Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

17475777980100

Posts

  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    It's great that, unlike season 1, all 3 stage finals have been PogChamp

    l5pfwe2qivac.jpg
    mightyjongyoBionicPenguin
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    best playoff finals yet imo

  • TexiKenTexiKen Registered User regular
    Good for Shanghai, hit the dab.

    And with that let goats die forever.

    eb3XA8M.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Say it with me:

    🦀 GOATS IS DEAD 🦀

  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Say it with me:

    🦀 GOATS IS DEAD 🦀


    🦀 IS GOATS DEAD? 🦀 Show me evidence cause idk what happened.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Say it with me:

    🦀 GOATS IS DEAD 🦀


    🦀 IS GOATS DEAD? 🦀 Show me evidence cause idk what happened.

    I'm pretty sure that the only reason teams are giving DPS a real go is 2-2-2 is on the horizon and teams that failed to do well with goats have no reason to throw themselves at the brick wall when that wall is being torn down next stage. Better to get a leg up on the next meta and get your DPS out of mothballs.

    That combined with teams that played Goats super well completely forgot how to not play goats. Like the casters kept saying how Shock was adapting, but really, their adaptations were mostly trying to either mirror or goats variants that work better against DPS.

    SirToasty
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    part of that is also probably that shock had been preparing to face titans in the finals

  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited July 15
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Say it with me:

    🦀 GOATS IS DEAD 🦀


    🦀 IS GOATS DEAD? 🦀 Show me evidence cause idk what happened.

    I'm pretty sure that the only reason teams are giving DPS a real go is 2-2-2 is on the horizon and teams that failed to do well with goats have no reason to throw themselves at the brick wall when that wall is being torn down next stage. Better to get a leg up on the next meta and get your DPS out of mothballs.

    That combined with teams that played Goats super well completely forgot how to not play goats. Like the casters kept saying how Shock was adapting, but really, their adaptations were mostly trying to either mirror or goats variants that work better against DPS.

    If teams were prepping for 2-2-2, I feel like it's safe to assume that they would do so by playing 2-2-2, not by playing triple dps comps.

    I would also assume that while low tier teams might be willing to just give up on this stage and start practicing for the next one, that stage playoffs are NOT the place where we're gonna see that happen. Teams are gonna run their best strategies.

    In these playoffs Shanghai were mostly running DPS comps into the three best goats teams, and they won.

    The meta is actually pretty fluid right now, but goats definitely doesn't have a stranglehold on the pro meta anymore.

    Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    l5pfwe2qivac.jpg
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.

  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 15
    Have I recently mentioned I hate 222?

    Actually, that's not true. It can work sometimes, if you have enough damage. It's just a composition. I don't hate it.

    What I actually hate is the assumption that 222 is the only "valid" comp, as though if people find that some other comp is working for them, then something must be "broken" with the meta.

    Part of that is my main (Mei) is not a great fit for typical 222's, because she cannot crank out the raw damage of a ex. Junkrat, Bastion, Reaper, Tracer, etc. So her presence requires the other DPS to sort of pick up the slack. Doing so should be easier, because frozen people are easier to shoot at, but it is still a heavy burden. She's not the only one in this camp. Damage is too large of a category with too much diversity to assuming "having two of them" is the same regardless of which two you have.

    If you roll 123 instead, now it is a Tank that has the "heavy burden" of solo tanking. Which, depending on who is playing that tank, may work much better than expecting Marlin Rando Reapers to realize they are the main source of damage in the team and act accordingly.

    In my experience tank and heal mains tend, on average, to have better situational awareness and teamwork than DPS mains. And I say that as a DPS main that is constantly trying to improve my situational awareness, especially teammate positioning and alive/dead status.

    If they hard code 222 into the game I'm going to be furious.

    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    ChancemightyjongyoPhoenix-DFrem
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I can't see them doing 2-2-2 in Quickplay, so there's at least that and the arcade.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.

