As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    i did bardam's mettle in leveling roulette yesterday and the tank said "sorry just to let you know i'm not super well geared right now" and then immediately pulled the first three packs

*my healer's brow twitches sympathetically*

miraculously, we only wiped once, but he sure had to use his "you can't die for X seconds" skill a lot

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I've run across a few less than friendly people in HoH. Not my fault you're in a foul mood for running it repeatedly, so don't take it out on the rest of the group.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    i did bardam's mettle in leveling roulette yesterday and the tank said "sorry just to let you know i'm not super well geared right now" and then immediately pulled the first three packs

I'm curious, because I haven't actually really looked at the dungeon gear (or any of the Shadowbringer leveling gear); but does Shadowbringers have the same armor stat curve that SB did?

Because I distinctly recall, and it was Bardam's Mettle, where the ilvl of the leveling gear slightly edged out augmented Shire gear, however the difference in the armor stat was dramatic and as a tank you'd go from just plowing through prior dungeons and suddenly the exact same gear might as well have been tissue paper. Somehow when I leveled PLD and WAR I never ran into that, or the 69 dungeon (I can't recall the name) so I didn't notice, but on DRK I got both, and the latter was the last dungeon I did before hitting 70, which I didn't hit until I got the bonus from the dungeon, but it was absolute hell on the healer (I apologized profusely, it was just bad luck that the final dungeon I needed before I capped and actually had gear, was the final leveling dungeon and I was undergeared for it, because ilvl and armor were vastly different between HW and SB gear). EDIT: And since it was only armor that had this curve, and not stats, tanks were pretty much the only jobs effected by this. Having a 270 set vs a 274 or whatever, for every other job was virtually indistinguishable; but for tanks it was life or death.

I started just holding onto gear I got in the Shadowbringer dungeons just in case, but I do like looking pretty while I level. But it was jarring.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I'm curious, because I haven't actually really looked at the dungeon gear (or any of the Shadowbringer leveling gear); but does Shadowbringers have the same armor stat curve that SB did?

Because I distinctly recall, and it was Bardam's Mettle, where the ilvl of the leveling gear slightly edged out augmented Shire gear, however the difference in the armor stat was dramatic and as a tank you'd go from just plowing through prior dungeons and suddenly the exact same gear might as well have been tissue paper. Somehow when I leveled PLD and WAR I never ran into that, or the 69 dungeon (I can't recall the name) so I didn't notice, but on DRK I got both, and the latter was the last dungeon I did before hitting 70, which I didn't hit until I got the bonus from the dungeon, but it was absolute hell on the healer (I apologized profusely, it was just bad luck that the final dungeon I needed before I capped and actually had gear, was the final leveling dungeon and I was undergeared for it, because ilvl and armor were vastly different between HW and SB gear). EDIT: And since it was only armor that had this curve, and not stats, tanks were pretty much the only jobs effected by this. Having a 270 set vs a 274 or whatever, for every other job was virtually indistinguishable; but for tanks it was life or death.

I started just holding onto gear I got in the Shadowbringer dungeons just in case, but I do like looking pretty while I level. But it was jarring.

There's a little hump between the 75 and 77 leveling gear but not as extreme as the hump in Stormblood. The trust system is great if you feel papery since you can run the leveling dungeons a few times to catch up on gear and the trust healer won't say a word.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Shadowbringer MSQ over and done with and the only thing I'm really feeling is relief that it is finished. It wasn't bad but the stop/start nature of the thing really killed my enjoyment and I would really have liked it if at some point I had been allowed to simply murder the idiots asking me to do chores while the world was about to go splat.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It was definitely paced differently, though I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing
    The act breaks were a bit too clean; Heavensward MSQ felt pretty great because it felt so Final Fantasy. You had your party, and a goal, and you walked there, encountering people and obstacles along your way.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    new thread time huh?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh. I didn't realize Sephirot is 60. Cause I have no idea what that even is. It sounds like Sephiroth only spelled wrong.

It's a reference to Sefirot, from Kabbalah. Jewish mysticism.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4ddd33c83933ec4ad3dccb0e6538bbb9e85e63e7

5.01 notes

Actions have been adjusted as follows:
    Lancer/Dragoon
    Disembowel Duration has been increased from 24 to 30 seconds.

Scholar
    Art of War MP cost reduced from 800 to 600.

Astrologian
    Gravity MP cost reduced from 700 to 600.

The new raid dungeon Eden's Gate has been added.

