As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new networking for.. umm...grandparents..yea grandparents

mtsmts Dr. Robot KingRegistered User regular
So we ...I mean my grandparents just got gigabyte fios installed in their house. the contract gives them free router rental for 3 years but with the idea that they will use their own.

Devices are a bunch of phones, tablets, streaming stuff, switch and upstairs is a gaming PC but with an 8 year old this could in theory expand to other PCs

The house is a 2 story concrete outerwall, inner wood framing. current wifi is mostly ok but we definitely have dead spots in the rooms on the opposite side of the house and outside.

The system comes into the garage. I need to snake an ethernet line to the attic but I thought ahead when we did some upstairs rooms and had some 5e line run through the walls into the attic. I have some ductwork to 'easily' get to the attic from the basement.

will eventually run an outlet to the living room but priorities.

So a couple of questions.
Since it is prime day what is a good router to look for? With the deadspots could I just plug an ethernet line into one of the wireless mesh systems?

In terms of security etc. what should I be doing in terms of setting these things up? I know nothing about networks etc.

babysteps are good.

camo_sig.png

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    You could grab any of the new mesh systems and be good. Set up the satellite units where you have dead spots or low coverage.
    Google Home
    Eero
    Orbi

All pretty good. If you want to go more traditional, I recommend any of the Netgear Nighthawk routers. (this is what I'm currently using: LINK)

The general idea for decent Wifi coverage is to use an "umbrella" effect: place the router centrally and in an upper floor. For mesh systems, you can be a bit more targeted on your placement. Set the base at a convenient location for ethernet, then place the satellites where reception is spotty (there are various wifi analyzer apps you can add to a phone or tablet and walk around your house).

Regarding security and such, it's pretty much plug-and-play unless you're looking for something specific. Just change the default admin password for the routers, and add a password for the wifi network (use WPA, not WEP).

Edit: you'll want to disable the wifi on the ISP-provided router, so that you have less interference and only have to manage one wifi network.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, there is a good deal on the eero but i don't like that the beacons don't have a plug for things if wanted. the google one you can do that.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Eero Pro 3 pack is also on a deal for Prime day at $299.99. Nice thing with that is you can keep the main node in the garage and put a second one in the attic. The system will run great with extra nodes wired in for the backhaul. The third one can sit in the middle somewhere as a bridge between them.

I have them for my house and set them up for my clients all the time. I swear by them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The Eero Pro 3 pack is also on a deal for Prime day at $299.99. Nice thing with that is you can keep the main node in the garage and put a second one in the attic. The system will run great with extra nodes wired in for the backhaul. The third one can sit in the middle somewhere as a bridge between them.

I have them for my house and set them up for my clients all the time. I swear by them.

hmm that does seem nice.

you would run a cable between the attic and basement right?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah. Sorry I had to reread what you wrote. Basically, one node in the basement, then one on the main floor and one in the attic. Run the Ethernet up later if you need to. You can run the setup process for the Eero and connect a wire later, I'll figure out that it needs to switch to a wired backhaul right away.

• Options
    I might just buy 2 single eero pros. Since I don't really need that third one. A single pro is $99 so 2 puts it cheaper than orbi not as good a deal as the Google but the eero seems better

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Google WiFi is pretty good as well. I've had very good luck setting them up in the past. Both Google WiFi and Eero are solid and I've never been called back to any client I've set them up for. But Google WiFi is a bit slower so if you're on fiber maybe not so good?

Fuck Orbi. And Velop, while we're on the subject.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    so basically my choice is

google wifi 2 for 180 , 3 pack for 220
    or

eero pro x2 for 200. I guess the 3 pack for 300 is in play but considering I don't think i need the 3rd and 200 is easier to convince. alternative

eero pro + 1 beacon and 1 pro for $250

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Option 3 is probably best for your situation, 2 might work fine though.

• Options
    yea I am thinking that is the way to go especially since beacons are 150 normally

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    and pulled the trigger on the pro/beacon and beacon combo

thanks
    @Shadowfire for helping me decide

camo_sig.png