As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Takin' out the trash to replace it with... whoops.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I mean, I get the idea there, but realistically if there was any major rise in the PPC replies to the polling that may encourage the Cons to push even harder towards far-right policies to stop them from eating their lunch

Much like I'd expect the Liberals to do if they saw rising NDP polls

It seems like a dangerous game

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Well, rip Thunder Bay.

Bombardier cutting half the workforce at the plant (550 workers being laid off), as they have no more contracts after their current slate ends.

Wish my uncle hadn't retired or I might know whether management's partially at fault here, but in the past they've typically ensured enough future work in the pipeline to head off these kinds of situations. But then, we've also got the Ford Government immediately yelling at the Federal Government for not having infrastructure spending in place to be able to provide contracts to places like Bombardier, so who the fuck knows.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well, rip Thunder Bay.

Bombardier cutting half the workforce at the plant (550 workers being laid off), as they have no more contracts after their current slate ends.

Wish my uncle hadn't retired or I might know whether management's partially at fault here, but in the past they've typically ensured enough future work in the pipeline to head off these kinds of situations. But then, we've also got the Ford Government immediately yelling at the Federal Government for not having infrastructure spending in place to be able to provide contracts to places like Bombardier, so who the fuck knows.

It's awesome when Dougie get's mad at people not spending money...

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well, rip Thunder Bay.

If only TTC had a plan for a transit expansion at any point in the last decade...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well, Bombardier delayed delivery of our street cars by 2? years and apparently that was initially at the thunder bay plant

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well, Bombardier delayed delivery of our street cars by 2? years and apparently that was initially at the thunder bay plant

Yeah, Bombardier fucking up our train deliveries became something of a meme a couple of years ago. I can't imagine that did they any good with respect to obtaining new business.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    They also lost the several contracts in the Lower Mainland area according to industry scuttlebutt because they assumed since they supplied the existing system and trains they would automatically get all future work and then submitted proposals costing double the next most expensive. They were seen as using the interoperability of the new trains with the old systems as an in to gouge Translink because of the more complex maintenance and reduced flexibility from going with multiple suppliers.

Turns out they were wrong.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I’m just glad their recreational products division split off as I actually like those

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Whenever I hear about Bombardier, its always that the government has bailed them out, or is partially subsidizing their operations. Is this company even profitable?

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Bombardier has some troubles. I don't really believe in corporate bailouts, and I hope they don't get any more.

But at the same time I hope that someone buys them for dirt cheap and runs them properly this time...

El Skid on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Isn't the controlling family a bunch of dickheads who will never give up control?

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So my parents were brainwashed by the MSM news into the "Trudeau sucks, vote him out at any cost" mindset. I'd like to break them out of it, but they just dismiss anything I say as Trudeaumania hysteria. I've sent them news links in the past on how horrible Conservatives are, but they dismiss those as fake news. So, I need something stronger. A solid analysis from a good source about Ford, Kenney, Scheer, and the others, pointing out their ties to neo-nazi groups and the consequences of their horrible policies, that they can't overlook. Is there something like that available?

sig.gif
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So my parents were brainwashed by the MSM news into the "Trudeau sucks, vote him out at any cost" mindset. I'd like to break them out of it, but they just dismiss anything I say as Trudeaumania hysteria. I've sent them news links in the past on how horrible Conservatives are, but they dismiss those as fake news. So, I need something stronger. A solid analysis from a good source about Ford, Kenney, Scheer, and the others, pointing out their ties to neo-nazi groups and the consequences of their horrible policies, that they can't overlook. Is there something like that available?

until the cons do something that affects them directly or someone they know and live directly good luck getting them off the Trudeau hate train. I am very glad that my oil patch raised, PC campaigning dad has gotten more and more progressive over the years.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

Honestly, I can't think of anything that can't just be waved away as "fake news" for those that are actually in the deep end like that. Any source, even ones that they've previously accepted (usually for praising Conservative things), can just be ignored as fake news.

