As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

1939495969799»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I had to take the heatsink off the corsair mp600 drive because it didn't fit under the taichi's x570 shroud

The heatsink didn't look any better than what the taichi was offering anyways.

I just gotta wait until I get home tonight because I don't have a video card at work I can cannibalize to get the system set up.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i ended up grabbing 2 eero pros + 1 beacon in a mish mash combo. slightly more than the google but significantly cheaper than orbi and I get the ethernet ports to put off wiring for now.

I think you made the right choice!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Evga 2080's on sale for the next 30ish minutes...
    https://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2080

Also can get another 5% off with an associate code for someone...

Really tempting but can't really justify getting a 2080 myself until I've seen what the 2080 Supers are going to look like price and performance wise.

I imagine that's why we are seeing these sales.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Evga 2080's on sale for the next 30ish minutes...
    https://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2080

Also can get another 5% off with an associate code for someone...

Really tempting but can't really justify getting a 2080 myself until I've seen what the 2080 Supers are going to look like price and performance wise.

I imagine that's why we are seeing these sales.

It's EVGA's 20th anniversary so they have a different product/product line on discount each hour.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I finally got to order a 3900x. It'll be here next week.

• Options
    MaijinamuroMaijinamuro Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    I finally got to order a 3900x. It'll be here next week.

I got mine for the few minutes Amazon was in stock this morning.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    @A duck! Check out the Phanteks cases, too. Plus there's always the NZXT H500i or the Corsair Carbide series.

I really like the Phanteks I got, the P400S. It's got that darkened tempered glass and is nicely understated. The RGB lights from components going through the glass looks nice as well.

Dixon on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dixon wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    "A duck!" Check out the Phanteks cases, too. Plus there's always the NZXT H500i or the Corsair Carbide series.

I really like the Phanteks I got, the P400S. It's got that darkened tempered glass slight and is nicely understated. The RGB from components going through the glass looks nice as well.

That's pretty sleek, thanks for the mention!

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm also a huge Phanteks guy. My Enthoo Pro M SE is the best case I've ever owned.

http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Pro-M-SpecialEdition.html

Obviously there is a version without a white interior, depending on what build color your going for. I also think there's a version without tempered glass.

e: Obligatory picture of my Phanteks builld:
    dcamU7E.jpg

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    whatever review sites were complaining about the taichi's pci-e fan being loud was out of their fucking mind

I can't even hear it over the ambient noise in my room even when I'm gaming

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Hmm, the EVGA 2080 TI Hybrid is $300 off on their sale, but the 2080 Supers are so clooooose.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I think the issue was if you have a honking hot 2080ti installed in the main PCI slot the overlap could cause heat issues with the chipset causing the fan to max out speeds which probably is loud.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd at least wait to see what the 2080 Super ends up being. If you're already in the "willing to spend 1100 dollars on a card" territory, you may save yourself 400 bucks for 90% the performance if the 2080 Super ends up being what we call assume it will be.

This is my sad face that it's unlikely the 2080 Ti will have any competition any time soon.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I think the issue was if you have a honking hot 2080ti installed in the main PCI slot the overlap could cause heat issues with the chipset causing the fan to max out speeds which probably is loud.

my 1080 is one of those super long pcbs that overextends on top of it, nothing

• Options
    edited July 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'd at least wait to see what the 2080 Super ends up being. If you're already in the "willing to spend 1100 dollars on a card" territory, you may save yourself 400 bucks for 90% the performance if the 2080 Super ends up being what we call assume it will be.

This is my sad face that it's unlikely the 2080 Ti will have any competition any time soon.

Yeah if they put the 2080TI Black Edition on sale for 20% off/$800 I would get that but the higher end sku is a no go with the Super coming soon.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Oh yeah, I'm definitely waiting. Reviews are out next week, right?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    bowen wrote: »

It's possible the tests were done on one of those fully open benchmark rigs. With nothing to muffle or deaden the sound as a normal case would, the high pitch whine from the fan could be noticeable.

Or maybe the reviewers were quite young and can hear the high pitched whine that those of us in our 30's and older can't.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »

It's possible the tests were done on one of those fully open benchmark rigs. With nothing to muffle or deaden the sound as a normal case would, the high pitch whine from the fan could be noticeable.

Or maybe the reviewers were quite young and can hear the high pitched whine that those of us in our 30's and older can't.

