As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• ShadowAppleShadowApple Registered User regular
    The mid level maps are quieter as lvl 80 players are mostly in the lvl 80 maps, unless an event is happening in the map.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Dungeons are fin if your gear is up to date for the level, but you’ll have trouble finding a PUG if you aren’t 80.

The mid level zones are less populated because you don’t actually need to leave the starter zones to level. You get less than you could, but you will still get decent XP. People might also just follow the personal story and just hit those zones.

Players who have been around have so many boosters and level up items they don’t need to level niece characters.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Dungeons are fin if your gear is up to date for the level, but you’ll have trouble finding a PUG if you aren’t 80.

The mid level zones are less populated because you don’t actually need to leave the starter zones to level. You get less than you could, but you will still get decent XP. People might also just follow the personal story and just hit those zones.

Players who have been around have so many boosters and level up items they don’t need to level niece characters.

I don't have a great grasp on the leveling in GW. What's the benefit to staying in the starter zones for leveling? Got my dude to 17 last night and moved to one of the 15-25 zones. Is there a reason to hit other 1-15 zones first?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Feldorn wrote: »

I don't have a great grasp on the leveling in GW. What's the benefit to staying in the starter zones for leveling? Got my dude to 17 last night and moved to one of the 15-25 zones. Is there a reason to hit other 1-15 zones first?

XP gain from lower level zones scales to your current level, and while your character scales down a level 15 scaled to 5 is much stronger than a level 5. So doing 1-15 content at 17 will be faster than doing 15-25 content.

That said, I leveled my first character from 1-80 by staying in zones appropriate to my level 90% of the time and it was good. Higher level zones are definitely more interesting than lower level. What I would recommend is that if you find yourself falling behind the zone you're in, either go to a different low-level zone or do events until you hit the right level. Slamming your head into higher level content (even 1-3 levels higher) will frustrate you AND slow down your leveling.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The flexibility of always being able to go to lower level zones is nice if you run into a zone you don't like.

Like brisbane wildlands? The asura 15-25 zone. God I hate it, always did it last when getting 100% completion on a character even with mounts.

@exis there is no benefit, it would just be easy and familiar.

I explored a lot because I love the gw2 world.

• LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    The story dungeons are designed to be done from level 30 onwards (each has a different level requirement), but won't be massively populated

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    You may want to try the dragon bash festival in the norn starting city, there are ports from an npc marked with a dragon icon in each city, or just outside. The arena bit scales you up to level 80 too. Dragon coffers could be an ok way to collect some starting gold for bags etc.

E.Coyote on
    Thanks for the pointers, folks. I did actually stumble across the Dragon Bash festival last night. Fought a stream of bosses which was kinda fun.

I am pretty keen to do more group activities so it's a bit of a bummer of dungeon's aren't populated. I do really enjoy the world events where there are a whole lot of people involved so that's pretty cool, but I'm not sure whether that's the kind of thing you can search out or whether it's best to just quest around and do that stuff when you come across it.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oh man, no searching required. The event train has no brakes and all passengers are welcome.

Short story is that if you- I lied -search for something like guild wars event timer you'll find a site that displays which events are currently active around the game world. As there is a set schedule, you can follow the zerg from place to place or join in for your favorites.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh man, no searching required. The event train has no brakes and all passengers are welcome.

Short story is that if you- I lied -search for something like guild wars event timer you'll find a site that displays which events are currently active around the game world. As there is a set schedule, you can follow the zerg from place to place or join in for your favorites.

This sounds awesome. I'll give that a go tonight, thanks.

I'm just happy that doing the dragon bash dailies nets enough jorbreakers to nab a set of season 4 currency each week. No need to grind the maps for the skyscale. That and getting a charged crystal out of the home instance quartz node tonight.

edited July 2019
    So.. I finally killed Qadim 1.0! This means I can now buy guild hall decorations which make portals! https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Djinn_Teleportation_Device

Wonder if it has range to spawn --> harvesting nodes? :) Any other ideas?

I'm also wonder if if it's time for a change of guild hall. I'm away for a few weeks, but will broach the subject again when I get back - thoughts?

