As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

FINAL FANTASY FOURTEEN: tip to toe this is an ardbert

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Also on my docket for this week. I finally plunged into the zodiac weapon chain and got to the books. Who thought this was cool and good to do to a person?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Also on my docket for this week. I finally plunged into the zodiac weapon chain and got to the books. Who thought this was cool and good to do to a person?

It used to be worse

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »

It used to be worse

[Gagging noises intensify]

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the books are the mindkiller

i have achieved 1 zeta and the books are always the wall on the others for me. i cannot imagine the hell people went through to do them as current content

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I'm at the books step myself on WAR. Just started doing the first one and NOPE'd out of that right quick.

steam_sig.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Books were the worst. Effen FATE waiting bastards.

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    So, MCH is all sorts of fun at level 50-51. Good flow, lots of buttons that do useful things. The old version of the class was really weird, with the inconsistent procs and, from what I read, the Gauss Barrel ability. This just feels so much cleaner compared to before. The main weaponskill combo feels a bit weak, but that may just be because I'm too used to SAM. But otherwise it's fun, and having complete freedom of movement is refreshing.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I really wish it did not feel like everyone was in a constant hurry.
    Is it really such a terrible thing if the run takes 5 minutes longer?
    When i'm a healer, the tanks insist on running as fast as possible and pulling as much possible with no care on my ability to heal the amount of damage they take, or even if i am within the same zip code.
    When i'm a tank, dps keeps running ahead of me to next group of enemies, possibly even when i am already tanking another group.

Generally, community seems pretty decent, people don't whine about wipes or deaths, there's little to no loot drama, and i know i have no profanity filter on but frankly i probably could not tell the difference if it was.
    But dungeons, feel less like dungeons and more like a race track.

Nyysjan on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    lol but why would you ever level a healer

You want faster queues, or you want to get a ton of commendations, or you do not yet have a drinking problem and would like to develop one. Plenty of reasons.

I like Tank or Heal roles far more than I like DPS. It's just more fun to me to play those than just straight damage dealing.

I'd love to try a Healer but I play on PS4 and I just can't visualise how selecting and healing / buffing party members would work fluidly on controller with everything going on. I already struggle with selecting the correct enemy to beat on and find it to be an inelegant and frustrating experience on console.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    lol but why would you ever level a healer

You want faster queues, or you want to get a ton of commendations, or you do not yet have a drinking problem and would like to develop one. Plenty of reasons.

I like Tank or Heal roles far more than I like DPS. It's just more fun to me to play those than just straight damage dealing.

I'd love to try a Healer but I play on PS4 and I just can't visualise how selecting and healing / buffing party members would work fluidly on controller with everything going on. I already struggle with selecting the correct enemy to beat on and find it to be an inelegant and frustrating experience on console.

You get used to it and then stop thinking about it.

D pad targeting is actually much better for allies than for enemies.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    So I have my healing abilities on L2+Dpad. Up/down on the Dpad cycles through party members, so for example to Cure my tank, my combo is Down, Down, L2+Down. It works really well.

Also L1+Up/Down cycles through the enemy list.

Also also, I bound "assist target" to L3. This allows me to select my tank, hit L3, and I'm focusing what they're focusing. Less important maybe for healers, but a lifesaver as a DPS.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    When i'm a healer, the tanks insist on running as fast as possible and pulling as much possible with no care on my ability to heal the amount of damage they take, or even if i am within the same zip code.
    When i'm a tank, dps keeps running ahead of me to next group of enemies, possibly even when i am already tanking another group.

Generally, community seems pretty decent, people don't whine about wipes or deaths, there's little to no loot drama, and i know i have no profanity filter on but frankly i probably could not tell the difference if it was.

tbh, when I tank I use the first pulls to gauge how competent the group is before going lets pull everything. Also...the Twinning song doesn't help.

