As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    For actual race discussion
    Seems there's an interesting story with the Alfas. Both of them have been referred to the stewards for a technical infringement relating to their start procedure. Sounds like a potential aid to their start that procedure, along the lines of traction control or a clutch aid. If they're found in breach I imagine that could go all the way to disqualification.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Another stewards note:
    For those wondering about the second investigation into Hamilton, no further action. Seems it was an automatically flagged issue due to the incident and long pit stop confusing the system.

altid on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey, guys. Talk about millionaires racing cars politely or not at all.

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Vettel: slooooow for most of the time but fast where it mattered.

Hulkenberg: noooooooooo, why? You had this.

Hamilton: "How could this have gone so bad?" I dunno, ask the wall you tried to park into?

Kvyatt: good job!

Gasly: just...just get out of the car. You're not doing RB any favours.

Marko: pull the old switcheroo again and get a 2nd driver that will get you points.

Verstappen: nice save on the spin, fair pace throughout, finally some SC luck for a change.

Bottas: stick to time trials i guess?

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Cool stabilized video of one of the major incidents.

https://streamable.com/jjy4d

edit: also, lol this reaction to the result

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    If Albon and Gasley dont switch cars by the end of the season I will be shocked.

Also, there was a penalty given on the unsafe release.
    It just happens it went against the team in the form of a monetary penalty. A constructor points penalty would probably have been more effective in stopping them from doing it again, but I'm glad the FIA didn't hurt Leclerc's race for the teams mistake.
    evilbob wrote: »

Is there a video like this of the other incident in that corner? I'd like to see a comparison of why Hamilton didnt hit the wall while Bottas did

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I believe you make your own luck, but sometimes it does seem like Hamilton has a golden horseshoe stuck somewhere. Has his worst race in, what, five years? His only serious title contender bins it chasing down a Racing Point...

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    It's also a bit hilarious/tragic that it's Kubica that gets the point. Russell has been the faster of the two in quite possibly every other session, yet loses out on the one time when it actually counted.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I believe you make your own luck, but sometimes it does seem like Hamilton has a golden horseshoe stuck somewhere. Has his worst race in, what, five years? His only serious title contender bins it chasing down a Racing Point...

Well except for that one he briefly took part in at Barcelona.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Is there a video like this of the other incident in that corner? I'd like to see a comparison of why Hamilton didnt hit the wall while Bottas did
    Can't find one, but the difference will probably just be Hamilton getting the car straightened up faster, or recognising he's gonna go over the wet stuff early and bailing.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I was damn near jumping up and down at that. Thank the racing gods. It's only one whole point, but still.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I was damn near jumping up and down at that. Thank the racing gods. It's only one whole point, but still.

Looks a whole lot better than the 0 would at the end of the year.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I think my favorite thing in this whole wackadoodle race was the Hass cars running into each other on lap like 55. Those two seem just compelled to try and fuck each other and their team over every race.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    I think my favorite thing in this whole wackadoodle race was the Hass cars running into each other on lap like 55. Those two seem just compelled to try and fuck each other and their team over every race.

Absolutely no way they're both retained for next year. One of them is gone. Very possibly both. I bet Guenther Steiner is running out of expletives for them.

"Don't. Fucking. Crash. Into. Each. Other. It's not that hard."

• Options
    edited July 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Well except for that one he briefly took part in at Barcelona.

Excluding DNFs, this was would have been Hamilton's first non-points-scoring finish since 2013.

Jazz on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Absolutely no way they're both retained for next year. One of them is gone. Very possibly both. I bet Guenther Steiner is running out of expletives for them.

It's clear that, regardless of individual talent level, the drivers don't work well together.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It's clear that, regardless of individual talent level, the drivers don't work well together.

It's kind of a shame, since both drivers are probably similarly talented - both excellent on their day, but sorely inconsistent - and otherwise are pretty good benchmarks for each other.

I guess one advantage to having two drivers who simply aren't on the same level as each other is that they're rarely going to occupy the same bit of track at the same time and this is unlikely to be a problem they'll face.

Annoyingly, Haas have been trying to figure out why they generally qualify well but go backwards in the races. So at Silverstone, they reverted Grosjean's car back to Melbourne spec and left the latest updates on Magnussen's, to use the race as an extended test session. Then on the Sunday they promptly drove into each other on lap one.

So they tried it again at Hockenheim. Hopefully they got more data this time before the drivers became idiots again. It certainly seems like the updates haven't helped at all; but maybe they haven't actually made the car worse either.

Jazz on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Most dramatic, and therefore, best race of the season so far.
    This is a taste of what it would be like if teams like Toro Ross and Racing Point and Mclaren could battle with Red Bull and Ferrari and....I guess Mercedes, for podiums! It was the best! Play of the game was definitely Racing Point putting Stroll on the softs at exactly when it provided maximum advantage. If only there was a little more parity, he could have had another podium. Ah well, hoping to see more of this at some point in the future. For now, I'm sure we'll be back to racing by the numbers.

