As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Morrison speaks exactly how you would expect a person who was fired from marketing for incompetence to speak.

• Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Beasley could never fit anything into a soundbite. He is an exceptionally smart guy - Rhodes scholar - but would always ramble and so no message would get across well. A shame, as he'd have been a fantastic Prime Minister. I've met Crean - he's quite nice, but pretty forgettable.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Albanese tells MPs they are not allowed to call opponents 'liars'

Labor will deserves to lose the next election.

If that's their approach, they're going in half assed.

Now, it's one thing to prohibit people from just abusing the word, I get that. But this "raise public discourse" is such bullshit when the other side isn't playing by those rules.

See example, UK Tories (re Brexit), US Republicans (re nearly everything).

I don't want to see Labor sink to those lows, but if you can't call a blatant lie for what it is, or have to couch it in the bullshit that the American media use re: Trump (mistruths, falsehoods, incorrect statement, etc), then what's the fucking point of debate? The right openly lie, the left clutch pearls and deflect.

And I'd say the same if Labor lies too. Bullshit needs to be called out.

MorganV on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Yeah nah that is the shittiest possible take from Albo.

Labor needs to grow a fucking spine and nail these ratfuckers to the wall for everything.

It's just a shame the The Greens seem to be the only political party interested in acting as an actual opposition to the LNP, Labor have just crawled under the covers and snuggled up very quickly and comfortably.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    isn't kim beazley on the board of the ramsay centre

okay i looked it up and he was but he's not any more

between him and latham that's a surprising amount of labor leaders pivoting to the far right, though

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Damn I didn't know about that. I heard he went a bit off but had no idea it was anywhere approaching Latham-levels.

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    nrqq3r5c4qqi.jpeg

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Australia's Smart Energy Council is calling on the Victorian government to immediately scrap the need for facial recognition to claim the solar rebate, amid a backlash from customers and installers struggling with the new technology.

Almost half of all attempted facial recognition identity checks failed in the first two weeks of July, after Solar Victoria began using Service Victoria's new facial recognition system as an alternative to the traditional 100-point paper-based identity check required to prove eligibility for the rebate scheme.

Forty per cent of Solar Victoria's attempted facial recognition identity checks failed in the first two weeks after it was implemented, with users told they would lose their spot on the waiting list if they did not complete their registration within 14 days.

The scheme now requires applicants to scan their face, passport and driver's license using their smartphone. If the process is successful, an "electronic identity credential" is generated, linked to the user's smartphone, allowing them to verify their identity in future using an SMS code sent to their number.

Solar Victoria is the first state government agency to test the service, which launched as a "public beta" on July 1 despite being tested with fewer than 60 people before going live. The Victorian government intends to extend the facial recognition program to other government services.

The alternative manual identity check process has also become more onerous for those claiming the rebate since July 1.

"Not using facial confirmation means it could take two weeks to process each application."

https://www.theage.com.au/technology/smart-energy-council-calls-for-state-to-abandon-facial-recognition-20190722-p529gg.html

The article is about the general suckiness of the application. But I just wanted to call out the disgustingly blatant attempt to foist facial recognition onto the population. There is zero need for it. Entering a passport/Drivers license number should be plenty to identify a person (and they are required to be photographed anyway) and the new restrictions and delays are clearly designed to push them to use the app.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the federal government was looking at it too, through like AusPost.
    For similar reasons, don't need someone to physically verify 100 points of ID if you can use a document number and a face scan.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Barnaby Joyce really doesn't get what would happen if nuclear power was free if you lived within sight of the plant. I mean, this isn't a serious proposal - the Lib/Nats love to talk about nuclear power and try and collect the technocrat vote while doing absolutely fuck all.

But I would have so much use for unlimited free power. Because that's guilt free insane home science for me.

Backdooring the collection of facial data for the population by tying it to a rebate is both extraordinarily stupid and morally reprehensible. There's some fucking layers here.

I'm not a Victorian resident so they won't give a fuck but I'm still gonna write a letter to the department. Or maybe just to The Age.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Iran provides free power to mosques.

So there's a problem where the government is now being forced to crackdown on mosques that have been filled floor to ceiling with bitcoin mining servers and cooling plants, running 24/7.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

This is why the LNP were so pissed about mediscare. Because their corporate masters want it dead, and they have to wait longer to do it for them

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Fuck right off with that. If I was with NIB, that would be enough for me to leave.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
    I am and I'm strongly considering it.