Disciple of War or Magic level 80
    Average item level 425 or above
    Eight players
    Time Limit 90 minutes

Rewards

Treasure coffers that appear upon completing Eden's Gate will not yield gear, but instead yield tokens that can be traded for gear of your choosing.

You can only receive one token per individual Eden raid each week. In the event you are awarded a token from the loot list, you relinquish your right to vie for all remaining tokens regardless of whether you selected Need or Greed.

Also note that there is no weekly restriction on entering Eden's Gate.
    * Reward eligibility will be reset every Tuesday at 1:00 a.m. (PDT).

Head - Helm of Early Antiquity x 2
    Body - Armor of Early Antiquity x 4
    Hands - Gauntlets of Early Antiquity x 2
    Waist - Belt of Early Antiquity x 1
    Legs - Chausses of Early Antiquity x 4
    Feet - Greaves of Early Antiquity x 2
    Accessories - Bangle of Early Antiquity x 1

Item Exchange

The items obtained from treasure coffers can be exchanged for gear by speaking with Ghul Gul in Amh Araeng (X:26.6 Y:16.4) or Yhal Yal in Eulmore (X:10.0 Y:11.5).

Completion Reward

Upon completing Eden's Gate: Sepulture, players can also earn a blade of early antiquity once per week. This reward can be exchanged with Ghul Gul in Amh Araeng (X:26.6 Y:16.4) or Yhal Yal in Eulmore (X:10.0 Y:11.5) for lightweight tomestones, which can in turn be exchanged for weapons.
    * Reward eligibility will be reset every Tuesday at 1:00 a.m. (PDT).
    * Weapons will be available for exchange for lightweight tomestones after the introduction of Allagan tomestones of phantasmagoria, which are scheduled to be released two weeks after patch 5.01.

And then the usual stuff, new story quests bug fixes etc.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Is that how raid loot normally works for new raids? Because it sucks ass.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Pretty much, its a month of loot locks to get a full set for one role. Its much worse for NIN/DRG since they don't share gear with the rest of their role.

Granted, the normal raid gear is mostly for glamour since the weekly tome gear (coming with savage) is better.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/3d2b82b4623e7780153532690eea475c013eae02

Sargatanas is no longer fully congested. Means there will be times you can make new characters there!

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oooh, Art of War mana reduction is nice considering how much we spam that during trash.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Is that how raid loot normally works for new raids? Because it sucks ass.

Yup. That's how FF14 does current content.

The layout APPEARS to be the exact same as Alphascape's token drops.

iowntu4kftte.png

If so, then we have this chart:

Eden's Gate 1
    Bangle of Early Antiquity (Accessories)
    Greaves of Early Antiquity (Feet)
    Belt of Early Antiquity (Waist)

Eden's Gate 2
    Bangle of Early Antiquity (Accessories)
    Greaves of Early Antiquity (Feet)
    Helm of Early Antiquity (Head)

Eden's Gate 3
    Gauntlets of Early Antiquity (Hands)
    Chausses of Early Antiquity (Legs)
    Helm of Early Antiquity (Head)

Eden's Gate 4
    Gauntlets of Early Antiquity (Hands)
    Chausses of Early Antiquity (Legs)
    Armor of Early Antiquity (Body)

Meaning, you can get a max of the following per week. (Note that this is not inclusive, getting one means you cannot get the others):

Bangle of Early Antiquity x2 (Accessory x2)
    Greaves of Early Antiquity x2 (Feet x1)
    Belt of Early Antiquity x1 (Belt x1)
    Helm of Early Antiquity x2 (Helm x1)
    Gauntlets of Early Antiquity x2 (Gloves x1)
    Chausses of Early Antiquity x2 (Legs x 0.5)
    Armor of Early Antiquity x1 (Armor x 0.25)

In order to get the...

Armor, you must farm Eden's Gate 4, 4 weeks in a row and get the drop each time.
    Legs, you must farm Eden's Gate 3 and 4, 2 weeks in a row and get the drop each time.
    Gloves, you must farm Eden's Gate 3 and 4, Twice
    Helm, you must farm Eden's Gate 2 and 3, Twice
    Belt, You must farm Eden's Gate 1, Once
    Feet, You must farm Eden's Gate 1 and 2, Twice
    Accessories, You must farm Eden's Gate 1 and 2, Once per (4 times? Earring / Necklace / Bracelet / Ring )

So presuming you're going for the Armor and Legs fastest, that means:

Week 1-4: EG4, Armor Token Drops
    EG3, Leg Token Drops
    Week 5: EG3, 4: Glove Token drops

Week 1 and 2, EG2 needs to be used to get the Helm token drop.

