As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New HD causing boot issues

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
So, here's my setup:

BIOSTAR NF4 4X-A7-COMBO31 AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX Motherboard/CPU Set

HIS Hightech H130H256N Radeon X1300 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Ready Video Card

POWER Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model MD441GUOE

Track 1 LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE

Plus an older 40GB hard drive, and a brand new 200GB hard drive. I have the DVD-RW drive and the older 40GB HD on one IDE cable, with the DVD-RW set to master and the 40GB HD set to slave, and the 80GB HD and 200GB HD on another IDE cable, with the 80GB HD set to master, and the 200GB HD set to slave.

Whenever I try to boot up my computer, I get a message that says "NVIDIA RAID IDE ROM BIOS 4.84," a copyright notice, then "Detecting array..."

It stays there for at least 5-10 minutes. I haven't waited it out any longer than that. The RAID stuff is disabled in the BIOS, however the BIOS also isn't detecting anything on any of the IDE channels. The computer was working fine before I installed the 200GB HD.

Help?

Thanatos on

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have heard legend of a BIOS limitation on addressing Hard drives over 137gb. Are you running the latest firmware version?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have heard legend of a BIOS limitation on addressing Hard drives over 137gb. Are you running the latest firmware version?
    I think I updated it shortly after I bought it. However, the mobo is only about 8 months old (I ordered it in late March). Would that be causing this type of problem?

Thanatos on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't have the HD and DVD drive on the same cable, see if that fixes it.

It might also have to do with 2 devices being set to master.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    I think I updated it shortly after I bought it. However, the mobo is only about 8 months old (I ordered it in late March). Would that be causing this type of problem?

I'm really not sure. I'm finding similar problem reports involving large hard drives not working right, the 137gb barrier on relatively new mobos, and unusually long post times; but nothing exact, and nothing involving the RAID controller hanging.

BioStar doesn't seem to deem its customers worthy of patch notes for their BIOS updates, so that was no help to me either.

All I can suggest is further isolating the problem by removing the other IDE devices, but I really don't expect that to work (unless you've jumpered them wrong or plugged them into the wrong IDE bus on the motherboard, ie: the RAID bus)

Edit: (My motherboard has 2 raid controllers IDE and SATA, something I hadn't realized without really looking as I think they were disabled in different places, maybe verify that as well.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    even if you have it set to master and slave in BIOS you may have to move some jumpers on the HDD itself.

I believe most of em come as Master while there are 3 options. it should either look like this on your HDD

M S C
    A L S (I'm pretty sure that's the letters)
    . . .
    . . .

or

MA . .
    SL . .
    CS . .

move the jumper on it to CS for cable select as I find that is the easiest way, then fix it in BIOS (or was it BIOS first?)

if it still doesn't work on that change them both to Master and set them on different IDE cables some of them aren't compatible on the same cable, though you mainly find it with DVD Players

again, and I say this to everyone, I'm not sure how much anyone here knows about computers, so i have to give like everything

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
    edited November 2006

I pulled just the DVD-RW and that didn't work, but that would make sense because the HD was set to slave. I pulled the HD, too, and everything worked.

Why would that do that?

Also, when I'm talking about the slave/master settings, I'm talking about the jumper settings. I've never really trusted cable select.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

I pulled just the DVD-RW and that didn't work, but that would make sense because the HD was set to slave. I pulled the HD, too, and everything worked.

Why would that do that?

Also, when I'm talking about the slave/master settings, I'm talking about the jumper settings. I've never really trusted cable select.

I'm not sure but for some reason different types of devices from different companies sometimes conflict.

but your new HDD works now but you don't have your DVD Drive plugged in?

edit: and cable select is AMAZING

plus if you set it jumper wise it won't actually be in bios that might be the problem if it still doesn't work

• FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    commie wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:

Why would that do that?

I'm not sure but for some reason different types of devices from different companies sometimes conflict.

but your new HDD works now but you don't have your DVD Drive plugged in?

edit: and cable select is AMAZING

I think he removed both the HDD and the DVD drive, sounds like it has a problem with having more then 2 HDD's from what I'm seeing.

And cable select is very helpful.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited November 2006
    DVD(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    80gb(Ma)----200gb(Sl)

Assuming this is right, you're saying you pulled everything off the primary bus and now the system boots?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited November 2006
    DVD(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    80gb(Ma)----200gb(Sl)

Assuming this is right, you're saying you pulled everything off the primary bus and now the system boots?
    I'm not sure whether it's the primary or the secondary, but yes, that would be accurate.

However, it's still not detecting the 200GB drive, just the 80GB drive (which is the one my OS is on). I'm gonna try booting it up with the DVD-RW attached again, see if it works, then install the driver disk that came with the HD.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    DVD(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    80gb(Ma)----200gb(Sl)

I'm not sure whether it's the primary or the secondary, but yes, that would be accurate.

However, it's still not detecting the 200GB drive, just the 80GB drive (which is the one my OS is on). I'm gonna try booting it up with the DVD-RW attached again, see if it works, then install the driver disk that came with the HD.

try setting it as

80Gb(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    200Gb(Ma)----DVD(Sl)

if that doesn't work switch which one is primary and which one is secondary.

if it's anythign like ram, hooking ram up

doesn't work as well or at all

you have to set it up as

edit:man if that doesn't work I give up.

• robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Maybe try updating the BIOS?

Also, although this should only apply to cable-select set drives, PATA tapes have connectors specifically for master and slave, with the slave one being gray.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

edited November 2006
    commie wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    DVD(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    80gb(Ma)----200gb(Sl)

try setting it as

80Gb(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    200Gb(Ma)----DVD(Sl)

you have to set it up as

D:

That would involve moving all of my hard drives. :cry:

Thanatos on
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    commie wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    DVD(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    80gb(Ma)----200gb(Sl)

try setting it as

80Gb(Ma)----40gb(Sl)
    |
    | Primary Bus
    |
    MB
    |
    | Secondary Bus
    |
    200Gb(Ma)----DVD(Sl)

you have to set it up as

D:

That would involve moving all of my hard drives. :cry:

yeah computers suck like that

edited November 2006
    did it work?

edited November 2006
    commie wrote:
    did it work?
    It's currently formatting the 200GB HD.

I'm gonna give a try to setting the 40GB drive and the DVD-RW drive both to Cable Select, and if that doesn't work, I'm just gonna transfer everything from the 40GB drive to the 200GB drive, then just unhook it until I need more storage space, which should be quite some time.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    commie wrote:
    did it work?

I'm gonna give a try to setting the 40GB drive and the DVD-RW drive both to Cable Select, and if that doesn't work, I'm just gonna transfer everything from the 40GB drive to the 200GB drive, then just unhook it until I need more storage space, which should be quite some time.
    aah that's all the itme i have tonight. I'll check back tomorrow, sorry

edited November 2006
    commie wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    commie wrote:
    did it work?

aah that's all the itme i have tonight. I'll check back tomorrow, sorry
    Eh, that's fine. I'm going with this (the cable select thing didn't work), and I don't anticipate any problems.

Thanatos on
  • robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You could always buy a PCI IDE controller or an external USB enclosure...

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

edited November 2006
    robaal wrote:
    You could always buy a PCI IDE controller or an external USB enclosure...
    If I ever need another 40GB of storage on this computer, I probably will.

I'll probably buy a new computer long before then, though.

Thanatos on