As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[3D Printing] A toy to build toys...New to the hobby....

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    KiTA wrote: »
    Anyone ever heard of a whambam?

https://whambamsystems.com/flexible-build-system

Somebody at work (IT company = lots of 3d printer owners) was talking about how great it is.

I switched to a glass surface on my Ender 3 and PLA prints just lift off once the surface cools down a bit. I have a buildtak-style print surface on the Kossel, and that's a pain to get things off of. So yeah, been considering a flexplate for it.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I use glass and stick a PEI surface on it. Prints are pretty much super glued to the bed.

Thankfully, I stick it in the freezer for 30-60 mins and the prints comes off.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    @Echo: Do you have anything on the glass or it just the glass?

edited July 2019
    It's made for the Ender 3 so it probably has some coating, but no extra PEI/whatever on top of it.

PLA I can just lift off of it once it cools down a little. If I don't want to wait I give the print a whack with my metal ruler which knocks it loose.

Echo on
  • TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I got the BLTouch bed levelling sensor installed on my Ender 5. That thing is magic and has saved me a ton of time. I also made the leap into my first CAD designed stuff, working on some early prototype box organizers for Command and Colors games with their giant piles of wooden blocks. The fact that I can imagine something and then make it appear practically out of thin air is pretty fantastic.

I also jumped on the Elegoo Mars after that price drop at the beginning of the month. Arriving today so I'm excited to play with that.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Two days of manual bed adjustments of my Ender 5 and slicer tuning in Cura but I finally got a first layer I'm happy with:
    uGa8KeE.jpg

I mean it's not *perfect* but after two days I'm ready to do some printing. Though I'm gonna have to go through the whole process again when my glass bed arrives...

mightyjongyo on
    I'm glad I never had first layer problems on my MP Select Mini's (the wiring crapping out is a different story...). TWO days? Even if that's only 1 hour a day, booo.

Glad you finally got it dialed in, though.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was pretty much most of Sunday + monday and tuesday night :(

It was a whole slew of issues really, I swapped out the demo roll that came with the ender for some Hatchbox PLA, which led to bad adhesion to the bed, so I spent some time trying painters tape and different print temps to try and get that dialed in, then when I finally got a good first layer the nozzle clogged, and after I cleaned that out I guess I didn't tighten the nozzle as much as before (not wiggling, but the depth was off) so the nozzle was scraping the bed and I had to start the whole process over starting with bed leveling.

Even then I'm still getting issues with sudden clumps coming off the nozzle which I think means my offset and/or flow are set too low/high respectively? But it's good enough to work with for now, I just really want to print something besides test layers right now, then I'll probably fiddle with it some more once the glass bed comes in and I have to redo it anyway.

I've always used a brim and 180 for PLA (with and without bed heat/painters tape) for adhesion and never had issues really, but of course if something is set up wrong that won't help.

...yeah, I need to switch to either glass or a flexplate for the delta printer. Wargaming terrain with a large flat surface gets hella stuck to this buildtak.

Me in five years.

(That's the Prusa printer farm for making their own printer parts with some 500 printers)

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    My buddy's kids have discovered I have a 3d Printer.

I am currently printing a variety of batarangs of various sizes, including one neato one that is made up of hinges so it articulates.

Ah well, there are worse things than being known as the cool geeky uncle who has the toy that prints toys.

Probably should have leveled it first, though: https://imgur.com/iUh2eRe

Does that form of deformation mean the bed is too high, or too low, in the corner?

KiTA on
    Probably too low, looks like it scrapes the freshly printed layer and drags it along with it.

Yeah looks like the top right corner in particular is too high

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Probably too low, looks like it scrapes the freshly printed layer and drags it along with it.
    Yeah looks like the top right corner in particular is too high

Wait too high? Because when I just leveled it the top left felt like it was way too high, and the others seemed about right via the paper (well, business card) test. The top left corner was scraping into the business card whereas the other 3 were just barely putting any friction on it.

