As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    That a piece of shit like Richie Incognito continues to find NFL teams lets you know all you need to know about the NFL really feels about domestic violence and bullying.

"You'll keep watching, and we don't give a shit.

Yup. And the sad thing is, the teams that do the right thing, and drop these assholes, are essentially punished competitively, as a result.

Granted, they're often only doing it well after they should have, like KC and Kareem Hunt (knew about it immediately, claim ignorance until video, released immediately), but even then, there seems to be very little fanbase/media criticism over hiring one of these assholes on the other end.

The only two I can think of that were roundly maligned, and the teams signing got some form of kickback on, were the Cowboys for Greg Hardy and the Eagles for Michael Vick. And while they both demonstrably did bad acts, at least Vick paid a price. Peterson skated, and Washington embraced him. As mentioned above, Incognito got a pass for Buffalo. Kareem Hunt got a pass for the Browns.

Too often, fanbases and the media turn a blind eye to this shit, and like you said, it's clear how the NFL feels about this stuff as a result.

Clearly the chiefs learned from hunt and haven't yet released Tyreek, because why would they? The fans don't care if he beats his kid and girlfriend, hell he could probably kill them both and if he catches touchdowns, hooray he's rehabilitating from a devastating personal tragedy.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    That a piece of shit like Richie Incognito continues to find NFL teams lets you know all you need to know about the NFL really feels about domestic violence and bullying.

"You'll keep watching, and we don't give a shit.

Yup. And the sad thing is, the teams that do the right thing, and drop these assholes, are essentially punished competitively, as a result.

Granted, they're often only doing it well after they should have, like KC and Kareem Hunt (knew about it immediately, claim ignorance until video, released immediately), but even then, there seems to be very little fanbase/media criticism over hiring one of these assholes on the other end.

The only two I can think of that were roundly maligned, and the teams signing got some form of kickback on, were the Cowboys for Greg Hardy and the Eagles for Michael Vick. And while they both demonstrably did bad acts, at least Vick paid a price. Peterson skated, and Washington embraced him. As mentioned above, Incognito got a pass for Buffalo. Kareem Hunt got a pass for the Browns.

Too often, fanbases and the media turn a blind eye to this shit, and like you said, it's clear how the NFL feels about this stuff as a result.

Clearly the chiefs learned from hunt and haven't yet released Tyreek, because why would they? The fans don't care if he beats his kid and girlfriend, hell he could probably kill them both and if he catches touchdowns, hooray he's rehabilitating from a devastating personal tragedy.

Yup. It looks like they're doing the smart (from a business perspective) thing with Tyreek. Keep him on the roster, keep him out of the spotlight (like switching him out for Sammy Hopkins at a football camp), and hoping that nothing significant breaks between now and August.

I mean, as long as the fans don't revolt, as long as advertisers don't revolt, and as long as the media doesn't go batshit on them, and as long as the person being kept increases their chance to win (and Hill definitely does that), then why should they be made to care? It's not like ownership prioritize morality over revenue.

The only concern that matters, is what the NFL does, in terms of suspension. But if they're losing the player for the short term, it's not another team's gain.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Did you guys hear that Odell Beckham Jr. actually showed up to Mini-Camp?

Holy shit!

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Did you guys hear that Odell Beckham Jr. actually showed up to Mini-Camp?

Holy shit!

I think even Nirya is required to write a blog about it

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    QB whisperer and budding SUPERGENIUS Bill O'Brien is once again adrift in the NFL without a proper GM.

Rumour has it they want to hire somebody from New England because that's a guarantee to work.

QB whisperer and budding SUPERGENIUS Bill O'Brien is once again adrift in the NFL without a proper GM.

Rumour has it they want to hire somebody from New England because that's a guarantee to work.

Welp, gotta go with what has given you so much success already...

Getting killed in the Divisional Round every second year.

I mean, without Derek Carr breaking his leg, they'd be Cincinnati South (five post seasons, and the only teams they beat were the Bengals twice and the McGloin Raiders, never winning the Divisional Round).

So, like Arian Foster and Andre Johnson, Deshaun Watson can look forward to wasting his career with this rudderless ship.

God the red picture for gruden is the best thing

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's been a slow evolution over the past year.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Houston might be fucked. They maybe did tampering to try and hire somebody from New England, then fired the GM.

Now, said former GM might have been singling out black employees to fire and replace with non-black employees.

It's been a slow evolution over the past year.

Yeah I know, that's why I love it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Houston might be fucked. They maybe did tampering to try and hire somebody from New England, then fired the GM.

Now, said former GM might have been singling out black employees to fire and replace with non-black employees.

A racist employee of Bob McNair’s org? No way

I know, right?

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I know, right?

Guess this is what happens when the inmates run the asylum

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    So...Houston...

They fired their GM because they really, super-duper, combo-size wanted to hire Nick Caserio from New England. You know, the guy NE accused Hou for tampering? Turns out Caserio has a clause in his contract that prevents him from interviewing. Anywhere. NE dropped their complaint when Hou acknowledged their oopsie.

Well, it turns out that Houston also interviewed two minority candidates just so they wouldn't violate the Rooney Rule. But has since stopped looking for a GM since Caserio is most assuredly unavailable. Basically just proving what we already knew in that the Rooney Rule is horseshit.

So, it seems that their new GM is just gonna be SUPERGENIUS Bill O'Brien.

Way to go, Houston!

So...Houston...

They fired their GM because they really, super-duper, combo-size wanted to hire Nick Caserio from New England. You know, the guy NE accused Hou for tampering? Turns out Caserio has a clause in his contract that prevents him from interviewing. Anywhere. NE dropped their complaint when Hou acknowledged their oopsie.

