As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Oh I long ago stopped caring whether or not the rest of the group waited for me to finish the cut scenes. I'm watching all of them, dammit!

That was my philosophy, but them being in combat caused me to take aoe dmg and thus broke the scene >.<

96058.png?1619393207
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    I'm currently stuck in Post-ARR, Pre-heavensward purgatory.

The story is fine I guess, but there's just a massive amount of filler quests, and I feel like I'm not really even playing the game anymore. I'm just spending 1-2 hours in a row teleporting from point to point and watching cutscenes, and then I get to queue for a dungeon/trial that's finished in about 5-10 minutes, then it's another hour or two of cut scenes/dialogue.

To add to the fun, some of those dungeons have important story-related cut scenes! And my party skips them and begins combat so I have to alt-tab out and youtube the scene afterwards so I can see them. Thanks for putting long video scenes in group content!

That being said I am enjoying it, though I dearly wish my LNC had some AOE :(

You get Doom spike at 40 which is a line AOE.

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

The story is fine I guess, but there's just a massive amount of filler quests, and I feel like I'm not really even playing the game anymore. I'm just spending 1-2 hours in a row teleporting from point to point and watching cutscenes, and then I get to queue for a dungeon/trial that's finished in about 5-10 minutes, then it's another hour or two of cut scenes/dialogue.

To add to the fun, some of those dungeons have important story-related cut scenes! And my party skips them and begins combat so I have to alt-tab out and youtube the scene afterwards so I can see them. Thanks for putting long video scenes in group content!

You can watch every dungeon cutscene in any inn room. There's always a book with a title like "Unending Adventures" or whatnot which is essentially the cutscene viewer.

RE: post-ARR - remember that by that point the dev team was still adding basic features and otherwise making XIV into an actual game. It's not until the midpoint+ of that patch content that they more or less hit their normal patch stride (1-2 new dungeons, a new raid segment (either 24-person or 8-person), some other things) and began to focus on story. It essentially happens once the Crystal Braves arc starts.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

You can watch every dungeon cutscene in any inn room. There's always a book with a title like "Unending Adventures" or whatnot which is essentially the cutscene viewer.

Awesome thanks, didn't realize that was a thing!

96058.png?1619393207

RE: post-ARR - remember that by that point the dev team was still adding basic features and otherwise making XIV into an actual game. It's not until the midpoint+ of that patch content that they more or less hit their normal patch stride (1-2 new dungeons, a new raid segment (either 24-person or 8-person), some other things) and began to focus on story. It essentially happens once the Crystal Braves arc starts.

Well.....most cutscenes. Anything that gets voice acted. I haven't checked in forever, can you see dungeon boss intros?

steam_sig.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

Well.....most cutscenes. Anything that gets voice acted. I haven't checked in forever, can you see dungeon boss intros?

Yes, all Dungeon cutscenes (Intro, Boss Intro, Victory and anything else for the rare ones that have more than those) are in the book. Under the Duty tab I think.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Quick 4.2 thoughts
    I fucking knew that heel turn was coming. I did give Asahi the benefit of the doubt but in my gut I knew it was too convenient, too contrived to not all be a setup of some kind. The guy does have balls for trying to provoke the WoL despite knowing precisely what the WoL is capable of. At least now I'm looking forward to kicking his ass and/or killing him in some duty somewhere in 4.3-4.5+.

Mistakenly clicking on spoilers I knew that Zenos wasn't entirely dead, so that quick scene didn't surprise me I just didn't know when it was going to be revealed. Same for Gosetsu and Yotsuyu also still being alive.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I had the pleasure of kicking someone from my group when I was tanking Toto-Rak for my wife as she goes through the MSQ. They felt the need to jump in and pull the boss, argue that we could three man it, and then call me an idiot.
    Edit: Oh right, and they said you should skip the cutscene and had the nerve to say they were gonna report me.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I hate dipshits who pull the toto-rak boss or coerthas snowy fortress boss while someone is clearly watching the special MSQ cutscene for them. Since I'm usually tanking or healing I'll just let them die. :rotate:

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Even though I'm doing MSQ stuff I've never seen, I skip all but the victory cut scene as a form of social lubricant. I'll go watch them in the inn later. Rarely has one ever been so important I was sad I didn't see it live. Everyone's tolerance to that will vary.

