As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Cataclysm

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Cataclysm

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• desrdesr Registered User regular
    3681pq.jpg

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I will not stand for this blatant anti-Cats propaganda!

• ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, I spend time on the internet where lots of weirdos hang out. All movies have their critics and people who don't like it. But I know people who are fetishistically drawn to cat people. I've seen those people cringing at this CATS movie.

If someone's pants parts get hard and/or moist at the thought of (type of character here) and you make (that type of character), and those aforementioned people go "ehhhhhh" when they see the faces of your characters, that's how you know you hit the uncanny valley RIGHT in the trough.

Zomagic on
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    You laugh now, but 82 years in the future, they will start an intergalactic war.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • darthewokdarthewok Registered User regular
    I'm down to build this if you guys are.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As foretold in Zero Wing, CATS will be coming for our bases in retribution.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NobodeyNobodey Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I actually like musicals, but one I have not seen is Cats. I have, however, been subject to the commercials for it that were run on television in the 90's.
    They were always creepy. It was always weird. All the things people are complaining about (the weird tail, cats with breasts, etc?) were all part of the original. (Obviously except the cgi). This means the trailer's creepiness is a matter of accuracy.
    Heck, if anything, the trailer made this movie look for more compelling than those commercials ever did.

Nobodey on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    You laugh now, but 82 years in the future, they will start an intergalactic war.

lqexsnccvkh5.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I know we don't give Tinseltown much credit, but I feel like...I don't know, like they would realize we weren't joking before the last brick.

Probably halfway through, at the latest.

5lc5eoejeeo3.jpg

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If by Weird you mean sexy. Then yes.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I know we don't give Tinseltown much credit, but I feel like...I don't know, like they would realize we weren't joking before the last brick.

Probably halfway through, at the latest.

5lc5eoejeeo3.jpg

I think if you told them it was a remake of The Truman Show no one would object until it was done.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I thought Cats was LSD nightmare fuel waaaaay before it was cool

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I guess people who didn't know about Cats from way back might be surprised at how freaky they are. If anything the stage performers were even weirder looking.

But if you told me 'man, the cat-people from Cats look weird' I'd be like 'well yeah, it's Cats.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I guess people who didn't know about Cats from way back might be surprised at how freaky they are. If anything the stage performers were even weirder looking.

But if you told me 'man, the cat-people from Cats look weird' I'd be like 'well yeah, it's Cats.'

But with the stage actors you can tell it's a person in makeup and a costume; very good makeup and costumes but still a person.

With that trailer, I can't tell what those things are. Just too freaky and naked.

• kjordan2001kjordan2001 Registered User new member
    edited July 2019
    If it doesn't have Greg Catnear, I definitely don't want to see it.

Kimmy-Schmidt-1-1024x563.png

kjordan2001 on
  • KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    well my mother will want to see it, so I'll let you all know how it turns out. :)

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    At least with the stage play, the costumes make a bit of sense. You know they can't easily make a person look exactly like a cat without maybe putting on a full furry suit and mask, and it wouldn't look half as good, or allow them to pull off those big dance moves, if the costumes were overly detailed. So they make the performers look like semi-cat people, and ask you to meet them halfway and use your imagination to picture them as actual cats.

Taking the stage looks and trying to make them look like realistic cat people just comes off as bizarre, and its not helped by their insistence that the cat people also have the exact same faces as the actor's portraying them. Because they paid good money to make Taylor Swift a curiously attractive cat woman, and dammit they're gonna use her.

I wonder if they should have done what was done in Avatar, where the CGI characters only vaguely resembled the actors playing them, and they looked like unique alien creatures, instead of these things with famous people's faces badly slapped on them.

Though even if the CGI was top notch, I still wouldn't watch this thing because of James Corden. He is not an actor, stop putting him in movies.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    IDK... the only cat that looked weird or off is the main character's, which feels like they just did a cartoony kinda white paint fill filter on her face... while the other ones look like faces with variations in shades and all.

Like... this:
    9uhlp580bjap.png

VS:

ju9o6djkiad4.png

So weird. Having not seen the musical, it would be something that I may VOD out of curiousity. But they really need to do something about the lead's cat face. It seems so lazy compared to the other cats.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, Pauly Shore and Stephen Baldwin were the only ones who seemed to thrive after the dome...

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    He’s pulling a Hawkeye (M*A*S*H, not Marvel) with the selective memory. That was no dog or rat. That was what will henceforth be spoken of in Hollywood, in hushed tones, as the last child.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Think of how naïve we were when the Sonic trailer came out with just one cgi abomination.

YL9WnCY.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    IDK... the only cat that looked weird or off is the main character's, which feels like they just did a cartoony kinda white paint fill filter on her face... while the other ones look like faces with variations in shades and all.

Like... this:
    9uhlp580bjap.png

VS:

ju9o6djkiad4.png

So weird. Having not seen the musical, it would be something that I may VOD out of curiousity. But they really need to do something about the lead's cat face. It seems so lazy compared to the other cats.

One thing to keep in mind: trailers are often cut before the CG is finished. It's possible this is simply from a different pass than the others.

• deadtoridedeadtoride Registered User regular
    Mm. Crisp Rat.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kimmy-Schmidt-1-1024x563.png

That's it! That's what was freaky to me about stage Cats - all the wild, spiky, frizzy wigs.

The movie Cats don't really seem to have that. Nowhere near as much as the stage Cats do anyway. So I guess it balances out with the CG effects to be just sort've the same.

H9f4bVe.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

Like... this:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/5i/9uhlp580bjap.png

VS:

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/w0/ju9o6djkiad4.png

One thing to keep in mind: trailers are often cut before the CG is finished. It's possible this is simply from a different pass than the others.

Yeah, hopefully that's the issue because her face just feels unnatural compared to the others... if that's even possible. Like Superman's upper lip in motion offish.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    All I can come up with is that this is some kind of monetized tech demo.

Like someone in Hollywood suggested using deepfakes to replace actors, someone else put together a proof of concept that wasn't quite there, but the tech was built now and by god they had to recoup some of the cost somehow.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I watched an older version of Cats on TV a while back. Like a really long time ago. Probably 20 years ago or so. Or more.

I didn't hate it. I would say my reaction to it was a combination of fascination, captivation, confusion, and uncertainty.

And anyway, I'm looking forward to the new one. The music in the one I saw on TV was pretty good, and I think that I will enjoy this new version. The CGI cat people are not exactly off-putting to me since I've already seen the older movie version of it.