As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I wonder to what extent aesthetics shape player preferences for roles.

Are enthusiastic main tank mains rarer in part because the MT aesthetics (and even worse, the anchor tank aesthetics) don't do it for people?

Like, if we ever got D.Mon as an anchor tank that'd be 90% of my play time locked up right there.

You telling me there are people out there for whom the aesthetics of Rein don't do it?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    @Kupi literally the exact same suggestion on the official OW forums today:
    Might also want to consider reworking some heroes to become tanks/supports to reduce the time it’ll take to fill up the support/tank roster.
    I.E, reduce doom’s damage by 60% but give him like 100 more hp and increase his passive shield gain. As well as remove the need to reload his handgun, and maybe turn it into more of a single projectile weapon. He’d be a legitimate off tank.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/i-love-2-2-2-role-lock-but/372752/2?u=chance-12489

In all seriousness, I disclaim any influence by this post. My bad ideas are my own! :lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I wonder to what extent aesthetics shape player preferences for roles.

Are enthusiastic main tank mains rarer in part because the MT aesthetics (and even worse, the anchor tank aesthetics) don't do it for people?

Like, if we ever got D.Mon as an anchor tank that'd be 90% of my play time locked up right there.

You telling me there are people out there for whom the aesthetics of Rein don't do it?

Main Tanks are the Horde before blood elves, with the population to match.

Their entire aesthetic is like, fifth RPG party member you like but not enough to fit into your 4-man squad.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Weird monobrow science man tank is probably not the answer I was looking for to my aesthetics problem.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Eccch give me deets. Also

5obflumqlipq.png
    2jpyyafgtia8.png
    zowpz45941dj.png
    https://karniz.tumblr.com

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Is that and the screenshot with his name/portrait all we have? g3mefqkys3b31.jpg

Suggests a weird science man offtank or DPS but not much else.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i wish they had given brig the wow warrior intervene ability - dash to a team mate and give them a defensive buff - and dropped the whip shot. would be so nice to be able to be like SUP FRIEND IM HALPING U and it would be so fun with the new inspire - teleport to people getting dived, stun the person on them while giving them a strong aoe heal and shielding in front of them

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Before his reveal, I thought for sure Doomfist was going to be a tank. With reduced damage and more health, he wouldn't be that different from Hammond.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really like that your roles will all have their own MMR/SR.

I know my Tank/Support are like Diamond/Master rank but I'd put my DPS around Gold/Platinum but would like that work on it.

• Options
    My only complaint with Doomfist as a tank is that he never stands his ground, he's always doing hit and run. Hammond moves around a lot, but once he initiates a fight he's in there being a frontline tank. It's important for a tank to have a steady presence in the front line of a fight.

I think I would nerf his mid-air rocket punch as a mobility tool, make that really be his primary attack that works best on the ground. Maybe give him a defensive thing instead of the fist bullets, like a mini Rein shield?

• Options

This is a character tease right? Does any known character match up with the black hole thing and the formulas? Doesn't seem like Mauga. All we know for sure is that he's male.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

This is a character tease right? Does any known character match up with the black hole thing and the formulas? Doesn't seem like Mauga. All we know for sure is that he's male.

It seems to be a completely new character, called 'Sigma'. Portrait and name in the screenshot I linked above.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Doomfist would require a fairly substantial rework to make him a proper tank, including somehow changing his design to incorporate a bigger tank-sized model, to the point I'd rather they just put that energy into working on an actual new tank.

• Options
    Yeah. I don't think they should change the roles of any DPS. Each of them has their fans.

• Options
    Yeah. I don't think they should change the roles of any DPS. Each of them has their fans.

Plus Mei's existence means you'll always be able to run 3 tanks if you wanna'.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    We're overdue for science man, post-release we've only gotten science ladies

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tbh I think the reason people don't match as tank/support isn't because they can't find one they like among the 7 choices each. Those characters cover a pretty broad range of playstyles within their roles. It's simply that they don't want to play that role for their team. Especially support, but being a tank always means your damage is pretty low, and a lot of people just don't like that. There could be 50 support characters and it wouldn't change the fact that your job is primarily to stay safe and heal your team.

