As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    The thing with Vettel is that he's never been the most level headed when it comes to actually competing. If something goes against him he loses his head and throws a tantrum that would make a two year old blush. In his Red Bull days nobody seemed willing to confront him about it either. I suspect similar happens at Ferrari.

As for his current state, who knows? I'll give him 2014 since he had clearly checked out of RB. There's an argument that he started to fall apart about this time last year in Germany (and the radio for that is still painful to listen to). It's a pity as, when he turns up, I still rate him as a better driver than Leclerc. He just hasn't turned up much recently. Canada seems to have hurt him badly, but to be a championship contender you have to be able to get over bad days and move onto the next race.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I agree up until the part about Leclerc. I think Leclerc has a much higher talent ceiling, and he already has mental maturity well beyond his years. I don't think Seb is some kind of garbage tier driver, but I think he's been exposed as having a rigid driving style that makes it hard to adapt to new cars and as having some issues with anger and distraction as you said.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, I think Rossberg retired at the right time. Right off a high of winning the championship, and probably not able to retain an equal chair at Mercedes to Hamilton, and seeing how everything else is going...

Yeah, he was the smart one.

Yeah, I meant current Leclerc vs on-form Vettel. I agree that Leclerc has a lot of potential but he still has a way to go before he's the complete package. He's certainly made a few costly mistakes already. On outright pace it's a bit of a wash in my opinion. When Leclerc is quick, he's very quick, but on the other hand Vettel could still crack out laps like the pole lap for Canada. Of course all this is a bit undermined by his current form...

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Poor Vettel just cant catch a break. Reading the F1 Paddock Diary that RaceFans.net does for each race, Vettel got into an accident (he was the passenger) with a double decker bus while leaving the circuit after the race. https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/15/paddock-diary-british-grand-prix-day-four-2/
    Pack up and depart media centre, then head for England’s south-west coast and the Channel Islands for a brief break before the German Grand Prix. At the main exit I hear a loud crunch as the beige Maserati Levante ahead crashes into a double-decker bus, causing some rather expensive front-end damage to the Maser.

Out of the passenger to check the damage steps a rather annoyed looking Sebastian Vettel, who must clearly be wondering whether his driver mistook the red bus ahead for Max Verstappen’s Red Bull. I guess the chauffeur will face something more serious than a 10-second penalty…

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Awww yeahhhhh

steam_sig.png
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Assuming that works as intended and lets cars follow more closely I'm all for it. The current cars are crazy fast, but can often make for boring action on the track, as we are all too aware.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    W Series this weekend will also feature a reverse grid race; no points are on offer for the drivers as it's just a trial run at this stage, but it'll be livestreamed on all the official W Series social media.

Jazz on
    I picked up Motorsport Manager Mobile 3 on the Play Store the other day. I had one of the Motorsport Manager versions on PC and found it frustrating. All the setup options didn't make sense, and it seemed to be totally random if you could improve a setup or not.

However, I cannot stop playing the Mobile 3 version. It is so good. Race setups are now managed through resources with a risk/reward mechanic that is very clear.

It's only $6 and worth several times that.

Jazz wrote: »
    W Series this weekend will also feature a reverse grid race; no points are on offer for the drivers as it's just a trial run at this stage, but it'll be livestreamed on all the official W Series social media.

Considering how poorly she qualifies and how much she kills it in the race, my money is on Koyama coming out on top.

SBS On Demand has apparently stopped uploading races for this so I'm gonna have to hunt down another source >>

steam_sig.png
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I picked up Motorsport Manager Mobile 3 on the Play Store the other day. I had one of the Motorsport Manager versions on PC and found it frustrating. All the setup options didn't make sense, and it seemed to be totally random if you could improve a setup or not.

However, I cannot stop playing the Mobile 3 version. It is so good. Race setups are now managed through resources with a risk/reward mechanic that is very clear.

It's only $6 and worth several times that.

It looks to be 4 dollars on iOS right now. I enjoyed the PC version, but never could quite figure out some of the strategy. Stuff I would do that seemed "correct" to me in terms of real race cars wouldn't always work (especially around fuel and tire stuff).

Maybe I'll check out the iOS version.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    W Series will count towards F1 superlicence points as of next year, making it a full-on stepping stone to F1.

Kimilainen and Powell on pole and 2nd with nothing to lose, with championship contenders Chadwick and Visser in 3rd and 4th with a lot to lose.

