As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sean's going to stream and reminisce about Geoff today if anyone wants to commiserate.

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I can't believe it.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I slept like shit last night and woke hoping this was all a shitty dream. It obviously wasn't :( Trying to drag myself to work now. It feels weird to be this upset about someone I barely met, but somehow still felt like I knew.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I slept like shit last night and woke hoping this was all a shitty dream. It obviously wasn't :( Trying to drag myself to work now. It feels weird to be this upset about someone I barely met, but somehow still felt like I knew.

Echoing this sentiment hard. Having to explain why someone I never met personally was so important while it being so fresh is... difficult to say the least.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just a morning thought, but would anyone be interested in holding a RitB-style memorial tournament with all proceeds going to his charity?

Unless that feels uncool or tacky, which I 100% understand. If not, I’m all-in on organizing the team and event with any volunteers we can get.

I haven't played StarCraft in years but you bet I would donate to this hands down

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Just a morning thought, but would anyone be interested in holding a RitB-style memorial tournament with all proceeds going to his charity?

Unless that feels uncool or tacky, which I 100% understand. If not, I’m all-in on organizing the team and event with any volunteers we can get.

I can't play Starcraft for shit, but I'd definitely throw money at this.

Edit: I know this kind of thing needs volunteers and stuff too, not just money. I don't think I have any skills that translate to helping with this kind of event, but if at some point there's a list of "shit we need people to do" I'll try my best to find something to help with.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

I can't play Starcraft for shit, but I'd definitely throw money at this.

Edit: I know this kind of thing needs volunteers and stuff too, not just money. I don't think I have any skills that translate to helping with this kind of event, but if at some point there's a list of "shit we need people to do" I'll try my best to find something to help with.

Likewise. I haven’t crafted stars in ages but I would love to help out however I can.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My internet and PC are probably good enough to stream SC2 for this purpose.

I would definitely participate, both as a player and donator. I am also Very Bad (tm) at StarCraft, but that's not really the point.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty upset. Geoff was a fixture in my entertainment rotation. He had a very similar world view to me and it just clicked.

I met him once, at PAX West 2013. I was standing in line for coffee and I looked up and there was Geoff and the entire Evil Geniuses team. It was kind of a weird star struck moment, but he was super cool. Immediately made me feel comfortable talking to him. He gave me an EG shirt, which is signed and I still have it in my drawer.

I recently started to dip my toe in to competitive 40K, and I had this hope one day to play him at a big tournament. Despite only meeting him once, and only interacting with him a few times in stream chat, his voice, laugh and humor were such a part of my life. I'm pretty shattered about this.

he was at a paxeast I went to and I played Machine in frfont of a small crowd while he commentated, where they kept having Machine alt tab to make it 'fair' and I got demolished. wasn't really a personal type interaction but I super looked up to him at the time, still do, and the moment he said I was dressed like alfred hitchcock and made @mmmig laugh at me I'll never forget

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Day9's watching clips and reminiscing about Geoff on his stream right now if anybody wants to tune in.

vRyue2p.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Day9's watching clips and reminiscing about Geoff on his stream right now if anybody wants to tune in.

I wish I wasn't working right now. Might try to tune in later if he's still doing it.

Do we have any idea what caused this? Geoff and John Bain were some of my absolute favorite casters, and I would set up watch parties for ShoutCraft Kings tourneys. Feels horrible they're both gone...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Read something about a staph infection but haven't confirmed anything

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    Here's a nice compilation of some of the statements people in the Starcraft and gaming community have been saying about Geoff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/cg87r1/thoughts_and_reactions_from_prominent_starcraft/

vRyue2p.png
    edited July 2019
    MMMig wrote: »

His family has only confirmed suddenly illness, but staph infection seems a plausible cause. Especially if it was antibiotic resistant. Super sad, such a bright light gone so soon to something so silly (if it's true).

e: Watching this Day9 video is hard. I don't want to cry at work :(

GnomeTank on
    MMMig wrote: »

His family has only confirmed suddenly illness, but staph infection seems a plausible cause. Especially if it was antibiotic resistant. Super sad, such a bright light gone so soon to something so silly (if it's true).

e: Watching this Day9 video is hard. I don't want to cry at work :(

It gets really rough at the end, man, just a warning.

vRyue2p.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Sorry for the sad bump, folks.

iNcontrol has passed away.