Oh man my young ears. It's so loud. Ow. Can't hear anything over it.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Cormac wrote: »

I'm 35 bruh I misread that, but maybe

bowen on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    edit: misread something because idiot

twmjr on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Gsync is kind of dying. NVidia supports Freesync on lots of monitors now and they tend to be cheaper than Gsync screens

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    What are the general thoughts on going from a 1070 to the 2060 super?

I don't see myself ever gaming at 4k but I will be gaming at 1440p. HWBench has the 5700xt beating the the 2060 super by 7% which seems negligible (maybe?). I know myself and the wait for for the 5700xt AIB cards is going to be very rough.

I know that I should wait but theoretically, would a 2060 super be a better choice than the reference 5700xt?

Ugh, I'm really really regretting selling my 1070 this early...

Appreciate any input.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    What are the general thoughts on going from a 1070 to the 2060 super?

I don't see myself ever gaming at 4k but I will be gaming at 1440p. HWBench has the 5700xt beating the the 2060 super by 7% which seems negligible (maybe?). I know myself and the wait for for the 5700xt AIB cards is going to be very rough.

I know that I should wait but theoretically, would a 2060 super be a better choice than the reference 5700xt?

Ugh, I'm really really regretting selling my 1070 this early...

Appreciate any input.

If it was me? I'd wait the month. The 5700xt with it's shit-tastic blower cooler is faster than the 2060 Super, stands to reason the regular AIB 5700xt's will be better than that. At the same or lower price I just don't think I could justify NOT waiting till August just to be sure, as $400+ is not an insignificant amount of dough.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    So the 3900X has been out for a bit and it's coming in at about the same price as a 9900K. Obviously kills it for productivity, but it's not like I do that nearly as often as gaming. And there at best it matches and at worst it's got about a 10% hit. Plus I play some single-threaded games e.g. Arma and SWTOR. 3900X/AM4 has an upgrade path, but let's be honest: I'm not going to ever replace the CPU once I buy it without doing a full system replacement anyway. 3900X does have more PCIE lanes, but I don't expect that to matter since all I intend to use is a GPU and max 2 NVME drives.

PCIE4 is a nice bit of future proofing and I definitely plan to replace my GPU every 2-3 years, but will it materially matter? a quick search shows performance drops of ~1% comparing PCIe 3 x8 vs x16, so it seems kind of...not necessary over the next couple years at least.

And of course the major fly in the ointment is it sounds like the z570 motherboards (and the new CPUs) are still going through some teething pains...and I don't want to deal with teething pains but I do want to upgrade this damn year since I've already put it off for a year and do not want to wait 6 months for motherboard makers to come out with a new rev of z570s.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    PCI-e 4.0 will matter more for storage than graphics in the medium term. with PCI-e 4, you can get a SSD running on 2 lanes at the same speed as PCI-e 3.0, meaning more efficient use of lanes, or potentially double the speed of current drives using 4 lanes of PCI-e 4.0. There aren't a lot of dirves available yet but I think by early 2020 we'll see PCI-e 4 drives that do take advantage of the additional speed.

on the intel side, the CPU has 16 lanes, of which are genearlly dedicated to the GPU. the chipset has another 24 lanes, however there is a speed cap, because 4 of those lanes are for communication of the chipset to the CPU. That leaves 20 effective lanes, but remember that it's still an effective speed cap of 4 lanes. Not the biggest deal in the world. But just something to be aware of. You wouldn't be lane limited, but you are speed limited.

Ryzen 3 on x570 does it better. the CPU has 24 lanes, 16 for GPU, 4 for the chipset, and 4 for one storage. This means on x570 you can have one nvme drive that is talking directly to the CPU instead of having to go through the chipset, that's a huge deal. The chipset pci-e lanes still have to go through a x4 channel to get to the CPU, but remember that PCI-e 4.0 is twice as fast as 3.0, so the speed cap is double that of an older system running 3.0. Between that and the primary nvme ssd connected directly to the CPU, there is a lot more effective bandwidth between chipset and CPU.

In real world performance in the short term, there won't be a ton of difference between an intel system/AMD x470 system and an x570 system. but by this time next year with a lot more PCI-e 4.0 SSD's around, it's going to make a difference. Especially on systems with multiple nvme SSD's in them.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.