Hoping for a good race!

edited July 2019
    W Series:
    Good scraps between Kimilainen/Powell and Chadwick/Visser, and apparently a four-way fight for 6th but the director hardly let us see any of it. Kimilainen absolutely flying after Powell's mistake and takes a dominant win - which must be especially sweet after her brutal start to the season.

A poor day for Garcia and Wohlwend drop them out of championship contention, but it's still all to play for for Chadwick and Visser at the season finale at Brands Hatch.

Now I need to figure out if I can get there...

And of course there's the reverse grid race tomorrow too! Should be good fun, not sure yet if I'll be able to watch that live or if I'll have to catch up with it later. It'll be all over W Series' social media channels so those of you who are having difficulty getting to watch, it should make life a lot easier for you guys!

Jazz on
    Watching Lando Norris and Max Verstappen drive in the 24 hours of Spa in iRacing. It's cray to think we're at a point in sim racing where real, professional drivers are mixing it up with us weekend plebes in endurance events. Or even that an F1 budding star is streaming the whole thing (Lando).

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Watching Lando Norris and Max Verstappen drive in the 24 hours of Spa in iRacing. It's cray to think we're at a point in sim racing where real, professional drivers are mixing it up with us weekend plebes in endurance events. Or even that an F1 budding star is streaming the whole thing (Lando).

Oh man, just found his Twitch. It's surreal, to be honest.

EDIT: Also Lando trolling Max because of his constant leaving track boundaries (1x's). :lol:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    The line-up for the W Series reverse grid race tomorrow is going to be in reverse order of the current championship standings:
    Please excuse the copied-from-a-table formatting:

Position Driver Number Driver
    1 49 Megan Gilkes
    2 58 Sarah Bovy
    3 67 Shea Holbrook
    4 77 Vivien Keszthelyi
    5 99 Naomi Schiff
    6 2 Esmee Hawkey
    7 21 Jessica Hawkins
    8 37 Sabré Cook
    9 3 Gosia Rdest
    10 20 Caitlin Wood
    11 11 Vicky Piria
    12 31 Tasmin Pepper
    13 26 Sarah Moore
    14 85 Miki Koyama
    15 7 Emma Kimilainen
    16 5 Fabienne Wohlwend
    17 27 Alice Powell
    18 19 Marta Garcia
    19 95 Beitske Visser
    20 55 Jamie Chadwick

It'll be run the same as a regular championship race, at 30 minutes plus one lap; just with no points on offer.

It'll be interesting to see if the championship leaders can carve through much of the pack, and if those up front for the first time can put in a good showing too. There was some overtaking at Assen today, albeit not easily, so should be good.

Unfortunately it's at (for me, at least) stupid o'clock in the morning - 8am UK time, apparently! I hadn't realised that.

The race is on while I'm at work but if it's on their social media stuff I'll be keen to catch it tonight!

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2019
    TeeMan wrote: »
    The race is on while I'm at work but if it's on their social media stuff I'll be keen to catch it tonight!

Yeah, catching up should be easy for this one.

Livestream will be here:

https://youtu.be/hpgD50_J3ig

Other social media platforms are available. :wink:

Jazz on
    edited July 2019
    Well I was way off my prediction for who would perform well in a reverse grid. Guess when you're far enough back you just protect the metal for the next race

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

They just finished. If you can, find a way to watch the last ten laps or so. It’s amazing.

Spoilering what happened:
    Max finishing the race, up about a lap and a half in first. His actual brake pedal falls off. Everyone thinks he is joking. He’s not! Brings the car to rest against a barrier to get towed to pit and switch drivers. After frantically doing math and getting Lando back in, they have still about 30 seconds of lead left with about five or six laps remaining. Incredibly intense and hilarious.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Aw here we go. The VOD is up. If this doesn’t link right, start at 7:20:00 and just enjoy the ride.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/455811652?t=26403s

Edit to avoid triple posting:

Like seriously, this was great:

davidsdurions on
    Well I was way off my prediction for who would perform well in a reverse grid. Guess when you're far enough back you just protect the metal for the next race

Try telling Alice Powell that!

Cracking race.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Works when you're doing a single reverse grid race as a trial. Doesn't work when all of them are reversed. I'm not sure this race was a great demonstration of what a reverse grid race looks like.

Dhalphir wrote: »

Works when you're doing a single reverse grid race as a trial. Doesn't work when all of them are reversed. I'm not sure this race was a great demonstration of what a reverse grid race looks like.

It was a lot of fun, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdalHDSQRDk

Don't agree with everything he says, but I kinda get his point.

