As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Even though I don't like her smiling face (one with the teeth), I ordered the TFCON Toronto '19 exclusive PS-18 Zinnia from MMC/Ocular Max

QSTPteT.jpg

Other pics with horrible toothy smile here
    https://imgur.com/Q4N7XdH

Tr5pkp4.jpg

Why is the new Pink version so weird looking? I feel like her lips are too big while her face has shrunk

nwB4v2T.jpg

EDIT:L or maybe the angle makes her chin look bigger? Something's off.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Awesome, put in preorders for Apeface, Astrotrain, Galaxy Man/Shockwave (I had Shackwave as a kid so this scratches that itch), and that triple pack Refraktor (which is a nice surprise, I really wanted the camera but didn't want three of the exact same guy, and this has some extra goodies)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    What mold is astrotrain based on? I am not sure I can give up his wingtips

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It just struck me that Astrotrain is a leader and Apeface is a Voyager, for some reason I thought it was the other way around.

• Options
    @Heatwave That blue one almost tempted me to pick it up, but I'm going to resist as hard as I can. I think the pink from that photo makes it look a bit darker too (and too shiny). That might be the reason it looks weird. Dunno, but yeah that photo makes the new version look weird.

@Forever Zefiro I put in a pre-order for Apeface, Astrotrain, Galaxy Man (because I only had knock off Shockwaves growing up), and Lancer to finish off the "female" Autobots. Oh and that cassette set just because I love cassette bots. I wanted to get the Refraktor set because it is more in line with the original toy than the mass release. But I JUST got my 3 of Refraktors in the day before!!!!! It honestly pissed me off to no end because I want the 3 pack instead, but nobody will want the three purple set now. Oh well, at least I finally have a real Reflector.

@WingedWeasel I believe that the new Astrotrain is a completely new mold. At least people can't nail down what it is from yet (probably will after it comes out).

I sort of wanted to buy the Spinister because it looks neat, but I just can't keep on buying bots I have no attachment to. So hopefully someone else here will buy one and I can live through them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Spinister is one of the Targetmasters I distinctly remember owning as a kid, so he’s an automatic buy for me.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Spinister is one of the Targetmasters I distinctly remember owning as a kid, so he’s an automatic buy for me.

WOO!!! I'm going to bug you for photos once you get him. At least a description of him, like how the heck did they manage to have two cockpits on his feet?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I imagine there's a lot of pissed people now that bought 3 purple Refraktors

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

WOO!!! I'm going to bug you for photos once you get him. At least a description of him, like how the heck did they manage to have two cockpits on his feet?

I may have already spent 10 minutes this morning flipping back and forth between pictures of his robot and helicopter forms trying to figure out just that. My current theory is that it’s somehow a mock-up.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I may have already spent 10 minutes this morning flipping back and forth between pictures of his robot and helicopter forms trying to figure out just that. My current theory is that it’s somehow a mock-up.

Nah, the 2nd foot folds up underneath his chest and is covered by the chest and arms. I'm confident if you could see underneath the figure you'd see the 2nd cockpit.

• Options
    That’s possible, it feels like a weird way to do it though.

• Options

You can kind of see it here:
    m4x54tp12qyg.jpg

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, yeah, I see it, you can see the cockpit glass peaking out under the arm (especially under the fist).

• Options
    I’m also going to say that there’s a part of me that really wants to get the Rainmaker 3 pack.

• Options
    I’m also going to say that there’s a part of me that really wants to get the Rainmaker 3 pack.

I'm tempted as well, but really trying to stay strong. That photo of Spinister is weakening me.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I really want Spinister because...well The Weak Anthropic Principle

I'm pretty excited about a bunch of the other stuff so I'm going to do some budgeting and see what happens. I'm glad I didn't pick up triple refracktor already. People may be able to offload the retail ones individually but I imagine it's going to be tough now

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'll just be snagging Lancer, Rung and any micromasters.

Suppose I should clear off some more shelf space now.

EDIT: There's a rumor (that also mentioned a bunch of other stuff that turned out to be true) that Siege Chromia is getting a remold into Nightbird. I'm a bit bummed as I'm full up on the Lady combiner limb mold from PotP, and while Chromia isn't that mold, she's more than similar enough. That said, we've had so few female Decepticons in the Generations toyline that I'll take what I can get. In fact, I honestly can't remember the last one we've gotten.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

I'm pretty excited about a bunch of the other stuff so I'm going to do some budgeting and see what happens. I'm glad I didn't pick up triple refracktor already. People may be able to offload the retail ones individually but I imagine it's going to be tough now

You want Spinister because he exists so he must exist?