• Options
    Also, AGAIN
    When Mercedes are fucked by circumstance or their own stupidity, the racing is incredible. Dominance is bad for sport.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    interesting race... not reading too much into the merc fuckups... I was under the impression since Race 1 that their car was a bit of a handful... so being forced into slicks prematurely was definitely what hurt them... don't really blame the drivers there

what is up with how bad these rain tires though... been this way for years....

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Lewis wanted to retire the car.

https://streamable.com/jix6n

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Lewis wanted to retire the car.

https://streamable.com/jix6n

Haha now that's whining.
    Finish the race you baby.

• Options
    his statement looks especially foolish in hindsight since he's actually picked up some points thanks to the disqualifications of the Alfas. only Lewis Hamilton's luck could lead him to actually extend his championship lead despite his worst race of the season

• Options
    That's what I'm saying. I don't believe for a second his success in F1 in general is due to luck, but the breaks just fall his way more often than they don't.

Also, I have a hard time calling him a baby given that he was actually sick all weekend. Think of the last time you were actively sick, now imagine feeling that way in an F1 car. You'd probably be complaining on the radio too. Plus Lewis has in the past made good decisions to retire the car to save the engine. In this particular case, he was wrong, but he's been right on that call in the past.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Holy crap, what a race.

Havent seen it live but the replay just now.

Reminds me a bit of Monaco 1996, where only 3 cars saw the finish line and Olivier Panis won his only race.

But this was crazy. Great for Vettel to have come second after all this.

Really not a good race for Mercedes, but it only shows how bad their dominance is for the sport. Take them out of the equation and all of a sudden you have some racing going on.

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Holy crap, what a race.

Havent seen it live but the replay just now.

Reminds me a bit of Monaco 1996, where only 3 cars saw the finish line and Olivier Panis won his only race.

But this was crazy. Great for Vettel to have come second after all this.

Really not a good race for Mercedes, but it only shows how bad their dominance is for the sport. Take them out of the equation and all of a sudden you have some racing going on.

You don't even need to take them out of the equation. Just make it so that other cars are competing with them.

• Options
    I got a G29 wheel and pedals for $167 Canadian + tax new and it should be here on thursday.
    What Racing games should I start with?
    f1? some other sim racer?

• Options
    F1 yes. I like Dirt Rally 2.0 right now too. I want to try Assetto Corsa Competizione but haven’t had the chance yet.

And I think it’s worth it to at least try out iRacing. If it clicks for you, then be prepared to fall down a money hole. If it doesn’t, at least a one month sub is under $15 to give it a go.

• Options
    Forza Motorsport (NOT Horizons) is a good choice, too.

• Options
    Forza is fun, but I don’t think I’d call it a sim. At least not compared to what some other games are doing. Not full on crazy arcade, but not quite trying to be fully realistic either. Maybe? I don’t know, I have played Forza in quite some time.

• Options
    I like Project Cars 2 as a really good mix between sim and arcade. It's enough of a sim to make sure that the gameplay is authentic to simracing overall, you need to drive with the right techniques and can't just arcade your way around a track, but it's not so demanding that you can't enjoy playing it from day one.

• Options
    Forza is fun, but I don’t think I’d call it a sim. At least not compared to what some other games are doing. Not full on crazy arcade, but not quite trying to be fully realistic either. Maybe? I don’t know, I have played Forza in quite some time.

I think it's a great intro-to-sim game. You can play it as an arcade, syre, but it is at it's best when you treat it as a sim.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    On the simcade side Projects Cars 2 and Forza Motorsport are both good fun. The F1 games are also top games in this category. F1 2019 is really good.

If you want to dip your toes in to full blown sims, Assetto Corsa Competizione is a good start. It's well structured, doesn't overwhelm you with choices and GT3 cars are on the easy side to learn and drive. This has the best online racing outside of iRacing (though it's still a big gap IMO).

From there I feel like the next step is Assetto Corsa, with Content Manager and the rich modding scene it has.

iRacing is what I spend a lot of my time in, but it doesn't have the best of anything really (physics, graphics, etc), but it has dedicated servers and a good ladder structure, so you can get actually decent online racing with other real humans. I much prefer racing people over AI's, so that's my particular niche.

If you really want to jump down the rabbit hole there is rFactor 2.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Thanks all!

I'll probably pick up F1 2019 as it's on sale right now and Dirt Rally.
    I think I get Forza via xbox game pass so I'll check that out too.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Thanks all!

I'll probably pick up F1 2019 as it's on sale right now and Dirt Rally.
    I think I get Forza via xbox game pass so I'll check that out too.

FYI, Forza (both motorsport and horizons) is one of the rare game pass games that also work on a windows 10 PC.

• Options
    Is forza motorsport on game pass? When I look up the game list only horizon 4 is there.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I didn't think Motorsport was, just Horizons 4, but I could be wrong. May also be regional?

• Options
    Damn you guys are right, Horizon 4 only :(

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Well, bugger.

Horizon 4 is a cracking good game, though; but realistic it ain't.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.