As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

As cool as winter, as hot as summer Dresden and other Books-Cinder Spires 2 is out!

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Fearbreed wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    In Butcher's case its because of a big mess in his personal life getting in the way though iirc.

Yeah, Butcher had a lot of crazy juju there for a while. Renshaw had to stop to write his masters thesis. GRRM....there are no excuses. I know there is another series I was working on that is on hiatus but it's been a while and I can't remember right now.

GRRM last published a main book in 2011, and it's at least understandable that he's been working a lot on the HBO show and some side novels as to why he hasn't released the next main book.

Patrick Rothfuss last released a main book in 2011 and has mostly become an internet and D&D celebrity since then.

I think the former is far more understandable than the latter.

GRRM hasn't written for the show since season 4. Was he involved any substantial way with the back half of the series?

I'm not sure how much sympathy or frustration to have for stalled series. On one hand, it feels churlish to attack the author or their work because it's not coming out fast enough—despite social media, we never see more than a glimpse of what's actually going on in people's lives. And the people telling GRRM to finish before he dies are just shitheels.

On the other hand, the longest gap in the Harry Potter series was 3 years and Rowling had at least as much attention and pressure to continue as GRRM.

The longest gap in the Wheel of Time was 4 years, and that was because Robert Jordan actually died.

In close, I have no idea. I just want to read my books and the authors to have good lives.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Go read (and then re-read) The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle before dunking on Patrick Rothfuss for not releasing a book.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    He did release a book in 2014, it was just not the book that folks wanted him to release.

Which for all the GRRM is lazy stuff you can say about him alot. He's released a few books since Dance, just not the ones folks wanted.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    He also wrote all the lore and world building for that new video game coming out.

camo_sig2.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Heir wrote: »
    He also wrote all the lore and world building for that new video game coming out.

From the E3 stuff, it sounds like he mainly was involved at getting the major points together (world cosmology, etc) and less so fleshing out the fine details.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Go read (and then re-read) The Adventures of the Princess and Mr. Whiffle before dunking on Patrick Rothfuss for not releasing a book.

I have. It's a picture book aimed at young adults. It certainly didn't take as much as...

You know what, nevermind, I don't want to drag the thread further off topic.

Speaking of games, though, I’d love to see a Mass Effect-style Dresdenverse RPG.

Take a page from the tabletop game and build up a single city/region to explore in detail. I’d pick New England for that Cthulhu goodness.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Speaking of games, though, I’d love to see a Mass Effect-style Dresdenverse RPG.

Take a page from the tabletop game and build up a single city/region to explore in detail. I’d pick New England for that Cthulhu goodness.

https://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-files-rpg/ ?

Lorek wrote: »

Yeah, that, but a video game.

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

Yeah, that, but a video game.

Oh ho ho, wow, I totally missed what you meant by an RPG. Wowza, yeah, a Dresden video game would be awesome.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Good news - the book is finished!

Now just have to wait until it's in stores/available digitally.

• FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    Yessssssss

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Now for the editing work to be finished.
    And the publishers getting it printed.
    And shipped.

Should I start my Dresden reread now?

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Figure 6 months to a year depending on how cluttered the publishers schedule is.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    yay

I’ll allow myself to feel a little enthusiasm when the countdown is in a manageable “days for Amazon to get it to me” range.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yay! Probably still some time until it's cleaned up enough to go to the editor, but this is good news!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I feel like a reread of ALL the books is a bit excessive.

Maybe just the last three.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I feel like a reread of ALL the books is a bit excessive.

Maybe just the last three.

Yea I'm going to save a full series re-read for when the final book comes out, whenever that may be.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I reread full series pretty frequently :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    I re-read them all last year so I'll probably hold off until we have a date and read them all in a month again. Unless somehow miraculously the new book is released this year.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I'll probably reread from changes once we get an actual release date.

Looking forward to more Dresden and hoping Butcher gets back to his faster pace.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The last book was PARKOR & Hades right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Yep, and Harry now has a small arsenal powered by the White God.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Yep, and Harry now has a small arsenal powered by the White God.