Leaving EG1 throughout for Belt/Boot/Accessory drops, and EG2 on week 3/4/5 for accessory/boot drops.

Or, to put it in a chart:

y4jdtxe0lyec.png

Now, here's the fun part. Everyone else is going to be competing with you for these drops.

That means it might be wiser to put off aiming for the Leg / Armor drops until after week 1-4, so you aren't fighting everyone on your server for them. We also don't know the iLevel of these drops, so the drops from the Extreme trials might be better. (I suspect not, however.)

Also, weapon... 10 weekly tokens, or 4? I think it was 10 and then changed to 4 later last go around?

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    We need to prove our worth as allies in battle to these pirates.
    I know, i'll go do some fetch quests for them that probably don't require me to fight, or even leave the village, that'll do it.
    /facepalm

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    We need to prove our worth as allies in battle to these pirates.
    I know, i'll go do some fetch quests for them that probably don't require me to fight, or even leave the village, that'll do it.
    /facepalm

Careful now, you don't want to run afoul the awesome might of the imperial navy.
    dxgdmup4qh2m.jpg

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Lyse: We can't stand by and let innocent people suffer.
    Me: Yes we can, we do it all the time. If we didn't, Lolorito (among so, so many others) would be dead and Ishgard would be painted in red by the blood of the high houses.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    868rzscl3ckq.png
    The raids drop 8 tokens each this time around, not 4, so it makes farming for stuff a lot easier.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    did previous raids do that at the start as well or is that truly a new thing?

I didn't get into raiding until after omega was already done

• Options
    It's been that way for the 8-man stuff since Alexander(HW), with the 24-mans dropping a combination of currency(e.g. Mhachi money) and actual gear.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    KiTA wrote: »
    Welp.

6qyHm5G.png
    Cvp8kV6.png
    IPplYl3.png
    mQiynZO.png

All four roles finished. Gonna go do the DRG 80 quest then find out what this mysterious new quest that appeared in the Crystarium Bar is.

Bonus? Dragoon ShB Relic Set has TAIL ARMOR

7dDwyeY.png

11/10 best expansion ever

The tail armor is there even for non-tailed races, fwiw

Delzhand on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    did previous raids do that at the start as well or is that truly a new thing?

I didn't get into raiding until after omega was already done

Yes, the current content is always rate limited.

The new gear is i450. That means the extreme trials drop equivalent. Weapon, accessories, might be better obtained via that.

• Options
    Weapons are still only available from Titania right now. Accessories are available from Innocence. Armor/Accessories are available from Eden.

Right now, best bet is to go for armor from Eden and farm the rest from Titania/Innocence.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    868rzscl3ckq.png
    The raids drop 8 tokens each this time around, not 4, so it makes farming for stuff a lot easier.

Thats huge. Dropping only 4 tokens for 8 people was dumb.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm assuming the Armor/Accessories boss is the final boss. Maybe spoiler that? I already thought the last boss had been spoiled for me so I was pleasantly surprised when it was just the 79 trial. Now I've had it spoiled again.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    ph blake wrote: »
    868rzscl3ckq.png

Thats huge. Dropping only 4 tokens for 8 people was dumb.

Nothing will ever be as dumb as Molten Core bosses dropping 3 items for 40 people.

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm assuming the Armor/Accessories boss is the final boss. Maybe spoiler that? I already thought the last boss had been spoiled for me so I was pleasantly surprised when it was just the 79 trial. Now I've had it spoiled again.

The final boss is none of these, and neither drops anything nor has an EX version out. (yet)

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

No, Eden is just the name of the raid set. He's saying that currently you can only get those from it (as you'll need several weekly tokens for a weapon, and it may only match the current highest ilvl based on armor stats).

• Options
    Oh, good! Sorry for overreacting. I've just never taken so long to reach the end of an expansion and I keep learning things from unexpected angles.

