As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Overwatch] Workshop now included.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Oh is 2-2-2 being forced in QP? Well that'll most likely kill ~75% interest i had in the game. I'll still give it a go every now and then but being able to change on the fly was a big draw for me.

steam_sig.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    Oh is 2-2-2 being forced in QP? Well that'll most likely kill ~75% interest i had in the game. I'll still give it a go every now and then but being able to change on the fly was a big draw for me.
    QP classic will be in the arcade, hopefully permanently.

Coinage wrote: »

True but it's still spitting the player base which is rarely a good thing. Guess we'll see how it's rolled out and what queue times are like. And we'll likely see the samething we saw in QP when comp was introduced in which the go to response to any type of suggestion will be "not only is this QP, its not even 222, so whatever"

steam_sig.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

True but it's still spitting the player base which is rarely a good thing. Guess we'll see how it's rolled out and what queue times are like. And we'll likely see the samething we saw in QP when comp was introduced in which the go to response to any type of suggestion will be "not only is this QP, its not even 222, so whatever"

The fact that you'll be able to earn weekly boxes in QP classic is probably enough motivation by itself to keep up a consistently healthy population, imo

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Eh. I think its just the sacrifice they'll have to make.

Like with hero limits there were some people upset that they couldn't have a meme team with like 4 Torbs anymore but most people would agree it improved the overall health of the game.

And tbh OW is at the point where most of the people left playing are hardcore or semi-hardcore so its probably best to start testing things now before they release OW2 or whatever.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Maybe it will replace the less fun mystery heroes

Still I will have my fun in the current QP with rolling with weird groups like 5 healers and one tank
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ksJKP0jWHw

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I need some more Sigma info, please.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

Out of curiosity, why? The only reason I ever change roles in-game is because nobody is covering those roles. With this system, every role is guaranteed to be covered all game long.

Zek wrote: »

Out of curiosity, why? The only reason I ever change roles in-game is because nobody is covering those roles. With this system, every role is guaranteed to be covered all game long.
    I'm assuming the games where your dps are dumb and you need to just switch to Junkrat

edited July 2019

Sometimes you end up with a DPS that cant aim worth a damn but you're other healer is doing fine so you switch off of moira to actually be able to take out the Pharah.
    Sometimes their healers aren't doing a whole lot so you realize you can push them with more DPS.
    Sometimes they go heavy on the squish but your teammates don't like playing winston.
    Sometimes your moira and bridgette think they're DPS.

Obviously there are ways to cover these in 2-2-2 but the fact that if you notice a deficiency you can possibly help shore it up was nice. LFG was there if people wanted to specifically 2-2-2 things.

I know my typical gut reaction to change is to be all "the end is nigh" so I'm trying not to be so much so in this case. But i think this changes a fundamental aspect about the game design because of how it affected their OWL which i think is a terrible way to adjust games.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png

I'm assuming the games where your dps are dumb and you need to just switch to Junkrat

Ah, well it would be nice to have the ability to swap roles with your teammates, though that doesn't help you with pubs (and in fact a request to swap could be used in a sort of toxic way). But yeah it does mean that your 2 DPSers are very important to the team. If they suck the best you can do is switch to damage-heavy tanks/supports.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Previously, everyone had one MMR/SR, so if a tank main decided to play DPS, they were doing so at their tank level. Now, every role has its own MMR/SR. Sucky DPS will be ranked accordingly with 2-2-2.

BionicPenguin on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I know my typical gut reaction to change is to be all "the end is nigh" so I'm trying not to be so much so in this case. But i think this changes a fundamental aspect about the game design because of how it affected their OWL which i think is a terrible way to adjust games.

While the change did start with OWL, I don't think they would go forward with it if they didn't think it was also good for the health of the game overall (which I definitely agree with).

Previously, everyone had one MMR/SR, so if a tank main decided to play DPS, they were doing so at their tank level. Now, every role has its own MMR/SR. Sucky DPS will be ranked accordingly with 2-2-2.

Oh yeah this also means that swapping roles is never happening, because that's the equivalent of smurfing.

Overall these changes are very strict but make up for it in the way they improve match quality I think. If you like to just play around for fun or practice then Arcade has a bunch of ways to do that. But I'm not gonna lie, that's not as good as having QP cater to your playstyle, so not everybody wins out here. Same as when they implemented hero limits, but even more controversial than that.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Mercy: "Hey Sigma, you are being used as a living weapon"

Sigma: "Oh, I wasn't aware of that, thank you"

I require information, not emo stylings! What are his hit points? Abilities? Numberrrs!

0rj9z90kuh9p.png

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I require information, not emo stylings! What are his hit points? Abilities? Numberrrs!

