As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Arkham Horror] LCG! Board Game! A bunch of other spinoffs!

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Your Rex deck looks good although it seems like too many hand slot items and you're not really using all of his imported card slots. Quick thinking has natural synergy with his ability. It is also hard to build rex badly, he's pretty OP.

Same thing with Zoey about not taking all your off class slots. Might I suggest sleight of hand? It works great with upgraded guardian weapons like lightning gun or shotgun.

The third scenario is terrible. You're almost always better off waiting for the doom to advance and kill him than deal with your midnight masks leftovers unless you did really well or teched against it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ffg just announced its third big box expansion for mansions of madness 2nd!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/24/path-of-the-serpent/

$60, with some gorgeous serpent themed monsters. At this point, I think Mansions of Madness had gotten more expansions then even Arkham 2nd!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Whoa those look like good monster minis. The old ones were pretty terrible sculpts. I still hate those bases though

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Whoa those look like good monster minis. The old ones were pretty terrible sculpts. I still hate those bases though

Yeaaaah. They never even worked all that great with 1st edition! But at least it helps allow a rail system in my storage.

Edit: Took these for Facebook, quick and dirty.

VXeSsDyl.jpg

tYtPtnkl.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    whoa. That's a whole lotta monster organiation.

on the card front, I just started TFA with Ursula and leo. Managing two hands for the first time on my table was a little cramped but I wanted the classic expedition team pairing to tackle this. I felt like I did well, then I did the after scenario overnight part and ended up with Ursula taking a trauma, leo taking a mental and physical, and eating the last of our food and using all of our medicine so now I don't know what to believe about how well we did. But we have 5xp to regroup with, we cleared a path to etzali and ichtaca trusts us so hopefully those are all upside. I've heard this next one is brutal

edited June 2019
    whoa. That's a whole lotta monster organiation.

on the card front, I just started TFA with Ursula and leo. Managing two hands for the first time on my table was a little cramped but I wanted the classic expedition team pairing to tackle this. I felt like I did well, then I did the after scenario overnight part and ended up with Ursula taking a trauma, leo taking a mental and physical, and eating the last of our food and using all of our medicine so now I don't know what to believe about how well we did. But we have 5xp to regroup with, we cleared a path to etzali and ichtaca trusts us so hopefully those are all upside. I've heard this next one is brutal

The start is brutal and the expedition supplies are so punitive and pointless that I minorly spoiled myself on them and I don't feel bad. The spoilers were for what they do mechanically, not for spoilers. I'd say you did alright for totally blind.

I have never had a hard time with the 2nd scenario but I've always brought stuff that made the hard part not so hard for me. The first time by accident kind of, the second time very intentionally. Given your investigators you will probably have a hard time.

TFA is so hard and arbitrary in some places you shouldn't feel bad about failing it unless you specifically teched against it. The next scenario has one of those places. It will be much fairer on a second, not blind playthrough (although still a notable step up in difficulty from the previous two).

ChaosHat on
    Haven't done TFA, but it apparently gets a lot of hate in the AH LCG Facebook group.

Athenor wrote: »
    Haven't done TFA, but it apparently gets a lot of hate in the AH LCG Facebook group.

TFA has a few amazing scenarios that I think are among the best. It also has some of the worst scenarios. I think it's just really uneven but I really like the theme and the highs are higher than the lows are low so overall I like it. But there is a lot of hate for it.

The Depths of Yoth, City of Archives and Threads of Fate are all amazing. The only one I HATE is the Boundary Beyond. The rest are all okay/fine/meh.

I guess I should show the rest of my organizers, to give some idea of what I'm running.

Arkham Horror: LCG

My investigator cards, save for the latest pack, are in 18-card per page binders, with 2 factions per binder. My encounter cards are in a Go7Gaming case, and I also have the "Return To" organizers. The idea is that as campaigns get their "Return To" versions, I'll just rotate out the case -- but the standalones are starting to claim more space. I also have the chaos bag tokens in coin capsules.