Right now I would be very receptive to a BOP situation in F1 just to get some good racing again.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I don't agree with his sentiment regarding safety, drivers dying for our entertainment is not something we should hold in high regard, however, I agree with him about the strength of the cars.

Cars lose their front wings just by driving over a bump sometimes. The slightest touch can render a car near unraceable. Maybe that's okay? I think it'd be better if they could hold up to some more punishment, though.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Front wings wouldn't be a problem if they just got rid of them! And the rear wings too, to balance the cars out!

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Front wings wouldn't be a problem if they just got rid of them! And the rear wings too, to balance the cars out!

Would you really watch an F1 race with cars that are a minute slower per lap?

If yes, stop lying to yourself. Edit: Everyone here asking for the removal of aero is basically asking for NASCAR, and I know for a fact I'm the only one here that watches NASCAR.

Edit 2: by You, I dont really mean chrishallet83, but instead mean "everyone asking to get rid of aero"

Veevee on
    edited July 2019
    F1 cars didn't have wings until 1968 anyway :wink:

A big issue with the current front wings, as I see it anyway, is that the part where the wing itself is attached to the two struts holding it to the nosecone, is incredibly small. Almost like it was designed to hold a wing that was mounted several inches further back. I don't know exactly why the car designers have gone that way, but strengthening that alone might make at least some difference.

Jazz on
    If they look like this, I'm in :P
    w3e0pxo2fvsn.jpg

Except for the fact that they were death traps, of course...

As far as strengthening the cars, as long as there is no need, they won't spend a single gram doing so. And honestly I like the part where they have to be careful driving them.

I would fix the fact that we are not getting close racing first, then worry about the flying car parts. That and getting the stewards to agree what the heck deserves a penalty and what does not.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Vettel Qualifying
    Time to replace the engine and gearbox and get all the grid penalties?

Veevee wrote: »
    Vettel Qualifying
    Time to replace the engine and gearbox and get all the grid penalties?
    Shit, might as well.

Ferrari chuck away another good opportunity.

Quali
    Ferrari in a nutshell. Great pace all weekend, both cars blow up in quali when it matters.

Loving the Merc retro livery and outfits! Also quite happy with the outcome, even if it was a bit inevitible. Merc aren't as invincible as they seem though with RB mixing it up a bit more lately.

edited July 2019
    altid wrote: »
    Quali
    Ferrari in a nutshell. Great pace all weekend, both cars blow up in quali when it matters.

Loving the Merc retro livery and outfits! Also quite happy with the outcome, even if it was a bit inevitible. Merc aren't as invincible as they seem though with RB mixing it up a bit more lately.
    Red Bull could really mix it up with Merc tomorrow. Especially if it's wet. But clearly, even in the dry.

It was so damn close in so much of qualifying that hopefully there'll be good scraps. Merc vs Red Bull up front, and the potential for most of the midfield to be mixing it up with each other, and the Ferraris fighting their way through from the back - plus maybe even Norris and Albon doing similarly up to a point.

Jazz on
    edited July 2019
    FYI: 16 hours left in the 24 hours of Spa.

Looks like GT cars only. No prototypes that I can see.

Veevee on
    Leave it to Ferrari to make me feel sympathy for Vettel.

It’s going to be interesting with Verstappen on Softs while everyone around him is on the Mediums. I wonder if he’ll be able to capitalize and then undercut onto fresh Mediums?

Or it could rain. I love me an occasional rain race.

FYI: 16 hours left in the 24 hours of Spa.

Looks like GT cars only. No prototypes that I can see.

When it’s been running it has been a fun race to watch. They just announced a 1 hour red flag as I was going back to watch again. Bummer.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Would you really watch an F1 race with cars that are a minute slower per lap?

If yes, stop lying to yourself. Edit: Everyone here asking for the removal of aero is basically asking for NASCAR, and I know for a fact I'm the only one here that watches NASCAR.

Edit 2: by You, I dont really mean chrishallet83, but instead mean "everyone asking to get rid of aero"

If you think the only difference between F1 and NASCAR is the wings on the F1 cars, then I can't in good conscience have a conversation with you on the topic.

As for lap speeds, I don't give a shit. The numbers don't have to keep getting smaller, the racing needs to be closer and more exciting. Is there anyone for whom the primary driver behind their enjoyment of watching F1 is that the 2019 cars are slightly faster than the 2018 cars? Is there a contingent of F1 fans with notepads comparing average laptimes year over year instead of watching the racing?

The F1 race is upcoming. Cars getting in the grid with inters and wets. Oh boy oh boy.

This discussion has been closed.