As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Think it's time to shelve DS1 again for a while. Tore through the NG+ of my spear run using the Gold Tracer, so I could knock curved swords off the list. It's not a particularly exciting weapon type, even if the Gold Tracer looks awesome. Doesn't help that it's a weapon you wanna use 2h, but has the awful 1h-being-held-2d neutral pose.

Fought Gwyn fair to see what he's got on NG+, turns out he has a bit. One mistake could easily get me killed and it took quite a few swings to put him down.

But I think more than other runs I really felt like I was doing it just to have it done, which means I should play something else and come back later.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    no parry gwyn is fucking hard imo

he has no windows

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I cannot parry Gwyn.

Welcome to my hell.

Karoz wrote: »
    I cannot parry Gwyn.

Welcome to my hell.
    i'm a parry king but i eat it every time i try on him

i could probably pick it up eventually with effort but that runback sucks ass

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I’ve killed Gwyn without parry once. Now I just summon Solaire and let him tank, which he does a marvelous job at.

It's kind of like fighting Orphan of Kos where you have the ground make it so he swings over your head for an opening.

But what a slog of a fight and yeah the run back suuuucks.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I beat Gwyn my first and only time with a combination of Solaire taking the hits for me while I magic'd the shit out of him, and throwing in a few claymore hits when he really started to agro. I'm shit at parry, so I didn't even try. I think it took me . . . I want to say about 5 attempts?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Biggest problem I had was learning to react to his 180 swing he can do if you're hitting his back.

Gold Tracer hit fast enough to let me hit and roll it when it was coming, but it's tight.

Fighting him on NG with the Murakumo I just mowed him down without getting hit, because the roll attack is great and you can stagger the hell out of him.

I wonder, what do you think's the worst possible weapon for running through DS1?

I'm leaning towards the vanilla Greataxe; agonizingly slow, extremely short range, barely hits harder than a normal axe. I'd literally rather try to do a buff run with one of the broken straight swords.

I'm sure I'm forgetting worse, though.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I wonder, what do you think's the worst possible weapon for running through DS1?

I'm leaning towards the vanilla Greataxe; agonizingly slow, extremely short range, barely hits harder than a normal axe. I'd literally rather try to do a buff run with one of the broken straight swords.

I'm sure I'm forgetting worse, though.

I can’t stand the Gargoyle Tail Axe animations. It’s probably not the worst weapon but it looks like you’re trying to kill stuff with a pool noodle.

i'd say the Greataxe damage is aight

now the range and moveset... yeah. it's somehow maybe even a worse weapon in 3

i was having an off day and using the greataxe and recorded this masterpiece

https://youtu.be/j4iPzdImc7M

in general i feel like strength builds are kind of not great in DS1

quality builds have an equivalent or better option for nearly every good strength weapon

the sole exception possibly being the large club, which slaps

edited July 2019
    I really wish DS1 and 2 had the great machetes.

That quick vertical slam slam is just so satisfying in 3.

Instead, I will have to content myself with steamrolling 1 with the Demon's Greataxe. (turns out it wasn't time to shelve DS1 just yet, I just needed to feel the power of ultra weapons again).

Kamar on
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Started up Dark Souls 2, first ever run. Having a grand old time - currently in Harvest Valley. I think so far I prefer DS1 and BB to this one, but I mean, that’s like saying I prefer The White Album to Revolver. Running a sorcery build, which I’ve never done before.

Still trying to parse out the story. Things are starting to seem familiar in the same way MGS2 started to seem familiar...

President Evil on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I like how an off day for Elendil is still "Kills Artorias with a bad weapon".

Started up Dark Souls 2, first ever run. Having a grand old time - currently in Harvest Valley. I think so far I prefer DS1 and BB to this one, but I mean, that’s like saying I prefer The White Album to Revolver. Running a sorcery build, which I’ve never done before.

Still trying to parse out the story. Things are starting to seem familiar in the same way MGS2 started to seem familiar...

Regular or Scholars edition?

As usual a lot of story is taken from item descriptions but scholars does a bit more overt and awesome in its implications but alas Dark Souls 3 decided to totally ignore it.

cB557 wrote: »
    I like how an off day for Elendil is still "Kills Artorias with a bad weapon".
    an upshot of the weapon is the high poise break on it

if i hadn't been able to break him out of the buff in two hits i would have been fuuuuuucked

you're not estus cheesing through a buffed artorias

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Regular or Scholars edition?

As usual a lot of story is taken from item descriptions but scholars does a bit more overt and awesome in its implications but alas Dark Souls 3 decided to totally ignore it.

Scholar, on PS4.

Elendil wrote: »

Could you explain what the hell was going on there? I'm afraid I'm not understanding.

edited July 2019
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Could you explain what the hell was going on there? I'm afraid I'm not understanding.

Yellowfinger Heysel is an NPC invader who will attack anyone, including player invaders.

Elendil danced around letting the PC and NPC invaders fight until the opportunity came to kill both at the same time.

Kamar on
    That looks to be the swamp I'm basically right at in my DS3 play-through, so I was wondering. Though I don't play online, so I'll just have to kill Heysel my own self I suppose.

yeah i knew i was fucked with no estus so when they literally invaded me simultaneously i knew i had one chance

no idea why the guy was so aggro on heysel when he could have probably gotten me in two R1s but i'll take it

Kalnaur wrote: »
    That looks to be the swamp I'm basically right at in my DS3 play-through, so I was wondering. Though I don't play online, so I'll just have to kill Heysel my own self I suppose.

IIRC you need to be embered in order to get npc invasions like 1, they don't have the sliding scale (well mostly how many Forlorn show up) depending on your health in 2.