    From the bulk of the posts on this forum that sounds like how comp is now. Outside of gooses.

    steam_sig.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I can't see them doing 2-2-2 in Quickplay, so there's at least that and the arcade.

    I don't know. It's been a while, but IIRC, One Hero Limit kind of creeped its way into the game slowly, starting in Comp and then taking over everything, until all that was left is an occasional No Limits arcade mode.

    Now that was a marked improvement... I wouldn't go back. I do still think limit=2 might have been very interesting, but admittedly it may not have worked well (we'll never know), and limit=1 has, in practice, worked out fine.

    But I am not pleased with the general design of given these categories too much emphasis.

    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Say it with me:

    🦀 GOATS IS DEAD 🦀


    🦀 IS GOATS DEAD? 🦀 Show me evidence cause idk what happened.

    I'm pretty sure that the only reason teams are giving DPS a real go is 2-2-2 is on the horizon and teams that failed to do well with goats have no reason to throw themselves at the brick wall when that wall is being torn down next stage. Better to get a leg up on the next meta and get your DPS out of mothballs.

    That combined with teams that played Goats super well completely forgot how to not play goats. Like the casters kept saying how Shock was adapting, but really, their adaptations were mostly trying to either mirror or goats variants that work better against DPS.

    If teams were prepping for 2-2-2, I feel like it's safe to assume that they would do so by playing 2-2-2, not by playing triple dps comps.

    I would also assume that while low tier teams might be willing to just give up on this stage and start practicing for the next one, that stage playoffs are NOT the place where we're gonna see that happen. Teams are gonna run their best strategies.

    In these playoffs Shanghai were mostly running DPS comps into the three best goats teams, and they won.

    The meta is actually pretty fluid right now, but goats definitely doesn't have a stranglehold on the pro meta anymore.

    Well, they still want to win. 2-2-2 doesn't beat goats, but triple DPS can. The thing is, it's been able to all season.

    Question. What actually changed in the patches between stage 2 and 3? The core of triple DPS is the Pharmacy, yet they haven't been touched all season. Reaper and McCree got buffs, but they're not even being played. The Doomfist buff is live, but pretty sure it's not for OWL. Hell even ignoring 3 DPS, what's with all the Sombra goats? She hasn't been changed either.

    The reality is goats has been dead for months. When Blizz made sweeping DPS buffs, nerfed armor, and sent Brig into the trash heap, things that all happened before stage one, goats was dead. The only sign of life it should have had is introducing Baptiste to replace Brig in the comp, but only Shock, just now, are actually running Baptiste goats.

    Innovation is extremely difficult and time consuming with no promises of payoff or results. It's always far easier to just play what everyone has collectively decided what is best, whether it Dive, or Goats, and beat them in the mirror. Innovation becomes refinement on the established meta which only makes it more difficult to dislodge as people spend hundreds of hours perfecting it, with hundreds more hours of seeing other teams perfecting it, that possible counters don't have the luxury of having.

    It goes all the way back to when Brig first came out and the pros gave a solid "meh". An extremely broken character designed to break dive won't break dive, cause pros just want to mirror and be better. el oh el.

    Teams that were getting stomped by Titans and Shock should have stopped running goats against them at the start of stage 2 if not the end of stage 1. The stubbornness/arrogance of pro play is for me the most frustrating thing to watch this season.

    Phoenix-DSirToasty
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Have I recently mentioned I hate 222?

    Actually, that's not true. It can work sometimes, if you have enough damage. It's just a composition. I don't hate it.

    What I actually hate is the assumption that 222 is the only "valid" comp, as though if people find that some other comp is working for them, then something must be "broken" with the meta.

    Part of that is my main (Mei) is not a great fit for typical 222's, because she cannot crank out the raw damage of a ex. Junkrat, Bastion, Reaper, Tracer, etc. So her presence requires the other DPS to sort of pick up the slack. Doing so should be easier, because frozen people are easier to shoot at, but it is still a heavy burden. She's not the only one in this camp. Damage is too large of a category with too much diversity to assuming "having two of them" is the same regardless of which two you have.

