As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    More to the point, Samsung is denying warranty claims for people whose phones break while under those conditions.

Which is something you can do in America where warranty protections are weak but Australia's consumer protection doesn't take kindly to that kind of thing.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Renders of the Pixel 4 have it without a notch and just a "large" top bezel which is what I wanted in the first place.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yep. I still don't get the "remove bezels at all cost" that ends up with notches and hole punch cameras and the like. I look at my Note 9 every day and the 1/3 of an inch of bezel at the top doesn't change my life in the slightest.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    What's the difference between a disabled/blacked out notch and a bezel?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »

They charge you more for the notch.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

If you're going to black out the area around the notch, why have the notch? Just put a bezel there.

• Options
    Also your notification bar at the top is smaller with a notch, so fewer status items/notifications can appear. can't fix that with software to make the notch invisible, can fix that by not having a notch.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I've seen at least three articles saying that the top bezel on the Pixel 4 is huge....

I weep for humanity sometimes.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Agreed. I will say my new MSI laptop with like no bezel does look much bigger than my older ASUS that had like 1/4" all the way around.

But the current solutions on phones are kind of ridiculous.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That extra 1/8" or whatever it is - it's really small - at the top and bottom of my V30 beats the shit out of any notch or hole punch or whatever. Far more elegant to my eyes.

Hell, in some odd positions it also makes the phone easier to hold. And keeps it symmetrical in landscape, which I like far too much.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, small bezels are just fine, but I have no major issue with notches, either.

Just don't give me the useless iPhone 8-sized chunks and I'm good.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

If you're going to black out the area around the notch, why have the notch? Just put a bezel there.
    Because these flagship phones just have to follow the leader, no matter how asinine the trend (I'm still angry that they're removing the headphone jack from the note 10, that's why I switched to android in the first place!)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Because these flagship phones just have to follow the leader, no matter how asinine the trend (I'm still angry that they're removing the headphone jack from the note 10, that's why I switched to android in the first place!)

If they don't follow the leader, then there are a dozen articles written about how ugly the phone is and how the 1/8" bezel was added by Satan himself.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

If they don't follow the leader, then there are a dozen articles written about how ugly the phone is and how the 1/8" bezel was added by Satan himself.

There were like 3 articles describing how the Note 9 feels huge and clunky due to the increased bezel width on the sides because they were literally a millimeter or two wider.

• Options

Because then people who want to maximise their screen real estate can have the notch instead and both sets of customers can have their ideal experience out of one device.

Which is the status quo right now so I'm really unsure what the complaint is. All the notches can be blacked out if you'd prefer it to be a bezel, and if you don't mind them and want the extra screen space you keep the notch. Everybody wins.

I'm not sure why you're so adamant on going back to a setup where you are the only one who wins instead.

• Options
    Also not really sure why we're having the argument about notches again given that they have, maybe, a year left of relevance before under-display cameras replace them entirely.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Also not really sure why we're having the argument about notches again given that they have, maybe, a year left of relevance before under-display cameras replace them entirely.

Which will be replaced if foldable displays finally get traction... etc. Under camera displays are another red herring to be honest.

• Options
    TBH, I was mostly just using it as an excuse to bitch about the death of the headphone jack again

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The OnePlus 7 Pro solution to the selfie cam location conundrum is pretty neat, and apparently more robust than you'd think. I mean, I'm still cool with a small bezel like I've said, but the 7 Pro pop-up is better than the ham-fisted notches and hole punches, as well as being cool as hell doing it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    It also has an accelerometer that detects if the phone is falling and retracts the camera if needed. Really smart design. I was thinking of the OnePlus 7 being my next phone until the Pixel 4 started popping up, and I might still keep looking that way.

• Options
    TBH, I'd probably be willing to buy a phone that didn't have a selfie camera at all

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I've taken maybe 8-10 selfies in my entire life. I just don't get it. More than half of those were tracking my beard growth over the course of 4-6 weeks out of curiosity of how long it would take to fully fill in from clean shaven.

