As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Blasphemous, Greedfall, Unrailed EA & PesterQuest out today!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nowhere Prophet looks very good, I may very well pick that up once I get home
    Rock, Paper, Shotgun is kinda disappointed by it https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/19/nowhere-prophet-review/
    Maybe I got lucky, and a few early game finds set me up for an unusually unchallenging sprint through the wasteland. I’m sure luck played its part, but I’m also sure I owe much of my success to atrocious enemy AI. Time after time, my robo-ponents would spare my vulnerable scary units, completely waste their cards, and spend their go pointlessly demolishing rocks on their side of the board.
    [...]
    I’d often find myself delving down that thought well, chaining convoluted plans together. “If I first attack with my flimsy Pariah”, I’d think, “then I can whack down a tanky enemy in front of them – but not before I play that unit that buffs everything nearby, and not before I target that explosive barrel next to those enemies.” Then my opponent would spend its turn prodding at yet another rock, and I’d think “Oh. I guess I didn’t need to do any of that.”

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Nowhere Prophet looks very good, I may very well pick that up once I get home
    Rock, Paper, Shotgun is kinda disappointed by it https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/19/nowhere-prophet-review/
    Maybe I got lucky, and a few early game finds set me up for an unusually unchallenging sprint through the wasteland. I’m sure luck played its part, but I’m also sure I owe much of my success to atrocious enemy AI. Time after time, my robo-ponents would spare my vulnerable scary units, completely waste their cards, and spend their go pointlessly demolishing rocks on their side of the board.
    [...]
    I’d often find myself delving down that thought well, chaining convoluted plans together. “If I first attack with my flimsy Pariah”, I’d think, “then I can whack down a tanky enemy in front of them – but not before I play that unit that buffs everything nearby, and not before I target that explosive barrel next to those enemies.” Then my opponent would spend its turn prodding at yet another rock, and I’d think “Oh. I guess I didn’t need to do any of that.”

Hmm, that's a shame. Cado seemed pretty positive on Waypoint Radio earlier this week, and a cross between Slay the Spire and The Banner Saga feels almost tailor made for me.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, heck, it might still work for you! There've been plenty of games that I enjoyed despite them getting mediocre reviews (and, sometimes, even despite them being objectively bad).

it seems like the AI and difficulty could still be tweaked

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Haven looks really really good

makes me a little sad I don't have anyone around I'd want to play it with, though

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    More co-op games need to feature actual couples as protagonists

more games need to feature actual couples as protagonists or at least party members

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    one of the most difficult things to portray interestingly is a happy couple

I suspect the main reason we don't see a lot of couples as protagonists is because most games that have comprehensive enough writing and characters to do so, are RPGs where they want you to be able to date whoever you like.

Oh actually now that I think of it, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky does fit this ticket. I really need to finish the second game sometime.

Veldrin wrote: »
    More co-op games need to feature actual couples as protagonists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8t5cOjlEPU

actually I can't think of many games that have like... dysfunctional couples as their protagonists

I guess Michael and his wife in GTAV might count

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The Broken Sword games have a dysfunctional, on-again-off-again romance at the center

I guess your romance with Viconia in BG2 can go off the rails as well.

As does romancing dobby in DA3:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJ5fiFaOO4

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I suspect the main reason we don't see a lot of couples as protagonists is because most games that have comprehensive enough writing and characters to do so, are RPGs where they want you to be able to date whoever you like.

Oh actually now that I think of it, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky does fit this ticket. I really need to finish the second game sometime.

You should! FC and SC are really a single, whole game.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Discord has a deal where if you subscribe to Nitro you get the Saryn Frame:

Saryn Warframe (includes Warframe Slot)
    Saryn Orphid Skin
    Dual Swords Cyskis Skin
    Melia Sugatra
    Embolist Armor Bundle
    Samia Syandana
    Saryn Noggle Statue
    7 Day Resource Drop Chance Booster
    Scrolling Sign Decoration

Worth it at all? I have no idea if Saryn seems good.

I'm gonna say no, unless you want the cosmetics. Saryn is good but Saryn Prime is better and she's not hard to get, you can't get her parts anymore normally but only one of them is expensive. Though if you just want regular Saryn, getting her parts is kind of a pain because she's locked behind a boss battle you have to farm another mission to start.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What is the actual difference between the frames and the prime frames, other than appearance?

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Prime frames are for the most part straight upgrades from the basic frames, with better stats and more polarity slots for modding.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The upgrades are USUALLY pretty slight, there are a couple exceptions but generally speaking you're looking at maybe saving a forma and getting an extra little bit of health or shields

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's just a small increase to a stat like health, shields, energy capacity, armor, or sprint speed. Powers, the important thing, will function exactly the same, so if you only have the normal version of a frame, it's fine, they can still do what they're made to do as well as if you had a prime.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Okay, that's cool.

Are Nyx/Rhino considered decent frames? I'm considering buying that prime pack when I have the money (I know people tend to discourage buying frames, but hey, it comes with 1200 platinum as well, so)

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Okay, that's cool.