I suppose the big question is whether it's actually impacted my enjoyment, and I guess... not, not really. Seeing the Exarch's hood come off wasn't any less impactful for the prior knowledge.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Plus raids like this and the 24 player ones come as their own story separate from the MSQ, though often loosely tied into the world in some ways, that takes 3 "tiers" to finish.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    For what it's worth, this raid feels more connected to the main story than anything since coils, so I'd be extra careful on spoiling specific floor boss names/story beats.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    First encounter spoilers, music, mechanic but without naming a specific
    Did 2 encounters and that first one was DOPE. The music and that attack. Holy shit the feels.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, this is a really newb-ish question, even though I've been playing for awhile. I've been slowly (oh so slowly) grinding through the HW zodiac weapon quests, and I'm coming up on the next stage (8/10 glowing symbols for the aetheric condensation). So, I'm wondering how do I do this whole glamour thing (never done it before) to save the appearance of the weapon I have? I read the wiki article on it, and from what I understand, you destroy the weapon to make a glamour out of it, but I need the weapon (and then lose the weapon) after I turn it in for the next stage of the quest.

Is there any way to save the appearance of the weapon but still move on to the next step?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So, this is a really newb-ish question, even though I've been playing for awhile. I've been slowly (oh so slowly) grinding through the HW zodiac weapon quests, and I'm coming up on the next stage (8/10 glowing symbols for the aetheric condensation). So, I'm wondering how do I do this whole glamour thing (never done it before) to save the appearance of the weapon I have? I read the wiki article on it, and from what I understand, you destroy the weapon to make a glamour out of it, but I need the weapon (and then lose the weapon) after I turn it in for the next stage of the quest.

Is there any way to save the appearance of the weapon but still move on to the next step?

You never destroy any gear for glamor. For the relic/zodiac weapons once you move past a step you can purchase the older versions of the relic/zodiac weapons for glamours.

You need to use a glamour prism (either buy from MB or make one) per item you want to glam.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I think those usually come with a vendor that will give you a replica of the previous steps for glam purposes.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think those usually come with a vendor that will give you a replica of the previous steps for glam purposes.

It's specifically tied to the achievements for each stage iirc.

Glamour prisms are pretty easy to come by - if you dont want to craft them just spend GC seals on em imo.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    So with Glamour, there are two slightly connected systems that each have their pros/cons.

The first system is what's talked about here, right-click on the item you want to keep equipped (for stats) and select "Glamour", then target a lower-level item in the menu that comes up. The selected item then takes on the appearence of the selected target and a Glamour Prism is used.

There's also the Glamour Dresser, items can be placed into the Dresser and then used to build a Glamour Plate (think a set outfit that you can select to apply those glamour appearances to every part of your equipped gear at once.) Putting an item into the Dresser takes one Prism but it can be taken out at anytime now.

The Glamour Plates system is nice if you have some outfits you want to always be able to quickly apply but not so great for constant tweaks or applying a glamour to one/a couple pieces of gear. It's also not great for weapon glamours, as adding a weapon glamour to a Glamour Plate means only the job that uses the weapon can successfully apply the Plate.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    So with Glamour, there are two slightly connected systems that each have their pros/cons.

The first system is what's talked about here, right-click on the item you want to keep equipped (for stats) and select "Glamour", then target a lower-level item in the menu that comes up. The selected item then takes on the appearence of the selected target and a Glamour Prism is used.

There's also the Glamour Dresser, items can be placed into the Dresser and then used to build a Glamour Plate (think a set outfit that you can select to apply those glamour appearances to every part of your equipped gear at once.) Putting an item into the Dresser takes one Prism but it can be taken out at anytime now.

The Glamour Plates system is nice if you have some outfits you want to always be able to quickly apply but not so great for constant tweaks or applying a glamour to one/a couple pieces of gear. It's also not great for weapon glamours, as adding a weapon glamour to a Glamour Plate means only the job that uses the weapon can successfully apply the Plate.

The last part is not true. If you have multiple jobs worth of gear on a plate, the current job you apply the plate to will only apply what glamours it can, i.e. if I have a rdm weapon and use the plate, it just won't touch my weapon.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The last part is not true. If you have multiple jobs worth of gear on a plate, the current job you apply the plate to will only apply what glamours it can, i.e. if I have a rdm weapon and use the plate, it just won't touch my weapon.

Ah. Thank you for the correction. Truly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's especially handy to have a good headpiece on a glamour plate and maybe some decent pants.
    I am not going to move forward into this plot cutscene with this weird torn facemask thing you just gave me and these speedo shorts.
    I had a pair of glasses I used for quite a while but have gotten kind of partial to some demon horns I picked up at one point.

From a time before glamour plates.
    ZkCdyC9.jpg

akajaybay on
This discussion has been closed.