Why not go for the Weak Anthropomorphic Principle, where you want him because you want him to have human characteristics?

• Options
    My Inner Child: Hey, you should totally buy Omega Supreme to get that Countdown Micromaster
    Me: I'm not spending 160 bucks to get a Micromaster
    MIC: But he was one of your favorites!
    Me: I can just ebay him
    MIC: But what about his base, that was the best part!
    Me: He doesn't come with that base.
    MIC: Omega Supreme can be that base! You could put all your other WFC micromasters there too!
    Me: I don't have a place to put him.
    MIC: Just take apart those legos on your dresser like you've been meaning to. You don't want them anymore and your nephew would love them!
    Me: I don't even like Omega Supreme that much!
    MIC: But you don't DISlike him, right?
    Me: Well... no....
    MIC: Awesome, then we can get him and then get Combiner Wars Devastator for him to fight, and then get all the other combiners wars toys you missed out on and..
    Me: *sigh* This is why I don't talk to you about Transformers anymore.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Anyway, post photos of Omega Supreme and all the other combiners when you get them.

• Options
    My Inner Child: Hey, you should totally buy Omega Supreme to get that Countdown Micromaster
    Me: I'm not spending 160 bucks to get a Micromaster
    MIC: But he was one of your favorites!
    Me: I can just ebay him
    MIC: But what about his base, that was the best part!
    Me: He doesn't come with that base.
    MIC: Omega Supreme can be that base! You could put all your other WFC micromasters there too!
    Me: I don't have a place to put him.
    MIC: Just take apart those legos on your dresser like you've been meaning to. You don't want them anymore and your nephew would love them!
    Me: I don't even like Omega Supreme that much!
    MIC: But you don't DISlike him, right?
    Me: Well... no....
    MIC: Awesome, then we can get him and then get Combiner Wars Devastator for him to fight, and then get all the other combiners wars toys you missed out on and..
    Me: *sigh* This is why I don't talk to you about Transformers anymore.

This part is pretty much why I now have two shelving units filled with Transformers and Star Wars figs.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Heffling wrote: »

You want Spinister because he exists so he must exist?

Why not go for the Weak Anthropomorphic Principle, where you want him because you want him to have human characteristics?

that was the name of the scavengers ship in the IDW comics. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Weak_Anthropic_Principle

they seem to be willing to release all these characters given the existence of the useless one so here's hoping i can get the entire cast in a reasonable way

unrelated but i can't help but see brunt as a cylon. i'm not sure if this is better or worse. i also cant decide if i'm going to head canon head head/hands as empurata

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Crap. Thanks! Now I am unable to not see the Cylon look now.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    i also just noticed he might have like 270 degree field of vision? that red bar wraps almost entirely around his head

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Spinister's altmode reminds me that after all these years there's still not a decent updated figure of Rotorstorm

N4fAl1F.jpg

Third party masterpiece when?!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Who?

• Options
  • Options
    Siege Shockwave in hand, so some thoughts:

*The aesthetic looks better out of the box for some reason
    *Much like Sixshot, the whole "turn the gun upside down and it's a space ship!" trick isn't fooling anyone
    *I get that the armor thing is part of this cycle's gimmick, but I'm honestly not a fan of it, just means more pieces to potentially lose
    *One of the pieces does not snap securely in place in the alt mode for me
    *Base Shockwave (without the armor) looks damn good
    *Transformation isn't too bad, but I wish they had spent more time figuring out the power cable's part, and oddly enough the fact that you don't do anything with the feet somehow bothers me.

• Options
    Forgot to mention I got my Ecototron.

His alt-mode is fantastic. It's amazing he's a heavy remold of Combiner Wars Hot Spot / Onlsaught, because they complete nail the Ecto-1. Robot mode is fine (I like the shoulds being the hood of Ecto-1) and his styling making him look like a Ghostbuster jumpsuit (complete with goggles) is a nice touch (Though I hate how he has that from the start in the comics, but I guess that's a transformers tradition as old as time)

The proton pack is fine, but I don't like the wand. It's a bit unweildly and they have him hold it like a gun. You can make him hold it like a wand, but it looks awkward.

My biggest complain is he's a little back heavy, even without the proton pack, and while I think it might just be my particular figure, the knees are pretty loose and it's hard to get him into a good pose without him falling backwards from the knee up. They're pins too, so I'm not sure if there's anything I could do to stiffen them up.

The Slimer rubber figurine is nice, though I wish they could have painted him a tiny bit.

Overall, as a unique one-off, this thing is rad. If this was a whole line, I'd be a tiny bit concerned, because those knees are worrisome.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    So I finally decided to start disassembling my Lego sets that have been gathering dust on my shelf, and hand them over to some family.

