As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the netcode did seem smoother. played a bunch of games with bryar and vw - our pre-patch connection was fine but I didn't notice any hiccups at all this time

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I would say that purely as a game, and not as a streaming product, DBFZ is very very good, and has been linearly great since release, barring some launch issues

over 1k entrants for a game that doesn't get too much hype or exposure anymore is still pretty solid...

It's very fun, runs good.... the gameplay is accessible... I don't think it's unfair to make an apples to apples comparison with Guilty Gear and say DBFZ is a better fighting game on the whole... it takes all that style and polish of GG, and puts in a familiar setting with easier gameplay

They did the job. Apart from a mildly ridiculous cast, I don't think they could have done better. Which is a shame because they're giving it half-hearted post release support... it could have been the greatest game of this generation. Instead it will go down as an also-ran that relieved us of Marvel Infinite

Its very fun. Please play it with me.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i still kinda like how crazy guilty gear is

like damn I'm too stupid to play this game, but I like seeing pool cue guy vs bed guy vs pulls things out of a bag guy

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    As evo draws near, it is time for my annual tradition of fangirling about John Choi and revisiting the most important thing ever written about fighting games
    John Choi wrote:
    Playing to win is different than playing not to lose. If you play not to lose, you start to doubt yourself, become scared, and your execution and end result will all reflect that. You must be confident in your abilities and play to win. Go for that combo, go for that uppercut, and go for the win.

I did very unusual things this past EVO. It was the first time I ever played Ken in a ST tournament. I also played in the 3S tournament for the first time in about 5 years. It was also my first ever EVO win. I was never scared and did more uppercuts than usual. I had a different mindset going into the tournament since up until August 4th; I was not going to EVO. Reasons are below.

Some of you have seen my father on 'Bang the Machine' asking about the cheese. He's a typical hard working immigrant working to support his family. He had some stomach pains and went in for a checkup in the middle of July. He then got diagnosed with stage 4 stomach cancer. Stage 4 is the most advanced stage of cancer. He also had the most aggressive type of cancer that spreads very quickly and needs to be treated immediately. There was already spread to nearby parts, including near his heart. The doctors gave him 1 year to live. As you can probably guess, this turned our whole family's life upside down.

Since that day, there were numerous changes to our family's life. Things were changing very quickly and a million and one things happened before the final plan was formed. We got opinions from 5 different doctors. Two suggested a major procedure to try and save his life. But he would basically be crippled after the surgery. Two other docs suggested he had no chance to live and to just live out the 1 year as best as he can. Their thoughts were the procedure was too risky as he had 15% chance of dying from complications while on the operating table, and numerous more risks afterwards. And the additional spread near his heart was very difficult to treat even if surgery is successful. Hence they did not think it was worth it to go for it. At one point that was the route our family was leaning towards. To let him just enjoy the last year of life as best as we could. After seeking out the opinion of a 5th doctor who recommended surgery, the decision was left up to him. My dad is a fighter. He did not hesitate at all and decided to fight.

He would get an operation where they would remove his entire stomach and affected surrounding lymph nodes. His small intestine will be stretched out up to his esophagus and the connection would be made. While that connection heals, he will get a feeding tube directly from his intestine through the side of his body where a machine can feed him. If the connection heals, he will be able to eat through his mouth. But due to no stomach storage, his diet will be very limited. No more fancy steaks and he will have to eat many, many times a day to maintain his caloric needs. Doctors estimated he would lose about 40 pounds. If the operation is a success, that would only address the original growth area. Chemo and radiation rounds will be needed to address the other spread. A long road to victory.

Since he will be unable to work afterwards, he sold his business. Being a trooper that he is, he worked up until July 29th and then handed over the keys on that date. His surgery was next morning on the 30th. The operation was estimated to take 8 - 10 hours. The doctors said if the operation is a success, he would be in ICU for about a week then regular ward for another week, and then if everything is okay he can finally come home. I took a leave of absence from work starting on the 30th. I'm also in a MBA program and had my final presentation on August 4th and final exam on August 11th. I was about to drop out of my MBA program. Obviously, EVO was not in my plans.

