As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Touchin’ the ole Niednagel

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    They must have taken that picture at like 6AM or something, because at opening, the line was at like 2 hours

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kristen Bell seems to have gotten Kirby Howell-Baptiste (Simone) a pretty major part on the new season of Veronica Mars.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Not a heck of a lot was revealed at NYCC, but at least there's at least the chance to see nine minutes of outtakes from last season, complete with appropriately-censored swears.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not a heck of a lot was revealed at NYCC, but at least there's at least the chance to see nine minutes of outtakes from last season, complete with appropriately-censored swears.

Not normally a fan of gag reels (usually find them excessive), but "What up, dogs?" by Darcy about half way through, was awesome. The devil sound that puppy made, and her reaction to it, were seriously funny.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I love The Good Place gag reels. This one is no exception.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shooting is wrapping up this week.

• Options
    Good piece with Mike Schur about how being exposed to all kinds of philosophical concepts ultimately changed the message of the show. (No season four spoilers -- in fact many of you probably already noticed what he's talking about based on what happened in season three.)

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Season 3 is on Netflix now, by the way.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That chidi one is mean

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Rewatching Season 1 and picking up on all the foreshadowing is so much fun.
    In the very first episode, Eleanor is talking to Chidi about her parents and says "They were both crummy people, so they’re probably in the Bad Place. Maybe they’re being used to torture each other. It would work!"

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jeremy Berimy, baby. We've got this.

/Uncontrolled sobbing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Just finished S3.

Hearing that S4 is going to be the last one, I've never been so unprepared for a show to end. What a perfect delight this entire thing has been. I understand why there's so little of it, but I can't help but feel a sense of sadness knowing that something so good was allowed to exist in this world, for such a short time.

It's just...wholesome. I'm going to miss everything about it.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Apparently my partner is scared to watch S3 now because of how hard I was sniffle-crying at the end, LOL.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    This show has been the perfect example of why I both love and hate the idea of a show going "X number of season and we're done because this is the story we want to tell"

Love more than hate because I do think it's best that way but on the other hand Grey's Anatomy somehow still shambles on and The Good Place is ending and something just seems somehow fundamentally wrong about that.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    This show has been the perfect example of why I both love and hate the idea of a show going "X number of season and we're done because this is the story we want to tell"

Love more than hate because I do think it's best that way but on the other hand Grey's Anatomy somehow still shambles on and The Good Place is ending and something just seems somehow fundamentally wrong about that.

No but these actors, writers and everyone else involved goes on to make new stuff. It's not like they're going in a shredder after this. Take Community, for example: Donald Glover went on to make Atlanta (and as Childish Gambino has released fantastic records) and I don't think he would do that if Community went on for 20 seasons.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

No but these actors, writers and everyone else involved goes on to make new stuff. It's not like they're going in a shredder after this. Take Community, for example: Donald Glover went on to make Atlanta (and as Childish Gambino has released fantastic records) and I don't think he would do that if Community went on for 20 seasons.

The problem is that few things in my life have been funnier than watching Troy Barnes cry for some reason so even though he's kept doing shit it's still been worse than if he was still crying and jumping on that trampoline.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't matter that the actors etc etc aren't vanishing. The show is what people like, there's no promise what they do next will be as good. In my experience, in fact, I can't think of a single example of <new thing> being as good <old thing> they do. May be forgetting something, but it's going to be the exception for sure. If nothing else it's practically impossible these actors will be together again. And they if they are it's obviously different characters etc etc.

• Options
    If nothing else it means we will get another Mike Schur universe to play in.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    It's definitely bottled lightning. A writer, two known talented actors, four breakouts, and a supposrting cast of awesome.

The way I see it (cause I need to find the silver lining), is that while likely no show these people move to will be THIS great , hopefully they elevate a half dozen shows to good.

And the body of work (assuming Schur sticks the landing*), will still remain, and I can keep going back to it.

* I have faith, but I'll be so mad if he fucks it up.

MorganV on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't matter that the actors etc etc aren't vanishing. The show is what people like, there's no promise what they do next will be as good. In my experience, in fact, I can't think of a single example of <new thing> being as good <old thing> they do. May be forgetting something, but it's going to be the exception for sure. If nothing else it's practically impossible these actors will be together again. And they if they are it's obviously different characters etc etc.

Fair enough, but Michael Schur might be a good example: I loved Parks & Rec... and then he made this show.

• Options
    The last three shows Schur had a significant hand in creating were this, Brooklyn 99, and Parks and Rec. It's not really lightning in a bottle anymore, it's just that guy is good at putting a staff together that makes a great show.

• Options
    I just looked up what Schur's doing next after this, and holy shit:
    According to Deadline, NBC has given a series order to Sunnyside, the new comedy project co-written by and starring Kal Penn alongside executive producer Mike Schur—a.k.a. the guy from The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine who played Mose on The Office. When the pilot got picked up at the beginning of the year, we explained that the show is about a former New York City Councilman (Penn) who meets up with a group of recent immigrants who need his help securing “the American Dream.” We now know that he’s actually a disgraced city councilman whose life and career have fallen apart after a public intoxication scandal. The Deadline story says that the producers have “assembled a cast of predominantly immigrant actors,” which is, unsurprisingly, a “rarity on broadcast TV.”

