As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The chick with the Uzi. She single?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "I'm Carl."
    "I'm Mary."
    "I'm going to be sick."

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I still get amazed, sad, angry when I think of this quote.
    "What's wrong with this country, Marty? Money. You taught me that. Evil defense contractors had it, noble causes did not. Politicians are bought and sold like so much chattel. Our problems multiply. Pollution, crime, drugs, poverty, disease, hunger, despair; we throw gobs of money at them! The problems always get worse. Why is that? Because money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Off-topic spoiler brackets since we don't have a Witcher thread and this isn't really worth starting a new one, but people may be interested to see that the Netflix show has a trailer.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Off-topic spoiler brackets since we don't have a Witcher thread and this isn't really worth starting a new one, but people may be interested to see that the Netflix show has a trailer.

0/10 no horses on roofs

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The hair still bugs me for some reason. Also reminds me of Legolas.

50433.png?1708759015
    That looks about as good as a TV adaptation is going to get. I'd give it a watch.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That looks about as good as a TV adaptation is going to get. I'd give it a watch.

This is as good as a TV adaptation can get:

vp9l7gkmz1f1.gif

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Yeah, I gave that watch, it was definitely a thing.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I’m not a fan of how clean everything seems to look.

5gsowHm.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Also Yen’s jaw looks really weird to me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

She is/was a hunchback with facial deformities. Her appearance otherwise is the result of magic.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

She is/was a hunchback with facial deformities. Her appearance otherwise is the result of magic.

And to be more specific it isn't an illusion. She just used magic to literally change her physical appearance. Like magical plastic surgery I suppose.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

In the books, Yen is a bit malformed and a hunchback. She learned magic partially to cover it up. So again, the Netflix series is taking the canon mostly from the books and not the games.

As for the hair... I'll reserve judgement for when I see a few episodes. But at the very least, Cavill is trained in swordfighting from back in the Immortals days, so he won't be embarrassing the character.

wbee62u815wj.png
    It's realistic since I believe the book mentioned a lot of Sorceresses were downtrodden, not well treated girls who, because they were good at magic, gained power and were able to change everything about themselves including their appearance. Thus, they still carry that pain of rejection especially since people fawn over their looks and power now ("None of you cared about me when I was ugly and weak, etc").

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's not much, but have some gamescom screenshots

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Your operating system is unstable, @jungleroomx. You will fail.
    Warned @jungleroomx (0 points for 1 week) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »

And to be more specific it isn't an illusion. She just used magic to literally change her physical appearance. Like magical plastic surgery I suppose.

IIRC this is why sorceresses and Witchers are sterile; altering yourself with magic monkeys around with your DNA and makes you genetically incompatible with normals. Conveniently this enables lots of awesome risk-free sex between very attractive people.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The security stuff reminded me of this great physical security presentation from a hacker con that I found recently. Lots of shockingly simple ways to get into areas you don’t belong.*

https://youtu.be/rnmcRTnTNC8

*For demonstration purposes only of course

captaink on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I saw 70 new posts in this thread. I checked thread. Page 96 with the Hackers clip? So freaking classic, and I used to love that movie, but it really shows it's age now.

I know a lot of that "tech" is early 90s trash, when like, a Pentium 1 was hot shit, because the Pentium 2 processor didn't come out until '97 (Hackers released in 1995). Look at the size of Dade's monitor. Look at how tiny that TV is.

Nevermind that he and Acid are fighting over VHS recorded shows, or that awful custom UI for displaying text and whatever the hell Dade's using to reply back to her. The most egregious part of that video, is how slow Dade types his replies to her. A prodigy hacker before he was 13, and he types as slowly as someone who's never used a keyboard in their life.

If I had any control on this game though, you can bet your ass I would give some cameo roles to Matthew Lillard, Fisher Stevens, and Angelina Jolie, though she's probably too big to bother with this, and I'm sure she wants to forget Hackers ever existed considering it's one of the only times she's ever topless, and probably had clauses in every movie since to not have to resort to that.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    If you hate UI, the game is going to have a Hardcore mode which will hide the UI.