A truly emotional time in our family's life followed the days leading up to the surgery. I can't remember the last time I saw so many tears. The operation took 9.5 hours. It was the longest 9.5 hours of my entire life. But thankfully, the operation was a complete success.

When I was able to see him, he had 13 tubes coming out of his body, including 5 directly out of his chest. He was unable to speak for pretty much all of next day after the surgery. He was always very strong, being an athlete for a long time in Korea. He was a Judo and Greco Roman wrestling champion. But I have never seen him that weak in my entire life. But being the fighter that he is his recovery was faster than expected. Each day he got stronger and stronger and he amazed the doctors. Although it took him 15 minutes and the assistance of nurses, he was able to sit up straight in just a few days. Just 5 days after the surgery, he said he was tired of lying in bed and wanted to walk. When he got up and walked 20 feet, he truly reminded me of Ironman. 13 tubes out of his body and yet he would not just lie down and be idle.

He knew about EVO coming up and knew I was not going. But that Monday after he walked he was in good spirits. He amazed everyone with his strength and speedy recovery. He talked to me and asked why I'm wasting my time at the hospital when I have stuff to take care of. He basically said that he took care of his stuff and now it was time to go take care of mine. Go finish my class, go to EVO, and go on with life. Go find the cheese.

That night on Monday I gave my final class presentation and bought my ticket for Vegas. The next day I prepared my final exam study materials and met up with Graham at night to cram in 4 hours of ST practice. The next night was CvS2 practice with Ricky. By Thursday I was EVO bound with a completely different mindset. Perhaps the other years I went to EVO trying not to lose. It’s easy to go to the biggest tournament of the year and be afraid of losing. But things were different this time. Yes EVO is the world tournament that only comes once a year. But in the grand scheme of things, EVO is nothing. Around the world people are fighting in wars, fighting for their rights, and some are fighting for their lives. EVO is just a little tournament. I went in with that mindset and played as best as I could without being afraid. My father was home battling for his life. My battle in Vegas pales in comparison. EVO ended, I flew back at 5PM Monday while studying on the plane, and went straight to take my final at 6PM.

My father is now recovering at home. His chemo rounds will start soon and the fight is still ongoing. But we will all hope for the best and support him in his fight.

Life throws curve balls at you but you learn to deal with it. That is exactly what my father did and what makes him so great. He doesn't drink or smoke and exercises regularly, yet this happened to him. But he did not sit still and cry about it. He kept on trucking and fought with all his heart. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can not do something. I can win EVO, he can beat cancer, and you can do anything that you want in life. Life is a game and you are here to win. Now go out there and go for the win.

I hope all of you will do the same in not just Street Fighter but in all aspects of life. Go win.

I want to thank Kim 'ohayo1234' Hoang for talking me into writing this. This was a little personal and I did not want to write about it, but he thought it might be good for people to read. I hope it can inspire and help some players. Thanks to all my family and friends for the support throughout the recent difficult times. Thank you Mr. Wizard for entering me at the tournaments at last minute. And of course all of SRK staff for all the support.

Thank you Albert and all of Keystone, you guys are the main reason for my success in Street Fighter and continued passion in the scene.

Thank you dad for showing me what a true champion is. The cheese is for you.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I would say that purely as a game, and not as a streaming product, DBFZ is very very good, and has been linearly great since release, barring some launch issues

over 1k entrants for a game that doesn't get too much hype or exposure anymore is still pretty solid...

It's very fun, runs good.... the gameplay is accessible... I don't think it's unfair to make an apples to apples comparison with Guilty Gear and say DBFZ is a better fighting game on the whole... it takes all that style and polish of GG, and puts in a familiar setting with easier gameplay

They did the job. Apart from a mildly ridiculous cast, I don't think they could have done better. Which is a shame because they're giving it half-hearted post release support... it could have been the greatest game of this generation. Instead it will go down as an also-ran that relieved us of Marvel Infinite

Its very fun. Please play it with me.