And money, which is probably a bigger change for him.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Figure 6 months to a year depending on how cluttered the publishers schedule is.

The other thing is that publishers try and hit their two big sales windows which are christmas gifting and summer reading. Christmas would be like 3 months which would be insane. Like I think I heard three months for if GRRM every actually finishes another book as a stupidly expensive effort. I don't think Butcher is quite at that level in the industry but I don't really know.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Good news - the book is finished!

Now just have to wait until it's in stores/available digitally.

Looks like butcher is back on the tracks after a few years of personal drama. He is a fast writer when his personal life is not exploding so I expect things to start getting published a lot more regularly.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Awesome the book is done, but we can't draw any other conclusions from that.

He may turn into GRRM now for all we know instead.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm on a reread now. I usually go through the entire series once a year.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    One thing that some established authors who A) are taking a while, B) who are fairly strong sellers get is that their books are edited to no small extent as they go. They finish a bit, they flip it to their editors and beta readers, and the support people go over it immediately. As a result, by the time the author is done, a substantial amount of the editing is done. There’s still additional work editing to make sure it all fits together, as well as type-setting, creating publicity campaigns, fitting the book into the print queue, etc.

But basically, I fully expect this to be an American Thanksgiving release.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    One thing that some established authors who A) are taking a while, B) who are fairly strong sellers get is that their books are edited to no small extent as they go. They finish a bit, they flip it to their editors and beta readers, and the support people go over it immediately. As a result, by the time the author is done, a substantial amount of the editing is done. There’s still additional work editing to make sure it all fits together, as well as type-setting, creating publicity campaigns, fitting the book into the print queue, etc.

I would love that but don't expect it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Some people have run the numbers on Reddit, and it seems that the last half dozen books had a turnaround time from "THE END" to "ON SHELVES" of 3-6 months. So it's not impossible for this one to release late this year (some have claimed that Dec/Jan are busy book buying months, so that would fit as well), but as the resident grumpy pants fan, I'm just mentally putting it as "2020" and will be pleasantly surprised if it's more like Nov or Dec.

What I always liked about the books was that the month and year the story takes place in is the month and year of the release date. All of the older books follow this, though I belive after Changes this stopped, but it was a neat thing he did to tie those together. Since there has been such a delay between the last book and this one, that isn't possible - otherwise Dresden's daughter would prettt much be grown up in Peace Talks.

edited July 2019
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I checked the time from completion of draft to publishing on Butcher's last two books, and the Aeronaut's windlass was something along the lines of 6 months (posted the exact timeline earlier in the thread, can't remember exactly). Skin Game was 6 months and 10 days.

So, it's possible that penguin decides they really really want a new Dresden Files book under peoples' Christmas trees this year, and really expedites the process...

Or we end up with Peace Talks at the beginning of February.

I'm guessing the latter, but the former is possible.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    Still no release date for Peace Talks, but Amazon is showing the following for the Kindle edition.

Print Length: 640 pages
    Publisher: Orbit; Digital original edition (April 16, 2020)
    Publication Date: April 16, 2020
    Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
    Language: English
    ASIN: B07SZLRHMT

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    That is going to be the largest Dresden Files book to date.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I can't find it on Amazon. Link?

edited October 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I can't find it on Amazon. Link?

Not sure how accurate this is, but I found the same info on Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22249640-peace-talks

Edit: Well, they show 416 pages, but I'm wondering if the April 16th info is getting jammed in there as the page count.

Nitsua on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Page Count is gone for me, but it does so April 16th, 2020. I now know what I'll be doing April 17th, 2020.

Part of me is eager to finally get this, part is kind of tempted to wait until it’s in paperback or maybe the next one is in the editor’s hands. Basically, cut down the next wait by letting this lengthy one drag out a bit.

Yeah yeah, has his own space finally, etc. I still don’t think we’re going to see the annual releases like he had going, which means 2022 might be optimistic for the next one showing up.

Maybe it won’t be all that bad, I never expected a 6 year wait between books either.