As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    You're never going to find out unless you bring those things to a professional entymologist.
    Identifying beetle larvae is hard, and "white with brown/black heads" describes the larvae of half the wood boring species there are. The other half are "vaguely brown/chitin coloured"

Unless they're kind of flatish, because whole local washington species are round, fat and featuring pseudofeet some invasive species like the emerald ash borer are quite flat.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    They were squishier than I expected so I couldn't get a picture.

I must know what this means, please explain.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I found this little bugger in my bed the other day. I couldn't get a great picture so it might be hard to tell what it is, but it'd be nice to know whether it is or is not a termite.
    ebxfgbcfineu.jpg

Marty81 wrote: »
    I found this little bugger in my bed the other day. I couldn't get a great picture so it might be hard to tell what it is, but it'd be nice to know whether it is or is not a termite.
    ebxfgbcfineu.jpg

It's not a termite. Termites have straight antennae, this one clearly has elbowed ones. It also appears to have a pinched waist (termites have a straight one).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What is thiiiiis?
    4zysH4F.jpg

Found at my wife’s coworker’s house apparently.

That, is a Solifuge, aka a Camel spider aka wind scorpion. You can find them anywhere that's really dry. They're super ugly but not very dangerous unless you're an insect or very small mammal. No venom at all.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    What is thiiiiis?
    4zysH4F.jpg

Found at my wife’s coworker’s house apparently.

A sun spider.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=sunspider&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS624US624&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4z8Xy5M7jAhWrrFQKHfbMCjQQ_AUIESgB&biw=1517&bih=694&dpr=0.9

Not actually a spider, and scary because it's big but not as harmful as it looks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae

Makes me really curious where said co-worker lives though.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is a wind scorpion! They're not really spiders and not really scorpions, but they're good folks to have around. They eat other bugs and they're not venomous.

They can be scary as fuck when they move, though, because they scuttle pretty fast.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You are all so very helpful and I love you.

Oh, and we are in panhandle of Nebraska, USA. Semi-arid climate.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Palmetto bugs

Goddamn

There’s a giant fucker scurrying around this apartment I’m in and it’s his house now I might go sleep in the car

You are all so very helpful and I love you.

I like that we gave three different names for the same bug monster, and they were all correct.

• ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    So I've been meaning to try to identify these little guys for a while now. They like to hang out on my deck and slowly fan their patterned wings (looks like some kind of display behavior?). Roughly size and shape of an ant. Seem completely harmless and a bit skittish. In the northern Virginia area.
    en1vwwuni80w.jpg
    Also been meaning to seal the deck . .

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I love those guys!

I can not figure out what that thing is. Could you get a top-down picture?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Sooo, i think got bit in vietnam. Didnt feel anything but woke up with a bruised area om my thigh about 4 cm in diameter, with two red puncture marks in the center. Spaced about 8mm apart. Its not very painful unless i press down on it. Pics coming soon.

Any ideas?

20190726-112910.jpg
    20190726-112857.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • AutomautocratesAutomautocrates Registered User regular
    I'm so excited! I've been waiting to see a bug just for this thread!

I submit one Stripey Boi from Nova Scotia, Canada, for your identification pleasure.
    Say multipleknees!
    a75BAW6.jpg
    1Kr1ioI.jpg

The dictum that truth always triumphs over persecution is one of the pleasant falsehoods which men repeat after one another till they pass into commonplaces, but which all experience refutes.
    -John Stuart Mill
    Excellent pictures!
    That is a round-headed apple tree borer. Which is a really pretty bug, but one that's hated by orchards all over america since it will go after pretty much every commercial variety of fruit tree.
    Interestingly enough it belongs to a tribe of beetle which has only a single new world genus (and 15 species) out of its massive 1400 world-wide species.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    Sooo, i think got bit in vietnam. Didnt feel anything but woke up with a bruised area om my thigh about 4 cm in diameter, with two red puncture marks in the center. Spaced about 8mm apart. Its not very painful unless i press down on it. Pics coming soon.