Speaking of MSQ, I'm up to The Final Steps of Faith. Looks like a fun fight. I'll probably queue up for it tonight at some point.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm probably an asshole for taking this stance on cutscenes, but this is my stance:

I play XIV for the story first and foremost, and since Square includes story cutscenes as part of the dungeon experience, I watch them live as they happen. It's not my fault Square puts singleplayer story content into multiplayer dungeons and I'm not doing anything wrong by playing the game the way it was designed.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    As the story gets better, I always figure I can spare a few seconds of my time to allow a new player to enjoy the short cutscenes during their first run through the dungeon. The developers have been pretty good from HW onward to make sure that they don't put lengthy cutscenes mid-dungeon/trial.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm probably an asshole for taking this stance on cutscenes, but this is my stance:

I play XIV for the story first and foremost, and since Square includes story cutscenes as part of the dungeon experience, I watch them live as they happen. It's not my fault Square puts singleplayer story content into multiplayer dungeons and I'm not doing anything wrong by playing the game the way it was designed.

I agree with you and definitely don't think one becomes an asshole because you're watching cutscenes. Hell, I usually take my time to tell them to enjoy the ending when I know they're doing "those" dungeons.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Yeah i think a majority of people actually don't mind if you watch the cutscenes. It's been a long time since i've seen someone get uppity about it in a dungeon or trial.

It still happens for sure, but people are usually chill. Especially if you say something in the beginning.

steam_sig.png
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    DPS pulling for the tank seems to be the big thing lately so far as arguments go. Felt a lot more rare prior to this expac.

I'm not saying I'll shirk the pack onto you, but I would like to pull at Tank and/or Heals level of comfort. Red DPS should play Blue DPS if they want to pull.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    DPS pulling for the tank seems to be the big thing lately so far as arguments go. Felt a lot more rare prior to this expac.

I'm not saying I'll shirk the pack onto you, but I would like to pull at Tank and/or Heals level of comfort. Red DPS should play Blue DPS if they want to pull.

My personal opinion, you get 1.

After that if you’re not a healer pulling a second pack than buddy you’re on your own.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It could be that y'all are seeing more of that in this expansion because there seems to be a lot more WoW refugees right now. And WoW is definitely a go-go-go game these days. Nobody has any patience at all.

Specifically regarding story dungeons in Shadowbringers, it is my own personal opinion that a person's first run through an instance should be done with the Trust system. Bring the Scions with you and make it a true singleplayer story experience. Then after you've experienced the story, feel free to run it to your heart's content with other people.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fuck that, the Scions roleplay as frost mages.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Fuck that, the Scions roleplay as frost mages.

I will forever remember the Blizzard II mage I did a ARR dungeon during Heavensward with. They sat at max range and spammed Blizzard II through the whole dungeon. After I realized part way through it became a game of seeing how much I could drag over them so they would contribute damage to killing the enemies. They responded in chat and were not a bot. They just preferred to play as an Ice Mage and Blizzard II > Blizzard I.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

No, this is the non-asshole stance. Impatient jerks would like to gaslight you into thinking their time/needs are more important/relevant than yours but they are wrong and rude. While this game has a better community than most, the asshole stance I encounter is usually "I already know this fight, I refuse to have patience while someone else learns it." and "I've already seen this cutscene, I refuse to wait while someone else watches it." In both cases it's a refusal to give the same charity they were given their first time through. Obnoxious, immature, and selfish.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I am now a goddess of the hand.