One day. If I were not having literally the time of my life in EVE right now I'd be grinding Samsho and DBZ. Just no room for FGs right now

Jasconius on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Subject to change, but at Evo I'm currently in the same Smash pool as Mango and Chudat.

I don't recognize anyone in my UNIST or BBtag pools, but that doesn't mean that some amazing people aren't in there somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8cSgDYDIM

god tekken has such good fuckin music

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm in the same pool as Clearlamp and Floe, so weeeee.
    I feel like I've been given some real benefit of the doubt for some reason, because I'm seeded at 130. Either that or someone else has had my name at some point. :P

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm expecting a lot of announcements at Evo cause that front has been a bit dry the last few months.

Hell we were supposed to have Cassandra in SC6 by now.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i totally forgot about that

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    soul calibur 6's post launch content has been glacially released

i assume that the game just wound up not selling well or something

liEt3nH.png
    cassandra is not exactly an exciting addition either so I probably wiped it from memory

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Naw. They said the game did well. Not the best ever but pretty good. Which makes the slow content releases even stranger.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Naw. They said the game did well. Not the best ever but pretty good. Which makes the slow content releases even stranger.

They also had some great post release tournaments and were really responsive with multiple updates, but even that stuff has been quiet lately

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    When's testament going to be in GG??

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    RoyalFlush is the only name I recognize in my bbtag pool, and i don't recognize anyone in UNIST.

But Samsho? Round 1 gootecks.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I gotta say one of my most recent fighting game regrets was not buying unist when it was on sale two weeks ago on psn. It's been one of my favorite games to watch recently and it would be cool to actually learn some characters and understand more of what's going on.

Hopefully we get some evo sales or an uniclr announcement.

I actually just fired up my ps3 copy of the first game and I think I know why I didn't give it any time. There seems to be no tutorial of any kind, and no combo trials. I feel like I'm going crazy though because I feel like I've done a tutorial.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Samurai Shodown — Results

1. BC|Kazunoko (Haohmaru, Genjuro)
    2. MVP|Pekos (Haohmaru)
    3. UYU|OilKing (Haohmaru)
    4. Lord Tenners (Genjuro, Tam Tam)

What if Haohmaru was the real monsters

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    Radius wrote: »
    RoyalFlush is the only name I recognize in my bbtag pool, and i don't recognize anyone in UNIST.

But Samsho? Round 1 gootecks.

get em

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I gotta say one of my most recent fighting game regrets was not buying unist when it was on sale two weeks ago on psn. It's been one of my favorite games to watch recently and it would be cool to actually learn some characters and understand more of what's going on.

Hopefully we get some evo sales or an uniclr announcement.

I actually just fired up my ps3 copy of the first game and I think I know why I didn't give it any time. There seems to be no tutorial of any kind, and no combo trials. I feel like I'm going crazy though because I feel like I've done a tutorial.

UNIEL is pretty bare bones.

UNIST has an absolutely extensive absolute basics beginner to tournament level pro training mode, extensive mission modes per character, and a full on story mode for those that want it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Hmm...the last balance patch somehow made DBFZ competitive teams even more homogeneous from what I'm seeing.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...the last balance patch somehow made DBFZ competitive teams even more homogeneous from what I'm seeing.

At a glance, the feeling I get is that Kid Goku is super strong, so it isn't too surprising that some of the strong teams are Kid Goku/<your regular pair>. Bardock is still Bardock, and Goku has been buffed directly and indirectly enough that he's basically the new Bardock.

Looking at this top 8:

1. CO|Go1 (Bardock, Kid Goku, Goku)
    2. CO|Fenrich (Cell, Bardock, Vegeta)
    3. Wawa (Kid Goku, Base Goku, Goku)
    4. NRG|HookGangGod (Piccolo, Bardock, Vegeta | Piccolo, Bardock, Kid Goku)
    5. VGIA|Shanks (Android 18, Adult Gohan, Goku)
    5. WrNx|Kayne (Teen Gohan, Goku Black, Kid Goku)
    7. Maddo (Kid Buu, Yamcha, Adult Gohan)
    7. BC|Kazunoko (Kid Buu, Adult Gohan, Yamcha)