Well, it turns out that Houston also interviewed two minority candidates just so they wouldn't violate the Rooney Rule. But has since stopped looking for a GM since Caserio is most assuredly unavailable. Basically just proving what we already knew in that the Rooney Rule is horseshit.

Way to go, Houston!

While the Rooney Rule is mostly horseshit, for the reason you mention, it's not complete horseshit. Yes, some teams aren't going to give a fuck, but as was explained to me, even if a team has no intention of hiring a minority (nowdays more because they've picked a candidate than because active racism*), just having the interview means getting experience at meetings, being seen to be someone at least worth considering, and possibly, even if unlikely, changing minds.

* Though, with Bob McNair's public statements, can't rule that out.

Yeah, it's not hard to work around, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have some merit.

Eh its still horseshit if teams are clearly just interviewing minority candidates just so they can hire a white one. Like whatever experience one can say to glean from it, any team would know you were pretty much only interviewed because of the Rooney rule and not because you had anything worth considering.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited June 2019
    So...Houston...

Way to go, Houston!

While the Rooney Rule is mostly horseshit, for the reason you mention, it's not complete horseshit. Yes, some teams aren't going to give a fuck, but as was explained to me, even if a team has no intention of hiring a minority (nowdays more because they've picked a candidate than because active racism*), just having the interview means getting experience at meetings, being seen to be someone at least worth considering, and possibly, even if unlikely, changing minds.

* Though, with Bob McNair's public statements, can't rule that out.

Yeah, it's not hard to work around, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have some merit.

How many minority coaches and front office people are there again?

Whether they’re specifically denying minority candidates due to racism or just because they have an irrational boner for the next mediocre white failson doesn’t matter much when the people running the teams and league are just as white now as 50+ years ago while the player base is far more diverse in that span.

So I agree with you, I guess

Captain Inertia on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Turns out that Jack Del Rio has an excuse for the Yo Gabba Gabbert era - he was at the buffet when the call was made.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I’m still trying to wrap my head around why there's a contract clause that prevents Caserio from interviewing.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Turns out that Jack Del Rio has an excuse for the Yo Gabba Gabbert era - he was at the buffet when the call was made.

That is unbelievable

RickRude wrote: »

That is unbelievable

Unbelievable in that you don't believe Del Rio's account, or unbelievable in that it beggars belief that an NFL franchise would be run that incompetently?

Can't speak the Jack's credibility, but given how often coaches lie to the public, just wanted to check.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

That is unbelievable

Unbelievable in that you don't believe Del Rio's account, or unbelievable in that it beggars belief that an NFL franchise would be run that incompetently?

Can't speak the Jack's credibility, but given how often coaches lie to the public, just wanted to check.

I'd buy it. Not that I necessarily think Del Rio is a bastion of credibility but we have plenty of examples across all the leagues of front offices being that petty and stupid.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Something pointed out by Mike Reiss (Pats beat writer for espn) in his latest notes column is the Patriots never made a White House trip, so that's two years in a row.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Weren't invited? Didn't go? Didn't go, yet?

They went in 2017, but didn't go in 2018 because the eagles won.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I think he's saying two years in a row a team doidn't go. I'm asking if they were unvited this year.

I think he's saying two years in a row a team doidn't go. I'm asking if they were unvited this year.

Is that a typo? I hope not. I think that's a great word for describing Trump's petulant "Well, I didn't want you anyway!" response to a good portion of teams early on telling that jackhole to bugger off.

Now he's a bit more cagey and makes sure they're likely to attend before offering the invitation.

It's really telling that it was one of the higher honors of winning a championship, to attend the White House. You'ld think the President might take some time to self-reflect. Not that guy though.

Yeah. Typo.

A good one, though.

Good news, everyone! Houston has decided to not hire any GM this year!

Tennessee head coach Mike Vrabel says he'd probably cut his dick off to win a Super Bowl.

Thread title A+++

Tennessee head coach Mike Vrabel says he'd probably cut his dick off to win a Super Bowl.

Dan Snyder said to be looking for a new head coach...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    As a titans fan...

That’s my coach.

Also y’all should check out the podcast he said it on: Bussin with the Boys. Hilariously, THE shitposter on the Titans subreddit is an intern on the podcast and Lewan’s need to dunk on him led to Vrabel agreeing.

League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Jim Caldwell , miami assistant coach, is taking the year off due to medical concerns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27181819/fins-caldwell-takes-medical-leave-19-season

Tyreek Hill will not be suspended for allegedly breaking his son's arm because, since it's a case involving a minor, the documents are under seal.

Therefore, the league cannot determine culpability.

I guess we wait for TMZ to break this story.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Tyreek Hill will not be suspended for allegedly breaking his son's arm because, since it's a case involving a minor, the documents are under seal.

So much for the crack NFL investigators with their police connections

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »

It does just go to show the talent variation.

In this exact same circumstance, if this guy were a solid (but unremarkable) starter, he'd be suspended. If he weren't that, he'd have been cut. But because it's a star, gotta tread softly, unless video evidence surfaces, then he's hosed.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have no standards (The NFL and teams are not going to engage in policing, that's up to law enforcement), than this clear double standard bullshit.

Without the lip service, how will you know there is smoke up your ass?

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Dak is a pretty good qb with the best receiving corps he has ever had.
    RedTide wrote: »

It does just go to show the talent variation.

In this exact same circumstance, if this guy were a solid (but unremarkable) starter, he'd be suspended. If he weren't that, he'd have been cut. But because it's a star, gotta tread softly, unless video evidence surfaces, then he's hosed.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have no standards (The NFL and teams are not going to engage in policing, that's up to law enforcement), than this clear double standard bullshit.

First ballot Hall of Famer Peterson was suspended by the nfl the rest of the season for a lesser allegation. Except there was evidence that Peterson actually did what he was accused of.

I would download a car.