Fucking what. This is awful. I haven’t played SC in years but he was one of the first guys I latched onto to learn the game. He was funny and good natured. He toyed around with interesting builds. His podcast was a treat.

This is horrible for his family, horrible for the community. I am really really upset about this.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    :(

Sean's VOD from today is important and good but it is some rough watching if you are already struggling with this, friends.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

I think that's a really good idea and I think you could get a lot of support from community figures who remember the original Rumble events and how much Geoff supported them.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    In case someone wants to watch it.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Oh Jeez, that's terrible. I didn't follow Starcraft religiously, but his commentary was always a joy to listen to.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

To offer some solace in this time of grief: We've learned that Geoff passed quickly and painlessly from a blood clot in his lungs. He was with friends. He always urged and led us by example to take care of ourselves to the best of our ability. Remember to do that for him today.

Pulmonary embolism. Thankfully we can know that it was something that goes quickly, at least.

liEt3nH.png
    At least it was something quick, but fuck, he's so young.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A friend of mine survived two near fatal two clots.

The first was when he was 28 and it went to his kidney and shut it down (the kidney recovered). They determined that the clot came from a whole in his heart, so they cracked his chest open to do surgery. We thought he would be fine after that close call.

The second was this year at the age of 43 when another clot went to his lungs. He was driving home and was at a campsite heading to the bathroom. He passed out and woke up on the ground about 15 minutes later. Apparently the clot messed up his oxygen intake and he was lucky it wasn't fatal. He called 911 and got to the hospital where he stayed on blood thinners for a few days. After this clot, he's decided a life of blood thinner medication is probably a good idea.

If either clot had gone to his femoral artery, then the clot would have stopped blood to the brain. It's some scary shit.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I think that's a really good idea and I think you could get a lot of support from community figures who remember the original Rumble events and how much Geoff supported them.

I've been wavering back-and-forth on it all day, but all the support here has me leaning towards at least looking into it. Where would I go to look into drumming this up? Is Reddit the SC2 place? Is TL still a thing?

If you all don't mind, can we send out some feelers and see if anyone else would like to get behind this?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think perhaps the way to go about this would be to get the infrastructure (site, rough date, etc.) figured out, along with the charity figured out (SoCal Bulldog rescue may be the appropriate venue, given the wishes of his family).

TL still exists, dunno where most of the community currently exists. Who here still plays regularly?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    @MNC Dover I can't be as involved as I was for the rumble events due to life at the moment, but I do still have a lot of contact info (TLO, Dimaga, TL then-team lead, Anna, etc. etc.).

I can help out in some way in that regard and maybe some other stuff.

Also, @rts (who was part of the rumble team) was able to find an old charicature we used for one of the events. It's one of my favourite things in life and is a good remembrance of Geoff for me.

7w1loo6usfry.png

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

I didn't know InControl or follow him, but I'm a big fan of Sean. He's a great person and has an amazing Twitch community. God damn, it's really hard to watch. Been going like 15 minutes of him struggling to talk and he's just now jumping into clips.

That caricature is magnificent. Do we know who drew it?

vRyue2p.png
    It was our very own @rts

He did a ton of the art assets for the various rumbles, among a million other things, including the new stream overlays which Blizz eventually adopted as standard in-game

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Oh! Awesome work, rts!

vRyue2p.png
    Eventually got him hired at Blizzard, too.

I didn't know InControl or follow him, but I'm a big fan of Sean. He's a great person and has an amazing Twitch community. God damn, it's really hard to watch. Been going like 15 minutes of him struggling to talk and he's just now jumping into clips.

I got about halfway through it yesterday and had to stop. My heart was breaking for Sean.

