As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    it should activate. If it doesn't, call Microsoft support. At worst, you might have to talk to a person and tell them that you're taking a windows install from one PC to another, and they should get it activated for you.

I have literally never heard of Microsoft not activating a Windows 10 install for someone.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    well there was the one time I was trying to do an upgrade from 7 to 10 and it turned out the 7 key was from a batch of stolen multiple-use keys that had been blacklisted
    at least that's my best guess for why that never worked

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm going to have to bung Win10 on my mum's Win7 machine one of these days. It's a second-hand ex-corporate laptop, so that should be a pretty good indication that the key is legit. I know it'll need Win10 Pro to match up with its existing Win7 Pro (which in turn makes me slightly envious with my Win10 Home) but I don't anticipate too many problems. Apart from it being really slow to do it. It's not a fast machine...

I could chuck a small-ish SSD in it too, that might give it a healthy boost for cheap. Probably best to do that first, install Win10 on it, then copy everything over from the old HDD via a USB enclosure.

Although that might not work since it's upgrading an existing key... hmm.

Jazz on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It'll work fine as long as you don't connect the old drive until you get to the desktop.

• BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Yeah I've got the windows.. key/licence fir the second machine so it should be fine. I'm just wanting it to run as a minecraft server for now

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm going to have to bung Win10 on my mum's Win7 machine one of these days. It's a second-hand ex-corporate laptop, so that should be a pretty good indication that the key is legit. I know it'll need Win10 Pro to match up with its existing Win7 Pro (which in turn makes me slightly envious with my Win10 Home) but I don't anticipate too many problems. Apart from it being really slow to do it. It's not a fast machine...

I could chuck a small-ish SSD in it too, that might give it a healthy boost for cheap. Probably best to do that first, install Win10 on it, then copy everything over from the old HDD via a USB enclosure.

Although that might not work since it's upgrading an existing key... hmm.

honestly, your best bet might be to buy a SSD, use the tool that often comes with the SSD to clone the drive, then stick the SSD into the laptop and then do the upgrade to Win10. That probably has the fewest steps and the easiest path. It also leaves you with a complete untouched backup of the system before any of this work gets done with a working Windows 7 install on the hard drive.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Here's a shot in the dark: anyone in the Windows 10 preview/testing rings (or whatever they're called now) had a chance to try out the new Your Phone app? Apparently for the last month or so, the very very front testing ring for updates has access to the latest version of the app, which now does all the "Virtoo standard" stuff we see in Dell Mobile Connect and the other Virtoo knock-offs: notifications and phone mirroring for Android, in addition to picture and text sharing, which was already a thing.

I'm kind of impatient for this myself. I remember using Your Phone when it initially launched, though it was intentionally behind Dell Mobile Connect (probably the most complex version of Virtoo), which ended up having its own issues (on top of only working on Dell machines). Right now I'm using the last version of Virtoo 2, which works, and does a lot of things, but has not been updated and is very rough around the edges. If Your Phone would hurry up and update to more or less match functionality (one thing Virtoo also does is let you send basic commands from your phone to your PC, which I suspect isn't even considered on Your Phone), I'd switch over quickly.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Does Your phone allow MMS/images from the phone to be displayed on the PC?

The only thing AirDroid lacks for me I wish they'd do.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Does Your phone allow MMS/images from the phone to be displayed on the PC?

The only thing AirDroid lacks for me I wish they'd do.

I had to look this up: yes, apparently, because otherwise there wouldn't be an option to turn it off.

Or at least, the most recent version does. Camera roll and text sharing were the first and second Your Phone features respectively, so it's possible those are old features--but I almost never send photos via texting. I don't know if Virtoo lets you do it either.

Of course, with screen mirroring you could just bring up the the actual phone's screen, but that's a lot more sluggish.

Tinfoil hat and all, but does Your Phone/Virtoo open up all your phone's data to MS?

I know Google already has all the data if you're Android, and any messaging app companies have that related info.

It seems logical if you're using an app to operate parts of your phone that it would require access to the data (and offloading/copying parts of it to the web)

Bah, that page says it doesn't support photos/videos, just group messages.

So no help there. Wonder why they all do not.

edited July 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Tinfoil hat and all, but does Your Phone/Virtoo open up all your phone's data to MS?

I know Google already has all the data if you're Android, and any messaging app companies have that related info.

It seems logical if you're using an app to operate parts of your phone that it would require access to the data (and offloading/copying parts of it to the web)

Virtoo is not owned by Microsoft, or even formally supported by them (given its age). And unlike Dell's app, it's not obtained through the Windows 10 store.

On the other hand, Your Phone has literally become a "core" app inside of Windows 10.

You can probably be the judge of that. I mean, I'm pretty cynical about the topic, and between Google (since I use Android) and the United States government, I'm not really all that worried about Microsoft. Honestly, that's probably a good argument against Virtoo, which after being copied by Dell, LG, and a few other companies, basically stopped being formally supported and hasn't been updated in a year (I think), security wise.

Synthesis on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    yay my windows is not getting activated on the new pc, hooray.
    i have win10pro from the free upgrade from Win7 home premium that i had bought BOXED some time ago.

I do the troubleshooter app, pick my "old" pc, and it just says it didn't work, try again later.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

so annoying

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    W10 has to match the W7 you have. You must have W10 Home.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Weird problem, Win10:

The taskbar and start menu on my main display will not respond to mouse clicks (works with keyboard inputs). The taskbar and start menu on my secondary display does.

If there is an open program on my main display, the taskbar and start menu will then respond to mouse clicks until they close.

