As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    For such a money pit Culinarian is to level up, once you're at max level it sure is dirtass cheap to max out on white crafter scrips with Mist Spinach.

oooh, thanks for the tip

On my data center it costs ~100k worth of materials for enough mats for 30 Mist Spinach Sautes, which is around the minimum to cap out on White Scrips from zero. It's even cheaper if you have a retainer farming out Yak Milks for you. (which ideally you should, Fermented Butter and Sour Cream are used in both Spinach and Espresso and both sucks to farm yourself and hurts to buy)

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    For such a money pit Culinarian is to level up, once you're at max level it sure is dirtass cheap to max out on white crafter scrips with Mist Spinach.

oooh, thanks for the tip

On my data center it costs ~100k worth of materials for enough mats for 30 Mist Spinach Sautes, which is around the minimum to cap out on White Scrips from zero. It's even cheaper if you have a retainer farming out Yak Milks for you. (which ideally you should, Fermented Butter and Sour Cream are used in both Spinach and Espresso and both sucks to farm yourself and hurts to buy)

And people wonder why I have 10 retainers.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    the healer dynamic has attracted a LOT of people with shitty attitudes (dps migration)

the time: 2:15 PM
    the crime scene: Brayflox
    the offender: a healbot healer

names clipped to protect the guilty and innocent, but basically we died on the first section because I pulled two packs (5 mobs) and healer wasn't ready

sure, no worries--I slow down, we get to the bird boss, she uses rescue to pull me off the boss

I say please don't do that, and well, you see the rest

my explanation at the end there was right before the dragon

for those who doubt that these people exist, I find them in almost every leveling roulette now (I'm working on PLD and tanking is basically second nature at this point with GNB at 80 in ShB and DRK at 60 and 70 in HW and Stormblood respectively)

please, healers: it's fine to ask to slow down. if you do, put some dots down at least, and don't troll your tank by using rescue on them for no reason.

Brayflox normal, and I’m assuming you pulled straight up the river towards the keygiver?

That’s a rough pull at that level as a healer because it has the two ranged mobs who won’t follow the pack and who tend to peel off the tank who only has initial aggro. So they start tossing rocks at someone else, generally the healer who has heal aggro. It’s no Aurum Vale but it’s one of the more annoying dungeon intros.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I wouldn't exactly call that pull rough, as long as you hit all of them so none of them start beating up the healer they'll all follow you up to the key guy, and they don't do very much damage.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Leveling roulette as a whm today and pulled qitana ravel. First time i had run it as a healer. Our ninja decided to stop playing after the 2nd boss. They didnt dc but they also didnt move while we cleared all the way to the final boss.

Unfortunately our dancer opened the last chest so we couldn't kick the nin and rather than wait the 6 minutes we decide to 3man it. Amusingly the nin got sucked into the fight but still chose not to fight or moved.

No one died, not even the nin. Was quite pleased with that.

steam_sig.png
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Speaking of nods, I'm absolutely surprised someone hasn't made a montage video of every time your character nods in a cut scene.

Does anyone else do a dramatic nod IRL when they know the WOL is about to do it? Or is that just me?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    One month.

One month from resubbing in the middle of Heavensward to finishing off Shadowbringer's MSQ.

That was a fucking amazing journey.

End of ShB MSQ, seriously don't click it if you aren't already done:
    No seriously.
    It may have helped that to cap everything off, we had all the dps and me die, leaving the two tanks and the other healer...and still we one shot the encounter. Talk about an epic capstone fight, jesus christ was I shaking as we recovered that.

The writer behind the plot and Emet-Selch as a villain and the entire backstory is a god. It was beautifully written the entire way.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Speaking of nods, I'm absolutely surprised someone hasn't made a montage video of every time your character nods in a cut scene.

Does anyone else do a dramatic nod IRL when they know the WOL is about to do it? Or is that just me?

I’ve caught myself doing the ‘tilting my head, holding my chin while looking troubled’ in real life way too much lately.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I may occasionally punch a fist into an open palm.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

I may occasionally punch a fist into an open palm.

I sometimes kill people's gods if I have to. Maybe even I don't have to.

I'm all about that patting my own breast twice and looking confident life

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    Brayflox normal, and I’m assuming you pulled straight up the river towards the keygiver?

