Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

195969798100

Posts

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Another picture of the new Primaris stuff. Actual reveal this saturday with the big Apoc battle

    valhalla130
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    A leftenant is called a leftenant because he is left with the tenancy of command. He is in lieu of the captain. The lieu-tenant.

  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    A lieutenant is called a lieutenant because there if no f in lieutenant.

    73CQcJZ.png
    italianranma
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    A lieutenant is called a lieutenant because there if no f in lieutenant.
    English is fun

  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Also called a lieutenant because it’s really funny to watch them try to puzzle out how to spell that rank, only to scribble it out and write “Lt” afterwards.

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 29
    Wikipedia says:
    Pronunciation of lieutenant is generally split between the forms /lɛfˈtɛnənt/ lef-TEN-ənt and /luːˈtɛnənt/ loo-TEN-ənt, with the former generally associated with the armies of British Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland; and the latter generally associated with anyone from the United States or other Western Hemisphere countries. The early history of the pronunciation is unclear; Middle English spellings suggest that the /luː-/ and /lɛf-/ pronunciations may have existed even then. The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [ u] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f]. Furthermore, in Latin, the lingua franca of the era, the letter v is used for both u and v.

    Basically all languages are monstrous agglomerations of rationally-irrational accidents that become legitimized.

    Delduwath on
    Nipsvalhalla130ironsizide
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I pronounce it "løytnant".

    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Wikipedia says:
    Pronunciation of lieutenant is generally split between the forms /lɛfˈtɛnənt/ lef-TEN-ənt and /luːˈtɛnənt/ loo-TEN-ənt, with the former generally associated with the armies of British Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland; and the latter generally associated with anyone from the United States or other Western Hemisphere countries. The early history of the pronunciation is unclear; Middle English spellings suggest that the /luː-/ and /lɛf-/ pronunciations may have existed even then. The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [ u] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f]. Furthermore, in Latin, the lingua franca of the era, the letter v is used for both u and v.

    Basically all languages are monstrous agglomerations of rationally-irrational accidents that become legitimized.

    Have fun communicating in guttural murmurs and exaggerated hand gestures

  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Wikipedia says:
    Pronunciation of lieutenant is generally split between the forms /lɛfˈtɛnənt/ lef-TEN-ənt and /luːˈtɛnənt/ loo-TEN-ənt, with the former generally associated with the armies of British Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland; and the latter generally associated with anyone from the United States or other Western Hemisphere countries. The early history of the pronunciation is unclear; Middle English spellings suggest that the /luː-/ and /lɛf-/ pronunciations may have existed even then. The rare Old French variant spelling luef for Modern French lieu ('place') supports the suggestion that a final [ u] of the Old French word was in certain environments perceived as an [f]. Furthermore, in Latin, the lingua franca of the era, the letter v is used for both u and v.

    Basically all languages are monstrous agglomerations of rationally-irrational accidents that become legitimized.

    Have fun communicating in guttural murmurs and exaggerated hand gestures
    I mean, that's just what language is.

    I'm not saying "Natural language is Evil because it wasn't meticulously designed by a committee of mathematicians!", I'm saying "All natural languages are buck-wild by their very nature".

    As an immigrant whose first language wasn't English, I've heard my parents and other immigrants complain about how "English is so illogical, [insert language of choice] is more straightforward", but like... that's just not true. They only think that because they grew up with that language, it's as natural to them as moving their arm, and they don't notice the irregularities. That not how natural language works, unless every person has a dedicated Language Enforcement Officer assigned to them who shoots them in the head whenever they deviate from the laws set forth by the Central Language Department.

    italianranmavalhalla130
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    English is weird as it steals words from other languages that work better?
    Then you have regional variants with different words and spellings
    Again English is fun .

  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    English is weird as it steals words from other languages that work better?
    Then you have regional variants with different words and spellings
    Again English is fun .

    But again this isn’t different from any other languages. English dialects tend to be tamer than dialects in other languages. What constitutes a dialect itself isn’t well defined aside from the fact that it’s the recognized language of a region. And all languages “steal” words, though since talk is cheap it’s really more borrowing than stealing, which is why they’re called “loanwords”.

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Shambler FuckerRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    As an immigrant whose first language wasn't English, I've heard my parents and other immigrants complain about how "English is so illogical, [insert language of choice] is more straightforward", but like... that's just not true. They only think that because they grew up with that language, it's as natural to them as moving their arm, and they don't notice the irregularities. That not how natural language works, unless every person has a dedicated Language Enforcement Officer assigned to them who shoots them in the head whenever they deviate from the laws set forth by the Central Language Department.

    That reminds me of the infographic about how we naturally order descriptors in English. I'm at work on my phone or else I'd post it, but it basically describes why "I drive a big old red truck" sounds natural but "I drive a red old big truck" sounds off.