I told myself i'd not get all classes to 70 before i went into shadowbringers but no i'm a filthy filthy liar

On the subject of cutscenes if it's my first time i'm going to watch them. It's my right to do so

Zunde on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Started doing the Kurenai quests to unlock the custom deliveries(my god are they good exp/scrips), some of the moments are pretty good.
    Kurenai: The people seem very nice up here, this gentleman already offered to show me around!
    Pirate(to WoL): The hell you want?
    WoL: Get lost!
    Pirate: No u!

<Pirate has a moment>

Pirate: Oh crap I recognize you now - I'm just kidding, it was just a joke!

I like that the game gives you little nods that you've done things.

60-70 Alchemy quest
    Bronze bull will acknowledge you and make a comment about how much he appreciates you if you've completed the Armorer quest that involves making his new sword.

Speaking of nods, I'm absolutely surprised someone hasn't made a montage video of every time your character nods in a cut scene.

Saldonas wrote: »
    Speaking of nods, I'm absolutely surprised someone hasn't made a montage video of every time your character nods in a cut scene.

I don't think YouTube allows videos that long.

Saldonas wrote: »

I don't think YouTube allows videos that long.

*nods*

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    For such a money pit Culinarian is to level up, once you're at max level it sure is dirtass cheap to max out on white crafter scrips with Mist Spinach.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I just finished the first dungeon of Shadowbringers. Now there's a song on loop in the Crystarium that makes me feel things.

MMOs are not supposed to make me feel emotion, what is this?!

Steam: Spawnbroker
    I just finished the first dungeon of Shadowbringers. Now there's a song on loop in the Crystarium that makes me feel things.

MMOs are not supposed to make me feel emotion, what is this?!

Oh my sweet, summer child. The thread title isn't hyperbole.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    For such a money pit Culinarian is to level up, once you're at max level it sure is dirtass cheap to max out on white crafter scrips with Mist Spinach.

oooh, thanks for the tip

a guide for crafters about what to expect from and how to prepare for the next patch

https://www.xivcraftingguide.com/505-prep

• NumiNumi Registered User regular
    gjd73c4lx6t6.png

Project clean up the armory chest is coming along nicely.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    the healer dynamic has attracted a LOT of people with shitty attitudes (dps migration)

the time: 2:15 PM
    the crime scene: Brayflox
    the offender: a healbot healer

CQQ8nQQ.png

names clipped to protect the guilty and innocent, but basically we died on the first section because I pulled two packs (5 mobs) and healer wasn't ready

sure, no worries--I slow down, we get to the bird boss, she uses rescue to pull me off the boss

I say please don't do that, and well, you see the rest

my explanation at the end there was right before the dragon

for those who doubt that these people exist, I find them in almost every leveling roulette now (I'm working on PLD and tanking is basically second nature at this point with GNB at 80 in ShB and DRK at 60 and 70 in HW and Stormblood respectively)

please, healers: it's fine to ask to slow down. if you do, put some dots down at least, and don't troll your tank by using rescue on them for no reason.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I killed someone with Rescue today.

In my defense, they had been getting hit by literally every mechanic on the last boss of the 79 dungeon, so when I saw they were about to be hit by a giant mechanic I thought I'd rescue them.

What I didn't account for was the, uh, slow travel time of Rescue. Instead of whisking them over to me...it staggered them over to me, causing the party member to get chain hit by every telegraph between me and them.

Oops <_<

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited July 2019
    yeah rescue has about 10,000,000 years of delay before it actually moves people. I suspect it's just exposing the true latency of the game in a way that's usually hidden by client side movement prediction and other people's movements not being tied to your inputs but it ends up feeling like what is functionally instantly moving someone from the server's perspective is actually on like a second delay.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    you can notice a similar effect if you're dead and just watching other people run around, suffering no ill effects from aoes they clearly got out of too late

I hate rescue as an ability.

I have only ever had it used on me by healers trying to pull me into something to kill me as far as i can tell completely unprovoked. It happens a lot on behemoth king and amon.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Never rescue the black mage

I rescue black mages out of AOEs out of spite

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.