Zek on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm gonna take my usual shot in the dark:

An anchor tank with a cylindrical barrier that's always on, divided into four segments. They have their own individual HP and regen timers. Your alt-fire rotates the shield so that you can keep the strongest segment in front while the weaker ones recover in the back.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm gonna take my usual shot in the dark:

An anchor tank with a cylindrical barrier that's always on, divided into four segments. They have their own individual HP and regen timers. Your alt-fire rotates the shield so that you can keep the strongest segment in front while the weaker ones recover in the back.

Aw shit I love this idea.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    My bad call is that the new character will be dual role tank/dps

So he can be selected by somebody who queued as tank or somebody who queued as dps (still only one per team though)

His kit changes slightly depending on the role of the person who picks him

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

Back before Orisa was revealed, someone figured out that the flights in the Numbani airport that were cancelled were all cities where Fashion Week was held, or something like that. It seems that Easter egg may be coming to fruition.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

So he can be selected by somebody who queued as tank or somebody who queued as dps (still only one per team though)

I feel like were that the case they would've softened the landing by announcing the same concept for Brig. Crazy idea. You meet a Sigma in a match and don't know what their abilities/stats are at first?

No -.-

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sigma is Dural in Virtua Fighter, each spawn he has different hero abilities.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I feel like were that the case they would've softened the landing by announcing the same concept for Brig. Crazy idea. You meet a Sigma in a match and don't know what their abilities/stats are at first?

No -.-

Presumably if they did something that wacky there'd be a strong visual difference between the two forms.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

No -.-

Just call that his passive, boom its a feature now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019

No -.-

Presumably if they did something that wacky there'd be a strong visual difference between the two forms.

As long as it's silhouette-altering wacky in which case it might as well be two different heroes.

Unless it's a Jekyll and Hyde hero. You pick support you can select little healer Jekyll, you go tank you get an ape to rival Winston.

Edit: but if one teammate picks the Jekyll, another teammate cannot pick Hyde. That feels important.

Chance on
  • Options
    I think role-bending heroes are done with, that's the call they made when they did role queue.

• Options
    Dual Role will be explicit in a way role bending wasn't

Brig will eventually be updated to true dual with tank and also healer roles

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    New tank will alter reality. He will be have a low cooldown gravity well like Orisa and Zarya combined but it pulls bullets, not people. He will have smaller placeable barriers that charge fairly quickly but have somewhat low haych pee. And he will somehow be able to rewind time like tracer, but for himself AND any teammate within a certain radius.

So mote it be, the Oracle has spoken.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • Options
    New tank will alter reality. He will be have a low cooldown gravity well like Orisa and Zarya combined but it pulls bullets, not people. He will have smaller placeable barriers that charge fairly quickly but have somewhat low haych pee. And he will somehow be able to rewind time like tracer, but for himself AND any teammate within a certain radius.

So mote it be, the Oracle has spoken.

There's a post on Reddit theorizing what his abilities might be, based on the equations in the video. One of them is basically that first guess.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    And still no one's punched that song into the Paris piano >.<

• Options
    Not much to talk about in these teasers, especially if you don't include the leak.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

No -.-

As long as it's silhouette-altering wacky in which case it might as well be two different heroes.

Unless it's a Jekyll and Hyde hero. You pick support you can select little healer Jekyll, you go tank you get an ape to rival Winston.

Edit: but if one teammate picks the Jekyll, another teammate cannot pick Hyde. That feels important.

There needs to be more Jekyll and Hyde-style characters in general, imo. It can lead to some super cool gameplay, like Greymane in HotS.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

No -.-

There needs to be more Jekyll and Hyde-style characters in general, imo. It can lead to some super cool gameplay, like Greymane in HotS.

As long as they're both DPS that's fine, a melee/ranged mode swapping hero would be cool. But if it was a tank/DPS hero or something, you've given players back the 3 tank comp. 2-2-2 means "god damn it, enough of this, you're going to get 2 tanks and 2 supports and you're going to like it."

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

BAH GAWD, THAT'S SIGMA'S MUSIC!

BUT HE'S NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE BUILDING TODAY!?!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    As cool as it might be in concept, they will never, ever create a dual role hero.

This discussion has been closed.