GO1's team since Bardock's release has basically been Bardock + 2 top tiers
    Fenrich's team is unchanged
    Wawa has the novelty of Base Goku
    HookGangGod is still Bardock/Piccolo/somebody-probably-Vegeta, except when it's Kid Goku
    Kazunoko's team is unchanged
    Kayne's team is kinda novel, plus Kid Goku
    Maddo's team is Kazunoko's team
    Shanks I'm unfamiliar with but his team would've been novel a patch or two ago

I think Kid Goku is just so overwhelmingly strong that it feels like unless you are going with your familiar team, you have to come up with reasons to NOT pick Kid Goku, and that's a problem. SSJ Goku being strong isn't necessarily bad, but when he's so good that he just fills slots Bardock or Cell might've filled in the past and there aren't other compelling picks, that's also not good.

We've actually reached the point where seeing Cell and Android 16 are relative novelties. In the entire top 32, there was only a single Cell team (single-cell team?) and a single Android 16 team. We actually need the gimmicks to be STRONGER! What a world.

the answer is clear, give up on dbfz and move onto the next flash in the pan like we always do

I'm kind of curious what their plan was for dbfz from the beginning. It definitely doesn't feel like a game that they want to significantly update as the years go on. It wouldn't surprise me if the game is done after this season of characters is out.

How big can arc sys actually be? Between dragon ball, bbtag, granblue and supposedly guilty gear their plates have to be pretty full. There were even rumors of a P5 arena.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    that's the tradeoff for the simplicity of the game

luckily... unless you're doing and playing against people who are doing perfectly layered OS-backed snap pressure, the high level tournament DBFZ meta does not impact you in any way at all

but as a spectator sport yeah... I think they didn't do a good job... but I'd take a fun to play game over a fun to watch game any time....

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Im hesitant to say they did a bad job with dbfz in terms of balance

1v1 fighters are notoriously hard to balance, nevermind a 3v3 with assists. Also theres never been a truly balanced 3v3 game. Its a fools errand to try to acheive and unrealistic to expect.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    I actually quite liked watching DBFZ for a time, even though I don't play it anymore!
    I remember a time when the novelty of Piccolo being possibly actually good was reason enough to watch HookGangGod!

such innocent times

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I am so completely thrilled with that Sunday order, as someone who lives in a time zone 3 hours ahead of Nevada and doesn't care about Smash. <3

ArcticLancer on
    tfw they accidentally made Saturday the best finals day

I'm not that interested in Smash, but I am interested in seeing Spooky set us free, so I will probably tune back in at the end for that.

Now that I think about it, what if Netherrealms dug up the Riki-Oh live-action guy so that Riki-Oh could be in the game? The character in the movie/manga already does tons of gruesome moves or gets involved in tons of gruesomeness, and in the first live action movie the Liu Kang actor even had the same haircut.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    so smash is gonna be starting at 12:30 am EST on monday? lol final days

J3qcnBP.png
    So Smash is gonna be the last game...that actually works cause I'll be able to sleep at a reasonable time.

I want to watch smash but that is very late possibly

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Smash being last means everybody wins except for competitive Smash fans in the east coast of NA and all of EU. Japan is fine, though!

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I'm excited for the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 announcement!!!

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    P10 wrote: »

ellie from last of us
    alloy from horizon zero dawn
    boy from dad of war
    the ladies from the uncharted spinoff game
    cop spider-man
    norman reedus + weird baby from death stranding
    1886 from the order 1886
    crappy piece of shit dude from days gone
    2001 nissan skyline R34 GT-R V Spec II from gran turismo

edited July 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »

ellie from last of us
    alloy from horizon zero dawn
    boy from dad of war
    the ladies from the uncharted spinoff game
    cop spider-man
    norman reedus + weird baby from death stranding
    1886 from the order 1886
    crappy piece of shit dude from days gone
    2001 nissan skyline R34 GT-R V Spec II from gran turismo

which car would you pick as the representative of guest franchise riiiiiiiiiiiiidge racer?

l_g on
This discussion has been closed.