Mark Fitzgibbon made $3.6M for FY2018.
    http://investorreports.com.au/nib/2018/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/nib-AR18-Remuneration-Report.pdf

NIB made $184.8M profit for FY2018 (up 20% on the previous year).
    https://www.nib.com.au/shareholders/file/2018 Full Year Results ASX Announcement.pdf

Yeah, fuck off crying poor, you goon. And it should be noted that NIB are a relatively SMALL Health Insurance firm (~8.3% market share, with BUPA and Medibank having 26.9% shares each). Just wanting corporate welfare. Whatever happened to "free market capitalism"? Yes, Medicare fucks with your naked monetization of sick people, but it's not like you didn't know that when your businesses started.

Yes, healthcare costs have gone up, but given how fucking moneygrubbing health insurance companies have been for as long as I can remember, yeah, fuck them all. They're the primary cause of the "impending affordability crisis" and the self perpetuating cycle of people leaving (people leave, causes premiums to rise, causing people to leave).

And this asshole wanting to shift the "safety net" into private insurance hands (government paying private insurance for the healthcare of the lower income levels) will see that money be treated responsibly, and not be used to absolutely fucking screw taxpayers out of more money.

Perhaps if the government fixed wage stagnation, people would have money to spend on private healthcare...

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Perhaps if the government fixed wage stagnation, people would have money to spend on private healthcare...

The government doesn’t know how to. Their only play is ‘make the people at the top richer so they pay the people below them more’ which everyone with a brain knows doesn’t work.

edited July 2019
    What blows my mind is Albo hasn't said ANYTHING about this. LABOR WHY DO YOU EVEN EXIST.

Oh hey, Police State:

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Tacit approval.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    “This occurred due to a lack of awareness by WA police regarding to whom an application for a journalist information warrant could be made,”

Bull.
    Shit.

If they don’t know that information, they don’t just get to go ask the coffee boy for a warrant.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Tacit approval.

It's becoming clear to me that Labor's swinging to the right because being left-ish didn't work at the election.
    Which only leaves the Greens.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    "Australian businessman in large established business calls for government to regulate so as to improve his profits."

Story as old as time. The business culture in Australia seems especially wack. I mean, this happens pretty much everywhere but I don't know that it's anywhere quite as bad as Aus.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-24/adani-carmichael-subsidiary-surviving-on-lifeline-from-parent/11338926

Adani is basically insolvent.

But I expect them to receive corporate welfare until the mine opens. Everyone involved in approvals is so clearly bought and paid for.

steam_sig.png
    Solvent wrote: »
    "Australian businessman in large established business calls for government to regulate so as to improve his profits."

Story as old as time. The business culture in Australia seems especially wack. I mean, this happens pretty much everywhere but I don't know that it's anywhere quite as bad as Aus.

The longer I spend in it, the more I think that Paul Keating's comments around Australia being a Banana Republic are pretty well spot on. It's taking longer than he might have predicted and maybe longer than it would have had the economy not been 'rationalised' but we're so myopic on so many fronts.

If it's not building more real estate or opening another mine, most of the economy or at least, most of the investment money out there just doesn't want to know about it.

I've been involved with small tech start ups in Melbourne - some of which got off the ground, but not in a meaningful way and there was no support from pretty well any sector what so ever.

I'm now in the renewable sector and we've had to resort to foreign money to build things - we've got a solid business plan that's being executed, but the big 4 banks don't give a shit. We've had to essentially turn to Chinese investment and foreign sovereign wealth funds in order to build large-scale utility solar plants because no one else will even consider it.

It's pretty hopeless - we could so easily be so much better than we are. If we had a supportive Federal Government, we'd be world leaders on a bunch of fronts, but it seems we're pretty well happy to languish.

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

The government doesn’t know how to. Their only play is ‘make the people at the top richer so they pay the people below them more’ which everyone with a brain knows doesn’t work.

Even they know it doesn't work. But they're getting richer so they don't care. They say that shit so that cretins can repeat it

https://youtu.be/eQaeu_1uGcY

All for just 2 minutes.

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2019
    Meanwhile, the Liberals are making unions illegal.

Namely, the integrity amendment to the fair work Act prevents people from being a union official if they've been found of committing this:
    9C Designated findings and designated laws
    Designated findings
    (1) A designated finding is a finding:
    (a) in any criminal proceedings against a person—that the person has committed an offence against a designated law; or
    (b) in any civil proceedings against a person—that the person has contravened, or been involved in a contravention of:
    (i) a civil penalty provision of this Act

That last civil penalty provision would include any encouragement of employees to undertake an unlawful strike, as specified by the Fair Work Act.
    Because the bargaining has gone on too long.
    Or because the industry can't afford to have a strike or is critical.
    And so forth.

