As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Godzilla and other, less important Kaiju

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    home video sales are a hell of a thing to need to take account of in 2019

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Gotta get those amazon rental cents

CYpGAPn.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2019

They're not as big as they used to be but I still see them cited by companies as motivation for continuing a franchise.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Godzilla Final Wars is tokusatsu as all hell, good lord. I'm half expecting the EDF to have a henshin sequence.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    All I could think about with the EDF in Final Wars was it they were influenced by the EDF in the Earth Defense Force games. Those games do feature a “legally distinct Godzilla.”

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    To think people complain about King of the Monsters being too talky, the first quarter of this film has had more dialogue than all of KotM.

I just can't, this movie is a hot mess.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    And I love it

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9idrRHqRc68
    The actual first Godzilla anime. There's... a LOT of wut in this one.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    Remember how NECA said the hit the rights for kaiju besides Godzilla? Well, keep waiting because their next figure is Godzilla from 1964's Mothra vs Godzilla.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/97690

edited July 2019
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Oh hey I don’t have to be the one to resurrect the thread. I just watched Godzilla vs. Biollante and vs. Mechagodzilla II. Didn’t care for the former, really liked the latter. So far the Heisei era is a mixed bag, but I only have Spacegodzilla left and then I’ll probably rewatch Destroyah before deciding how I like it overall.

So, for fun, I punched in the runtimes off the old criterion announcement of what Toho films they have, and added them up to see if it came close what is offered by that boxset.

Movie Runtime
    Godzilla (1954) 96
    Godzilla Raids Again (1955) 82
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956) 80
    Rodan (1956) 82
    Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964) 88
    Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964) 93
    Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965) 94
    War of the Gargantuas (1966) 90
    Son of Godzilla (1967) 85
    Destroy All Monsters (1968) 88
    All Monsters Attack (1969) 70
    Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) 81
    Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974) 84
    Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975) 83
    Total 1196

Target Page: 1295

Almost enough to squeeze in another movie.

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Maybe they got Smog Monster?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    That could be bonus features, but the idea of seeing Hedorah in high definition is a wonderful one

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Are there issues with that film’s rights in particular? I was wondering why Criterion Channel is missing it.

Are there issues with that film’s rights in particular? I was wondering why Criterion Channel is missing it.

Toho wasn't consistent in who they sold the rights to for US distribution, so they're all over the place now.

Criterion has Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, All Monster Attack, Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment has King Kong vs Godzilla

Kraken Home Media has Ebirah, Horror of the Deep, Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, and Return of Godzilla. (Interestingly, Wikipedia lists everything but Return of Godzilla as NA now)

Lionsgate has Godzilla vs Biollante

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has the rest of the Heisei and Millenium era films

Funimation has Shin Godzilla

Netflix has the Anime Trilogy

Oh right I forgot there were a few other Showa era films missing from Criterion.

I'm actually seeing rumors that Kraken may have lost the rights, which would make Kong the only showa era movie left to negotiate for.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Oh hey I don’t have to be the one to resurrect the thread. I just watched Godzilla vs. Biollante and vs. Mechagodzilla II. Didn’t care for the former, really liked the latter. So far the Heisei era is a mixed bag, but I only have Spacegodzilla left and then I’ll probably rewatch Destroyah before deciding how I like it overall.

Space Godzilla is probably the weakest Heisei one, so not a bad idea to save it for last.
    I'm actually seeing rumors that Kraken may have lost the rights, which would make Kong the only showa era movie left to negotiate for.

I hope so, Smog monster and Gigan were a couple of my favorites when I was a kid.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45

Having watched Kong vs Godzilla recently they really don’t need it

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Olivaw wrote: »

It's one of the better cheesy Godzilla films, IMO.

Also the Japanese version has never been released on blu-ray in the states.

Undead Scottsman on

It's one of the better cheesy Godzilla films, IMO.

Also the Japanese version has never been released on blu-ray in the states.