BQvYEygh.jpg

Arkham Horror: 3rd Edition

I also went with Go7Gaming. I did do a slight bit of modification, lining the inside of their "chaos bin" in felt to cut down on the banging, then put all the chaos tokens in coin capsules as well. There really isn't much room in there during storage, but during a game it's okay because you don't use all the capsules.

The company was pretty straightforward that they'd release another organizer that fits in the next expansion to hold the city board tiles. I doubt they meant the $30 expansion, but rather whatever big thing is coming next. So for now I'm just using the temp tray, which does lift the lid. Also, I really need to paint the symbols on the provided mythos tray, as I like that about the papercraft one but I do love the durability of the wooden one.

3zuIQIEh.jpg

Elder Sign

Here, I went with Broken Token's solution. It's designed to be played right out of the box. I really like it! But it is on the pricier side. On the plus side, it holds ALL THE GODDAMNED EXPANSIONS they have come out with so far. The instructions don't cover all of it, but it does.

29DiudQh.jpg

I've had zero time to figure out decks for this weekend but I just stumbled on this 19xp Carolyn deck that someone posted that looks cool.

https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/12995/the-eygptian-psychologist-1.0

I'll have to throw together another deck to give us table options but this might be my best chance to give Carolyn a whirl in a full party game

If I was wanting to delve a bit beyond the lcg, would mansions of madness or the new edition of the Arkham board game be where you'd recommend I look first over the other?

edited July 2019
    I did some tweaks to these Zoey and Rex decks (thanks for the pointers @chaoshat!) and have utterly annihilated the first two scenarios in Night of the Zealot. Killed all 6 cultists with time to spare, etc. Going to run through Devourer Below the next couple days here and then start in on the Dunwich campaign with them I think.

Decks:
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409369
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409401

Zoey upgrades so far: Keen Eye, Vicious Blow 2 x2

Rex upgrades so far: Higher Education, Deduction 2 x2

Got 10xp to burn before scenario 3 also.

Ah_Pook on
    Higher ed is real good. It was way better when I didn't realize you needed 5 cards in your hand to activate it. But... It's still real good

edited July 2019
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I did some tweaks to these Zoey and Rex decks (thanks for the pointers @chaoshat!) and have utterly annihilated the first two scenarios in Night of the Zealot. Killed all 6 cultists with time to spare, etc. Going to run through Devourer Below the next couple days here and then start in on the Dunwich campaign with them I think.

Decks:
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409369
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/409401

Zoey upgrades so far: Keen Eye, Vicious Blow 2 x2

Rex upgrades so far: Higher Education, Deduction 2 x2

Got 10xp to burn before scenario 3 also.

Ten xp? That's a lot. Shotgun or lightning gun 2x is a pretty obvious pickup for Zoey. Since you have double prepared for the worst you could go 1x and try to play with other toys. On the other hand I'm not sure what else you'd really get that would be so effective. Police badge, beat cop, or I've had worse are all good options.

For Rex, upgrading your magnifying glasses and taking cryptic research is a slam dunk since research makes higher ed much easier and the glasses are just good. That's exactly ten. Deciphered reality can also be very strong. Pathfinder can also be a fine pick for Rex if you think the magnifying glasses are fine as is and would like to be a bit more mobile.

Also, congrats! I've never gotten all six in Masks. Are you planning on taking their upgraded decks to dunwich? If so you'll likely find it super easy. It's tuned for brand new characters. Also at the rate you're going you'll run out of stuff to spend exp on. Only core and dunwich right?
    Higher ed is real good. It was way better when I didn't realize you needed 5 cards in your hand to activate it. But... It's still real good

Higher ed is one of the best cards in the game. There's a reason they threw it on the taboo list.

ChaosHat on
    No I'm going to start back over with the base decks, I'm just doing a test run.

Oh wow I completely glossed over the fact that you killed all 6 cultists. That's crazy and I've never even come close to doing that. Great job!

