As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    City of Heroes was the first MMO I really played beyond a few levels of FFXI or SWG, so I thought “mobs” referred to a literal mob of enemies since you commonly fought them in groups in CoH.

The only other MMO I've played that approaches this is The Old Republic, everything else is like 2, maybe 3 enemies max. It sucks.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    City of Heroes was the first MMO I really played beyond a few levels of FFXI or SWG, so I thought “mobs” referred to a literal mob of enemies since you commonly fought them in groups in CoH.

The only other MMO I've played that approaches this is The Old Republic, everything else is like 2, maybe 3 enemies max. It sucks.

Champions Online had you fighting big groups of enemies in the beta. Then they increased the damage of all enemies for the live patch, I think. It was incredibly disappointing.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just hit 35 with my MM, so Ancillary Power Pools just became available.
    Any suggestions on which way to go for my Beast/Trick Arrows dude?

Thinking Ice is out, as I need fire or energy damage to start my oil slick arrow burning, but that still leaves the other three pools as options. Or the Patron pools if I want to head red-side.
    Fire is looking good for the self rez, but I wanted to consult the hive mind.

Current powers:
    All three summons, both upgrades, Fortify pack, Call Ravens
    All arrows except EMP arrow
    Super Jump
    Maneuver, Assault, Tactics

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Just hit 35 with my MM, so Ancillary Power Pools just became available.
    Any suggestions on which way to go for my Beast/Trick Arrows dude?

Thinking Ice is out, as I need fire or energy damage to start my oil slick arrow burning, but that still leaves the other three pools as options. Or the Patron pools if I want to head red-side.
    Fire is looking good for the self rez, but I wanted to consult the hive mind.

Current powers:
    All three summons, both upgrades, Fortify pack, Call Ravens
    All arrows except EMP arrow
    Super Jump
    Maneuver, Assault, Tactics

I would recommend fire not for the self-res (which at best might buy you enough time to summon a pet back during invuln) but for Bonfire, which can be slotted with KB-to-KD to become ice slick but with damage.

Really though, just pick what you like.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Generally on MMs people tend to pick Mace Mastery since it gives a shield and an AoE CC, with Null you can easily get in, go to Grandvile, talk to Arbiter what-his-name, do Patrons, get out in less than an hour. Also, if you don't care about which Patron you choose (since any of them unlock all the pools), Black Scorpion has the easiest arc.

On updates. Baby Defender is now level 30 and finished First Ward. Did Night Ward on my MM and looking to repeat the feat, the storyline of both zones are very, very good. Also shopping around for another MM spec, don't have complaints about Demons, but been dissapointed on how long some Thermal powers take to recharge without money and it doesn't feel that I'm doing much besides throwing some heals. Maybe Bots/Cold, or just reroll to Demons/Dark.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Nice, glad to see the thread open again. Been busy so haven't been online much but hopefully should be back on again more regularly. Fell down a Stardew Valley hole for a few days and also work junk. I will have to post a few pictures of my too many characters. Is 30+ too many?

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Technically there's an MMO screenshots thread, so if you're going buck-wild you might want to stick them there and link to your post?

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Nice, glad to see the thread open again. Been busy so haven't been online much but hopefully should be back on again more regularly. Fell down a Stardew Valley hole for a few days and also work junk. I will have to post a few pictures of my too many characters. Is 30+ too many?

The PA discord also has a channel for City of Heroes costumes

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Anybody mess around at all with Pain Domination?
    Agonist, my Psi/Pain corrupter is just like so profoundly squishy and struggled with equal level mission content, and I can't figure out what it takes to make it click. Meanwhile i cut through most other content with a Broadsword/WIllpower Scrapper (which yeah, Corrupter v Scrapper) but even with other characters back in the day I never felt as squishy as this Corrupter. And Pain Domination doesn't seem to have quite the buffing potential of other Healing/Buff pools, at least at 20.

