As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    it was a good weekend. I didn't realize it was here.

the 2nd place player has been on fire lately (no spoilers)

I have to agree. Although
    Serral was on the warpath. He cleaned through reynor and apparently this was his first 4-0 finals

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it was a good weekend. I didn't realize it was here.

the 2nd place player has been on fire lately (no spoilers)

I have to agree. Although
    Serral was on the warpath. He cleaned through reynor and apparently this was his first 4-0 finals
    oh 100%, and Special at least put up a fight but not a great one haha. but he just made ro16 with a great ro32 in GSL so I am glad to see him having arguably his best 2 performances in a row

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Ianator wrote: »

i was about to post this.

i'll be honest i like the mechaswarm stuff. i think stetman is going to make me hate it

edit:

here is the release announcement
    https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/22989881/co-op-commander-stetmann

and here are patch notes
    https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/starcraft2/22989880/starcraft-ii-4-9-0-patch-notes

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    watching GSL Group C on youtube... Special is playing, so it's a big opportunity for a foreigner to reach ro8. no spoilers! (because I just started it but I wouldn't spoil it anyway)

also, Polt, who has been streaming again lately, was in the audience last night!!!! that's exciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiting

edit - don't wanna bump after my own post but Polt said it officially that he's working to get back to pro level. there is another season of GSL this season, I'd be surprised if he can't get there.

Variable on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I've been wondering when we were going to start seeing SC:R skins for sale. They had the proof of concept ready with the pre-order skins when the game came out.

• Options
    i'm not sure what it says about me, but i laugh a lot everytime incontrol is casting.

• Options
    I'm so happy, after all these years, that it actually doesn't seem to be problematic to be a fan of any of the prominent sc2 casters

I don't think that's exactly what you meant but I think about it a lot in the current climate. it's great that he's easy to be a fan of.

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Welp, I haven't played this since right before HotS (so around 2012?). Just started playing again a couple weeks ago. Expected to get stomped over and over. But somehow got placed in Gold and have progressed up to Platinum 2. I seriously did not expect that. I mean, I was in Diamond at WoL launch but I figured there'd be a lot of skill inflation or something as more casual players stopped playing. But somehow I'm like 72 - 63 or something...feels good lol.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Aye, it's kind of crazy how long muscle memory is retained after years of no use.

Like riding a bike... a proxy hatch bike.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    you can now play brood war

remastered

with carbot animation

edit - I mean, as far as I know it's now available.

Variable on
  • Options

Skynet will remember when you cheesed them on lost temple!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRpTRvvU6M0

Friends are temporary. Ladder points are forever.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Sorry for the sad bump, folks.

iNcontrol has passed away.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I just saw that. There were some tweets about "we'll miss you" "HSC won't be the same" etc. I assumed he retired from casting or something. Just the other day I was watching him casting and listening to the pylon show.

Holy fuck

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yeah I just saw that, too.

Holy shit...

One of his first casting things was through a silly tournament thing a predecessor of this thread put on, wasn't it?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Yeah, he generously donating his time for free for the Child’s Play Rumble on the Bronze tournaments we put on back in 2010-2012. He was really cool about it and had a lot of fun. He will be missed.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    Heartbreaking. I don't know what to say, he was an icon. It was such a treat having him on board for the Child's Play tournaments.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I just saw this. I haven't played or watched Starcraft in years now but I remember him. He always seemed like such a genuinely nice person.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Rumble in the Bronze was such a great experience, and SC2 was my first esport that I dove head over heels into

Geoff was an integral part of that and I am just devastated hearing the news

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvFNEkfxvuQ

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    One of the heartwarming things to see from this is the number of different communities he touched.

Rest in peace

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Incontrol was always enjoyable to watch, regardless of what he was involved in.

Very sad to hear this, i even occasionally watched stuff mostly since he was involved.

Rest in peace and my feelings go out to people near him.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I actually randomly tuned back into his stream a couple of days ago and watched him play SC2 until he switched to Apex Legends, then I tuned out. Feels weird to think I watched him play what might have been his last game of Starcraft.