Sorry, yeah, top left in your picture.

Bit mixed. Top of the skirt looks mushed into the surface, ie too low.

48wLTJrl.jpg

A business card is probably too thick for leveling, I use a regular paper folded once.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    One of the steps i've tried recently in troubleshooting issues on my i3 mega is installing a custom firmware w/ manual mesh bed levelling, while that didn't totally fix the issue i'm having ermagerd mesh bed levelling is amazing and i'm now pissed it didn't have it stock, every printer should support this. My print quality and bed adhesion went up like, 200%

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    One of the steps i've tried recently in troubleshooting issues on my i3 mega is installing a custom firmware w/ manual mesh bed levelling, while that didn't totally fix the issue i'm having ermagerd mesh bed levelling is amazing and i'm now pissed it didn't have it stock, every printer should support this.

This, a thousand times this. I had all sorts of adhesion problems with my Mega-S, and despite the irritation of manual mesh levelling it has just made life so much better.

One annoying thing about this delta printer is that the build plate is clamped in place horisontally, but not vertically. So it's super easy to nudge it around vertically when removing a print from it, and then the next print is weird and you need to re-level it.

There are better clamps to print that clamp it down vertically as well, I'll print some of those.

Finally fixed my printing issues that have been driving me nuts for like, a solid month, turns out the stock fan in the I3 mega only cools on the left side of the extruder =/ the the rightmost sides of all my prints were overheating and curling, had to print a dual fan duct to fix it, olol/sigh

Finally fixed my printing issues that have been driving me nuts for like, a solid month, turns out the stock fan in the I3 mega only cools on the left side of the extruder =/ the the rightmost sides of all my prints were overheating and curling, had to print a dual fan duct to fix it, olol/sigh

Yeah, that feels like a pretty common problem on the cheaper entry-level printers.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    So just joined the 3D printer world, and will be hanging out here, gleaning knowledge.

Long "here's what I've got going" post:

I received a hand-me-down Monoprice Maker Select V2 from a friend. It needed some work to get it back up and running, but after replacing some fans and thoroughly cleaning the extractor I've got it printing again.
    fynd42wr1dni.jpg

The extractor is an little loose. I don't think the replacement fan is a perfect fit, gonna add a couple small washers. I also think it needs a couple screws in the base.

It came with it's own version of Cura, but I think it's pretty out dated, so I downloaded the latest. Haven't actually used it for a print yet, but it seems neat.

I tried printing a boat from the thingiverse "calibration collection," and it got about 2/3 before the filament stopped feeding. I was down near the end of an old roll my buddy had thrown in with the printer, so chalked it up to that. Even so, I was mostly happy with what printed.

I tried designing and printing something useful yesterday (a stand for two tablets so they can sit near an outlet and charge). Designed it in TinkerCad, and sliced with the bundled Cura. When I left for work everything looked to be going fairly well, but something got it if wack and twice in the printing it shifted about 1cm on the Y-axis. But it still works fine as a (very ugly) tablet stand.

hrul1q0kgx9z.jpg

I read up some stuff here
    https://3dprinterwiki.info/wiki/wanhao-duplicator-i3/
    and there seems to be a lot of stuff that can be done to tweak the unit.

I'm planning to convert an old RPi B+ into an OctoPi, so I can monitor things closer as I try and nail down calibration </Garrus>. Also, copying stuff to SD card is annoying since my desktop doesn't have a card reader and I have to use my laptop instead, so I'm really looking forward to being able to just shoot files over WiFi.