Any ideas?

20190726-112910.jpg
    20190726-112857.jpg

well in no time you will be able to take pictures of the monster that emerges from it!

camo_sig.png
  • AutomautocratesAutomautocrates Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks! Luckily we dont have any orchards in my apartment building so I was able to observe it without worry. Very pretty beetle!

The dictum that truth always triumphs over persecution is one of the pleasant falsehoods which men repeat after one another till they pass into commonplaces, but which all experience refutes.
    -John Stuart Mill
    Doh i mean calve lol.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Oh, that's %100 the guys I got. Thanks!

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    That's pretty wide for a spider, looks more like a snake bite.

edited July 2019
    E.Coyote wrote: »

Or a vampire bat

I hear they often feed on calves.
    8-)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    edited July 2019
    E.Coyote wrote: »

My thought exactly...but i didnt see anyone mentioning spiders. Maybe a centipede?

Anyway, no necrosis or blistering, just a bruised-like ring which is fading by now. Guess whatever it was it wasn't that venomous.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    It's also fairly typical for some bloodsuckers that when they don't get a good suck on their first bite they move a few cm and try again.

edited July 2019
    K... small update, bitesite actually reemerging and getting more painful. Going to see a docter i think. Crap.

Edit: i just thought about bats... seems farfeteched but looking at the space between the bites it's not impossible?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    If it had been a bat you would know.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    A Little Brown Bat is small enough to scrape you in your sleep and you wouldn't even know it. (this isn't a Vietnam native species, just as an example)

Frankly if you suspect anything might have bitten you and you don't know what it was, don't even take the risk that it might simply be an insect. See a doctor asap and get a Rabies shot.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Palmetto bugs

Goddamn

There’s a giant fucker scurrying around this apartment I’m in and it’s his house now I might go sleep in the car

The worst part about Palmetto bugs is when you try to kill one and instead of trying to run away, it flies right at your face.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Donnicton wrote: »
    A Little Brown Bat is small enough to scrape you in your sleep and you wouldn't even know it. (this isn't a Vietnam native species, just as an example)

Frankly if you suspect anything might have bitten you and you don't know what it was, don't even take the risk that it might simply be an insect. See a doctor asap and get a Rabies shot.

Small update, went to see a docter, he said he'd only experienced one bat bite in 5 years and suspected a dry-ish white lipped tree viper bite as those do happen quite often. Did a bloodtest and came up with slightly elevated coagulation time values. (Which makes sense since the ammount of time that had passed.) He said i was pretty lucky that very little venom was delivered.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Donnicton wrote: »

Small update, went to see a docter, he said he'd only experienced one bat bite in 5 years and suspected a dry-ish white lipped tree viper bite as those do happen quite often. Did a bloodtest and came up with slightly elevated coagulation time values. (Which makes sense since the ammount of time that had passed.) He said i was pretty lucky that very little venom was delivered.

Sounds like things could have gone worse for you.
    Also, google that snake. If that it what bit you, sounds like you missed out on seeing a really cool looking snake up close and personal as it was gnawing on you.

Yeah, i'm actually really sad i did not get to see it, it would have made the experience worth the hassle hands down. They are very pretty.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Yeah, i'm actually really sad i did not get to see it, it would have made the experience worth the hassle hands down. They are very pretty.

3cpdngjk3o70.jpg

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    edited July 2019
    Not a bug, but i'm hopeful someone knows what this is. My best guess is some kind of agamidae?

20190729-104113.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    Calotes versicolor is what i'm leaning towards but the picture is kinda bad in regards to identifying and there are a fuckton of lizards out there...

Yh6tI4T.jpg
    "Alright, I can do this!"
    *it's a lizard*
    "I can't."

It looks like an anole, but

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Anolis_lizards

That's not saying a lot.

Follow it around until it shows off its big sexy throat sack to confirm.

(Could be a while if it is either not male or not an anole)

Alas it was a one morning stand, it's not returning my calls and blocked me on facebook.

Yh6tI4T.jpg