I'm gonna try a few things but if anyones seen this shit pls let me know.

Edit: Switching which is my main and which is my secondary also switches which tarkbar and start menu works with the mouse, so it's somehow tied to the main display.

jungleroomx on
    If you change the Taskbar settings to only show on one display, does it still act wonky depending on which monitor is the main display?

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If you change the Taskbar settings to only show on one display, does it still act wonky depending on which monitor is the main display?

It did.

I ran SFC and rebooted and it seems to be okay now.

Fucking weird, Windows. Don't start acting all wonky n shit now.

I'm probably going way too far off the deep end on this, but if I buy a NVMe drive and want to clone my Windows drive over, what's a good way to do it? I was considering throwing Ubuntu on a USB stick and using that to copy the drives (plus it gives me a reason to dabble a bit into Linux). Would that not be a true clone? I assume there's drive cloning software I can add to Ubuntu that would do the job.

I feel like this would be faster than, say, adding both drives to a secondary computer via USB and using cloning tools. Especially because I'll need to pick up a USB adapter for the NVMe drive.

if you buy a retail drive, most of them come with software that will clone the drive for you. The Samsung one especially is like, 4 mouse clicks.

edited August 2019
    True, but you can't clone a Windows drive if you're in Windows at the time. Unless I'm missing something silly.

Edit: it looks like I can use Macrium Reflect to do this while Windows is running, so never mind I guess.

Mugsley on
    True, but you can't clone a Windows drive if you're in Windows at the time. Unless I'm missing something silly.

Edit: it looks like I can use Macrium Reflect to do this while Windows is running, so never mind I guess.

yea, that problem was solved a long time ago. any good tool just works, and again usually comes with most SSD's now.

wunderbar wrote: »

yea, that problem was solved a long time ago. any good tool just works, and again usually comes with most SSD's now.

Yeah the Samsung clone tool works as well. I'm actually about to do that, moving my 256gb SSD boot to a 500GB NVME boot.

As soon as I get done making a Windows 10 USB at my work computer because like an idiot I didn't do it at home, and I'll be damned if I'm swapping all that hardware back out

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Had one of the big number updates bug me for getting installed, and now I've been having overnight reboots. Assuming it's just catching up on whatever needed the big update first, haven't cared enough to dig into logs and check.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt

Just to heap onto the chorus, AOMEI has been doing this for years. Though there are probably simpler, more direct tools out there now.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Had one of the big number updates bug me for getting installed, and now I've been having overnight reboots. Assuming it's just catching up on whatever needed the big update first, haven't cared enough to dig into logs and check.

I don't know what you're seeing, but this morning my system was telling me it needed a reboot to install some update.

NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I don't know what you're seeing, but this morning my system was telling me it needed a reboot to install some update.

yes, this week was patch tuesday, so there would have been an update.

Hope they fix the accent color not sticking to the color you pick. At least mine keeps reverting to dark red from dark grey.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So I have a secondary HDD that has my wallpapers on it. The thing is, Windows keeps putting said drive into sleep mode. I can tell because my computer pauses and reacts whenever my wallpaper changes. Similarly, if I open a folder on that drive it takes a second for the drive to spin back up and wake up.

Is there an option I can set to tell Windows to not put that drive into power save mode or whatever? It's a brand new drive so I don't think it's having any issues.

Power & Sleep settings, sleep never should do it. If you want to fine tune it 'additional power settings' and tinker with the plan settings.

Under Power Options select Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

The first option in the window is Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) XX

I never touched mine and default looks like 20 minutes.

edited August 2019
    Under Power Options select Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings.

The first option in the window is Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after > Setting (Minutes) XX

I never touched mine and default looks like 20 minutes.

I've changed that from 20 to 60. Still getting a ton of lag when my wallpaper auto changes. No more stuttering when opening folders, though.

Looking into it, it might be some kind of corruption. I've turned off "automatically choose accent colors," guess I'll see if that does it.

KiTA on
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Did a recent windows update push out an install of microsoft teams? On startup this teams program launches, and it seems to reinstall itself every time I uninstall it from the control panel.

That doesn't sound right to me... even if it's not malware.

No, there is no teams install included in windows. If you have office 365 maybe, especially a commercial/work version.

But no, Teams is part of the office suite, not windows.

No, there is no teams install included in windows. If you have office 365 maybe, especially a commercial/work version.

Huh I have a university office 365 email I get to keep as an alumni, and it allows me installs for office 365. Which I use on my PC. Maybe updates to office now includes this teams program. Well off to research how to disable that.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Huh I have a university office 365 email I get to keep as an alumni, and it allows me installs for office 365. Which I use on my PC. Maybe updates to office now includes this teams program. Well off to research how to disable that.

You can just tell it to not launch on startup.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Looked through the control panel uninstall list and found a "Teams Machine-Wide Installer". Removed that and Microsoft Teams also uninstalled. Rebooted and it's gone for good now.

Looked through the control panel uninstall list and found a "Teams Machine-Wide Installer". Removed that and Microsoft Teams also uninstalled. Rebooted and it's gone for good now.

https://www.itninja.com/question/microsoft-teams-install-automatically-even-after-uninstall

So yeah, Microsoft is literally installing apps to force reinstall Teams if you try and get rid of it? That's amazing. Guess they're really desperate to try and shove their way into Slack's market, heh

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Reminds of the old MS antitrust case, which IIRC was about bundling IE with windows and the way they sabotaged the process of switching to using other browsers.

BahamutZERO.gif