As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Trogdor is arriving today. Just in time for our staff party this weekend.

This will be most glorious

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm pretty tempted to pick up the new Choose Your Own Adventure game, as my wife and I really enjoyed the first one. This one has a map that you fly a spaceship around on which sounds neat.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I'm pretty tempted to pick up the new Choose Your Own Adventure game, as my wife and I really enjoyed the first one. This one has a map that you fly a spaceship around on which sounds neat.

Is that the 80's book styled one?
    Might try borrowing my friend's copy of the first one.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Is that the 80's book styled one?
    Might try borrowing my friend's copy of the first one.

It's great as long as you know what it is going in. One and done, extremely very silly, lots of dice, not a lot of meaningful gameplay decisions.

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    In case anyone missed out on it before but wants a crack at 7th Continent, the publisher (Serious Poulp) is selling their stock of copies of the game and expansions via their store page as of this morning.

Was able to grab the big expansion, the weather one, and creatures. Sad about missing the three expansion pack but it sounds like two of them will be available come winter time.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So the Gloomhaven digital version is out in beta. Thoughts?

MrBody on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Bargain Quest is almost here, I'm watching a stream right now. Can't wait, though it will probably ship when I'm out of town.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    In case anyone missed out on it before but wants a crack at 7th Continent, the publisher (Serious Poulp) is selling their stock of copies of the game and expansions via their store page as of this morning.

Damnit i don't know how but i missed the email yesterday. They are already sold out of the small expansions collection. They do still have the main game + main expansion tho.

What the crap I didn't get an email either. Nothing in spam.

I did get an email, i just was working from home and I guess, was checking my phone less than usual. Did you sign up for the newsletter on the poulp website beforehand?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »

Damnit i don't know how but i missed the email yesterday. They are already sold out of the small expansions collection. They do still have the main game + main expansion tho.

What the crap I didn't get an email either. Nothing in spam.

I did get an email, i just was working from home and I guess, was checking my phone less than usual. Did you sign up for the newsletter on the poulp website beforehand?

I did!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
      Tried out Tiny Towns last night and hey, that seems real neat!

I like how nice and simple it is while also really putting the screws to your brain's spatial considerations

6F32U1X.png
    • Options
      StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Four games of Root today!

Game 1: Cats vs. Birds vs. Thief
      I was dumb and picked the Trader as my leader. You are never going to have enough cards to do this in the early game, kids. Unless the Vagabond is really nice to you, and that's not a guarantee. Thief and Cats got real chummy early on, eventually squeezing me out. But the Thief didn't know when to pivot from friend to foe, and Cats ran away with the game.
      Winner: Cats

Game 2: Cats vs. Birds vs. Alliance vs. Tinker
      I was dumb and picked the Charismatic Leader without realizing I had no cards to move out of my clearing! Then, on turn two, I lost four warriors to a revolt and went into turmoil again. The alliance was also very slow to start, and the Tinker was more inwardly focused, so the cats took this one too.
      Winner: Cats

Game 3: Cats vs. Alliance vs. Otters vs. Tinker
      We wanted a "weird" combo, so I went otters. I was new to them, and players were very wary of my, well, wares. Even the alliance, who had very bad draws and could have really benefited from using the riverboats more often to branch out to more lucrative clearings, only paid out a few times. Cats were very aggressive with stomping out sympathy, and with the other two factions kind flailing about doing nothing, the Tinker kinda sat back building up until the endgame where they pivoted into offense to take them home.
      Winner: Tinker

Game 4: Cats vs. Birds vs. Alliance vs. Ranger
      Birds had an early turmoil due to Cats cutting off a key nest they were relying on. Birds did manage to bounce back a bit, and some early pressure gave the ranger a really slow start. Cats were also keeping pressure on my sympathy tokens. This was probably the most interesting game, with people getting in a groove and understanding the need to balance advancing their own agendas while preventing other players from going off. Unfortunately I was able to build my bases and maintain a low profile to avoid being a target. I likely would have been the next big target, but then I got Favor of the Mice and effectively kneecapped the cats and birds from the map. Cats even lost their keep to Favor, preventing field hospitals to save their troops. The seven points shot me straight up to a commanding lead, and the Ranger could only do but so much damage. With the cats and birds largely out of the picture, losing a base and several tokens was still insufficient to block my victory.
      Winner: Alliance

I also want to note how much this game benefits from an experienced group. My friends just getting into board games took a while to even understand the rules. My regular gaming group got the gist of it by game two, and only need a bit of clarification when piloting a new faction. It's not a hard game to teach to a group familiar with asymmetrical factions. They can segregate the general rules from the more specific ones. People newer to board games just get overwhelmed no matter how you approach it. Also, I didn't bother with the two-turn tutorial with my regular group, because even with the newer group it failed to drive home the lessons.