Also this game is great and wonderful and is a small joy to see again.

• Options
    Agonist, my Psi/Pain corrupter is just like so profoundly squishy and struggled with equal level mission content, and I can't figure out what it takes to make it click. Meanwhile i cut through most other content with a Broadsword/WIllpower Scrapper (which yeah, Corrupter v Scrapper) but even with other characters back in the day I never felt as squishy as this Corrupter. And Pain Domination doesn't seem to have quite the buffing potential of other Healing/Buff pools, at least at 20.

Also this game is great and wonderful and is a small joy to see again.

Well, found a Reddit thread about Pain/Psi Defender and had this comment:
    Since you asked for pulling tips: Find a corner or piece of terrain close to the maximum range of your attack. Move away from cover, fire, and back into cover in one smooth motion. If your timing is correct the actual "shot" should occur as you are back behind cover. Also note this doesn't always work. Some enemy groups have less perception and are easier to pull (Vahz zombies for example).

Some other tips: Remember to use inspirations. You can talk to your contacts between missions and refill them if needed. Also you can set the difficulty to -1 enemy level if things are just too rough.

For your power set combination Pain/Psy: Pain has an early self heal, but won't give you many solo tools until later on. World of Pain and Anguishing Cry will let you kill stuff faster, once you reach them. So I'll focus on your secondary.

With Subdue, you can immobilize an enemy, then duck around an object/corner and attack a different enemy. This makes it as good as a hold, as an enemy who can't see you can't attack you.

Telekenetic Blast is also good for taking enemies off their feet and keeping them from attacking.

Will Domination will aso keep an enemy from attacking as long as you let them sleep. So you can hit one guy with this, then attack someone else while he sleeps.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    As someone who soloed at least one defender to 50, back on live, and has also played a couple of blasters and corruptors, my best advice is: don't. Find a team, even if you have to make one yourself. It's just so much less painful and frustrating.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Soloing on corruptor is definitely quite painful if you don't have some really strong CC since you don't really do great damage until you start getting your scourge procs. I ended up building mine with a lot of defense using scorpion shield and it's helped some, but I think ultimately I feel like corruptor is way better in a group since you can cover damage/support/healing.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Yeah, support secondaries with a bunch of Ally only powers are not good for solo. On the other hand, things like Time, Cold, Dark, Rad, that focus on debuffs and/or AoE buffs, are more useful there because your powers hit enemies anyways.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    yeah, don't solo buff sets if you don't have to. You're much better off with a debuff set for soloing. Or, if you want to solo with a debuff set, do it as a Mastermind.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    You're much better off ... as a Mastermind.

Good advice there

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular

Champions Online had you fighting big groups of enemies in the beta. Then they increased the damage of all enemies for the live patch, I think. It was incredibly disappointing.

Warframe is basically CoX with fewer powersets, a deeply troubled fashion designer, better voice acting, and worse gunplay all wrapped up in a Nemesis plot.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Street Justice is tons of fun.

Savage Melee is tons of fun.

Blasters are so much better, now.

I have so many characters I want to play and can't play them all. ;_;

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Kay wrote: »
    Street Justice is tons of fun.

Savage Melee is tons of fun.

Blasters are so much better, now.

I have so many characters I want to play and can't play them all. ;_;

Know the feel. Just made a Dark/Dark Controller on an impulse. Still need to deep dive into him, but it seems solid. Damage on the lower side of course (need to remember to buy Envenomed Daggers), but all the -ToHit is very solid.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really miss my blapper.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    gdiqeksyujsk.png

Street Justice is raw and I can't get enough of it. This is Truck - he partakes in street "justice" in support of his many bad habits.

ALSO - I forgot how to make images display smaller in the img tag. I will fix if someone can give me the secret codes.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options

Pain is one of those secondaries like emp and thermal that doesn't get anything to meaningfully affect you or enemies until way later, so you're basically a blast-only blaster with worse damage, and you probably haven't slotted your blasts like a blaster would.