• Options
    I guess this is gonna be part of the brave new world of streaming but I feel like I lost one of my best friends. I listened to him talk for at least a few hours a week and sometimes so many more. I just don't even know what the fuck

• Options
    I guess this is gonna be part of the brave new world of streaming but I feel like I lost one of my best friends. I listened to him talk for at least a few hours a week and sometimes so many more. I just don't even know what the fuck

You and me both

I have been out of Starcraft for years but I’ve kept up with incontrol on social media and the tabletop stuff he moved into and I saw the news in my feed and

Hard to really come to grips with

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty upset. Geoff was a fixture in my entertainment rotation. He had a very similar world view to me and it just clicked.

I met him once, at PAX West 2013. I was standing in line for coffee and I looked up and there was Geoff and the entire Evil Geniuses team. It was kind of a weird star struck moment, but he was super cool. Immediately made me feel comfortable talking to him. He gave me an EG shirt, which is signed and I still have it in my drawer.

I recently started to dip my toe in to competitive 40K, and I had this hope one day to play him at a big tournament. Despite only meeting him once, and only interacting with him a few times in stream chat, his voice, laugh and humor were such a part of my life. I'm pretty shattered about this.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I came here to post about Geoff. Feels pretty unreal. He's just about my age. Scary to think about being taken away so quickly by sudden illnesses in your early 30s. Crazy.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i wonder if the twitch vod of that time i beat incontrol with carriers on stream is still up somewhere

damn our transient digital world

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stuff like this doesn't normally hit me but I'm actually struggling to process this a little. Maybe it's because we worked with Geoff for the Rumbles back in the day. I don't know. Fuck.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Some more old RitB clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpt1oB4fHHg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpvZj2V2nbY

Do we know if anyone has the VoDs of the events?

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I've been rewatching the SCR launch event and holiday bash videos in little bits here and there over the past week or so. Geoff's on my other monitor right now, adjusting little snowman dolls while he talks to Artosis and Day9. I actually didn't know about him at all until I first watched those when they were streamed live (I watched them because I love Day9) and he almost immediately became one of my favorite guys on that stream.

This is a genuine tragedy, for him to die so young. Unbelievably awful.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Reading that first thread and seeing those posts from nearly a decade ago got me teary again

@MNC Dover @KetBra thank you for digging those up. Remembering that all that happened in a tough part of my life reminded me why I loved StarCraft and was such a fan of Geoff and Anna

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I'm still in a bit of disbelief.... I've been up since 3 AM (for other reasons) when I first saw all this and I don't know what to say.

Geoff was a really cool guy and super nice and frank.

From when he was still competitive in EG by cheesing his way through MLG, or embracing and snuggling with IdrA, to helping us out year after year with the Child's Play fundraisers... he was someone we all looked up to.

I'm looking for some more Rumble in the Bronze assets but haven't had much time yet.
    Will dig more after work... but for now I guess Geoff is journeying through the Khala as all warriors do.

We will miss him dearly.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    Hey familiar faces - I posted on these forums to talk about StarCraft almost exclusively and on some day I bumped into this PA StarCraft charity event ft iNcontroL. I worked on it and got a few special job opportunities, and got hooked into a friend group as a result. So thanks anyone who played a part in that - but especially thanks Geoff/iNControL that brilliant bulwark of a dude.

I can not believe what happened - sincerely my brain won't accept the information despite looking at it again and again- anyone having this endless feeling of falling but there's never any ground to hit?

I want to puke. That guy was a favorite and I followed him loyally because of how he parachuted into that event and delivered 3+ hours of relentless, improvised, hilarious comedy. I still can feel the surprise and joy of how much better it went compared to what I expected. That shit emboldened me and made me feel like I could make stuff that mattered after a bad finish to University left me lifeless and broken-feeling. I thought I was working for a charity event but this guy turned in a performance that flipped me into a benefactor.

StarCraft is special. I think about the type of culture and experience it begets all the time. I really wish it was the standard, that it didn't get outfought by new types of vicious, dumb media. When the way things are starts to eat at my soul, I always sneak off to peak at StarCraft. It just makes me feel better. It is kind of church-like. iNcontrol's work is like a gem inside a gem, it makes things feel more sensible, and less lonely.

It is barely tolerable to even use past tense when talking about this guy, so I don't know what we are to do now.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Just a morning thought, but would anyone be interested in holding a RitB-style memorial tournament with all proceeds going to his charity?

Unless that feels uncool or tacky, which I 100% understand. If not, I’m all-in on organizing the team and event with any volunteers we can get.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page