YL9WnCY.png
    • Options
      GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
      First game of Trogdor was great. Seemed to hit the mark between too hard and too easy. Burned a couple of peasants at the start. Realised we dont get them back, spent the latter half dodging knights on no health and won due to Trogdor's firey rage getting the last villager.

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      Board game thread, I need your help. Someone is selling there board games in a Facebook group on the cheap, most of which I’ve never played and aren’t sure if they’re worth it. He’s offering:
      • Small World: Underground $10
      • Resident Evil: deck building $5
      • Arctic Scavengers + HQ exp $5
      • Tragedy Looper $5
      • Dead Last $5
      • Beyond Baker Street $5
      • bang! $5

Some are already garnering interest (Bag, Dead Last, Tragedy Looper), so I need to move fast.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      Small world and bang are good at what they do, though they're both kind of light. I would say those two are super cheap at those prices

sig.gif
    • Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      Arctic Scavengers is a fun and thematic competitive deckbuilder. It's not perfect, but you could do much worse for $5, especially if your shelves are not already full of Dominion and its clones.

• Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      Bang has player elimination and can also go quite long. I enjoy it, but there are many better hidden role games these days.

• Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      Tragedy Looper is a great game with a confusing rulebook and a horrible help/guide/tutorial book wrapped in animu art that needs a dedicated foursome to maximize its fun. If you can say yes to all these, it's a steal at that price.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Small world and bang are good at what they do, though they're both kind of light. I would say those two are super cheap at those prices

FWIW Underground is my favorite edition of Small World. That being said I still haven't touched it in ages.

Bang! has been utterly supplanted by the dice version.

• Options
      Beyond Baker Street it's a fun hanabi variant

• Options
      initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
      edited July 2019
      Had another staff party last night.

Started with the learning 6-p game of Trogdor! which at one point I worried was going to be over before the 5th/6th players took there turn but it really slows down when everyone realized they had to protect Trogdors last health with only one peasant left to chomp. In the end we burninated. Game is real light but it's fun. The writing is a mix of callbacks and just solid comedy writing in their particular style. I was going to back it even if the game was trash so it's nice to get something I'll actually want to play again.

Then we played a 4p game of Thunderstone Quest and taught two people who thoroughly enjoyed it while also thoroighly beating the two of us who knew how to play the game.

After some filler Coups and skull while the groups finished their various big time commitment games, we got into a 5p game of villainous with everyone who was left and it was the first time I'd played at more than 2 and I think I liked the game much more this way

initiatefailure on
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      edited July 2019
      Okay, bit of a stupid question here:

We're looking to sleeve the Villainous expansion decks, but we totally forgot what brand of sleeves we used for the base game. Here's what we do know:

- It's transparent, and doesn't have a matte back
      - It's premium, not penny sleeves
      - It's not Fantasy Flight Games. FFGs fit the cards perfectly. This one has plenty of give, kinda like Ultra Pros do
      - It's not Ultra Pro, since it lacks the foil dot on one side (are there Ultra Pro sleeves without it?)
      - We're 90% sure it's not Mayday, since we never buy the standard sized Mayday sleeves
      - It's not KMC Hyper Mattes, since the back isn't matte
      - It's not Dragonshield, because if it was, I definitely would reuse the three Dragonshield clear boxes

Any ideas?

Wearingglasses on
    • Options
      Just One won the Spiel des Jahres (beating out Werewords and LAMA) and Wingspan won the Kennerspiel (against Carpe Diem and Detective).

I haven't played any of the nominees this year, so I don't have much by way of comment here. But my uneducated take is that both nominee lists looked a bit thin this year -- it's hard to imagine LAMA being one of the three best family games of the year, and Carpe Diem and Detective both look like yet another take on other, better games.

• Options
      JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      This was one of the easiest winner predictions ever. A couple in my group are salty about the Spiel award shifting toward "party games," but I think Just One is a solid, solid choice.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      Just One is absolutely fantastic, as I've mentioned before, so it feels pretty valid sitting where it landed, but I haven't played the other two nominees to have much comparison.

However, yeah, the "enthusiast" releases this year haven't been particularly "wow-ing" if you've been in the hobby for any longer than a year or two. I mean, Wingspan probably deserves it for the year so far, but the game is a far-cry from a perfect 10 or anything.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

We're looking to sleeve the Villainous expansion decks, but we totally forgot what brand of sleeves we used for the base game. Here's what we do know:

- It's not Fantasy Flight Games. FFGs fit the cards perfectly. This one has plenty of give, kinda like Ultra Pros do
      - It's not Ultra Pro, since it lacks the foil dot on one side (are there Ultra Pro sleeves without it?)
      - We're 90% sure it's not Mayday, since we never buy the standard sized Mayday sleeves
      - It's not Dragonshield, because if it was, I definitely would reuse the three Dragonshield clear boxes

Any ideas?

Ultra Pro shifted to a mostly-transparent dot a few years ago. If it was there you'd most likely know, though.

• Options
      Vyolynce wrote: »

Any ideas?