I mean I have to believe the Japanese version is a better and more coherent film but I must disagree

There are a dozen better cheesy Godzilla movies that also don’t have extended racist comedy bits

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited July 2019
    Fair enough on the racism bit. (I haven't seen the american version since I was a child, but the Japanese version is no slouch in that department either.)

That said, the lead antagonist(?) is a hoot in that movie, the plot is all kinds of bonkers and the fight between kong and Godzilla is great.

Undead Scottsman on
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Space Godzilla is probably the weakest Heisei one, so not a bad idea to save it for last.

Just finished and I really liked it?! The final battle drags on a bit and it's a bit light on any sort of social messaging, but it's enjoyable enough. SpaceGodzilla is great, but Baby Godzilla is the GOAT.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Just finished and I really liked it?! The final battle drags on a bit and it's a bit light on any sort of social messaging, but it's enjoyable enough. SpaceGodzilla is great, but Baby Godzilla is the GOAT.

Too each their own :) I liked the early parts but I didn't like M.O.G.E.R.A. and the tunneling stuff. Felt more Showa than Heisei. Space Godzilla was great (I have a toy of him haha), but overall compared to the others, I liked it the least overall.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Is Legendary at comic-con at all

Are we going to get a look at GvK

edited July 2019
    Is Legendary at comic-con at all

Are we going to get a look at GvK

They were.

We aren't.

EDIT: Sound like some of the cast and crew of KotM were interviewed by the Kaiju Kingdom podcast for a panel. I haven't seen any major news out of there so I assume nothing got announced.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited July 2019
    Was going through the thread looking for some recommendations from earlier and it reminded me of two things.

1. Man, did the promotion for KotM make some thematic checks the final film didn't cash.
    2. Those two obscure Kaiju films I mentioned awhile back? Here's a trailer for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkanK_Uq-aA

Love the tagline of "King of the (Sea) Monsters" :biggrin:

Undead Scottsman on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ah shit I'ma need a blu-ray player now

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited July 2019
    So glad I held off on grabbing some of these films now.

Edit: oh, boo, it's the US version of King King vs Godzilla.

Undead Scottsman on

Genuinely surprised by that

The rights to that must be so locked down that it’s damned impossible to get at them

Toho must either really love or really hate that thing

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited July 2019
    I think I read the Japanese version is in the bonus features?

Edit: nvm, Criterion specifies it’s the American cut. Huh!

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited July 2019

Genuinely surprised by that

The rights to that must be so locked down that it’s damned impossible to get at them

Toho must either really love or really hate that thing

Bloody Disgusting has a list of bonus features and it has the Japanese version of Kong vs Godzilla listed under there. I'm guessing Universal (who flat out owns the rights to that film outside of asia) requested the US version be the main version.

EDIT: Or the original Japanese cut was destroyed so maybe they just couldn't get a version to do a high definition transfer, given it's not listed there as high def, so they put the American version facing forward.

Not ideal, but definitely within the realm of acceptability.
    The set includes Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs. Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro-Monster, Ebirah Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Special features include:

-High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
    -High-definition digital transfer of Godzilla, King of the Monsters (1956), the U.S.-release version of Godzilla
    -Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla from 1962
    -Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
    -International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
    -Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
    -Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla’s special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
    -New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
    -New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai
    -Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
    -Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
    -New English subtitle translations
    -Trailers
    -PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly, and Chris Wisnia

This is really incredible as just a year ago I was first looking into completing a Godzilla collection and the rights issues with the showa era films turned me right off from that.

Kudos to Criterion for making this possible.

Undead Scottsman on
    Okay I wasn’t going crazy then! Great!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Okay I wasn’t going crazy then! Great!

Let's not go too far.

This also leaves open the possibility that Criterion collects the Heisei or Millenium eras as well

Heisei is the one I have the least familiarity with and I’d love to have all that in one place

signature-deffo.jpg
    Some of those movies make me wonder that just because they could have doesn't mean that they should have.

wVEsyIc.png