I'll admit my life is fairly boring in comparison to most people, but even if it was more interesting I'm not the kind of person that needs to have my face be part of a picture of something memorable to prove I was there.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    TBH, I'd probably be willing to buy a phone that didn't have a selfie camera at all
    I've used my front-facing camera more as an inspection mirror than a selfie camera. Probably the most important use I've ever found for it is confirming that a toddler is asleep in lieu of moving and possibly waking them before they've fully out of it (sweet freedom). Other than that it is the odd Duo call so my nephews can see their grandparents/parents when they are away.

I'm also a boring person that doesn't feel the need post crap I've done on social media. Photos of important events are on Google Photos and shared with relevant family members, comments & likes are disabled on all the albums.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I have used it to look into tight spaces occasionally, but I would definitely buy one with no selfie if it would provide some benefit. Lighter, better battery, cheaper, faster, cooler, etc. Preferably cheaper.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    I use Skype on mine every couple weeks so my kid can talk to my parents. Can't go without one.

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2019

An over $1,200 DS, by the looks of it (totting up the numbers at the end).

At that point just get a gaming laptop, at least it'll have some stuff worth playing on it.

Jazz on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I am looking into Android emulators for gaming (my sole device is a seven-years-old Nexus 7) but it seems anything suitable for the load is somehow shady. Should I buckle down and get Noxplayer or Bluestacks, or just go without?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ianator wrote: »
    I am looking into Android emulators for gaming (my sole device is a seven-years-old Nexus 7) but it seems anything suitable for the load is somehow shady. Should I buckle down and get Noxplayer or Bluestacks, or just go without?

Bluestacks has adverts but is otherwise up front about what it's doing. It's Nox that's potentially sending all of your data to China.

Nox has some super handy macro stuff built right in, which might be useful if you want a leg-up in a gacha game or something, but it's not worth the data risk. There's lists available online of IPs to block to keep Nox from phoning home, though, if you really want to go that route.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Bluestacks has adverts but is otherwise up front about what it's doing. It's Nox that's potentially sending all of your data to China.

Nox has some super handy macro stuff built right in, which might be useful if you want a leg-up in a gacha game or something, but it's not worth the data risk. There's lists available online of IPs to block to keep Nox from phoning home, though, if you really want to go that route.

I had actually used Nox before but it was constantly crashing a game I wanted to play before (Azur Lane). Installed BlueStacks and the current game (Gunpla Battle) but there's a widespread issue with being unable to get an account ID and log in.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    So Samsung really dropped the ball with the Note 10/10+/10+5G launch announcements. I don’t think I’ve really seen a fan base turn so quickly on a product before.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    They shouldn't have removed the headphone jack.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Between "having this basic input option" and their favoring hi-fi DAC in pretty much all thier phones now, LG is apparently "the destination for music lovers who want a good-looking device that's a reasonably competent phone,"; or so goes the narrative.

Which is great for me. I've liked my LG G6+ enough that if I had to replace it, god forbid, I'd try and grab another notchless LG phone (hard as that is). It's no Windows Phone (music/media playback being one of the few things that system did really, really well) but it's good, and it's not like iPhone would be capable of that even if they did have an headphone jack.

Until LG decides they want to be like the big boys and drops it as well. :bigfrown:

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I was planning on replacing my og pixel with either the note 10 or the pixel 4. The note having a headphone jack was the number one thing that was keeping it ahead of the pixel, but not anymore.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    They're also dumb for shoving all the best features on to the Note 10+, it's really obvious

Local H Jay on
  • Options

They shouldn’t have had several ad campaigns lampooning other manufacturers for removing the headphone jack and having no expandable memory and then trying to do exactly the same with no good excuse. No Samsung getting rid of the jack to fit a bigger battery is a bullshit excuse when you have a pen taking up a huge amount of space and your previous flagship models having one with no issues and in the 5G S10 having a bigger battery capacity.