Leandriell on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Windswept Haven is pretty neat, but it's definitely a hall that's built for taking advantage of the skybox. There isn't a whole lot to do compared to Gilded Hollow or Lost Precipice.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    By the way, before I forget, try to hop into GW2 and do a world boss in the next day or two. A community event is going on and a single kill will get you a boatload of mats, banners and loot :D

Did some world bosses and finished HoT masteries last night. Now to start on PoF.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    After a brief dip into FF14 and WoW to check out Shadowbringers and Mechagon, I've settled back home in Tyria. I just don't have time to compete in those other worlds right now, and even after a few years, simply logging in for 30 minutes to do some gathering is really pleasant stress relief after a hard day.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Im really enjoying the festival, but goddamn. I'm missing 1 crystal and cannot find it for the life of me.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    The new outfit and glider are absolute abominations. I mean, to each their own, but they don't spark my joy. =P

I FOUND IT. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO. FUCK YOURSELF ZEPHYRITES.

n1woEHJ.png
    After 6 years.. I have FINALLY done Liadri 8 orbs.... /phew

Had my first precursor weapon drop from completing one of the living world season 2 episodes. It was Dusk. <3

Thats awesome, and a good one! Congrats!

n1woEHJ.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Grats!

It's still amazing that I've played the game since release and have never seen a precursor drop =p.

vamen on
    I thought it was another ebonblade, was all set to feed it to the salvage-o-matic. ^.^

I have finally finished my 6th astral weapon! I never habe to go to Istan again!

vamen wrote: »
    Grats!

It's still amazing that I've played the game since release and have never seen a precursor drop =p.

I haven't, either, though I tell myself maybe I have and I just salvaged it by accident.

Ive never had one drop for me either. Don't worry, I have like 6000 hours. :( Ive had wondrous people gift me one, and won one from a giveaway, but the final one I had to purchase myself.

n1woEHJ.png
    Corr- I have a ton of time but not THAT much =).

Stray - I have really wondered if I had done that. I used to be VERY salvage happy.

Working on the warclaw now, bout halfway done with the reward track, everything else for the collection went super quick. Found a roaming group of mesmers to join over the weekend and it was amaaaaazing.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    So.. I keep threatening to put a poll together to see if we should move guild hall.. so I finally have. Will leave it up til 5th September, then if we have a change, go for mission o clock on 8th!

https://www.strawpoll.me/18522502

Leandriell on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Can't believe it'll be 7 years on Sunday. I haven't played very consistently but boy has it been an incredible world to wander around.

76561197966849367.png
    I've been leveling a hammer guard the ol' fashioned way to work on map completion (one of the many things I've never done despite 7 years on and off). I probably won't make it (I tend to delete characters I work for map completion at some point just out of boredom or because I want to reclaim a name), but it's been very pleasant. I really hope they move towards reusing or adding to existing zones in the next push - there's so much to love about the old world that could still work with new events.

I also wish Hammer Guard was a bit more viable among game modes, because damn I love smashing things with a giant hammer on a tiny asura. =)

Reminder re: Cooking 500

If you do the Leaf of Kudzu collection, you get access to a small garden of gathering nodes. This is gonna be a big deal now, because the price of cooking ingredients is going wayyyy up.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    So... some time ago, I had "project go big or go home" In which I made 2 legendary weapons and 3 pieces of legendary armour at the same time. I stuck weekly updates here alongside other folks working on projects, which was fun!

So.. It's time for mark 2... accessory time

Vision + Coalescence
    This time round, I've done a lot of the questing for Vision with Goldy <3, but for Coalesescence I still need to do the W6+7 raid chievos (have murderfaced most of it before, but not in the right order), and they all need mats. (Shesh the amalgamated gemstore sinks...)
    Maybe it's not hard enough and I need to throw something else in there... I am sitting on Dusk and Howl...Maybe my guardian needs a new toy...

What are you guys working on?

edited August 2019
    I'm really disappointed by how rare the top tier cooking mats are.

*Edit* It's not even like other weird or rare mats where you can farm 'em if you know where to look; they're specifically tied to Herbs, for which there are no "farms" and which are roulette in terms of what they give you. The seeds you plant in your home instance don't grow back after harvest (which is dumb).

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    edited August 2019

New Living World stuff being shown.
    Sept 17!

vamen on
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Jormag has a soothing voice.

The baby aurene funko pop is adorable.