Ultra Pro shifted to a mostly-transparent dot a few years ago. If it was there you'd most likely know, though.

Ah yeah, I noticed that. I use the Ultra Pro clears for the Scott Pilgrim deckbuilder game. Definitely not in the Villainous sleeves, though.

The Villainous ones measure 66.5 mm x 94 mm, for additional reference.

• Options
      CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
      I love Wingspan and I'm very happy for the team behind it.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    • Options
      Man, I feel like Kickstarter is being incredibly honest with this feature. :P
      0pt9t9sglrl6.png

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      I'm going to make a Kickstarter for my new board game: cardboard and wood. Revolutionize board game components into a new Era!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      I'm going to make a Kickstarter for my new board game: cardboard and wood. Revolutionize board game components into a new Era!

The rulebook will be printed on regular paper.

steam_sig.png
    • Options

What? No. The rulebook will be printed on wood. This is a premium product, good Sir.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

What? No. The rulebook will be printed on wood. This is a premium product, good Sir.

For truly premium, it needs to be printed on the inside of the lid.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      edited July 2019
      Hedgethorn wrote: »
      Just One won the Spiel des Jahres (beating out Werewords and LAMA) and Wingspan won the Kennerspiel (against Carpe Diem and Detective).

I haven't played any of the nominees this year, so I don't have much by way of comment here. But my uneducated take is that both nominee lists looked a bit thin this year -- it's hard to imagine LAMA being one of the three best family games of the year, and Carpe Diem and Detective both look like yet another take on other, better games.

Having played LAMA, it is most decidedly not.

Darric on
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited July 2019
      Our annual board game cabin trip(5 days with 6 guys rotating in and out) was pretty great and packed with lots of gaming:

1. LOTR: Journeys in Middle Earth
      2. Azul
      3. The Mind (I read criticism but seems perfect for wasting a quick 20 min when needed)
      4. An Exit game
      5. Underwater Cities (I loved this game - first time playing)
      6. This War of Mine (we need to be more morally absent)
      7. Inis
      8. Rising Sun

Non boardgames:
      1. Smash Bros
      2. Hammerwatch
      3. 9 Parchments
      4. Sega and SNES games

I got pics but they're too big. Fantastic gaming; probably the best one in terms of gaming efficiency.

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        azith28azith28 Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fQGPZTECYs

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
      • Options
        38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
        Borrowed Gugong from a friend for a second play and to see if my wife liked it. Turned out the wall isn't really over powered if no one else wants to work on it. I still like the gift trading mechanic but other than that I think it is just okay. Wife bounced off it hard though. Although she may have just really wanted to play Ra. (Understandable I love Ra also.) The game felt heavy to the table because it took some 3 hours. So good thing I just borrowed it.

Played Chaos in the Old World with two new players and one second timer. I still love this old area control game. This time we had nobles everywhere and slaanesh hid in the bottom of the map dumping all of his warriors and greater demon in the second area giving him a buffer zone. Tzeentch tried to empty his hand every turn looking for more teleports. He spent the first one to drop Khrone on me. Slaanesh was on the verge of dial victory through double ticks and also victory points as he stacked nobles in his corner. Tzeentch dropped stasis on the adjacent regions preventing anyone from making it Slaneshville. We got some lucky cards and were able to prevent that win, but I managed to take VP victory as Nurgle with his very boring upgrade of +3 points per ruined region. I know its absurdly strong but it feels boring.

Ended last night with a game of Signorie which is a dice drafting game. It is interesting because you want to draft high dice and low dice. You want your four dice to total 13 or less, but if your dice aren't at least as high as the space you put them on you need to put in money to make up the difference. Putting a die on a space lets you either take an action, sell off your children for rewards or buy a helper for another space. Helpers are great because they give you a bonus every time you place a die on a color for the rest of the game. Money is pretty tight, but if you aren't under 14 at the end of the round then you don't get a wife. You can accrue up to 5 wives so that you can get up to 5 children when you roll for babies. Your male children can be educated and then married for up to 13 victory points each, while your female children uh, you can pay to marry them off. They can't be educated. I know this is modeling a period in Italy, but still would feel akward explaining the game to my daughters. Which is too bad because the game is fun, with a lot of good choices to make each move.

38thDoE on steam
        🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
        DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
        What is currently regarded as the best living board game with a primarily co-op function? I know there's been a ton of deckbuilder/miniature driven co-op dungeon crawly type games for awhile.

What is this I don't even.
      • Options
        admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        Darkewolfe wrote: »
        What is currently regarded as the best living board game with a primarily co-op function? I know there's been a ton of deckbuilder/miniature driven co-op dungeon crawly type games for awhile.

By living do you mean... legacy mechanics? If so, Pandemic or Gloomhaven.

If not, Sprit Island.

• Options
      • Options
        DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
        I just mean mechanics of carrying onward. Like, I want to play Gloomhaven but think that it's slightly beyond the reach of time and rules commitment I can get people together for.

What is this I don't even.