Also if you're not so good at aiming, they'll have smart guns which will help aim but won't pack as much punch as other guns out there.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Since social engineering, hacking, and Sneakers have been brought up, I just can't help sharing my favorite clip from the movie that joins all of those things together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG5vsPJ5Tos

I'm hoping the game provides you this option to hacking as well. It's classically known to be effective.

VuIBhrs.png
    edited August 2019
    Considering how lax the security is for most "Internet of things" is from my understanding, it's only going to get worse. We routinely have massive data breaches and cyber vulnerability is extending to the power grid now. And also incredibly scammable people.

manwiththemachinegun on
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    If you hate UI, the game is going to have a Hardcore mode which will hide the UI.

Also if you're not so good at aiming, they'll have smart guns which will help aim but won't pack as much punch as other guns out there.

I really dig that, actually. You can handwavey-justify that the lesser punch is because when you add a bunch of robotic bits into the gun to make it aim better, you leave less room for Murderizing (idk maybe it slows the bullet down in the barrel!). Lets people who are just here for the story still compete, while the HARDCOREZ folks and/or ppl who are good at video game guns (me) do more/faster murder.

(... I say this, but I'm like, okay, who am I kidding, I play games like this one of two ways: I either snipe people from 20 rooftops away, or I sneak up behind and gank 'em with a knife. what's this fast action gunplay... combat... thing. )

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    If this was in third person or did the deus ex cover thing you could have the satisfying shoots around cover effect

initiatefailure on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

I really dig that, actually. You can handwavey-justify that the lesser punch is because when you add a bunch of robotic bits into the gun to make it aim better, you leave less room for Murderizing (idk maybe it slows the bullet down in the barrel!). Lets people who are just here for the story still compete, while the HARDCOREZ folks and/or ppl who are good at video game guns (me) do more/faster murder.

(... I say this, but I'm like, okay, who am I kidding, I play games like this one of two ways: I either snipe people from 20 rooftops away, or I sneak up behind and gank 'em with a knife. what's this fast action gunplay... combat... thing. )

I like this...assuming things like smartgun links (or whatever they are called in CP) exist, and don't do less damage for reasons. Implanted tech has advantages.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    An album of weapon models.

Guns are looking really cool.

https://imgur.com/a/ZaBQ6ej

ooh yes those mantis blades

... I bet that feels really weird the first time you use it. "there goes my entire wrist I guess"

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

A bullet would probably have to go slower to have any chance of fancy magic tech altering its trajectory in a meaningful way

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    oops

override367 on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

ooh yes those mantis blades

... I bet that feels really weird the first time you use it. "there goes my entire wrist I guess"

Pro:
    Carpal Tunnel forever cured

Con:
    Accidentally stabbed monitor with spring blade

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Adds some excitement to masturbating, I suppose.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Just get new cyberjunk installed the next day.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

I think you can get your sensory data rewired in Cyberpunk so if you wanted everytime you Wolverine-snikt your wrist blades you smell cinnamon, or something equally absurd.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I think you can get your sensory data rewired in Cyberpunk so if you wanted everytime you Wolverine-snikt your wrist blades you smell cinnamon, or something equally absurd.

Well, fellas, it’s time to

ssssshhhhhnnnnkt

bake me a cake.

5gsowHm.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

A bullet would probably have to go slower to have any chance of fancy magic tech altering its trajectory in a meaningful way
    That's not how smart guns work (i think).
    It's more like a regular gun, with a camera wired up to your cybernetics that determine if/when to shoot.
    Basicly an aimbot.

I get the reason for the damage difference, gameplay balance needs to give people a reason to use non smart guns.
    Maybe they need to limit weapon recoil to not damage the link?
    Or we just accept that it's just a gaming contrivance and move on.

I think we still need confirmation of the most high-tech and deadly of guns, the pussy pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_5WZtN-E4