Are Nyx/Rhino considered decent frames? I'm considering buying that prime pack when I have the money (I know people tend to discourage buying frames, but hey, it comes with 1200 platinum as well, so)

Rhino is very simple, but I like it. You activate iron skin at the start of a mission and you basically don't have to worry about dying.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Probably enough material for a Warframe thread tbh

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Rhino's relatively easy to get through regular gameplay though, just gotta run one of the earlier boss missions a few times.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Rhino's a top tier frame. Nyx is mid-tier these days, I think, but she's still solid CC.
    Yeah buying frames from the marketplace is something you should never do, but prime access stuff is usually an okay use of your money. Particularly if you want the exclusive cosmetics from that bunch.

Yeah, it's $60 for the two frames with their weapons and everything, and I figured with 1000 platinum being $50, $60 for 2 frames, their weapons, cosmetics, etc, plus 1200 platinum, works out to be a decent deal.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Rhino is a common recommendation to new players because it's one of the first frames you can farm the blueprints for, and is one of the most tanky frames thanks to its ability that puts a big meaty damage shield on you. In terms of nigh-permanent unkillability it's probably outclassed only by Trinity and its making itself and its whole squad have nigh-infinite energy and healing and massive armor buffs and shield overcharges. Nyx used to be kind of outclassed because it was one of the earliest frames added, and frame power levels have powercreeped up a lot, but they reworked it a year or two ago so it's probably good now, I never used it though. Nyx is squishy compared to Rhino, as most frames are, but its gimmick is that it has big area of effect crowd control powers.

One thing to note about Rhino, you can farm the blueprints for the parts from Venus' boss mission, but to actually build all of them takes a resource you won't be able to find before... I think it was Jupiter, so you have to progress through Venus, Mercury, a bit more of Earth, Mars, Phobos, and Ceres before you can actually start fabricating it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    please make a warframe thread

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I thought this was about Spiderman Rhino and I was confused

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I thought this was about Spiderman Rhino and I was confused

Ive got that box of Ultimate Spideman sitting right behind me on my book shelf

I should play that again that games aight

icGJy2C.png
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    So Metal Gear Solid 5 definitive edition is only £10 in that GMG sale.

I'm guessing that's a must buy at that price? I've heard good things about it.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    So Metal Gear Solid 5 definitive edition is only £10 in that GMG sale.

I'm guessing that's a must buy at that price? I've heard good things about it.

When you're boots on the ground running a mission, it's one of the best games ever made. Everything else is kinda garbage.

it's fun to play, if you like sneakin' gameplay
    the story's kind of nonsense though and there's not as much cinematic cutscene stuff as in the rest of the MGS series

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    I don't know what Hunt: Showdown is but I see a guy in a Confederate hat and I lose interest

Unless you're Hunting down Confederates, in which case Maybe

Or maybe it's a Union hat? I don't know, the Civil War was so long ago.

Anyway, we just got Red Dead 2 and I didn't finish that one either.

that's a union hat

So, there was a free weekend for this game awhile ago, and I couldn't stop playing it.

The main mode is 5 teams of 2 on a large map in the bayou with weather effects, and a bunch of mobs with a Left For Dead touch to them. You're trying to find clues to mark off bits of the map and narrow down where one or two marks (bounties) are. Oh and it's got a bit of a roguelike element to it since if your hunter dies, he's lost, including all the items he has on him. There are currently 4 different types, and it might be the best game I've played in the past 10 years. I suggest waiting for another free weekend, but the price for the game is already amazing, and they're still consistently updating it.

Like, lets say you drop in with a basic level 1 hunter with the starting weapons (a boomstick and a revolver pistol, both AMAZING but basic as heck) if you merk a couple dudes who are high level you can PERMANENTLY take their weapons or loot.

Oh and the game is ALL ABOUT sound! Everything on the map is a trap in a sense. You risk being noticed by engaging with enemies with gunfire, or running into flocks of birds. Oh and voicechat is proximity-based and can totally be used against you, even the in-game chat is too!

The very last game I played, me and random mate found the Mark and I proceeded to wait in front of a door after hearing footsteps outside. Two dudes opened it with one holding a lanturn (you can interact with a LOT of ingame items) I shot the dude with a lantern he dropped it and set both himself and his friend on fire, he ran off and straight into an immolator (zombie that is on fire) as the immolator exploded takin' him out. I was shot from behind by another team that had come around to the other side of the barn I was in though, so I guess that's fair play! I didn't expect two teams at once.

Hunt: Showdown gave me the same vibes I got from Team SWAT from Halo 3. <3

I need to actually buy it when it goes on sale again.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    what is nitro

also that is a lot of pretty dressup clothes you get

where did all those other posts come from

PiptheFair wrote: »
    what is nitro

Nitro is Discord's premium thing, and you also get access to some games when you subscribe.

PiptheFair wrote: »
    what is nitro

Nitro is Discord's premium thing, and you also get access to some games when you subscribe.

how much is it

the saryn is easy to farm, but not all that extra shit

saryn is very very annoying to farm
    but we have a warframe thread now for me to complain about how long it took me to get the last stupid fucking saryn blueprint, comparable only to the grind it took me to get nidus

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    GET OUT OF HERE

*clapshandsrapidly*

GODDAMN TENNO TO YOUR OWN THREAD

This discussion has been closed.