As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

hypothetical detective. (stalker thread)

SonarSonar Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
Lets say someone has your identity, SS#, birth date, the shebang.

They have this information legally.

They are nuts, but intelligent.

They have begun a campaign of harassment, phone calls and such. However, they are careful to only say things that are offensive to you (special meanings or references) that don't seem harmful to anyone else. No open threats of violence or whatever. Several lawyers have told you that legally there isn't anything they can do.

Now, the fun stuff.

This person has started opening up P.O. Boxes and charging stuff to your accounts. They are careful to not be identified by those P.O. Boxes. (Don't ask me how you do that, I wouldn't know.)

Now the question.

How do you prove that this person is opening up P.O. Boxes and charging items to your accounts? How do you stop the harassment?

Assume that :

You have moved several times already, and have changed accounts.
Also assume that once the P.O. Box is opened any items ordered to it are not picked up, a detective wouldn't be able to stake one out and catch the thief.

Current theory:

Close all but essential accounts, hard lock all accounts - there should be a way to not allow a purchase to go through unless authorized by phone.

Check credit report daily, immediately contact and close any new accounts opened under your name and request information on the person who opened the account, such as phone number used to call to open the account.

Consider hiring a detective to follow the person and gather evidence of opening a P.O. Box, then waiting for something to be ordered there under your name.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter.

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well if we were to assume all what you were saying, which is unlikely, that is an interesting story. I might go about the process of having my name legal changed, all in all that is a very long and tedious procedure and I guess can end up costing you about $10,000, but no one ever said identity thieves are friendly.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A legal name change? $10,000? o_O

From what I've heard, it's a relatively simple process, that's practically free.

Also, you can get a new social security number. Contact the Social Security Administration. After you've got the new number, close and cancel all accounts, and open up new ones with the new number. Don't let the person get ahold of your new number.

Also, call their employer to complain, if they got it through their place of work. Employers don't require proof beyond a reasonable doubt in order to fire someone.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CatcherCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I didn't mean simply a name change, but if your identity is stolen, then I believe the entire process to get it back can end up costing about 10G.

Catcher on
    When the Journeyman testifies a fateless man believes. He can send you into paradise or bring you to your knees.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sonar wrote:
    They have begun a campaign of harassment, phone calls and such. However, they are careful to only say things that are offensive to you (special meanings or references) that don't seem harmful to anyone else. No open threats of violence or whatever. Several lawyers have told you that legally there isn't anything they can do.

If you tell somebody not to call you, yet they continue to call, in some states that's harassment and you can get a restraining order - regardless of the content of the calls.
    Sonar wrote:
    How do you prove that this person is opening up P.O. Boxes and charging items to your accounts? How do you stop the harassment?

Close all current credit accounts.
    Call the three major credit agencies (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) and tell them to put a fraud alert on your account. This will prevent any new credit accounts from being opened without calling a specific number that you verify.
    Then call the Social Security Administration and begin the process of obtaining a new Social Security Number. Chances are your request will be denied - but begin the process anyway in case the above measures fail somehow.
    Changing your name won't do shit.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

From what I've heard, it's a relatively simple process, that's practically free.

The last time I looked up sex change stuff, I heard it costs about 250USD, and the main cost of that is because you have to make an announcement in the newspaper, kind of like a marriage.

I may or may not have made that up. I don't think I did, though.

Whippy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

The last time I looked up sex change stuff, I heard it costs about 250USD, and the main cost of that is because you have to make an announcement in the newspaper, kind of like a marriage.

I may or may not have made that up. I don't think I did, though.
    There are a couple different ways to do it. The way you mention is faster than the way I plan on doing it, and also more expensive.

You can simply stop using your old name altogether. Use the new one, it becomes your legal name.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Its all kind of funky, but thats how its being related too me.

I didn't think it was possible to change your SS that easily. I'll defiantly pass that on.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"