I need to give Zoey another run soon. I think my work group died because 2 of them are just only focusing on their Kickstarter, which is fair but I really liked that Zoey deck and I was excited to start using the lightning gun I had just upgraded to.

edited July 2019
    Well, my kickass Ursula run came to an unfortunate end in Dim Carcosa. She was going through it pretty quickly but some bad luck on drawing too many baddies without any way to deal with them killed her before she could take out Hastur. It was really close though.

My wife is taking my daughter to visit some family for a few days this week so I have the house to myself (and the dog). I think I'm going to try to run through all released content for The Circle Undone. I haven't touched any of it since I wanted to wait until more of it was out so I didn't have to keep dismantling and rebuilding decks as new scenarios come out. Here's what I've got for investigators and my thought process.

Yorick and Marie.

I've long thought with Sixth Sense mystics could be primary clue gatherers and well, maybe Marie isn't the best one to test that with since she can splash Seeker and has a base 4 intellect. Marie has also interested me, screwing around with doom mechanics seemed fun. The Alyssa is in there to try to mitigate the Baron who is a fucking horrifying weakness, and once I decided I was stacking some doom why not throw in David Renfield, the Moonlight Rituals, and Calling in Favors. Forbidden Knowledge is also a way to mitigate my doom allies, killing them off as necessary. Arcane Research is super good, which synergizes nicely with the St. Hubert's Key which buffs the stats I want and heals my trauma. The Deny Existence and Fearless are also mitigation for sanity. The Fearless can probably be removed when I get Deny Existence level 5. The rest of it is for multi clue gathering, which was obviously a concern. Fingerprint kit almost made it in here although I felt it made the deck too expensive. Drawn to the Flame, Deduction, and the Rites of Seeking help with that, between all the intellect buffs she shouldn't have a problem picking up single clues.

Yorick is just here to kill shit for Marie. His entire build is based around how funny it is to consider Yorick tossing his gun at a monster in a last ditch effort with Act of Desperation, killing it, and then picking it up again realizing there were bullets in there all along. He might be leaning a little too hard into monster killing, I'm not sure what he'll do if there aren't any. He may need to find some room for Lantern/Newspaper/Look What I Found/Shovel. Lantern has obvious synergy with his ability but isn't really gonna help him clue, and I'm not sure he'll get to the "within two" part of Look What I Found. Shovel or Newspaper are probably the best, shovel being guaranteed and Newspaper being really strong when upgraded. On the other hand, Look What I Found doesn't take up any hand slots. May drop the coats for one of those options. There's also always the handy flashlight, which turns shroud 2 or less into guaranteed successes.

ChaosHat on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    No 3rd edition in the OP?

MrBody wrote: »
    No 3rd edition in the OP?

I haven't gotten a chance to update it yet, sorry. :( I'll take care of that tonight and update my images.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited July 2019
    Oh hey, a new standalone scenario. Murder at the Excelsior Hotel.

Also related:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5rRKieZhc

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh that's awesome! I assumed the gencon blob one would be the only standalone for the year

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    starting to get back into this after only playing the core set a few times (never getting further than starting Midnight Masks), what're good core tenants for deckbuilding here? should I be trying to make sure each deck can fill every equipment slot? should I be only putting in like 1 or 2 assets that can go in each one so I don't have redundancies?

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    starting to get back into this after only playing the core set a few times (never getting further than starting Midnight Masks), what're good core tenants for deckbuilding here? should I be trying to make sure each deck can fill every equipment slot? should I be only putting in like 1 or 2 assets that can go in each one so I don't have redundancies?

This really depends on your investigator and the strategy you have with them.

I'll say no, planning to fill every slot is not ideal and I don't think I've ever made a deck that even could.

How many assets per slot is even variable. Are you using a lot of guns or items with charges? You can probably have more. Are you using things with endlessly repeatable or static effects? Don't need as many.

edited July 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »

I've been listening to the Drawn To The Flame podcast recently, and theres a pretty good early episode about deck building (episode 16 specifically). The first x episodes that talk through the early card pool and basic concepts are good to listen through.