Also...I thought I was a bad healer. Then I realized that nope, I had crappy groups all along. Last night I did a leveling roulette and a trial as a WHM and it went super well. I just have a question. For regular dungeoning, is it Medica 2 > Medica > Cure 3?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg

tbh, when I tank I use the first pulls to gauge how competent the group is before going lets pull everything. Also...the Twinning song doesn't help.

Also...I thought I was a bad healer. Then I realized that nope, I had crappy groups all along. Last night I did a leveling roulette and a trial as a WHM and it went super well. I just have a question. For regular dungeoning, is it Medica 2 > Medica > Cure 3?

Never Cure 3. Its less potent than cure 2 but has an AOE. So for dungeons its pretty useless.

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    McMoogle wrote: »

Never Cure 3. Its less potent than cure 2 but has an AOE. So for dungeons its pretty useless.

pretty much, Cure 3 has uses in dealing with stack mechanics since the party is already well-concentrated but it's not likely to hit multiple people outside of that.

For WHM healing, my go-to is keep Regen on the tank. Use Medica 2 to deal with the first party-wide damage and let the medica 2 regen ticks to bring the group up. Assize is used on cooldown on trash, or kept in reserve until a boss room-wide damage cast (it can be used in place of Medica 2 on the first party aoe)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    the only thing I worry...keep in mind I'm 54 right now but it looks like I barely have any chance to dps during a regular dungeon.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    the only thing I worry...keep in mind I'm 54 right now but it looks like I barely have any chance to dps during a regular dungeon.

You get more instant heals and off-global-cooldown heals at the higher levels, so it becomes much easier.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular

I generally enjoy tanking in mmo's. I picked a warrior for my first foray into FF. Tanking for pugs was infuriating. I now pretty much stick to ranged dps and stay positioned between the tank and healer. Being ranged makes it much easier to enjoy a beer while adventuring!

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

If you're doing legacy content (1-70 content) for the first time, be aware that the vast majority of the player base hasn't just cleared it multiple times, but that they also likely have synched gear to the highest allowable iLevel for that content. People are grinding them for alt job EXP/tomes/glamours and want it to go as fast as possible. And with the gear and experience, they generally can clear it quickly.

Doesn't mean it's entirely fair if the content is new to you, but it does describe what's going on. I've found it helpful to tell PUGs whether or not I'm new to particular content, or what my skill/expectations are during the "wait for the dungeon timer to start" phase. Communication is key, and if you're not comfortable with big pulls, say so.

edited July 2019
    I much prefer to play tank because I can set the pace and I know my own skill, I don't have that confidence of a random player. Single pulls on trash is also vastly slower and feels way too easy.

It's really the same with healing, I like healing and it's so fun when I can trust the tank. It's faster to do double-pulls in every instance past level 30. How much faster does depend on the dungeon level and party-comp. Single pulls are boring to heal. Either the dungeon is really low level and there's not enough incoming damage to hardly need to heal and I'm stuck spamming my single-target damage or I have the oGCD tools to heal just with those abilities and I'm spamming my aoe damage move on fewer targets than I (and the DPS) could be if the tank were double-pulling; which is gonna slow down the run significantly.

If I'm DPS, I'm at the mercy of a random tank and random healer to set/maintain the dungeon pace. DPS is fun too, don't get me wrong but it's not as fun to me as tank or healer. I also don't play the DPS role in dungeon content as much as tank or healer, so I'm less confident in my skills in the role.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

For AOE: Cure 3 is the best mp/potency, but small range. Med 2 is next, then med 1.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Zodiac weapon (started like 2 years ago, I think) is done!
    hv1dpaq6cz86.png

I actually did the victory lap trials too, but wasn't quick enough to get a good screenshot of the Lux version. I actually had to unlock the Containment Unit trials for the first time, since I didn't do them when they were first released. Surprisingly interesting story elements there (which I think might tie into Shadowbringers? I haven't started on Shadowbringers yet, still trying to get through the end of Stormblood.)