I mean, I was going to watch his next show regardless, but my head's exploding with the thoughts of what he could do with this.

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever been entertained by Penn.

• Options
    According to Deadline, NBC has given a series order to Sunnyside, the new comedy project co-written by and starring Kal Penn alongside executive producer Mike Schur—a.k.a. the guy from The Good Place and Brooklyn Nine-Nine who played Mose on The Office. When the pilot got picked up at the beginning of the year, we explained that the show is about a former New York City Councilman (Penn) who meets up with a group of recent immigrants who need his help securing “the American Dream.” We now know that he’s actually a disgraced city councilman whose life and career have fallen apart after a public intoxication scandal. The Deadline story says that the producers have “assembled a cast of predominantly immigrant actors,” which is, unsurprisingly, a “rarity on broadcast TV.”

I mean, I was going to watch his next show regardless, but my head's exploding with the thoughts of what he could do with this.

Basically all Schur shows are effortlessly diverse. There's a story I can't quite remember the details of but I think it was Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz showing up for the table read of the Brooklyn 99 pilot and assuming one of them would be written out because there would never be two Latina characters on the same network show.

Schur gives a lot of the credit to that to the casting director he prefers, Allison Jones. Who he says they give her "ideal" characteristics that they think will be hard to find and then she goes out and finds them. Like "Incredibly tall, beautiful woman of Indian or Pakistani descent with a British accent who can also be very funny" (with only the last thing really being a requirement). And then she goes and finds Jameela Jamil.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Apparently my partner is scared to watch S3 now because of how hard I was sniffle-crying at the end, LOL.

That scene with the theater screen recap of Chidi and Eleanor is so emotional, but only if you have all the context. If you just read the script with no context it doesn't seem like it would work at all.

• Options

Basically all Schur shows are effortlessly diverse. There's a story I can't quite remember the details of but I think it was Melissa Fumero and Stephanie Beatriz showing up for the table read of the Brooklyn 99 pilot and assuming one of them would be written out because there would never be two Latina characters on the same network show.

Schur gives a lot of the credit to that to the casting director he prefers, Allison Jones. Who he says they give her "ideal" characteristics that they think will be hard to find and then she goes out and finds them. Like "Incredibly tall, beautiful woman of Indian or Pakistani descent with a British accent who can also be very funny" (with only the last thing really being a requirement). And then she goes and finds Jameela Jamil.

That's from the Good Place podcast special episodes. Fumero and Beatriz actually plotted to style their hair dramatically differently for the first executive table read to try and make themselves look different because they assumed they wouldn't hire two Latinx cast members.

• Options
    OK, so if
    Chidi + Eleanor is probably endgame, and Jason + Janet certainly seems to be what the writers have settled on...I wonder if they're considering Tahani + Simone?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been entertained by Penn.

Prefer Teller?

• Options
    OK, so if
    Chidi + Eleanor is probably endgame, and Jason + Janet certainly seems to be what the writers have settled on...I wonder if they're considering Tahani + Simone?

Honestly, I'd be OK if...
    Tahani ends up with noone.

She comes to terms with her fucked up family, and what having her worth be tied up in how others see her, and realizes that she doesn't need to be validated by someone else's approval.

Cause honestly, I'm tired of "The only way to have a happy ending, is to be with someone.". We're already going to have two (well, depending on how you define Jason/Janet) traditional relationships that "may" end up that way. I say "may", because the one thing that TGP through three seasons has taught me, DON'T EVER THINK SHIT WILL GO THE WAY YOU EXPECT. My mind is still reeling from some of the non-typical choices Schur has made.

Anyway, as long as she's not alone, she doesn't have to be lonely.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    OK, so if
    I’m pretty sure Tahani has always been portrayed as heterosexual and dating men. I think it’s more likely that she would either learn to be comfortable and alone, or marry Larry Hemsworth

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    OK, so if

Honestly, I'd be OK if...
    Tahani ends up with noone.

She comes to terms with her fucked up family, and what having her worth be tied up in how others see her, and realizes that she doesn't need to be validated by someone else's approval.

Cause honestly, I'm tired of "The only way to have a happy ending, is to be with someone.". We're already going to have two (well, depending on how you define Jason/Janet) traditional relationships that "may" end up that way. I say "may", because the one thing that TGP through three seasons has taught me, DON'T EVER THINK SHIT WILL GO THE WAY YOU EXPECT. My mind is still reeling from some of the non-typical choices Schur has made.

Anyway, as long as she's not alone, she doesn't have to be lonely.

I'd be super OK with this too, I'm just coming at this from the angle that, for all its unique qualities, The Good Place is still a network sitcom, and main characters tend to be coupled off by the end of those.

But, like you, I'm tired of that being mandatory, so maybe this is another area Schur will delight me.

• Options
    Schur is a treasure and I really trust him to stick the landing.

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Stick it? Almost a-Schur-edly. (Yeah yeah, I welcome your boos!)

Upend expectations in doing so? Even more likely.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular

But if you expect him to upend your expectations then how can he upend your expectations!?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Another prediction:
    Chidi is the one who figures out they're not in the good place.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

But if you expect him to upend your expectations then how can he upend your expectations!?

By doing exactly what everybody expects, which is to subvert expectations... wait. My stomach hurts.