As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    I would love to see Seth moderate an actual Democratic debate.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Heck, most of the more politically charged hosts could probably do a great job. Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and Jon Stewart, have all shown when it comes down to it, they can be serious on subject matter as much as any news pundit.

And I'd take Conan or either Jimmy, over f'n Chuck Todd. I don't mind Chuck so much in a one-on-one interview situation, but he was fucking godawful in the debates, and should not be invited back again.

"Who is the geopolitical threat to the United States?" should not, and cannot be answered with one word, and is frankly a disservice to the candidates to ask.

Fuck off, Chuckles. The point of a debate should be to EXPAND the public's knowledge of a candidate's position on complex subjects. Not shrink it. It's hard enough with the stupid debate rules as they are.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Heck, most of the more politically charged hosts could probably do a great job. Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and Jon Stewart, have all shown when it comes down to it, they can be serious on subject matter as much as any news pundit.

And I'd take Conan or either Jimmy, over f'n Chuck Todd. I don't mind Chuck so much in a one-on-one interview situation, but he was fucking godawful in the debates, and should not be invited back again.

"Who is the geopolitical threat to the United States?" should not, and cannot be answered with one word, and is frankly a disservice to the candidates to ask.

Fuck off, Chuckles. The point of a debate should be to EXPAND the public's knowledge of a candidate's position on complex subjects. Not shrink it. It's hard enough with the stupid debate rules as they are.

I would take Lindsay Graham as the moderator of a Democratic debate over Chuck Todd.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/a_DzUr175_0

Best late night show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Seth day drinking with Rhianna is now my all time favorite late night clip.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I would like a Day Drinking segment with Tom Waits

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Seth day drinking with Rhianna is now my all time favorite late night clip.

Did it blow you away?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I was surprised by the whole deva group thing they pulled off.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Chuck Todd lives his boyhood dream of running away to the circus only to find out it's a bunch of clowns

Brainleech on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Police in Utah recently responded to a report of a burglary in progress and instead found a turkey had broken through a window. Which just proves that turkey burglars aren't as good as regular burglars."

It took me a few seconds but then I started laughing my ass off. Good job to whoever came up with that joke on Seth Meyers.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    THIS IS THE KIND OF STORY WE NEED RIGHT NOW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefGGTgCKfg

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O44FwibjNa8

Really this is alarming
    There is nothing wrong with being conservative but the ride or die republicans is bad

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    god, that is awful. And so much for the argument that you just have to wait for the old ones to die off for some progress.

• Options
    I kinda don't like how Colbert is making jokes about the horrible thing without directly spoken reminders that the shit is horrible and needs to stop.

• Options
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Well, at least the turning point USA thing gave us this
    https://youtu.be/0kwjRLxwmj8

• Options
    Wow, that’s not even subtle either!

How’s that very large, uh, brain working out for ya?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It's someone being lazy, they looked up "Trump's presidential seal" and didn't realize people had made mocking ones.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I don't disagree with him

But at the same time he doesn't address at all that the constitution doesn't require the senate to act on articles of impeachment nor does it have an answer for more than 1/3 of the senate being comprised of craven assholes.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's someone being lazy, they looked up "Trump's presidential seal" and didn't realize people had made mocking ones.
    Shit, I was going to run a test and just ran a Google Image Search for "presidential seal" but EVERY result is this situation / comparisons.

Edit - But yeah maybe someone just GIS'd it prior to this news breaking and put it in the presentation without thinking about it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    Shit, I was going to run a test and just ran a Google Image Search for "presidential seal" but EVERY result is this situation / comparisons.

Edit - But yeah maybe someone just GIS'd it prior to this news breaking and put it in the presentation without thinking about it.

Nope, not what happened. The guy who made the seal said it was definitely on purpose in an AMA on reddit. You can't even find the thing accidentally on your own, s'what he said.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/chw6cf/i_am_the_guy_who_created_the_altered_presidential/

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    First I heard about this was an article on the Washington Post. Looks like that's where the video is from.

Holy crap, how could this not be noticed?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/25/meet-man-who-created-fake-presidential-seal-former-republican-fed-up-with-trump/?utm_term=.2723a2760a4a

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    First I heard about this was an article on the Washington Post. Looks like that's where the video is from.