So that there is my 3D printing noob post.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    So the problem I was having (with the extruder and one of the control buttons not working) disappeared after I disassembled and reassembled the printer. Weeeee.

edited August 2019
    So my first tries at the Calibration cube were coming out really sloppy.
    d9sswswxx2z7.jpg

I posted over on r/fixmyprint and people were suggesting to look at the belt tension. While looking at that I saw that the extractor had a bit of wobble to it from the replacement fan not fitting exactly right. I went on to Thingiverse and found a fan grill

I threw the STL on TinkerCad and made a few quick modifications. (Gave myself 2 options for the spacer, ended up going with the full size spacer)

mmcaygetajed.jpg

That made the extruder nice and tight.

m2alasauzbol.jpg

The cube came out much better.

lplbhkxzfz3f.jpg
    tn8dog71kfe6.jpg
    I was able to fix my printer with my printer! This is future living!

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Levelling is interesting..since i got my printer ~ 2 months ago i've always used the paper method w/ a standard sheet of paper and my levelling has always been..eh..Recently i've just started eyeballing it (just getting eye level w/ the bed and adjusting until it's *just* not touching) and my results are waaaaay better, and it's much quicker. I'm not sure why paper is suggested as the go to =/

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've found paper to be tricky. I eyeball/do the occasional test print if it's a serious print.

If I got another printer I'd love an auto levelling bed.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I hold the paper behind just so I can have a clear contrast while I'm squinting at it.

Supposedly my printer has an auto leveling function, but it's never worked right.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm feeling that tingling urge to get in on owning a printer. I love using my library's (Ultimaker 2+) but it'd be real cool to be able to print on my own terms... How would a Creality Ender 3 compare to the prints I'm currently getting? How hard are these things to set up?

Oh brilliant
    I'm feeling that tingling urge to get in on owning a printer. I love using my library's (Ultimaker 2+) but it'd be real cool to be able to print on my own terms... How would a Creality Ender 3 compare to the prints I'm currently getting? How hard are these things to set up?

It needs some assembly out of the box, but it wasn't anything complicated.

Does it get your seal of approval as a printer? ;D

Any weird drawbacks to it vs other cheap printers? My budget probably isn't much higher than $200 to be fair.

Oh brilliant
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Does it get your seal of approval as a printer? ;D

Any weird drawbacks to it vs other cheap printers? My budget probably isn't much higher than $200 to be fair.

Pretty good platform for a cheap printer. But the main advantage to it is the well documented upgrades/issue resolution because a lot of people have it.

PSN: jfrofl
    Yeah, it's a very solid printer with excellent quality for the price (once dialed in), and there's a big community for both troubleshooting and upgrades and stuff.

What are your go to spots for designd?
    I'm liking Thingiverse for finding plans. Tinkercad is decent enough for basic design tools, but also flooded with a lot of keychains. Any other sites to watch?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    What are your go to spots for designd?
    I'm liking Thingiverse for finding plans. Tinkercad is decent enough for basic design tools, but also flooded with a lot of keychains. Any other sites to watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLRWCtQ5KZY

Ha, this looks like a fun project. *digs in boxes for a rotary encoder*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxvuphif7A

edited August 2019
    So I was looking at the Smithsonian stuff from that video Echo posted.

You can 3d print Abraham Lincoln's freaking head! Not someone's artistic representation of his head, but from an actual cast of his head. And it comes in beardless as well.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So I was looking at the Smithsonian stuff from that video Echo posted.

You can 3d print Abraham Lincoln's freaking head! Not someone's artistic representation of his head, but from an actual cast of his head. And it comes in beardless as well.

I wonder if the one for Obama is floating around. I know he had his head laser scanned as a kind of virtual 3D bust. Dunno if it ever got released. Should have been accurate to better than the level of most hobby printers.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Hey, probably a dumb question, but! To function, the 3D printer needs a computer connected physically? Very close to pulling the trigger on an Ender 3 Pro (the price gap on Amazon is small enough to justify getting the big one ;p)

But I'm planning on setting it up in our spare room, and the PC is down in our living room. We have an old laptop, but it's p.busted and unreliable...

Oh brilliant
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Most don't connect to PCs I don't think?

They have SD card readers or something in them that you use to upload something you want to print.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me