    If you roll 123 instead, now it is a Tank that has the "heavy burden" of solo tanking. Which, depending on who is playing that tank, may work much better than expecting Marlin Rando Reapers to realize they are the main source of damage in the team and act accordingly.

    In my experience tank and heal mains tend, on average, to have better situational awareness and teamwork than DPS mains. And I say that as a DPS main that is constantly trying to improve my situational awareness, especially teammate positioning and alive/dead status.

    If they hard code 222 into the game I'm going to be furious.

    There were rumblings that if the 2-2-2 goes through there may be some big rebalancing for characters to follow after. Namely for Brig. Hopefully, they finally take a real look at Mei because yeah she's been left in the dust with all these other DPS buffs they've been flinging around. Not to mention making tanking more fun to play in general, as tanking has increasingly felt shittier and shittier to do.

    It does make me wonder if that means that quickplay will have the restriction too and no hero locking will moved to arcade similar to no limits. Otherwise such rebalancing will make qp a mess.

  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited July 15
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.

    You will almost certainly have to pick a role before you queue up, for exactly this reason. Enforcing 2-2-2 without giving people a way to guarantee they get the role they want is a recipe for a trashfire disaster.

    Houk the Namebringer on
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    Quickplay is already nonsense where nobody plays main tank, balance for it really doesn't matter.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.
    Well no, the entire point of the lock is so you can turn comp into a role queue. And I can play dps without getting stomped because my ability with Genji is 500+ SR lower than my ability with Reinhardt

    l5pfwe2qivac.jpg
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Quickplay is already nonsense where nobody plays main tank, balance for it really doesn't matter.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.
    Well no, the entire point of the lock is so you can turn comp into a role queue. And I can play dps without getting stomped because my ability with Genji is 500+ SR lower than my ability with Reinhardt

    the problem with this is the same problem the mmo scene has had forever. The majority of people want to play dps. So if they force a role lock before queue, a lot of people are going to be waiting a loooooooooong time.

  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Quickplay is already nonsense where nobody plays main tank, balance for it really doesn't matter.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.
    Well no, the entire point of the lock is so you can turn comp into a role queue. And I can play dps without getting stomped because my ability with Genji is 500+ SR lower than my ability with Reinhardt

    the problem with this is the same problem the mmo scene has had forever. The majority of people want to play dps. So if they force a role lock before queue, a lot of people are going to be waiting a loooooooooong time.

    As a tank main, I'm ok with that. Maybe those people who constantly lock DPS will realize other roles can be fun, too.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
    BRIAN BLESSED
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Quickplay is already nonsense where nobody plays main tank, balance for it really doesn't matter.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    It's too bad that they're rolling out 2-2-2 right as the pros are breaking out of goats groupthink, but they need to get it out ASAP to make comp more bearable for us plebs

    Hah. You think comp is bad now, just wait until two people insta-lock DPS and another sulks and refuses to lock in a role.
    Well no, the entire point of the lock is so you can turn comp into a role queue. And I can play dps without getting stomped because my ability with Genji is 500+ SR lower than my ability with Reinhardt

    the problem with this is the same problem the mmo scene has had forever. The majority of people want to play dps. So if they force a role lock before queue, a lot of people are going to be waiting a loooooooooong time.

    it's either that, or you get game after game of people throwing or just being generally grumpy because they don't get to play the role they want. if we're gonna have this system, i'd much rather wait a little longer for a game where everyone gets to play what they want, than suffer through a bunch of matches where half the team is unhappy

  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    At some point you have to wonder why you've designed your game in such a way that it absolutely requires 2/3 of players to play roles that only maybe 1/4 of them really like.

    Zek on
    PailryderJackdawGinFencingsax
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    At some point you have to wonder why you've designed your game in such a way that it absolutely requires 2/3 of players to play roles that only maybe 1/4 of them really like.

    I agree with this both here and in the MMO space.