Holy crap, how could this not be noticed?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/07/25/meet-man-who-created-fake-presidential-seal-former-republican-fed-up-with-trump/?utm_term=.2723a2760a4a

Cause incompetence surrounds this President like pettiness and corruption?

• Options
    You’re telling me the stable genius with the very large uh-brain can’t pick the best people?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Well this wasn't him, it was the turning points USA folks who are the same grand genius's who dressed up in diapers to say colleges treat students like babies.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well this wasn't him, it was the turning points USA folks who are the same grand genius's who dressed up in diapers to say colleges treat students like babies.

There’s a correlation though. Trump attracts people that are either like him or sycophants willing to suck up, very few in that circle seem detail oriented IMO.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I find it mostly humorous that none of the dozens of staff and protection around the President noticed it. I'm willing to bet some of the Secret Service did, but let it slide.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    No-one wanted to point out the Emperor had no clothes.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

I don't disagree with him

But at the same time he doesn't address at all that the constitution doesn't require the senate to act on articles of impeachment nor does it have an answer for more than 1/3 of the senate being comprised of craven assholes.

SCOTUS takes over the Senate when the President is the one facing impeachment. And while John Roberts might be a partisan hack, he's a partisan hack who makes the effort to not look like one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So shout outs to Seth Meyers; he had Hunter Schafer on, a trans actor who really has only just gotten started in acting in TV with this show Euphoria (I know nothing about it). He just... interviewed her and had fun. There was no making-a-spectacle of her being trans and such. People still put too much of a focus on that when it comes to trans actors, often to the point that it's all they interview them about, and he didn't do that whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI_O7_CoW14

• Options
    Hey so, prisons in America suck complete and total ass. Specifically prison labor. Boy, Kamala Harris, you sure can fuck right off for chasing to fuel this shit. California is specifically covered in this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjqaNQ018zU

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    This thread is not an extension of the primary thread. By all means discuss the video, but I don't believe Harris is named in it for her "chasing to fuel this shit", whatever that means, so it kinda feels like you're dragging her into it to rant about her primary campaign.

• Options
    People should enjoy this; Seth Meyers put the New York Times on blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT3cKP89CQ

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I had no idea the Guinness Book of World Records operated as it did. They've been cozying up to authoritarians and corporations to provide promotion via made-up bullshit records in exchange for a fuck-load of money.

I was going to be okay with Oliver just highlighting a nutjob being nutty but when it became a piece putting GWR on blast it got even better.

Edit - Oh hey they actually complained about the piece on the internet. Y'know, the biggest mistake any organization can do about a comedy driven show.

Henroid on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Here's the Last Week Tonight segment in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9QYu8LtH2E

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Huh, I'll have to keep an eye on LWT

For the entire last week the episode couldn't be viewed on Amazon Prime even with an HBO subscription. That episode can be watched now but it's not even showing the 08/11 episode existing.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

For the entire last week the episode couldn't be viewed on Amazon Prime even with an HBO subscription. That episode can be watched now but it's not even showing the 08/11 episode existing.

I have hbonordic (since I'm in Norway), and it doesn't get lwt until Tuesday or sometimes Wednesday for whatever crazy reason.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

I have hbonordic (since I'm in Norway), and it doesn't get lwt until Tuesday or sometimes Wednesday for whatever crazy reason.

My guess would be that it takes that long to get the subtitles done.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    I had no idea the Guinness Book of World Records operated as it did. They've been cozying up to authoritarians and corporations to provide promotion via made-up bullshit records in exchange for a fuck-load of money.

I was going to be okay with Oliver just highlighting a nutjob being nutty but when it became a piece putting GWR on blast it got even better.

Edit - Oh hey they actually complained about the piece on the internet. Y'know, the biggest mistake any organization can do about a comedy driven show.

I was about 8 minutes into the segment when I opened this thread, and this post made me go WTF. Especially the following post linking to the video.

I was not disappointed. well... I was disappointed in Guiness, but I had a grin on my face for the last few minutes.