With shoulders like that, he's got to be a the fabled Talon Tank of legend.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Wow, what a trip. Straight up horror, amazing video, and makes me wanna play the new guy.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I don't want to get all negative on Sigma before we know what his abilities are, but all the black hole / gravity stuff makes me think he's gonna' be all about pull and CC abilities. Which is literally every hero since launch, save Moira (I think..?).
    • Ana - the Almighty Sleep Dart
    • Sombra - Hack & EMP
    • Doomfist - Slam, Punch & Uppercut all have stun/interrupt properties
    • Moon over my Hammy - All Bout Dem Boops
    • Ashe - Shotgun Boop, Bob Uppercut
    • Orisa - Halt
    • Brig - Shield Bash & Whip Shot

Only Moira doesn't have a boop, pull or stun of some kind. I really don't want another hero who's yanking and pushing everyone around - my God, don't we have enough of those?

Man. I am negative as shit lately.

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    it looks like he has two different outfits, i wonder if he can transform into two different characters, like a dark version and light version of himself?

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    Sure, he's not a black woman, but there's even more important representation: theatre dorks
    https://youtu.be/Yf9Bt5WFZKs

I think boops are okay on a tank, disruption is part of their job. It only really gets annoying when the other roles are doing it too.

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I don't want to get all negative on Sigma before we know what his abilities are, but all the black hole / gravity stuff makes me think he's gonna' be all about pull and CC abilities. Which is literally every hero since launch, save Moira (I think..?).
    • Sombra - Hack & EMP
    • Orisa - Halt

Only Moira doesn't have a boop, pull or stun of some kind. I really don't want another hero who's yanking and pushing everyone around - my God, don't we have enough of those?

If he has CC it'll likely be a slow because of the PTR change that affects how slow effects stack on each other. There are a lot of theories floating around about what he does, but with all the splitting that was happening in the video, I'm beginning to wonder if some of that is literal and it's his ult is actually duplicating himself some how.

It definitely seems like reality-bending is a theme of his. I wonder if he actually is split between one version of himself who's locked up and another working for Talon.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was playing some Hog FFA and by a minute into the round there were 2 Doomfists and 2 Lucios.

I did not land a single combo that game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    This is going to come off a bit harsh, because, well it is. But I don't feel any reason to be particularly differential to Blizzard: They took my money long ago, so they already won. As a paying customer I am within my rights to be pissed at them.

I absolutely in the "Role queue turns the game into something I'm not very interested in" camp. It seems awfully late in the game's life to be making these kind of fundamental, core-concept changes. Not that the game is dying or anything, just that it is already settled and mature and just didn't have any problems serious enough to need this kind of structural change. It feels very much like they're taking what is at best an e-sports only problem and forcing a ham fisted, poorly thought through solution onto the rest of the game's population without considering how that will effect people that have been playing this game the entire time and don't give two damns about this esports nonsense.

It is their game, so they can break it if they want to. But I reserve the right to think this is a huge mistake that will only end in tears and a dwindling, disinterested player base.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    As essentially a DPS one-trick, 2-2-2 is almost specifically designed to fuck me over, personally. Doubly so because my D.Va one-trick brother now insists on playing DPS or Baptiste or Hammond, and we've been losing a lot of games.

But the day 2-2-2 was announced, I logged in for a game to try to get some practice in on Zen, who I've been favoring as a support lately. Slowly, 2 people locked tanks. Then we got a primary support. Then a second DPS, and the sixth person didn't pick a hero until I dropped Zen, locked into Tracer and they went 2nd support - so we had 2-2-2. And it was a great game.

I'm willing to give it a shot.

This is going to come off a bit harsh, because, well it is. But I don't feel any reason to be particularly differential to Blizzard: They took my money long ago, so they already won. As a paying customer I am within my rights to be pissed at them.

I absolutely in the "Role queue turns the game into something I'm not very interested in" camp. It seems awfully late in the game's life to be making these kind of fundamental, core-concept changes. Not that the game is dying or anything, just that it is already settled and mature and just didn't have any problems serious enough to need this kind of structural change. It feels very much like they're taking what is at best an e-sports only problem and forcing a ham fisted, poorly thought through solution onto the rest of the game's population without considering how that will effect people that have been playing this game the entire time and don't give two damns about this esports nonsense.

It is their game, so they can break it if they want to. But I reserve the right to think this is a huge mistake that will only end in tears and a dwindling, disinterested player base.

Respectfully I really disagree, I think it's finally a solution for a fundamental problem in pub matches: team comps are usually a joke, and the game isn't fun to play when you have a bad team comp. It just doesn't work, Overwatch is a very VERY team comp oriented game and it always has been. That's why I quit playing, pub games were just really frustrating. This change will bring me back to the game. The fact that skill rating is now done per-role helps as well to make higher quality games. I couldn't care less about OWL for any of this.

I don't think it's ever too late to make big changes to a live game. They need to do what they think is best for the years to come - they can't always be tied to preserving the launch day experience. That's how a game fades into irrelevance. I'm way more excited to play a game that continues to see big changes than one that has been the same for years.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

Respectfully I really disagree, I think it's finally a solution for a fundamental problem in pub matches: team comps are usually a joke, and the game isn't fun to play when you have a bad team comp. It just doesn't work, Overwatch is a very VERY team comp oriented game and it always has been. That's why I quit playing, pub games were just really frustrating. This change will bring me back to the game. The fact that skill rating is now done per-role helps as well to make higher quality games. I couldn't care less about OWL for any of this.