Make it illegal to strike, and then charge everyone who decides to advocate against the unjust laws.

Whilst taking advantage of the union boss scandal to push the legislation through.

discrider on
    Yeah, I think I'm done with the Labor Party. Like their British counterparts, it's seeming clear that they're more interested in winning than having any real principle whatsoever.

Being LNP-lite isn't going to get my vote. I'll still put them above the conservative parties and the whargobblers (Anning, Hansen, Palmer), because I'm not nuts.

Who knows, maybe theres an Australian Jacinda to get people excited? It could happen.

(I dont really understand Jacindamania but hey, if it gets votes)

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'm done with the Labor Party. Like their British counterparts, it's seeming clear that they're more interested in winning than having any real principle whatsoever.

Being LNP-lite isn't going to get my vote. I'll still put them above the conservative parties and the whargobblers (Anning, Hansen, Palmer), because I'm not nuts.

What!? We've got the opposite problem, more focused on ideological purity and principle than winning.

Tastyfish wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

What!? We've got the opposite problem, more focused on ideological purity and principle than winning.

I was more meaning the duality of both demanding the Tories call an election, despite having no appreciable difference on the single largest policy facing the UK, yet wanting that to be the reason for it.

I'll be honest, not that familiar with the more domestic politics of the UK. So, I'll plead ignorance on the other issues.

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    God I wish we had a Labor leader like Corbyn, or at least one who isn't a spineless centrist dipshit

Gotta love Morrison just coming right out with his prosperity-gospel "if you earn more, you're better" beliefs. Tracks very well with the teachings of *checks notes*... Jesus Christ, son of God and itinerant carpenter.

I wanna post about NZ politics but its not terribly interesting.

At the moment the government (Labour) is stuck. NZ First is a thorn in their side. Its why the government (Labour) has made so much noise about wanting to work with National. They dont need to work with National if they have a majority. But their majority relies on NZF working with them.

The big news at the moment is Ihumātao. Its pretty interesting. Im not sure how itll all shake out. You can see why the Govt (Labour/NZF) dont want to touch it with a ten foot pole. People want to compare this to Bastion Point but i think the differences between this and that will mean we'll see a different outcome.

And not really politics but Im excited to see that Peter Ellis is getting a chance at having his convictions overturned before he dies. Will he succeed? Probably not. But i hope he does.

Something to look forward to:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/bridges-says-hell-run-down-queen-st-in-underpants-if-govt-starts-work-auckland-light-rail-project-before-election?auto=6067252137001
    The construction industry is calling on central and local Government to provide more certainty about future projects.

Simon Bridges has used that to criticise Labour for cancelling a number of major road projects National had in the pipeline.

He says Transport Minister Phil Tywford has vowed to have work on light rail down Auckland's Dominion Road by next year's election.

"Mate, I'll run down Queen St or Dominion Road with my underpants if they do that, because it's just not going to happen. They might do a fake start but they aren't building that any time soon," he told a construction forum in Rotorua today.

"If they don't have a business case yet, they are dreaming, it's years and years away."

Mr Twyford says that makes him more motivated.

"The public do not deserve to be exposed to that kind of spectacle," he told 1 NEWS.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/bridges-says-hell-run-down-queen-st-in-underpants-if-govt-starts-work-auckland-light-rail-project-before-election?auto=6067252137001
    The construction industry is calling on central and local Government to provide more certainty about future projects.

Simon Bridges has used that to criticise Labour for cancelling a number of major road projects National had in the pipeline.

He says Transport Minister Phil Tywford has vowed to have work on light rail down Auckland's Dominion Road by next year's election.

"Mate, I'll run down Queen St or Dominion Road with my underpants if they do that, because it's just not going to happen. They might do a fake start but they aren't building that any time soon," he told a construction forum in Rotorua today.

"If they don't have a business case yet, they are dreaming, it's years and years away."

"The public do not deserve to be exposed to that kind of spectacle," he told 1 NEWS.

Hopefully he gets by one of his precious cars as he's doing that.

Auckland doesn't need more traffic.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

Off topic but my dyslexic brain misread part of the url as "bridges-says-he'll-run-down-queen-in-street", and kept expecting to see something in the article about him going to prison.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
This discussion has been closed.