So, to move onto my next long term project, how crazy long/difficult is the Stormblood Zodiac-esque weapon to do solo? I know it has to do with this Eureka island, which I just unlocked, but haven't read anything else about it.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

For AOE: Cure 3 is the best mp/potency, but small range. Med 2 is next, then med 1.

Med 1 has higher instant potency, though, which is where its niche is, if you need large aoe heals and can't wait for the medica 2 regen. Generally I'll do an assize or whatever that lily aoe heal is if I've got it and don't need it as a single for a tank, then a medica 2, and if everyone still kinda low or taking damage, a medica 1, and let the medica 2 regen close it out.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    hv1dpaq6cz86.png

I actually did the victory lap trials too, but wasn't quick enough to get a good screenshot of the Lux version. I actually had to unlock the Containment Unit trials for the first time, since I didn't do them when they were first released. Surprisingly interesting story elements there (which I think might tie into Shadowbringers? I haven't started on Shadowbringers yet, still trying to get through the end of Stormblood.)

So, to move onto my next long term project, how crazy long/difficult is the Stormblood Zodiac-esque weapon to do solo? I know it has to do with this Eureka island, which I just unlocked, but haven't read anything else about it.

So right now Eureka is going to be real tough to get going in, everyone is still doing newer content so last I heard it's pretty dead in there. Assuming the playerbase hasn't suddenly changed overnight, people will still eventually get back to that so it's a short term concern, but Eureka is definitely more of a slog if less people are doing it. Certain parts scale with number of players, but there's other factors that require people to be fairly active in an instance, so while not impossible with a smaller crowd it does mean it'll likely take longer.

Personally? By the end of Eureka I really enjoyed what it offers. It switches things up a bit and was fun to sit and hang out with people in there. With that being said, the first two Eureka zones don't really offer anything too new (imagine FATE grinding with the risk of deleveling) and it's not till after that do they start introducing somewhat interesting mechanics. If you can make it through the first two parts it'll likely be smooth sailing. I would also argue that the 4th and final area of Eureka is almost like a victory lap itself, definitely the easiest of the zones to navigate.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Med 1 has higher instant potency, though, which is where its niche is, if you need large aoe heals and can't wait for the medica 2 regen. Generally I'll do an assize or whatever that lily aoe heal is if I've got it and don't need it as a single for a tank, then a medica 2, and if everyone still kinda low or taking damage, a medica 1, and let the medica 2 regen close it out.

Basically your white mage AOE healing button priority list is Assize > Afflatus Rapture (once you finally get that in the 70s) > Medica 2 > Medica 1
    Cure 3 is only ever worth using right as a stack-up damage split move hits the whole group, when everyone's standing together in one spot. But it's the highest AOE healing per second you can do in that situation.
    The Medicas and Cure 3 are very MP hungry so you want to use your other spells first, both because they're free and instant cast, and because they have cooldowns and you want to use them as many times as possible over a fight for maximum MP efficiency. At 80 you can sort of think of all the non-free spells as your backup for when regen isn't keepnig up with the incoming damage and you've run out of free cooldown spells and lily charges.

Also remember to use Plenary Indulgence before doing Afflatus Rapture/Medica/Cure 3 spam, it really kicks the potency of those spells up.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    hv1dpaq6cz86.png

So right now Eureka is going to be real tough to get going in, everyone is still doing newer content so last I heard it's pretty dead in there. Assuming the playerbase hasn't suddenly changed overnight, people will still eventually get back to that so it's a short term concern, but Eureka is definitely more of a slog if less people are doing it. Certain parts scale with number of players, but there's other factors that require people to be fairly active in an instance, so while not impossible with a smaller crowd it does mean it'll likely take longer.

Personally? By the end of Eureka I really enjoyed what it offers. It switches things up a bit and was fun to sit and hang out with people in there. With that being said, the first two Eureka zones don't really offer anything too new (imagine FATE grinding with the risk of deleveling) and it's not till after that do they start introducing somewhat interesting mechanics. If you can make it through the first two parts it'll likely be smooth sailing. I would also argue that the 4th and final area of Eureka is almost like a victory lap itself, definitely the easiest of the zones to navigate.