I've been going through the instructions backwards so I can sort the pieces into bags, like how Lego comes out of the box. Only I realized that I have like a dozen or so sets sitting disassembled in a plastic tub.

So, being well into an edible, I dug out that tub, grabbed the instructions and started assembling Lego sets and listening to Be Good and Rewatch it discuss Pride and Predjudice.

For like 10 hours.

Process was fairly smooth (lots of parts hunting given none of the pieces were sorted. I finally split everything into colors which made the process go much faster.) except I somehow wound up with like 6 leftover pieces, and I have no idea if I missed some instructions or if they're from some other set. So that's great.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Man that's more than I would have done. Just dump all the bits into a bucket, hand the instructions over with the bucket and tell them to go nuts. Let their kids train their little brains a bit figuring out what's what.

• Options
    Ok, so thanks to me finding another thread about Macross toys, I got reintroduced to the newer lines. Aka, more things for me to hoard collect. I mainly joined their thread to watch for the newer Ban Dai DX Chogokin VF-1 line (which I still have yet to get). But in the meantime they told me about the newer Macross Delta series and their toys, specifically the Ban Dai DX Chogokin VF-31 Siegfried line. They said that the line is probably Ban Dai's best attempt since the original 1/55 scale VF-1 line.

Sadly four out of the five were already released (and their prices were going up), but luckily on July 20 the newest one (and last one) of Delta flight was released, the VF-31E Siegfried. Even luckier is that I managed to snag one for retail price from Amazon Japan on that date. As everything from Amazon Japan, it shipped really fast and I had it on Wednesday. I waited till the weekend so I could have enough time to play with my VF-31E Siegfried and I have to say I understand why they all say that the DX VF-31 series is so good. Opening the box makes you feel like this is going to be something special with a simple cover that says, "Remove before flight" and under that is the figure in Fighter mode. The detail on them is crazy with all the little painted labels, lettering and colors. Even the plastic pieces they made just for the details is insane! The panel lines mask the pieces that fold and move perfectly. I swear that Shōji Kawamori creates his mechs in the shows to be made into toys now, and this one looks exactly like the show in all modes.

Transforming it from Fighter, to Gerwalk, to Battroid modes is so much fun! I now have to say that this is my second favorite Valkyrie of all time next to the original VF-1 line. The nose cone can poke your eye out if you are not careful enough. I took some photos of the modes to show off, and added one to show how big it is compared to the Masterpiece Ramjet.
    VF-31E_01.jpg
    VF-31E_02.jpg
    VF-31E_03.jpg
    VF-31E_04.jpg
    VF-31E_05.jpg
    VF-31E_06.jpg
    VF-31E_07.jpg
    VF-31E_08.jpg
    VF-31E_09.jpg
    VF-31E_10.jpg
    VF-31E_11.jpg
    VF-31E_12.jpg
    VF-31E_13.jpg
    VF-31E_14.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    That's a cool figure, but man, $200 is a lot. I think I'm spoiled by how inexpensive Gundam model kits are in comparison.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Heffling wrote: »
    That's a cool figure, but man, $200 is a lot. I think I'm spoiled by how inexpensive Gundam model kits are in comparison.

Yep it is a lot. I've paid about that much for the PG Wing Zero Custom with pearl finish long ago. Gundam, Macross, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and other show kits were my favorite alternative to the figures back then. Now I live vicariously through the Gunpla thread.

The High Metal R line is cheaper than the DX Chogokin line, but much smaller.

Edit: I just realized I took some photos of the two I bought recently but never shared them here.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The DX VF-31's are pretty great. I have Hayate's and Mirage's for reference and love the design and how everything just fits together.

The DX Sv-262Hs Draken III is just shit and only looks good in jet mode.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    I wish I was there for Mirage's since I liked her color and head design. But I am happy with Chuck's since it is different and the orange color is nice. Now I am hoping that perhaps I will be able to land a DX VF-1A on launch day as well. Then I'll call my recent dip into the Macross Universe complete till they come out with another new line in 20 years.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    "estimated to arrive july 2019"

i'm not as confident about that as you are big bad

• Options

Yeah I've been reading about BBTS getting their supply really late. As in months later than other shops.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Yeah I've been reading about BBTS getting their supply really late. As in months later than other shops.

Both bbts and tfsource have typically been slower in the past for me than other places, including physical retail. But I haven't seen these figures anywhere else really, or were sold out immediately so unless I want the 40000% evayt scalper markup I'm stuck

This discussion has been closed.