Ah_Pook on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Hmm. Amazon has the core set for $28 US with free shipping, is that a good price?

That's the same price as I paid with an employee discount at the game store and I considered it a good deal

edited July 2019
    thats $3 higher than the lowest its ever been, and pretty averagely where it usually is. its a solid price, as long as you know that you will probably very shortly afterwards set a giant pile of money on fire.

Edit: not sure if you have experience with any other LCGs or X-Wing or anything, but the core set does not offer a ton as far as longevity or gameplay options. If you find the basic gameplay interesting enough to want to play the actual game you're looking at another $100-150 investment to buy a second core and a deluxe expansion+cycle of mythos packs.

Ah_Pook on
    alright... i might have picked up MoM because i wanted to use the minis presumably both games which i will play and enjoy but definitely for the LCG

Woo I just "won" my second campaign in the lcg doing carcosa with Jim and Yorick. I started with some lists on arkham DB this time, but they had a lot of starting cards i didn't really like so these decks morphed quite a bit (though i never really had a chance to get rid of a second wind in the yorick deck that i almost exclusively used as a skill card)

MVP was probably anytime Dr. Elli was holding an enchanted blade.

Carcosa was a hell of a ride and it's definitely less of a clear cut winning resolution especially with the epilogue where both of my investigators escaped carcosa possessed and apparently are now putting on their own production of the king in yellow. it came down to the wire where i was very hopeful that investigating the palace was the key to "the secret" to defeating hastur (i can say that now that I'm done right... right? oh no), but in order to finish it i'd have to take 3 opportunity attacks from them being right there with us and if i failed one of the tests yorick was going to take lethal horror from a possessed treachery i couldn't get rid of, but they already had lethal damage on them when i learned the secret and they just vanished before our eyes.

jim Deck
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/437710
    Yorick Deck
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/437717

Not sure what's next for me. I started a dunwich run with a coworker as Mihn(me) with Mark and we made bank on the first scenario with 5XP but he has to send me the upgrades he wants before the next time we work together or we can't really keep going and i'm not lugging my entire player card box.

Woo I just "won" my second campaign in the lcg doing carcosa with Jim and Yorick. I started with some lists on arkham DB this time, but they had a lot of starting cards i didn't really like so these decks morphed quite a bit (though i never really had a chance to get rid of a second wind in the yorick deck that i almost exclusively used as a skill card)

MVP was probably anytime Dr. Elli was holding an enchanted blade.

Carcosa was a hell of a ride and it's definitely less of a clear cut winning resolution especially with the epilogue where both of my investigators escaped carcosa possessed and apparently are now putting on their own production of the king in yellow. it came down to the wire where i was very hopeful that investigating the palace was the key to "the secret" to defeating hastur (i can say that now that I'm done right... right? oh no), but in order to finish it i'd have to take 3 opportunity attacks from them being right there with us and if i failed one of the tests yorick was going to take lethal horror from a possessed treachery i couldn't get rid of, but they already had lethal damage on them when i learned the secret and they just vanished before our eyes.

jim Deck
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/437710
    Yorick Deck
    https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/437717

Not sure what's next for me. I started a dunwich run with a coworker as Mihn(me) with Mark and we made bank on the first scenario with 5XP but he has to send me the upgrades he wants before the next time we work together or we can't really keep going and i'm not lugging my entire player card box.

Carcosa is a good time! I really like the themes and playing on madness and delusion. My friend and I are about to wrap up a run. We're doing a mulligan on the last scenario because we got crushed by some bad encounter deck draws and who knows when we'll make it around to doing the whole campaign over again together since it's taken us about five months to work through base, Dunwich, and Carcosa and we have two more to go through.

