As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Thoughtful gift ideas for friend going to pax west

kebarretkebarret Registered User new member
edited July 2019 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a friend that kinda means the world to me. She's headed up to see acquisitions Incorporated Sunday.

I don't actually know much about Pax, but her birthday is beforehand, so my idea is to get her something special to add to her experience at Pax.

She's 24 and obsessed with DnD edition 2 and 5. A bit goth and emo. Listens to my chemical romance sort of thing. Please let me know your ideas. Doesn't have to be gifts. Experiences are great, too.

I'd Especially like to know if it's worth getting her a chance to get autographs from the players or if that's even going to be a thing.

kebarret on

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If she doesn’t already have it, there is s brand new D&D sourcebook straight from Acquisitions Incorporated available:

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/acqinc

It’d be a cool thing to have for getting signed for sure. They usually do a time for autographs with many different people. Lines can be rough, but all part of the experience too.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do you have a budget in mind?

The PA D&D book is a good idea if she doesn't have it already.
    Other than that, I've never known an RPG player to not be thrilled at getting a new set of dice, dice bag or other dice related accouterments.

Does she follow the Acq Inc streams? There are a couple of pins on the PA store that she might be interested in, like the Green Flame or the Shadow Council pins.

• kebarretkebarret Registered User new member
    see317 wrote: »
    Do you have a budget in mind?

The PA D&D book is a good idea if she doesn't have it already.
    Other than that, I've never known an RPG player to not be thrilled at getting a new set of dice, dice bag or other dice related accouterments.

Does she follow the Acq Inc streams? There are a couple of pins on the PA store that she might be interested in, like the Green Flame or the Shadow Council pins.

Thanks, I looked into the book. My budget is about 60. She isn't the DM and her DnD group is playing 2ed. Will that matter or does the book have standalone value?

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You can get nice out-of-print 2nd ed sourcebooks on eBay. Ravenloft is the gothic 2nd Ed D&D setting.

Gothic dice might be nice for a gothic girl who plays D&D.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oh wow, looking at Planescape 2nd ed D&D prices on eBay I just realized I have a basement with about $1,000 worth of it. :o

CelestialBadger on
    The AcqInc book is designed for 5e, but it is a lot of fluff rather than being crunch heavy, so it should be able to be used with 2e with a little conversion. That said, it may not be worth it if she's not the DM and her group is happy with 2e.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Maybe get her a nice dice set

Something metal and a bit different, most people generally got their brick (or pound) of dice and maybe one complete set of dice, but It's generally not something most people splurge on.

You could get her 1 of these
    71RoSB%2BPgnL._SL1470_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Bescon-Antique-Copper-Polyhedral-Playing/dp/B07B4C7XHS/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?m=A10XOBRQI4LSKU&pd_rd_i=B07B4C7XHS&pd_rd_r=5c9cca2d-ab34-4291-bbbb-f593f1ec9a1d&pd_rd_w=ZqG3s&pd_rd_wg=dlm28&pf_rd_p=a6d018ad-f20b-46c9-8920-433972c7d9b7&pf_rd_r=NHC07JQANE6CZ3CM9MTC&qid=1563802604&s=merchant-items

Actually that looks pretty rad, I might buy a set for myself.

zepherin on
    Metal dice are cool, but if you go that route make sure you get some kind of dice tray to go with them as they can mess up the finish on a nice table.