Less of an issue since you aren't playing online but easy to miss stuff.

Confession: Sometimes I skip the DLC in DS1, not because I don't want to do it, but because I didn't free Dusk while I was there the first time and the thought of having to go

Undead Parish->Run allllll the way down to Free Dusk->Bone->Anor Londo->Run to entry of archives for Pendant->Undead Parish->Run alllllll the way down for portal

is too much.

I usually free her early, since I run 15 int+oolacile wand on 95% of characters for utility. But when I don't. ehhhhhhh.

I forgot how dumb poise+ultras can be.

https://youtu.be/C2S9OBH0SRs

Very dumb.

it's trippy how tiny the health bars are in ds1

you can probably take out ornstein and smough in like five or six hits with a beefy weapon

then the get to bloodborne and ds3 and you might do 15% with a full stamina bar dump

edited July 2019
    it's trippy how tiny the health bars are in ds1

you can probably take out ornstein and smough in like five or six hits with a beefy weapon

then the get to bloodborne and ds3 and you might do 15% with a full stamina bar dump

I honestly prefer it, you can always fight against giant health bars in NG+ if you want to make sure you really know the fight.

Kamar on
    Manus doesn't respect my poise. Neither does Kalameet.

At least Gwyn does?

https://youtu.be/tQEJFFQH2FE?t=180
    https://youtu.be/AW-PmIFqILY
    https://youtu.be/8-5s-uYzvmA

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    If you don't have any interference, DS4 wireless should be faster wrt input lag. Apparently, even comparing 'old DS4 wireless' to 'new and allegedly improved DS4 wired mode'.

For reasons.

https://i.imgur.com/6rVNjSU.png
    https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/noodalls-input-lag-testing-unique-method-games-controllers-etc-dbzf-x1-beta-mvci-ps4-added/182254

Huh. I never would have guessed that, thanks for the info and the link.

Back on 360, there was a controller function and latency-testing app in the indie section. It was also great for checking thumbstick travel, particularly when I did things like transplant thumbsticks from an old DS2, and needed to gradually shave off material to get them to function properly. It’s a shame there does not appear to be something similar for PS4.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Since I've last posted, I've been lingering at the endgame of Bloodborne, trying out the Chalice dungeons. I've done about ... four so far? I got as far as the Bloodletting Beast and tried the first Hintertomb, but nothing of depth 4 or higher. I think I've done enough of them for one playthrough, though, as they're getting a bit stale. I hope to finish the game in the next day or two since there's nothing love besides the Wetnurse and whatever ending I decide on.

Incidentally, I used my second Blood Rock on the Whirly Saw, a decision I don't regret after doing a dry run on the Blood Crow and killing him in one try. Yeah, you want to heal up, Crow! Should have thought of that before facing someone with six saw blades on a stick! I didn't even need the poison knives and numbing potions I prepared for the fight.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    edited July 2019
    Somehow, noticing background noise in those clips sent me on a multi-hour journey involving a bunch of audio programs and streamer tech, fighting to get clean audio. Even though clips like this and streaming for a friend or my sister is all I every do where this would be at all useful.

I have now surrendered, because as far as I can tell Dark Souls can only output to the default audio channel, which means at the very least it's impossible to get rid of system sounds and anything else that can only output to default.

I'm not entirely sure why these programs can't differentiate audio sources by program the same way it's split in the Windows volume mixer, though...?

edit: Hell, the built-in streaming for Discord can limit its audio capture to the window you're getting video from, can't it? Why are these advanced audio programs less capable than that?

Kamar on
    edited July 2019
    I'm...not entirely sure I'm capable of beating Capra Demon with the great scythe. More accurately, beating the dogs with the capra demon with it swinging at me. The running attack goes over their heads, and the neutral is so slow they attack me out of it 100% of the time.

Hm.

edit: Had to just run up top and get lucky firebombing my feet. With the dogs dead the rest was easy.

Kamar on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    So, hey! Did you know that you can have a maximum of 99 insight? And, did you know that if you used items that are above that limit, like say all 62 Madman's Knowledge that you have when your insight is already at 73, the game let's you use them all anyway and effectively waste all of the remainder? Cause yeah....I didn't. So in short, I didn't get a third Blood Rock afterall.

Anyway, whatever. I killed the Final Boss, and the Other Final Boss, and the Other, Other Final Boss and got the truest ending. I'll probably do NG+ at some point, maybe do some more Chalice Dungeons, but for now I'm good. Now for a month break to shoot arrows at robot dinosaurs, and then it's back to Dark Souls 3!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
    You know what I keep finding hard to remember while playing Dark Souls 3? The special power of my weapon, whatever power that is. That L2 button, what did it used to be used for in the past games?

. . . oh, right, parry, the thing I never used until Bloodborne.

Well, that's that mystery solved!

Seriously, though, am I the only one forgetting about these powers/abilities? They seem useful, but I find it hard to remember that the L2 button does something useful now.

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    You're not alone, I've never used any power in my three runs of DS3.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I feel bad for you if you slowly walked across the swamp three times instead of dagger dashing.

uyvfOQy.png
    Quickstep makes the thrall axe my favorite weapon in Souls.

Too bad it's a fairly rare drop off mobs that can be a pain to mass farm.

Reynolds wrote: »
    I feel bad for you if you slowly walked across the swamp three times instead of dagger dashing.

I haven't done anything in the swamp but I also haven't wielded a dagger in any of these games ever. To single focused for me. I guess I'll look around before I go down there and see what I've got available to me.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I don't think I ever attacked with it, but I sure did spam the dash. There's a set of twin swords with the dash that I definitely used at some point, though.

uyvfOQy.png
This discussion has been closed.