    Fencingsax
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My main point really is that there are not three roles. This game is just not that simple. Saying a hero is a "Damage Hero" tells you almost nothing about how that hero plays or how they can help the team. All it actually says is their health pool and healing throughput are probably moderate at best.

    The game released with 4 categories (Offense, Defense, Support, Tank), and I'd suggest that wasn't quite enough, but it was at least closer to the truth than the current state of things.

    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Chance
  • soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I don't disagree with that either! I generally find it aggravating to just declare this or that class/character/composition in any game as "non-viable" and then socially pressure everyone to not touch them. Anti-fun IMO.

    ChanceMonkey Ball WarriorFencingsax
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    My main point really is that there are not three roles. This game is just not that simple. Saying a hero is a "Damage Hero" tells you almost nothing about how that hero plays or how they can help the team. All it actually says is their health pool and healing throughput are probably moderate at best.

    The game released with 4 categories (Offense, Defense, Support, Tank), and I'd suggest that wasn't quite enough, but it was at least closer to the truth than the current state of things.

    Offense and Defense were bad categories, though. There are main tanks and off tanks, single target healers and AoE healers, etc. However, I'm fine with the simplified 3 categories. You don't want to get overly specific with that stuff.

    9MpLNPA.jpg
    Steam: MightyPotatoKing/King of the Impossible - Battle.net: PotatoKing#1893
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    2.7 to gold in 2 days
    woop woop

  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    2.6 for the last 3-4 seasons. My secret? Don't play comp.

    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    My main point really is that there are not three roles. This game is just not that simple. Saying a hero is a "Damage Hero" tells you almost nothing about how that hero plays or how they can help the team. All it actually says is their health pool and healing throughput are probably moderate at best.

    The game released with 4 categories (Offense, Defense, Support, Tank), and I'd suggest that wasn't quite enough, but it was at least closer to the truth than the current state of things.

    The Damage role was actually a concession to the complexity of it. They weren't trying to say that all those heroes are interchangeable - rather they were giving up on trying to classify exactly what role they each fill. That's on you, the game is simply saying that they aren't a tank or healer.

    ChanceKanaKwoaru
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've been spinning in circles on how to phrase and frame this for an hour, so let's go with laconic unordered statements:

    Nobody intentionally designs a game such that the majority of players aren't having fun. (For the team composition definition of "having fun", which is "playing the role you want to".)
    When designing a class-based game from the ground up, the fear of creating a pile of indistinguishable, interchangeable characters outweighs concerns of how the meta will form out of their abilities and the player base's preferences.
    The instinct is to create characters with clear mechanical differences: Reinhardt, Mercy, and so on.
    When competing for team slots, specialists will drive out generalists and hybrids.
    A team of specialists in different fields will outperform a team of generalists.
    Tank-like and healer-like abilities reinforce themselves and each other.
    Therefore, the optimal composition tends to have multiple Tank and Support specialists, which most players don't want to play.
    The only way around this is to practice extreme trigger discipline in the design of non-combat abilities; e.g. pinning healing at Zenyatta/Lucio and tanking at Zarya/Brigitte.
    I can't fault Blizzard for not seeing that three years ago.

    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    I think the solution, if they actually want to address this, is to redesign both tanks and supports to be less specialized. Change Rein/Orisa to no longer be "main tanks," all the tanks are now brawlers akin to Roadhog, or divers like Winston. Similarly give the support characters better combat capabilities, and reduce their healing to be more supplemental. Yes it definitely normalizes the roster in a way that not everyone will like, and the reduction/removal of shields as a game element will mean a ton of things have to change downstream. That's an Overwatch 2 level of change, and I'm not sure if they ever really want to do that even in a new game.

    One big drawback to this is that some people really enjoy being a pure healer, and Overwatch is pretty unique in its ability to provide that in an FPS format. I think you could figure out a way to keep a character or two like that (i.e. Mercy) while reducing their impact so they're viable but not required. Maybe give her other support abilities beyond her healing.

