As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The blower coolers are hot garbage and actively hinder the GPU from getting to it's peak performance consistently. Just wait a bit for an AIB with a real cooler on it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The blower coolers are hot garbage and actively hinder the GPU from getting to it's peak performance consistently. Just wait a bit for an AIB with a real cooler on it.

Not to mention the thing overclocks like a dream, and that cooler basically kills any chance of that.... unless you wanna put it on water, in which case go straight ahead if you don't want to wait for a Toxic.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Alright, I'll suffer through a few weeks of integrated graphics and wait for the AIB cards.

Is there a firm release date? I'd like to know how long I have to play Destiny 2 in 480p.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    For you ITX guys that still want a 3900x:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX20NspCpa4

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Anyone have any recommendations for some curved monitors for some friends?

I think they want > 23" and I think also g-sync. I can't seem to find much that aren't $1k a pop. But something tells me that's the nature of the g-sync beast. Maybe best not to get ones that are g-sync

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    What the heck is AIB? Context suggests people mean the reference design.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    AIB is a third-party board partner.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    There are a few good ones on sale today/tomorrow but I don't know specifics off the top of my head. PCWorld has a roundup article for Prime Day. I know there's a 38" Dell U3818DW for $790 right now

The curved widescreen monitor at Drop.com (formerly Massdrop) would have been one of my recommends but it's not GSync (it's Freesync but I'm not sure if it will work with GSync).

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It stands for "add-in-boards" because the 3rd parties are still buying the chips and then adding in their own board? or something? It's a dumb term lol

I dunno why but lately i hear it way more often whereas a decade ago it was just non-reference or 3rd party

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i made my own thread on this but figured i would throw this here.

We just had fios gigabyte set up today. right now the router was installed in the garage. which is fine for most of our stuff except my gaming PC is in our office which is on teh second floor.

Since we had some dead spots in our wifi coverage i was thinking of setting up a mesh router system. I was between the google system and the eero. there is an amazon deal for the eero and google

eero + 2 beacons is 200

3 pack google is 220.

the issue is the ethernet wiring. i can "easily" do some wiring to get from garage to the pc but it will take some time.

though gwifi has ethernut access that would allow for me to just plug that in to the pc for now until i get to wiring. eero does not so would require wires to office

i currently have my old plan still so not immediate rush but hassle is hassle.

thoughts?

camo_sig.png
    edited July 2019
    mts wrote: »

We just had fios gigabyte set up today. right now the router was installed in the garage. which is fine for most of our stuff except my gaming PC is in our office which is on teh second floor.

Since we had some dead spots in our wifi coverage i was thinking of setting up a mesh router system. I was between the google system and the eero. there is an amazon deal for the eero and google

eero + 2 beacons is 200

3 pack google is 220.

the issue is the ethernet wiring. i can "easily" do some wiring to get from garage to the pc but it will take some time.

though gwifi has ethernut access that would allow for me to just plug that in to the pc for now until i get to wiring. eero does not so would require wires to office

thoughts?

I setup a Orbi based system for my dad maybe 2 years ago? It runs super super well and the mesh system was very very easy to setup.

Looks like wirecutter still recommends it as their number 1 pick actually - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

that article is worth a read, they talk about all the competitors too

edit - the eero is their runner up

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    It stands for "add-in-boards" because the 3rd parties are still buying the chips and then adding in their own board? or something? It's a dumb term lol

I dunno why but lately i hear it way more often whereas a decade ago it was just non-reference or 3rd party

I thought those were custom. Man, that terminology is all messed up. An add in board could be a PCIE flash drive!

eero + 2 beacons is 200

3 pack google is 220.

thoughts?

I setup a Orbi based system for my dad maybe 2 years ago? It runs super super well and the mesh system was very very easy to setup.

Looks like wirecutter still recommends it as their number 1 pick actually - https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

that article is worth a read, they talk about all the competitors too

edit - the eero is their runner up

Yeah, sorry that it isn't the one you mentioned but I also have an Orbi and it was super easy to set up and has been very reliable. I have no experience with the other systems, though.

yea the reason i was leaning away from the orbi was the price. though today costco has the 3 pack for 320

that said looks like the rbk40 is 220
    or i can get the rbk22 for 150

camo_sig.png
    yea the reason i was leaning away from the orbi was the price. though today costco has the 3 pack for 320

that said looks like the rbk40 is 220
    or i can get the rbk22 for 150

the eero seems like a great product from what I read about it on wirecutter just now

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I just got the orbi yesterday.

I like it, it's kind of hinky for power users, but so far so good (I like how the kit I have has ethernet jacks for the satellite stations)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    you all arent help my choice. that said with teh 80 buck drop i am learning to the orbi from costco is it is 40 more than the 2 pack on amazon for the extra satelite

camo_sig.png
    I've heard good ones about the google mesh, but it's much less configurable.

This may not be an issue for you since you're not using it for yourself or work or anything like that.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Kinda dissapointed in SSD sales today. Was looking to snag another Sata drive but doesn't really seem like there is anything in the 1-2tb range for Prime Day.