I don't think it's ever too late to make big changes to a live game. They need to do what they think is best for the years to come - they can't always be tied to preserving the launch day experience. That's how a game fades into irrelevance. I'm way more excited to play a game that continues to see big changes than one that has been the same for years.

And people have been asking for role queue for ages. It definitely isn't an esports-only problem.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    • Sombra - Hack & EMP
    • Orisa - Halt

If he has CC it'll likely be a slow because of the PTR change that affects how slow effects stack on each other. There are a lot of theories floating around about what he does, but with all the splitting that was happening in the video, I'm beginning to wonder if some of that is literal and it's his ult is actually duplicating himself some how.

crazy idea inspired by the developer update: he can teleport enemies away from the fight, essentially an involuntary version of tracer's recall. imagine you're a reaper diving the team, ready to death blossom some fools, you hit Q, and suddenly you're ulting all by yourself in your spawn room...

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Yeah I think forced 2-2-2 is probably fine. The ideal solution is Actually Balancing Tanks but it's clear at this point we're not getting that, so this is the next best thing in the interest of 1) keeping the meta healthy and 2) allowing them more freedom in designing interesting new heroes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am not really looking forward to the 2-2-2 because I like playing in weird groups with no tanks 1 tank 1 healer 4 dps

It's not going to stop people playing battle Mercy or dpsing only with Moira aka not healing
    I really feel Jeff learned nothing from WoW CTF is as messy as WSG. The que for QP they did the same thing in WoW and it did not solve the issue

And people have been asking for role queue for ages. It definitely isn't an esports-only problem.

I think they should've rolled it out in comp, where it was wanted the most, and seen the reaction and if people kept clamoring for it in QP made a decision then either as an arcade mode or poll or something.

steam_sig.png
  • ImthebOHGODBEESImthebOHGODBEES Registered User regular
    Ok, so even if this isn’t what he ends up being how’s this for a fun/bad idea for Sigma?

We see hints about splitting reality. So one of his abilities (ult, cooldown, whatever) is to target either friendlies or enemies with a short range ability which creates a shadow copy of the target. The shadow copy just stops walking and stands there. For the next 6 (? Or X) seconds, Sigma may resolve his ability to swap the targeted hero back to the shadow version, reversing any damage they did. Or he’ll, not reversing. Just displacing.

Either way, he can go back and choose the other reality.

Do you, in fact, have any builds in this shop at all?
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    As essentially a DPS one-trick, 2-2-2 is almost specifically designed to fuck me over, personally. Doubly so because my D.Va one-trick brother now insists on playing DPS or Baptiste or Hammond, and we've been losing a lot of games.

But the day 2-2-2 was announced, I logged in for a game to try to get some practice in on Zen, who I've been favoring as a support lately. Slowly, 2 people locked tanks. Then we got a primary support. Then a second DPS, and the sixth person didn't pick a hero until I dropped Zen, locked into Tracer and they went 2nd support - so we had 2-2-2. And it was a great game.

I'm willing to give it a shot.

zen is the boy you just focus on BALLS

obF2Wuw.png
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am not really looking forward to the 2-2-2 because I like playing in weird groups with no tanks 1 tank 1 healer 4 dps

It's not going to stop people playing battle Mercy or dpsing only with Moira aka not healing
    I really feel Jeff learned nothing from WoW CTF is as messy as WSG. The que for QP they did the same thing in WoW and it did not solve the issue

So play QP classic in arcade. It's literally a non-issue if you don't play comp.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    my (pc) experience in QP is that typically, the teams usually end up pretty close to 2-2-2 at the end anyway. Usually at the start one of the teams might be running 5dps 1 heal and unless they have a carry, people will lose the first point or two and then switch. The question is if/when they switch it's enough time to make it more competitive. I see it as a positive to start both teams in a fundamentally same coordination.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Ok, so even if this isn’t what he ends up being how’s this for a fun/bad idea for Sigma?

We see hints about splitting reality. So one of his abilities (ult, cooldown, whatever) is to target either friendlies or enemies with a short range ability which creates a shadow copy of the target. The shadow copy just stops walking and stands there. For the next 6 (? Or X) seconds, Sigma may resolve his ability to swap the targeted hero back to the shadow version, reversing any damage they did. Or he’ll, not reversing. Just displacing.

Either way, he can go back and choose the other reality.

oof, that sounds like a programming nightmare. the game would need to keep track of the past-states of every character in the match (twice over if there are sigmas on both teams) and be able to restore them without any weird results like dropping people off cliffs, out-of-world, or stashing them in the middle of an enemy player or the payload or in a prohibited area like an enemy spawn room.

they've already had to deal with glitches like that involving tracer/sombra getting stuck inside the cart.

This discussion has been closed.