Samsung shouldn’t have also shown off a base model that clearly is designed to try and force people to purchase the more expensive plus model.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Between "having this basic input option" and their favoring hi-fi DAC in pretty much all thier phones now, LG is apparently "the destination for music lovers who want a good-looking device that's a reasonably competent phone,"; or so goes the narrative.

Which is great for me. I've liked my LG G6+ enough that if I had to replace it, god forbid, I'd try and grab another notchless LG phone (hard as that is). It's no Windows Phone (music/media playback being one of the few things that system did really, really well) but it's good, and it's not like iPhone would be capable of that even if they did have an headphone jack.

Until LG decides they want to be like the big boys and drops it as well. :bigfrown:

I feel the same way about my V30. :+1:

Mind you, us two are pretty much the LG fan club in this thread.

• Options
    The problem with the Note line is that it was traditionally the platform for all of Samsung's new/crazy ideas, and pushed hardware and capabilities more than any phone did.

that really hasn't been the case since probably all the way back to the Note 5. The Note 7 wasn't that much better than the GS7 and then also set on fire. The Note 8 and 9 were basically GS8+/GS9+'s with a stylus and a slightly bigger battery. The Note 10 continues that, and actually removes a couple things that are in the S10 series.

I bought the note 9 at the beginning of the year because my last phone broke and I knew the Note 9 would be Samsung's last really great phone with no notch/hole punch and with a headphone jack. But honestly, I would have been just has happy with a GS9+.

The Note series has "evolved" into a Galaxy phone with a stylus. Unless you are married to that stylus, the Galaxy S line is the better buy now.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The problem with the Note line is that it was traditionally the platform for all of Samsung's new/crazy ideas, and pushed hardware and capabilities more than any phone did.

that really hasn't been the case since probably all the way back to the Note 5. The Note 7 wasn't that much better than the GS7 and then also set on fire. The Note 8 and 9 were basically GS8+/GS9+'s with a stylus and a slightly bigger battery. The Note 10 continues that, and actually removes a couple things that are in the S10 series.

I bought the note 9 at the beginning of the year because my last phone broke and I knew the Note 9 would be Samsung's last really great phone with no notch/hole punch and with a headphone jack. But honestly, I would have been just has happy with a GS9+.

The Note series has "evolved" into a Galaxy phone with a stylus. Unless you are married to that stylus, the Galaxy S line is the better buy now.

Honestly, I think most people would have been happy with a Galaxy S line with a stylus as the Note 10/10+. It’s the fact that Samsung are removing features its current flagship phones have for no good reason with the Note 10/10+.

I do think though the bigger insult really is the base model note 10. To have that many standout features removed and still charge nearly a thousand is just scummy way to justify the 10+ having the inflated price tag. I hate seeing predatory practices like this coming through and thought we were done with this shit when Sony showed the world that a compact phone line can still be flagship in features.

• Options
    I do buy the argument that it's hard to find room for the headphone jack. Designing small electronics is always a question of space vs heat vs features vs everything else, and headphone jacks are not small. It's inevitable that it's an engineering problem to fit everything you want in there as well as the jack and at some point, as a company making phones, when you make a list of priorities for what you want your new product to be, headphone jack is never going to be high on the list overall and it's only going to slip lower and lower over time.

I wonder what it is about an old input standard that makes all of you so sure it should be around forever. No other piece of day to day technology has any interest in utilizing the headphone jack. Cars don't use 3.5mm anymore, they're all USB aux cords now. PC headsets are all USB.

What are the actual downsides of USB-C headphones? There's not being able to listen while charging, which is a) niche and b) easily solved if a company wanted to just put two USB C ports in (which are smaller than a headphone jack) and there's needing new USB-C headphones, which so far are in the box of most of the expensive phones. What other downsides are there?