It's been a much tougher run than I would have expected so far. Joe is kind of a mediocre fighter unless you spec into it, his unique guns are only +1 fight and there are plenty of fours to fight so you don't feel great against it. The enchanted blades have been money on him.

He's playing Rita and I kind of resent him for it! She's not good at getting clues and she can't really kill anything. She dodges real good but sometimes you do have to kill things. He has the bow which, having used it once in an Ursula deck and having seen him use it this time, I think is a bad card and a trap. So I end up doing all the clueing, and a lot of the murdering, and my Joe isn't really specced for it since we were hoping Rita could handle it. So I end up burning through bullets and blade charges really quickly and just being sad.

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I got a group together. We pooled our money and bought 3 core sets and Dunwich Legacy expansion with all the mythos packs.

The gaming group fell apart after a while, but my cousin and I have been having fun playing this 2p (I kept all the stuff :biggrin:).

The core set was really fun and brutal. We finished it and moved on and "beat" the 2 Dunwich Legacy scenarios. The expansion was tough for my character. I picked Daisy for card draw and clue finding, but the first scenario
    attacks your deck and checks your discard pile
    and the second scenario
    had little to no clues in the first half of the agenda/act
    My cousin picked Zoey as her character so that game plan has been fine so far. Don't get me wrong though, I am having fun so far. We're having close and interesting games, but I'd rather not have a dead hand for the entirety of a scenario :rotate:

Should I be rethinking my character a bit for the future? We're gonna start the first mythos pack (Miskatonic Museum I think).

Armoroc on
    Armoroc wrote: »
    I got a group together. We pooled our money and bought 3 core sets and Dunwich Legacy expansion with all the mythos packs.

The gaming group fell apart after a while, but my cousin and I have been having fun playing this 2p (I kept all the stuff :biggrin:).

The core set was really fun and brutal. We finished it and moved on and "beat" the 2 Dunwich Legacy scenarios. The expansion was tough for my character. I picked Daisy for card draw and clue finding, but the first scenario
    attacks your deck and checks your discard pile
    and the second scenario
    had little to no clues in the first half of the agenda/act
    My cousin picked Zoey as her character so that game plan has been fine so far. Don't get me wrong though, I am having fun so far. We're having close and interesting games, but I'd rather not have a dead hand for the entirety of a scenario :rotate:

Should I be rethinking my character a bit for the future? We're gonna start the first mythos pack (Miskatonic Museum I think).

it's kind of in the push pull of the game. it sounds like you both are playing pretty specialized characters which can be a super good combo (you sweep up clues, I take care of enemies) and can also feel a little lackluster if one of those elements is missing from a scenario. So you can pack a few just in case tools (something like mind over matter or shrivelling are great things to have in your pocket for those times). The rest of the campaign is definitely more balanced between both needs.

i just pulled the first daisy deck I saw on this database to give you an idea (and this one is built for solo play so they likely have some more aggressive enemy management options in their deck but you can see how they've balanced clue finding and encounter/enemy management) https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/101/knowledge-overwhelming-solo-deck-1.0

edited October 2019
    If I was wanting to delve a bit beyond the lcg, would mansions of madness or the new edition of the Arkham board game be where you'd recommend I look first over the other?

Late reply, but MoM is basically Cthulhu Hero Quest with an app playing dungeon master.

3rd edition Arkham Horror is basically the card game without the deck building or linked campaign. They lifted a ton of mechanics from the card game where the combat and evading are almost the same.

MrBody on
    Did anyone have their eye on the upcoming Final Hour? Looks very strange. Like they were aiming for some kind Arkham Horror using the Gloomhaven dual card system? Then the ultimate goal is deducing which symbols are needed to commence the ritual to banish the ancient one.

I actually have a copy of Final Hour from GenCon, it’s neat. At work, might try to post some more on it when I get home. Actually reminds me a little of Pandemic, but with more shotguns.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Found this thread. I love these games. I especially love the LCG, where I have every card ever printed for it. Even promo cards.

I am a bit obsessed.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.