I almost got a mesh wifi system to fix my issues at my house but then I read up on what you actually had to do to install it with ATT Uverse internet/tv and then decided not to. The local REMC is working on rolling out fiber to the whole area and I plan on going mesh once that is available. In the meantime I think I mostly fixed my wifi issues with a $35 WAVLINK extender.

steam_sig.png
    i am stuck in a flip flop loop. will wait on this until tomorrow i think

camo_sig.png
    run ethernet everywhere
    buy Ubiquiti Unifi APs

that's your real answer

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    run ethernet everywhere
    buy Ubiquiti Unifi APs

that's your real answer

Or Ruckus APs...

FIGHT ME

That_Guy wrote: »
    run ethernet everywhere
    buy Ubiquiti Unifi APs

that's your real answer

Or Ruckus APs...

FIGHT ME

7mlfvlglidv1.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ7jJx9PJk

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • KlytusKlytus Registered User regular
    @mts
    Fwiw Eero routers are managed using only a smartphone app... this may not always pose a problem but it did lead me to return mine.

edited July 2019
    does this seem like a good basic bitch 27" 1080p monitor? https://www.newegg.com/asus-vp278h-p-27-full-hd/p/0AY-00PU-00012?reviews=all
    nice and cheap, no reason to spend a few hundred more for a 4k monitor since I probably can't push 4k with a good framerate with my 1060 anyway.

You may as well get the cheapest G-sync certified Freesync monitor, those will work with literally any GPU design currently being built, sold new or in the pipe for a significant improvement.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    Yea it's a dilemma. Ultimately I think I want to hard-line the router upstairs. It is more the I don't really want to do it right now.

I'm thinking eventually it will be something like

Ont -> switch (a, b) - > a runs up to attic switch which can the split into upstairs rooms. - > B runs to living room/wap downstairs things.

I was thinking something like Google wifi could in the meantime be a wire point for upstairs but later used as a mesh

camo_sig.png
    edited July 2019
    Looking for some case advice. I currently have a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000, which is like 12 years old at point. It's still a good case, but it's really dated and I'm frankly getting tired of looking at it. When I do a new build I want to finally get a new case, and I'm trying to focus on cases that: A.) are pretty muted in terms of look, B.) are fairly quiet but C.) won't cause parts to melt.

Right now two cases have caught my eye:
    Cooler Master SL600M
    Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2

I think from reviews the CM case performs better, but I just love the look of the BQ case (and it still performs well). If you guys have any suggestions on cases that kinda fit in with those I'd love to hear them. Price isn't a huge concern, but not like Cosmos C700M-level not a concern.

EDIT - The Fractal S2 Mesh seems pretty nice as well.

A duck! on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Kinda dissapointed in SSD sales today. Was looking to snag another Sata drive but doesn't really seem like there is anything in the 1-2tb range for Prime Day.

Yeah, my brother was all excited about the WD Black NVME (1tb) he ordered. When he asked me if it'd fit in his motherboard (he had to remind me that it was my old Z87 Gigabyte board)...I felt bad that I had to crush his excitement by telling him that he'd need an adapter to use the drive. He was sufficiently bummed about it that he canceled the order. To make up for that, I linked him to the 1tb Samsung 860 Evo for $130. His excitement was renewed that there was some kind of non-adaptered upgrade for his system.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Is this a good deal?

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready CFX Graphcis Card (RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Y93L8F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7ptlDbT9ZVD7Z

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @A duck! Check out the Phanteks cases, too. Plus there's always the NZXT H500i or the Corsair Carbide series.

Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Is this a good deal?

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 570 256-bit 8GB GDRR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready CFX Graphcis Card (RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076Y93L8F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7ptlDbT9ZVD7Z

The original Armor 500s were hot garbo, so no.

• Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I have a single google wifi device in my condo and I really like it. I don't need my router/AP at home to be super super configurable, I do enough of that kind of shit at work. I literally plugged it in, set it up, and have never had to think about it again. That to me is worth more than what I paid for it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I have an Asus AC1900 in my 2400sq ft house with concrete walls and I can still get on my WiFi from my neighbors front yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7NzNi1xX_4&feature=youtu.be

The overall gist of things is that Zen 2 seems to set it's power and clocks to whatever the cooling solution allowed automatically, and it's best left to it's own devices. Focus your tweaking and OCing on the RAM.

edited July 2019
    Yeah there may be some potential other issues that are causing these problems but for now overclocking the new Ryzen probably not worth the effort. I mean you can do an all core overclock if you really want to but does anyone really need it? Probably not. In the future the issues may be fixed and the quirks may be identified and then it might be worth revisiting.

Also on RAM OCing there looks to be some issues that exist with it switching to a higher power draw when running 3600 or higher speeds. So even there you might want to be careful until all the issues are identified and fixed.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    i ended up grabbing 2 eero pros + 1 beacon in a mish mash combo. slightly more than the google but significantly cheaper than orbi and I get the ethernet ports to put off wiring for now.

camo_sig.png
    Evga 2080's on sale for the next 30ish minutes...
    https://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2080

Also can get another 5% off with an associate code for someone...

Really tempting but can't really justify getting a 2080 myself until I've seen what the 2080 Supers are going to look like price and performance wise.

steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Newegg has sale prices on an i7 CPU and an ASUS mobo for an even better price than Amazon:

https://www.newegg.com/core-i7-9th-gen-intel-core-i7-9700k/p/N82E16819117958

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119151?Item=N82E16813119151

So now my new build is just waiting for a video card. Which may still be a bit.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
This discussion has been closed.