    73CQcJZ.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    A lieutenant is called a lieutenant because there if no f in lieutenant.

    There's too many F'ing Lieutenants, that's why this twitter feed exists!

    BurnageBrainleechitalianranmavalhalla130ironsizide
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Again why do people primer on the spure?
    This was a Necron Command I got that was primed black
    kzx6c5evfk3y.png
    There was another one I picked up as well but never got around to it until now that is primed green [dark angels green}
    hmt4kwd9ivpq.png
    729bgke8omuq.png
    I do understand if you do it so you can do subassemblies with little issue but you still have all the nicks and cuts as well as oversprays and under
    in general one of the many things you run into 2nd hand stuff

  • NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    Hey dudes. Clearing out the last bit of 40k that I have. If you're interested in a Blood Angels/Dark Angels army, hit me up in a PM
    All models have chapter specific shoulder pads

    Dark Angels:
    5x Deathwing Knights (the unused Terminator Command Squad bits are included)
    5x Deathwing Terminators w/ Cyclones
    2x Dark Angels Tactical Squad (2x plasma guns, missile launcher, plasma cannon) (Mix of Dark Vengeance and standard tactical squad. Unused bits from Tac Squad box included)
    3x Ravenwing Bikes (Dark Vengeance)
    Drop Pod (Primed black. Currently in three pieces: the base, the harness assembly, the top)
    Special Edition Interrogator Chaplain (Dark Vengeance)
    Librarian (Dark Vengeance)
    Captain (Dark Vengeance)

    Blood Angels:
    5x Assault Marines (Power Sword Sgt) (All unused bits included)
    Jump Pack Chaplain
    Full set of Space Hulk Blood Angels Terminators (Librarian is missing his stormbolter arm)
    Painted Death Company Marine
    Chapter Master Gabriel Seth painted as a Lamenter
    Painted Baal Predator (old style sponsons, one snapped and needing repair)
    NIB Blood Angels Assault Squad
    NIB Space Marine Devastator Squad
    Set of 5 ForgeWorld Blood Angel Terminator Shoulder Pads

    Included will be all sorts of various bits and extra models that are in various states of assembly.

    If interested, I can send pics and we can talk cost

    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Again why do people primer on the spure?
    This was a Necron Command I got that was primed black
    kzx6c5evfk3y.png
    There was another one I picked up as well but never got around to it until now that is primed green [dark angels green}
    hmt4kwd9ivpq.png
    729bgke8omuq.png
    I do understand if you do it so you can do subassemblies with little issue but you still have all the nicks and cuts as well as oversprays and under
    in general one of the many things you run into 2nd hand stuff

    That top one looks more like it just spent time on your keyboard.

  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    It has. I have no way to store it as it is too large for the figure cases I have and part of the problem I have as would this work? Or would getting the footlocker and some foam be overkill for my tyranids? kind of debate

  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I wish GW would sell bits. Trying to find imperial knight bits is a pain on Ebay.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I wish GW would sell bits. Trying to find imperial knight bits is a pain on Ebay.

    They used to when I last played as I got the idea to replace my broken falcon turrets with the fire prisim one alas I cannot find anyone selling those

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    Those were the good times, all the metal parts available as bits, and as employe they cost a fraction of the retail price.

    edit: Why the hell are the Enforcers called palanite enforcers and not palatine? I thought it was the latter because they are the personal enforcers of Necromunda's ruler and palanite was just a typo, but searching through the warcom pages, they are called palanite every time.

    honovere on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Those were the good times, all the metal parts available as bits, and as employe they cost a fraction of the retail price.

    edit: Why the hell are the Enforcers called palanite enforcers and not palatine? I thought it was the latter because they are the personal enforcers of Necromunda's ruler and palanite was just a typo, but searching through the warcom pages, they are called palanite every time.

    My guess is that they want to avoid the risk of them being mistaken for Palpatine enforcers and incurring the wrath of Disney.

  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Those were the good times, all the metal parts available as bits, and as employe they cost a fraction of the retail price.

    edit: Why the hell are the Enforcers called palanite enforcers and not palatine? I thought it was the latter because they are the personal enforcers of Necromunda's ruler and palanite was just a typo, but searching through the warcom pages, they are called palanite every time.

    My guess is that they want to avoid the risk of them being mistaken for Palpatine enforcers and incurring the wrath of Disney.

    'Palatine' is straight up Latin, I'm not sure even the Mouse's lawyers could get much traction on that.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    For that same reason GW wouldn't be able to trademark the name though, see Tau to T'au shenanigans.

  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    But normaly the names still mean something. Beide all noun+verb/nou+noun names there are normallysome eytymological roots in the names, be it pig latin or greek. Palanite? Can't find anything beside a character from a koream video game called Palanus and google telling I'm looking for planus.