• Options
    The best you can hope for is to keep sending them articles of the CPC being crap and while they may never admit it they will hopefully stop being so vocal which then allows them some introspection

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Harper completely ignored the missing first nations women epidemic for 8 years, no conservative government since Thatcher or reagan have reduced the debt there so obsessed with in fact they are the biggest cause of its increase.

Harper muzzled scientist and shut down arctic research stations, Iraq and Afghanistan, prorogued parliament twice, once to not release the Afghan detainee report that confirmed torture and again to not lose power to a coalition in the most undemocrtic move I've ever witnesed. Also complicent in the United States use of torture.

Walkerton was because of conservatives love of deregulation and deriving profit from human rights services. The g20 police response, the shit ass crime bill, Ontario's power was the cons privatising it, they want private healthcare.

I could go on but I doubt you want to hear how as a colonial nation under captialism only wealth generation and work towards that is valued even if it's only for the 1 percent.

Oh ford cancelling the carbon tax then losing a bunch lawsuits while banging on bout the debt, Harper's Phoenix pay system and question whether or not we actually got any societal benefit out of the oil boom.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Harper completely ignored the missing first nations women epidemic for 8 years, no conservative government since Thatcher or reagan have reduced the debt there so obsessed with in fact they are the biggest cause of its increase.

Harper muzzled scientist and shut down arctic research stations, Iraq and Afghanistan, prorogued parliament twice, once to not release the Afghan detainee report that confirmed torture and again to not lose power to a coalition in the most undemocrtic move I've ever witnesed. Also complicent in the United States use of torture.

Walkerton was because of conservatives love of deregulation and deriving profit from human rights services. The g20 police response, the shit ass crime bill, Ontario's power was the cons privatising it, they want private healthcare.

I could go on but I doubt you want to hear how as a colonial nation under captialism only wealth generation and work towards that is valued even if it's only for the 1 percent.

Oh ford cancelling the carbon tax then losing a bunch lawsuits while banging on bout the debt, Harper's Phoenix pay system and question whether or not we actually got any societal benefit out of the oil boom.

I would note that just saying this stuff doesn't change minds. You need hard, detailed, corroborated sources — which no one is interested in reading and everyone is eager to dismiss, so you also need to stand over people while they read it and force them to read the whole thing.

Just imagine how your family member could force you to read something from Fox or whatever, and how challenging that would be. It doesn't matter that conservative shill reporting isn't equivalent to good, solid reporting; it matters that it's easy to perceive it that way. Your family members will see good reporting the same way that you see some tawdry, biased editorial from the Sun.

You have to be a relentless, conversation-killing asshole, and you have to be willing to say "let's all shut up for a bit and look up the actual, corroborated facts," and probably be willing to reconvene after research and force the topic to come up again. And even then it may not accomplish anything, because persuading people is very difficult.

• Options
  • Options

I would note that just saying this stuff doesn't change minds. You need hard, detailed, corroborated sources — which no one is interested in reading and everyone is eager to dismiss, so you also need to stand over people while they read it and force them to read the whole thing.

Just imagine how your family member could force you to read something from Fox or whatever, and how challenging that would be. It doesn't matter that conservative shill reporting isn't equivalent to good, solid reporting; it matters that it's easy to perceive it that way. Your family members will see good reporting the same way that you see some tawdry, biased editorial from the Sun.

You have to be a relentless, conversation-killing asshole, and you have to be willing to say "let's all shut up for a bit and look up the actual, corroborated facts," and probably be willing to reconvene after research and force the topic to come up again. And even then it may not accomplish anything, because persuading people is very difficult.

Human beings like nothing more than to be told they are right or have their biases confirmed.

The right pretty much builds their entire election strategy on this .

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

If your parents tv has parental controls, use them lock out the worst of it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I just fired up Twitter this morning and on the right bar, it says #TrudeauMustGo is trending. Did something happen or is the Conservative spin machine kicking it into high gear?