Starting the 2nd part is just sooooo demoralizing after spending so long leveling up the 1st part and being dumped back to level 1. That's where I quit out. I should get back to it eventually.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    hv1dpaq6cz86.png

Starting the 2nd part is just sooooo demoralizing after spending so long leveling up the 1st part and being dumped back to level 1. That's where I quit out. I should get back to it eventually.

Yeah, that happens in the 3rd and 4th areas too which is definitely a big oof. Luckily, they have a completely new mechanic (Logos Actions) and are generally better thought out so you don't get a repeat of early Pagos which is just frustrating to navigate in addition to being at the bottom of the food chain again.

I hated Eureka so much because the NM monster train was the most efficient method to level but that's just boring to do.

And it still annoys me that it's practically impossible to play with friends, where everyone, gets good use of the time if they're a different level than you inside Eureka.

So I could either sit out on a hunt train and hope I don't die while gaining levels pretty slow, grind mobs 1 by 1 on my own, or just not enter the zone.

I chose option 3.

steam_sig.png
    I hated Eureka so much because the NM monster train was the most efficient method to level but that's just boring to do.

And it still annoys me that it's practically impossible to play with friends, where everyone, gets good use of the time if they're a different level than you inside Eureka.

So I could either sit out on a hunt train and hope I don't die while gaining levels pretty slow, grind mobs 1 by 1 on my own, or just not enter the zone.

I chose option 3.

I have to do it because there are triple triad cards locked behind it :<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I chose option 3.

Once you get to Pyros/Hydatos, you can more effectively level solo using reflect farming.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited July 2019

I chose option 3.

Once you get to Pyros/Hydatos, you can more effectively level solo using reflect farming.

That’s great. But I was level 14 in Anemos. So I’m not gonna go through all the Eureka content in-between just so I can level solo again.

Not for a long time, if ever.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

I chose option 3.

What?

Those FUCKERS

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think I'd be more okay with it if it wasn't also level locked to 70 skills and stats in addition to this elemental level shtick. There's no need for that at this point.

Ilpala wrote: »

I chose option 3.

What?

Those FUCKERS

Card-carrying villains, the lot of them.

steam_sig.png
  • IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

I chose option 3.

What?

Those FUCKERS

Card-carrying villains, the lot of them.

They need to stop carrying their cards and give them to me! This goes for all card-carrying NPCs, fuck your 1% drop rates!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin

I chose option 3.

What?

Those FUCKERS

I think there are like 3 or 4 that are Eureka fate based and maybe a couple more that are locked behind NPC's that you can't duel until you get sufficiently far (or complete?) Eureka. I think all but one of the fate based ones also drop from the NPC's, but you gotta do Eureka either way.

Also cards locked behind crafting/gathering beast tribes and finishing palace of the dead and heaven-on-high, so I've gotta do all of them :|

After that, it's just dungeon/trial/raid drops for my last ones.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'll admit that the original grind of the Atma weapon played a part in me quitting years ago. I still have a bunch of Atmas and other materials for the quest in my bags that I still haven't deleted because of how many hours it took me to the ones that did drop for me. At this point I'm never ever going to grind through the entire quest line so I might as well just delete them and free up the space.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    You fools with the triad sickeness have my sympathies.

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    You fools with the triad sickeness have my sympathies.

I'm so close! I'm at like 226 out of like 260 something.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I wrote it up before in this thread but I love Eureka cuz it's so chill. FFXI vibes and all. Unlike that dungeon rush, you have a chance to like make small talk. I loved the train. And call me a madman but if the next relic grind is Diadem 3.0 / Eureka 2.0 I'm all for it. Anything but FATE Farming please.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm in the post-Stormblood MSQ. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Soon, I can finally PLAY THE GAME!

Steam: Spawnbroker
This discussion has been closed.