    Unless they're going for the palantir connection?

    honovere on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 31
    What the heck do: Dru'Khari, Aeldari, Orruk, Sylvaneth, or any of the other neo-names mean? They're all just trademarkable bastardizations of their original names. You already answered your own question: Palanite is a bastardization of Palatine. I don't think it's much more complicated then that.

    McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    LanlaornGolden YakLord_Asmodeus
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just tripping up my brain because it's too close to palatine, making it look like a typo.
    Drukhari is far enough from gaelic dark and Sylvaneth from latin wood that it sounds like its own thing while you can make a connection if you want to.

  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    For that same reason GW wouldn't be able to trademark the name though, see Tau to T'au shenanigans.

    I'm not entirely sure. They probably wouldn't be able to trademark 'palatine' just on it's lonesome, but they might be able to get 'palatine enforcers' as a package. I assume that Adeptus Mechanicus has been trademarked and per the Google Translate that's just Obtained Mechanic in Latin. Palanite does sound very different and makes me wonder why they didn't just go with palatinian to keep a more similar sound.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Hmm I did not expect to have them seen at Barnes and Noble
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/31/growing-your-games-night/
    dmehjnkxo7xd.png

  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Part of me enjoys they are finally fleshing out the culture and world of the Necromunda. I feel they used Palpatine enforcers because it's the Hive Primus where Necromunda takes place so Latin in all

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    If they announce more new Space Marine stuff, but not a Codex 2.0, I'm going to freak out. Space Marine rules are spread out over way too many publications now.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    italianranma
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If they announce more new Space Marine stuff, but not a Codex 2.0, I'm going to freak out. Space Marine rules are spread out over way too many publications now.

    I'll be shocked if we're not getting a Codex revision alongside the new Primaris wave. Apparently a few datasheets have started replacing And They Shall Know No Fear with a new rule called Angels of Death, which suggests everything might be getting overhauled soon.

    italianranma
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    There are a bunch of rumors and hints as well as other questions they have not answered {the imperial fists primaris sprue} that point to a Codex 2.0 later this fall

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    I hope so. As a primarily Space Marine player it's one of the most fragmented factions, in terms of how many rules inserts and updates you need, and also not in a great place balance wise. Bolter discipline helped, especially as a Primaris player who by definition basically gets to play Adeptus Tau, but it didn't help enough.

    Don't get me wrong, there are some great Space Marine units (Bobby G, Hellblasters and Centurion Devastators immediately come to mind), but the army just feels...tepid as a whole. Some of that's just elite armies in 8th ed., some of it's just Space Marines needing some love.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    italianranma
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I think we'll see something more akin to the Stormcast though, smaller more focused books rather than a new big mega-marine book. Though perhaps a big marine legacy book with updated strats coming after the Vanguard codex.

  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    If they announce more new Space Marine stuff, but not a Codex 2.0, I'm going to freak out. Space Marine rules are spread out over way too many publications now.

    I'll be shocked if we're not getting a Codex revision alongside the new Primaris wave. Apparently a few datasheets have started replacing And They Shall Know No Fear with a new rule called Angels of Death, which suggests everything might be getting overhauled soon.

    Everyone seems convinced angels of death is just and they shall know no fear combined with the bolter discipline rule.


  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    Well this is dumb
    I have a ton of Tyranid warriors 12 of them 3 from the old start collecting box 3 from the battleforce of old {the ones that did in the 2000's that was basically a starter army in a box that needed help} and 6 more from the Tyranid assault swarm

    So I thought I will make the 6 in the assault hand to hand monsters
    Well I have 3 bone swords 2 whips tons of the claws on the old set of warriors . I consulted the codex a few times and thought well F I messed up I can either just do them all as deathspitters with scything talons or the talons with the claws

    O well

  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Isn’t there also supposed to be a Primaris-only faction coming out soon? I was planning on a second, non-DA Space Marine force. I keep daydreaming about Imperial Fists or something equally flashy, but I’m still working on my Dark Angels.

    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Isn’t there also supposed to be a Primaris-only faction coming out soon? I was planning on a second, non-DA Space Marine force. I keep daydreaming about Imperial Fists or something equally flashy, but I’m still working on my Dark Angels.

    I don't think it's a primaris only faction. It's just the rest of the vanguard line.


    GnomeTank
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm I did not expect to have them seen at Barnes and Noble
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/31/growing-your-games-night/
    dmehjnkxo7xd.png

    So stoked for that arena thing. I really want that AdMech model.

    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

    I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    edited August 1
    Stragint wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Hmm I did not expect to have them seen at Barnes and Noble
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/31/growing-your-games-night/
    dmehjnkxo7xd.png

    So stoked for that arena thing. I really want that AdMech model.
    I am going to wait till escalation comes out since I like Blackstone Fortress

    Brainleech on
    italianranma
This discussion has been closed.