    Zek on
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    Had a great play in an FFA last night as Mei.

    Out-duel a McCree, then get ambushed by a Tracer. I Iceblock, but break early in case she has pulse bomb. She did, and ends up wiffing it. I throw up Ice wall to hide in a corner. The big brain move is I throw down my ult just to zone out the Tracer from getting in close and just punching me to death and get her in a range I can head shot her.
    It works! I didn't F9 it, but hey, there is a replay system now, so I grabbed the clip in obs.

    Brutal J on
    ChanceMonkey Ball Warrior
  • Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    oh... Summer games just went live out of no where. Okay.

    Brutal J on
    Pailryder
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Registered User regular
    Those are some good skins, i like genji and hanzo's in particular.

  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    Holy shit.


    Edit: only 4 new legendaries. Super disappointing.

    Chance on
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • CoinageCoinage The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter Registered User regular
    Finally a skin to reflect the canon that Torb has fucked more any other hero

    l5pfwe2qivac.jpg
    ChanceKana
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 16
    My main point really is that there are not three roles. This game is just not that simple. Saying a hero is a "Damage Hero" tells you almost nothing about how that hero plays or how they can help the team. All it actually says is their health pool and healing throughput are probably moderate at best.

    The game released with 4 categories (Offense, Defense, Support, Tank), and I'd suggest that wasn't quite enough, but it was at least closer to the truth than the current state of things.

    Offense and Defense were bad categories, though. There are main tanks and off tanks, single target healers and AoE healers, etc. However, I'm fine with the simplified 3 categories. You don't want to get overly specific with that stuff.

    I agree, they were bad names, and they put the wrong heroes in them. I only meant that four is better than three.

    I also agree that this isn't a big deal today. I'm... maybe not fine, but at least willing to accept the existing categories, but only while they remain informal guidance and not a concept baked deep into the mechanics of the game. As soon as you start doing things like limiting how many of them you can have and setting up independent queuing, the glaring deficiencies of doing this with only three groupings with the existing hero diversity suddenly becomes kind of a big deal.

    edit:

    Oh look, a new Mei skin I probably won't get only because the universe always conspires to ensure I never get the new Mei skin.

    Why yes I am still a little sore about having been a few hundred gold short of affording the watermelon skin when the event ended, how could you tell?

    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 16
    Chance on
    OuFrYk0.jpg
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Fencingsax
  • JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    My main point really is that there are not three roles. This game is just not that simple. Saying a hero is a "Damage Hero" tells you almost nothing about how that hero plays or how they can help the team. All it actually says is their health pool and healing throughput are probably moderate at best.

    The game released with 4 categories (Offense, Defense, Support, Tank), and I'd suggest that wasn't quite enough, but it was at least closer to the truth than the current state of things.

    Offense and Defense were bad categories, though. There are main tanks and off tanks, single target healers and AoE healers, etc. However, I'm fine with the simplified 3 categories. You don't want to get overly specific with that stuff.

    I agree, they were bad names, and they put the wrong heroes in them. I only meant that four is better than three.

    I also agree that this isn't a big deal today. I'm... maybe not fine, but at least willing to accept the existing categories, but only while they remain informal guidance and not a concept baked deep into the mechanics of the game. As soon as you start doing things like limiting how many of them you can have and setting up independent queuing, the glaring deficiencies of doing this with only three groupings with the existing hero diversity suddenly becomes kind of a big deal.

    edit:

    Oh look, a new Mei skin I probably won't get only because the universe always conspires to ensure I never get the new Mei skin.

    Why yes I am still a little sore about having been a few hundred gold short of affording the watermelon skin when the event ended, how could you tell?

    You get the Mei skin automatically if you wing 9 games during Week 2. Considering that most people do this anyway through arcade you should be fine. Happy Mei day!

    Monkey Ball Warrior
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    only 4 legendaries but they're each must-haves imo

    also i called that hammond skin from a zillion miles away

This discussion has been closed.