That’s a rough pull at that level as a healer because it has the two ranged mobs who won’t follow the pack and who tend to peel off the tank who only has initial aggro. So they start tossing rocks at someone else, generally the healer who has heal aggro. It’s no Aurum Vale but it’s one of the more annoying dungeon intros.

they did not peel off of me, in fact the reason we died is because the healer didn't move from the start and I didn't see it

i definitely have run Brayflox about 303974 times and know how to pull the mobs back to the poop flingers; I didn't think I was going to die or I would have popped Hallowed Ground honestly

it's good that i didn't because i needed to use it a moment later on the same pull when the healer was ready

definitely agree it's annoying, but i normally pull the entire first section there because i've done it a billion times

i just had to stop because i got 0 heals and then died

hey black mages, what do Umbral Soul?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    hey black mages, what do Umbral Soul?

Use it during downtime (between pulls, boss jumps) to keep Enochian and build up 3 umbral hearts. QOL skill basically.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    6ominyc9h0h9.png

It's a tankless job but somebody has to do it.

Zunde on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    maow

liEt3nH.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, someone posted this on the /r/ffxiv subreddit. Pretty gud chocobo name.

s1wwt3esrxc31.png

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Sooo I am still chugging my way through the MSQ in ARR.
    Just beat Leviathan and now moving onwards. The filler quests before got me looking for children, rubbing perfume and fetching alcohol and I’m starting to think the seven scions are building never land ranch in revenants toll.

Seriously though minus some of this filler stuff I am really enjoying this. I know I am miles away from up to date but I intend in seeing this journey through.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Finished core ARR in eight days, about 44 hours. Now onto 2.1.

The back half was definitely better than the front half though I ended up being a little disappointed by
    the empire stuff. I like mixing in dungeons as story content but with all the dramatic buildup to the end blitzing it with people that had clearly done it dozens of times was unsatisfying. I think I prefer Trial-style boss-only content for climax events, because I liked the Primals.

And this problem is hardly unique to FFXIV but beating Ultima weapon with crystal ex machina after all the build-up it had was kinda silly. Amplified by the general trivialization of that dungeon.

Now I have fifteen quests to unlock Hard dungeons. Woo.

admanb wrote: »

The back half was definitely better than the front half though I ended up being a little disappointed by
    the empire stuff. I like mixing in dungeons as story content but with all the dramatic buildup to the end blitzing it with people that had clearly done it dozens of times was unsatisfying. I think I prefer Trial-style boss-only content for climax events, because I liked the Primals.

And this problem is hardly unique to FFXIV but beating Ultima weapon with crystal ex machina after all the build-up it had was kinda silly. Amplified by the general trivialization of that dungeon.

the devs drew the same lessons you did from the end of the 2.0 ARR story dungeon stuff, and went with that very solution.

BahamutZERO.gif

The dungeons were heavily nerfed from release, they used to be much tougher. But since they're a long slog to get through to begin with and are required to advance the plot, SE felt that these being big barriers to getting out of ARR would not have been a good experience for new players. (or players leveling new jobs)

The dungeons were heavily nerfed from release, they used to be much tougher. But since they're a long slog to get through to begin with and are required to advance the plot, SE felt that these being big barriers to getting out of ARR would not have been a good experience for new players. (or players leveling new jobs)

Yeah I don’t think I would’ve been happy if we couldn’t blitz it either. It was long enough with all the damn villain monologues.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Man, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with myself after I finish this last bit of MSQ in Shadowbringers. I'm on "To Storm-tossed Seas" and I'm leveling paladin while I help my wife through the 2.0 MSQ.

My guild that I thought I was gonna be doing a casual Friday night static is already full and no one ever bothered telling me, so I'm pretty bummed out and I'm not really in to the pugging thing.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Man, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with myself after I finish this last bit of MSQ in Shadowbringers. I'm on "To Storm-tossed Seas" and I'm leveling paladin while I help my wife through the 2.0 MSQ.

My guild that I thought I was gonna be doing a casual Friday night static is already full and no one ever bothered telling me, so I'm pretty bummed out and I'm not really in to the pugging thing.

I've been grinding Machinist levels. I'm typically Mr. NoGrind, but the changes made to the job are great, and for the first time in a very long while combat itself is fun rather than just something to get through. Pew pew with drones, explosions, and complete freedom of movement is such a refreshing change of pace.