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    That sounds about right <sigh>

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    He condemned Trump over an especially racist comment. It was basically a combination of that, and "Being Justin Trudeau on a day ending in Y".

• Options
    He condemned Trump over an especially racist comment. It was basically a combination of that, and "Being Justin Trudeau on a day ending in Y".

I hate to say it and it may be the first and last time I will.... . But Sheer was way more on point and direct calling out Trump's racist bullshit.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

I hate to say it and it may be the first and last time I will.... . But Sheer was way more on point and direct calling out Trump's racist bullshit.

Yeah... now let's see him call it out at one of his yellow-vest neo-nazi rallies.

sig.gif
  • Options

Yeah... now let's see him call it out at one of his yellow-vest neo-nazi rallies.

I feel it's a broken clocks scenario..... This is my one exception to my "fuck Sheer on general principal" rule.

I just really hated Trudeau's tepid response.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's nothing to gain, and a lot to lose, for a Canadian PM when it comes to criticizing US presidents. That's why Trudeau had to be tepid there.
    The leader of the Conservatives, when they are not in power, can be as dramatic as they want when they pretend to be outraged: by the time they are the PM, everything will be forgotten.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Are you kidding if Scheer becomes PM there will be shots of him laughing and smiling with Donald Trump

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Are you kidding if Scheer becomes PM there will be shots of him laughing and smiling with Donald Trump

While congratulating him on his making hard decisions.

• Options

No idea what Scheer's response was. I'm just saying, that's why right wingers were attacking Trudeau on Twitter (more than usual).

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

i feel like sometimes the beaverton and the onion can't quite keep up with how stupid reality is

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

i feel like sometimes the beaverton and the onion can't quite keep up with how stupid reality is

I swear the exact same thing just happened in India or Pakistan or something too

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    It totes just happened in Pakistan. Like last week.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I hear when asked for a comment, they replied "Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow. Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow."

• Options
    edited July 2019
    The latest from deAdder. Not necessarily a new take, but certainly worth reminding the general public;
    Spoilered for huge;
    image_laZmT2D_original.jpg

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    The latest from deAdder. Not necessarily a new take, but certainly worth reminding the general public;
    Spoilered for huge;
    image_laZmT2D_original.jpg

He's been knocking it out of the park for a while now.

• Options
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-proposed-arena-deal-1.5221185

all this while they are putting the Green line transit on hold for "economic concerns" (spearheaded by a NIMBY oil billionaire FYI) , cutting business taxes and putting through a slash and burn budget...

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

all this while they are putting the Green line transit on hold for "economic concerns" (spearheaded by a NIMBY oil billionaire FYI) , cutting business taxes and putting through a slash and burn budget...

As far as arena deals, that doesn't seem awful? Granted, it's not as good as having the Flames build their damn building themselves, but I suppose it could have been worse? It also depends on how much teeth that clause to keep the Flames from moving for the next 35 years actually has. Moving the team if they don't get what they want is usually the bluff that the owners of these teams keep playing if they get bored with their arena in about 20 years.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    quovadis13 wrote: »

As far as arena deals, that doesn't seem awful? Granted, it's not as good as having the Flames build their damn building themselves, but I suppose it could have been worse? It also depends on how much teeth that clause to keep the Flames from moving for the next 35 years actually has. Moving the team if they don't get what they want is usually the bluff that the owners of these teams keep playing if they get bored with their arena in about 20 years.

Or we could not finance multi billionaires?

Not as bad as it could have been is pretty much everyone take and it's mind boggling. How about nothing? They want to put our green line on hold for lacks of funds but suddenly we can finance Ken King the billionaire ? Average price for flames tickets are just sub 100$ and out of the reach of most people that live here?

Edit: Not trying to sound like an ass I just really don't understand anyone who wants this... Pro sports are a scam and they keep fleecing the cities for free $$$

Disco11 on
This discussion has been closed.