As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Oh, and remember, you can always panel line afterwards :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    The plastic comes colored and will look fine out of the box so painting is optional. Some panel lining and a top coat will make it look a lot better for a minimal money and time investment.

I looked at a few videos of a top coat and its pretty glossy, I'm not sure I want to go that route.

Looking for inspiration with more of my chunky bois.

jesta%2Bhavoc%2B%25281%2529.jpg

I don't plan on biting off more than I can chew, but I can definitely afford to take my time.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Most people go with matte for topcoat. Not shiny at all.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    The plastic comes colored and will look fine out of the box so painting is optional. Some panel lining and a top coat will make it look a lot better for a minimal money and time investment.

I looked at a few videos of a top coat and its pretty glossy, I'm not sure I want to go that route.

I don't plan on biting off more than I can chew, but I can definitely afford to take my time.

now, i'm not saying you should buy a Jesta Cannon before you've even started on the others, but

you should buy a Jesta Cannon next

uc3ufTB.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

you got your armored core in my gunpla!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Ok, so saw this in the Big Bad Toy Store sale and figured I could ask here. What the heck is this? Is it a model or something else?

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/68040

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Robot Spirits is an action figure line. That specific product looks like it's just a Neo Zeong that can fit a Sinanju (not included) and a bunch of display stands for posing the Unicorn (also not included)

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah robot spirits or robot damashii are high end action figures

uc3ufTB.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Robot Spirits stuff are action figures in the 1/144 scale, like high grade or real grade Gundam. The reason this is so much less than the $400 Neo Zeong is because it's actually only about a third of the model, with just the Torso and Arms. The HG kit has the waist, boosters, and 4 additional arms that make up the backpack.

Ahhh gotcha ok. Thanks! I thought it was odd that a model would not include the other parts to make it complete.

Think my wife has some of those action figures but I didn't remember the name.

oosik_betsuni.png
    MSIA?

Heffling wrote: »
    MSIA?

Yeah, that sounds familiar.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit with my questions. Will go back to lurking and living vicariously through you all.

oosik_betsuni.png
    You're not derailing. We've got at least one collector of the Mobile Suit In Action (MSIA) action figures in the thread. We all love giant robot toys here.

Cool. Well I found out that the figures my wife had were not the MISA figures. So at least I know now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited July 2019

What you want in a topcoat is something that is very matte, because one thing military equipment does not try to do is be shiny, and thus easier to see and shoot. Products like Dullcote are popular for this.

Heffling on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oooh, this looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqqriXI8b1w

I'm firmly down the rabbit hole. Send help.

ONE OF US
    ONE OF US
    ONE OF US

uc3ufTB.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Oooh, this looks promising:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqqriXI8b1w

I'm firmly down the rabbit hole. Send help.
    I approve of the early 90s home economics video music&effects.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    If everyone will let me prattle on about my unrealistic robot dinos and kitties, then I'm sure no one will mind talk about actual gunpla. :)

Ooh, Oil Gunk Wash! That's exactly the kind of look I want to give my inner frames!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This could go into the Transformers thread, but I think it fits better here.

Holy FUCK does the new Jetfire toy need one hell of a panel lining session. Siege is all about tons of surface detail and grebeling, and with an all-white model it really doesn't look great.

This just... screams for the panel line marker.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    When you decide to put a project on hold cause you are on the water slide step and want to build stuff. So you start a new project that also comes with water slides...

lm98vsa71cba.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    w3ip2kdy3i9a.jpeg

Im happy how this smoke turned out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    The friend that Carl helped hook up with Shadow Fox is going to Japan in December.

As such, he's offered to run by the Kotobukiya store.

I might get my Gojulas at a reasonable price!

When you decide to put a project on hold cause you are on the water slide step and want to build stuff. So you start a new project that also comes with water slides...

lm98vsa71cba.jpg

Is that the Ozma Custom? Because I bought that kit last month and it just arrived. I'm in the same boat, I'm putting waterslides on my RG Sazabi.

Yeah its Ozma's Armored Messiah Valkyrie. Got it last night and built the base to get those bulky runners out of the way and just finished the cockpit.

steam_sig.png
    put on your red shoes

z6lfw4phry5o.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Athenor wrote: »
    The friend that Carl helped hook up with Shadow Fox is going to Japan in December.

As such, he's offered to run by the Kotobukiya store.

I might get my Gojulas at a reasonable price!
    I unwittingly started a chain of events that I, nor your wallet, could not even predict :biggrin:

I’m very happy for you and your friend :razz:

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    put on your red shoes

z6lfw4phry5o.jpg

Now I'm gonna have it stuck in my head...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbD_kBJc_gI

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Every time I see someone post their RG Sazabi build I want to build it again.

steam_sig.png

I feel weird now that I built it per instructions rather than the inner frame first.

edited July 2019
    Athenor wrote: »
    I feel weird now that I built it per instructions rather than the inner frame first.

it's more fun this way! also helps to have an action base while you armor it up

n3q7tiihwfd8.jpg

you're in luck, the RG Nu is out pretty soon

here's a cool trailer! (makes sense that they already have all these 3d models for their kits so why not animate them)

https://youtu.be/0z6w6hsv71s

and a 20 minute hands on with the actual kit

https://youtu.be/t7z1UDTLY4g

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png

I am building my 2nd RG Sazabi. =)

Oh, I should ask my friend to get the one with twin funnel racks on its back when he goes to Japan.

Sorry, one winged angels just aren't my thing. :)

Also - because EVERYONE is talking about it and because the OG Gundam isn't available for streaming anywhere, I'm watching Evangelion. Currently through episode 6.

i have the strong impression that Angel #4 might be one of the easiest gunpla models ever.

I like the under construction action base. Totally stealing that if I do an inner frame first build.

steam_sig.png
    well shit, i jinxed myself and broke the sazabi's adapter piece for action base

might see if i can salvage it with epoxy, worst case i'll have to drill a hole for regular pegs into the kit

uc3ufTB.png
    edited July 2019
    itshappening.gif

20190724_10thanniversary_parts_01.jpg

also i guess i gotta get two of the new hrududu deux to complement my two hrududu

ca5wqjnee5du.jpg

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That voodoo that Hrududu so well

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I... really gotta watch advance of z. All these suits are so good!!

Augh!!

I thought AoZ was a manga series.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Aoz is just a series of designs in a magazine. As far as im aware there isnt a actual story to it

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg