As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Esiotrot - learning how to paint digitally (NSFW)

EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Artist's Corner
Hello,

I've never really been one for painting much, the vast majority of my work is pencils and paper and from my imagination, but, I want to break this rut and push into digital painting and painting in general. I'm going to try and do a bunch of studies and post them here for your critiques so I can improve.

I will be working mainly with procreate on an iPad Pro.

u8ckdf1nxbe2.jpg
30 mins
5yfo2r1ly93e.jpg
pxlwyu9jk833.jpg
1 hr
from comparing this one to the ref I can see that his right eye (our left) the bridge ends too high up his face, should be connecting back with the cheek roughly where the nose also intersects. His other eye is too large and too low down, should be tilted a bit differently as well. His neck is too thin and at the wrong angle, his brows are both too high, his septum attaches too far in, should have a more gradient slope from the philtrum to the tip of his nose. the Tubercle of the lip is incorrect but not by a huge amount. His ear is way too high up!

Esiotrot on

• Options
    mwc3vhv0yk1v.jpg
    one from last night drawing from imagination this time, more studies this evening, going to aim to do alternating studies then imagination.
    I'm really struggling with this one, really not happy with it at all, it's obviously still very early on but it took me a long time to even get to this point, will probably spend a few more hours on it before banishing it to the depths of hell never to be thought of ever again.

• Options
    also he has a horrible wonky sword, I'm terrible at drawing weapons

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I regularly toss paintings so I know the struggle is real. If you are just entering digital painting for the first time, I think the hardest thing to wrestle with is the endless amount of options you have in terms of approach. You can open a canvas and literally do anything and not commit to any one technique, and it can bog you down.

Doing studies in the mix will help, I'm sure. I wouldn't sweat it. If there any digital artists you like with process videos out there, it can help give you more ideas about work flows that might appeal to you.

The short time studies look nice, and I like sword guy too! Are you using procreate?

• Options
    yeah, have been using photoshop before for anything digital (usually just flat colours on my pencil sketches or whatever) but i enjoyed the iPad Pro so i got myself one with procreate, it's really fun but v daunting, been watching some different process videos online, I see what they do, I go to do it on mine and, whoops, looks bad.

• Options
    e038antxqzu8.jpg
    did a bit more painting on this one, mainly just experimenting with stuff.

• Options
    couple artists I'm super into at the moment are João Bragato and Jakub Rebelka

• Options
    k5a2ma1anmb6.jpg
    a duck I drew when hanging out at the loch

• Options
    some graphic design work
    0zog6e57s848.png

• Options
    gbkkv5weq381.jpg

back to painting, trying to work on eyes as I feel I'm not very good at their anatomy

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Esiotrot wrote: »
    some graphic design work
    0zog6e57s848.png

The tracking on that time/place line makes me wildly uncomfortable.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    :(

I thought it looked cool

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Esiotrot wrote: »
    :(

I thought it looked cool

Sorry, I should have made my comment more clear. I dig the idea, I didn't mean that as an insult.
    I think it being the only thing obviously breaking typography rules makes it not as clear that you're doing a thing.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    zz6zc9vssx47.png
    still banging my head against digital painting, slowly though, this is a head from imagination.
    There's something I really hate about it, like it has zero personality and just looks off, I find this a lot that I'm comfortable with my pictures close-ish then when I see a thumbnail I do a big cringe.

Esiotrot on
  • Options
    m61u4rrz2pjg.png
    had another go at this, to try and give it a bit more personality and tried to simplify the rendering

• Options
    edited July 2019
    tkj4tuhge1ga.jpeg
    a bit of an edit
    lmteiw9fmwh6.png

A bit of experimentation

Esiotrot on