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Getting to the end of Heavensward, I think. Two observations:

-Stargate much?
    -It pleases my inner geek to no end that my PC now rides sidesaddle like the proper lady she is.

Akilae on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I finally got a machinist to 61 couple days ago, so i can start stormblood dungeons when i have the time for it.
    It is pretty fun being able to move about freely, instead of constantly having to stop and stand still as a black mage or summoner.
    Or never be able to hit the constantly moving enemies as a samurai (level 57 now, using roulette to get him to 60 before doing the quests with level 60 gear), curse you 3 yard attack range.
    Melee is for tanks, atleast they can have the enemies run after them instead of having to run after enemies.

Nyysjan on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Just finished the stormblood Hildy quest chain.
    I guess that's going to explain how they show up in Shadowbringers.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Note: While this doesn't have any outright ShB spoilers, it does contain an endgame dungeon theme song.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Finally managed to climb Baelsar's Wall and finish Heavensward. The quests leading into Stormblood got me super hyped for it. Only 1 expansion behind now! Also feels weird with my Miner already being level 70 while my Warrior and Dragoon are both just 60.

Cirira wrote: »
    Finally managed to climb Baelsar's Wall and finish Heavensward. The quests leading into Stormblood got me super hyped for it. Only 1 expansion behind now! Also feels weird with my Miner already being level 70 while my Warrior and Dragoon are both just 60.

I'd hold off on working on the miner any further until you're done with Stormblood at least. Once you complete the main story quests you'll get access to the currency vendors for that expansion, including a yellow scrip vendor that sells level 70 gatherer gear that will last you until 80.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I finally finished the ARR epilogue and started Heavensward, with a brief interruption to unlock Dark Knight and level it to 50. But now I'm wondering what class to take through the heavensward content.

Here's my journey so far:

1-15 Archer - switched to ARC
    1-30 Arcanist - Switched to Ninja
    1-50 Ninja - unlocked Red Mage

Then I took my redmage through the end of ARR and the epilogue quests before switching to Dark Knight.

Dark Knight's cool and all but I'm not really feeling leveling as a tank, plus I don't feel like running new dungeons for the first time as a tank. So now I've gone back to my Arcanist/summoner and have him at 38 and can probably hit 50 in a few hours, so that's an option. But their play style is really quite boring at low levels.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So I finally finished the ARR epilogue and started Heavensward, with a brief interruption to unlock Dark Knight and level it to 50. But now I'm wondering what class to take through the heavensward content.

Then I took my redmage through the end of ARR and the epilogue quests before switching to Dark Knight.

Dark Knight's cool and all but I'm not really feeling leveling as a tank, plus I don't feel like running new dungeons for the first time as a tank. So now I've gone back to my Arcanist/summoner and have him at 38 and can probably hit 50 in a few hours, so that's an option. But their play style is really quite boring at low levels.

Have you tried SCH? Since it's based on ACN (BTW - ARC is Archer, ACN is Arcanist), you are already at 38 with it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Have you tried SCH? Since it's based on ACN (BTW - ARC is Archer, ACN is Arcanist), you are already at 38 with it.

SCH is unfortunately super boring at low levels. At least their damage isn't as atrocious as it once was though (well, their aoe got nerfed hard, but low level single target is better)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

SCH is unfortunately super boring at low levels. At least their damage isn't as atrocious as it once was though (well, their aoe got nerfed hard, but low level single target is better)

Saying a job is boring at low levels doesn’t resonate well to me, because every job is pretty boring before 30 and 50. SCH is actually my pick as one of the better jobs to play at low content (certainly my preferred healer for sub-50 content) since the faerie does the work and I can dps to move it along faster.

steam_sig.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I find it easiest to level a dps through the story, and then bring tank/healer classes up to speed through dungeons.
    with dps the queue can get too long to be a good tool for levelling.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm leveling as SAM because my kill speed for soloing is just so far ahead of my PLD. I'll level PLD through roulettes and FATES once I'm through Shadowbringers....which is a ways off still.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    AST gets big healing potency increases

BahamutZERO.gif
    AST as my healing alt CONFIRMED.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    RDM's single target spells are now a bit cheaper and Enchanted Reprise got a nice little buff.

This discussion has been closed.