@MNC Dover are the vods for the rumble(s) in the bronze available somewhere? I would really like to go back and watch some of them because they were hilarious.

It just seems like a good way to honor a guy I didn’t know, but supplied me with lots of joy.

@MNC Dover are the vods for the rumble(s) in the bronze available somewhere? I would really like to go back and watch some of them because they were hilarious.

It just seems like a good way to honor a guy I didn’t know, but supplied me with lots of joy.

I looked but couldn't find them anywhere. They were hosted on Blip.tv back when and the site is long dead. Unless someone was recording them live, I fear they are gone for good.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited July 2019
    Ya, even the ones afterwards we did on twitch are gone.

Rumble 1
    Rumble 2
    Rumble: End of Liberty

Geoff was part of all of them. Anna, TLO, Dimaga, Axslav, joined for the subsequent ones.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra

I looked but couldn't find them anywhere. They were hosted on Blip.tv back when and the site is long dead. Unless someone was recording them live, I fear they are gone for good.

I figured. It's a shame, but at least we have good memories. I like the idea of doing an honorary RITB, but I'm so far removed from the game at this point I'd just watch live if possible and donate.

edited July 2019
    ed: ummm...

Protoss OP

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    I am such a digital hoarder, that not only do I have the VOD for the Rumble I was involved with (#2) I have a bunch of stuff no one would expect anyone to have. Check these out.

Here's the event on the front of twitch.tv
    k1ull8s0k9sa.png

The top games that day were StarCraft and Heroes of Newerth, hah. League of Legends top stream had 343 viewiers! StarCraft had multiple streams with 5k~. SIGH.

This is the stream in progress. It topped out just over 5k.
    vnmhaakqazni.png

Twitter feed - including the FoxTrot creator (awesome) and Riot Games PR. A bunch of people from this thread did a good job of poking people around the internet.
    gngqjyt3gp85.png

I took text snapshots from the twitch chat at the time, this was after we revealed a game where the players would randomly switch sides throughout the match.

Theeldar: inc can control the swapping hahah
    Vv0vv: lol hilarious
    Macis: `wtf
    Aphirefly: next goal: 10k
    Hansmuff: Rawberryish every penny counts
    Zappymong: oh god
    Akagaming: OH MY GOD
    Anyport313: WHAT
    Canadianbrit22: lololol
    Daredhead: LOLOLOLOL
    Zappymong: this is going to be great
    Johnnywup: ahahhaha
    Jajoombal: holy *** this sounds awesome :L
    Hkglfmdn: wtf
    Akagaming: This is amazing
    Rozero1234: wow, this is gonna be awesome
    Gosuprime: lol troll map
    Older20: lolol
    Daredhead: This is gonna be AMAZINGGGGGG
    The_blue_falcon: this is going tobe epic
    Akagaming: this is AMAAAZINGGG
    D_sledge: Sounds *** awesome.
    Danderumz: LOLOLOL
    Thechengboy: 3k mark ting ting ting!!
    Mcardmtbr: FOURTHOUSAND
    Wheeler1234: hangman what do you think
    Hacksr4theweak: haha best map ever
    Older20: lolol
    Daredhead: This is gonna be AMAZINGGGGGG
    The_blue_falcon: this is going tobe epic
    Lavitzboss: ROFL
    Geologitize: oh my word
    Canadianbrit22: incontrol, the best troll ever
    Coodude67: lol this is awesome

This feels like historically important - people on twitch didn't used to talk in emotes!

Top of SC/Reddit:
    vfc9w00k54v2.png

This was a little after party we did on a mumble server:
    hx0bau81a5a0.png

Kind of a funny thing to take a photo of but it kept the memory. iNcontroL and his at the time partner, Anna Prosser (who was in the show) came and talked shop after the thing. He was pretty dang encouraging and even well after the event anytime the team came up again like when the @rts GameHeart overlay was advertised around the community podcasts - he talked about the event team like they were real damn good. He said something like I knew about these people beforehand - I'm a hipster!

The VOD itself is 6 hrs in total so I'll have to figure out how to get it online.