My advice is to make a secondary build where you do, and take Assault and some fighting pool for survivability. Then when you want to team you can just hit a trainer and be back at support.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    You can also switch builds by typing

/select_build #

Or make a macro that gives you a clicky button

/Macro Name "select_build #"

# is the build number and Name is the name you want displayed on the button

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    GM JimmyToday at 9:21 PM

everyone Hey folks,

We know things have been really quiet from us lately, and we wanted to provide an update on what we've been up to.

Homecoming and The Titan Network are working together and are in active negotiations with NCSoft in order to turn Homecoming into a legitimate operation, and we've been making significant strides in recent weeks. It's our intention to involve the entire community in this process when the time comes - which is not quite yet, but we'll certainly be shouting from the rooftops when it is - hopefully Soon™.

Please hang tight for the time being, and keep killing those Skuls.

- The Homecoming Team

EDIT: To be clear, Homecoming will remain completely free to play.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tn_1235245586270.jpg

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, it would be cool if they could somehow secure ncsoft's blessing to continue running the thing... but these seem like the same "negotiations" that the titan network people were having with ncsoft forever ago

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Announcement of an announcement, just fodder for the Internet lawyer crowd. Blegh.

• Options
    So Titan Weapons are great and I love them, but sometimes the powerset feels a little like somebody sat down and said "what if that thing where you mash as many buttons as you can during Build Up, but all the time?"

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    tn_1235245586270.jpg

I mean, I prefer communication over silence, even if there isn't anything special to report.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Homecoming is now (publicly) testing a 64-bit client to fix the upcoming "Macs will stop supporting 32-bit this fall" issue.

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Welp, I hope you're happy you monsters. I finally caved...

p16o810ulmh6.jpg

Dark Sider - a 'going from memory' attempt to recreate my Dark/Dark Corruptor from City of Villains back in the day. He's not 100% there - the original was more...mean biker than BDSM, and also I took advantage of all the archetypes being open to make this one a Blaster rather than a Corruptor.

But I once again walk the streets of Mercy City (at least until I get to level 4 and can fly) bringing terror, despair, and gay sassiness to all!

EDIT: For an oops moment...he's not actually Dark Sider. That was my first attempt to recreate my original Dark Star villain, but the aura effect I used on that one was too annoying. This bad boy is Tenebral. Also, coming up with appropriate superhero/villain names that also haven't already been taken is hard y'all!

mori1972 on
    It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The Starheart Sentinel
    rqxwt57k6dol.png

Fire/Fire Sentinel with Flying. Powers are a lovely and bright lime green. Flying with Fire Shield on looks amazing.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Great Scott!
    :wink:

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I couldn't resist making a villain as well. Meet... Comrade Red!

s72racuq2al7.png

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Holy shit, new beta patch is adding controller support and a Roleplaying toggle (changes your name color and adds a Roleplaying title so people know you're in character) plus Physx changes, this is stuff that I never thought I'd see.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Oh, good. Controller support was one of the very, very few things I liked more about Champions Online and DCUO, so here's to evading the dark gods of carpal tunnel.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    That's fantastic, I'll no longer have to resort to XPadder hackery when playing on a laptop. <3

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Can't believe I'm playing City of Heroes again. First thing I did was remake one of my old heroes.

Old screenshot of original / New hero in HIGH-DEF!
    RwFWpda.pngK0pCHQv.jpg

It's really interesting to see the graphical difference with higher settings and resolution compared to what I was working with over 10 years ago!

• Options
    I just had an amazing idea for character, made him and ran through Death from Below a few times only to realize I had already made him like a month ago. Problems of an altaholic.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Presenting a Sonic/Cold Defender that could ONLY be made with the resurrection, I give you Chill Beats!
    L2QPKF2.jpg

and of course, OF COURSE, her non Battle Mode
    XowY98H.jpg

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    lo-fi hiphop something something

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991