As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    V1m, a noob, asks for guidance, advice and tips on upgrading from Ubuntu 18.04 to 19.04 when it goes final later this month.

V1m on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Pretty sure all you have to do is update and you're good to go, but I'm currently using Manjaro, which is a rolling release distro.

I've just realized that this comment probably isn't very useful to you, @V1m. Sorry about that.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    No actually that's pretty much what I did to go from 18.04 to 18.10. Shut down all apps, ran the updater, let it do it's thing, rebooted. Worked perfectly.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    on occasion the do-release-upgrade has failed for one reason or another for me. In these instances I'm still able to get to a tty terminal and basically finish the upgrade.

The thing about the non-LTS releases is that unless they're putting something in there I actively want, I don't bother with them. They largely feel like beta releases of what Ubuntu can be, and never is.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    august wrote: »
    Trying stick with Antergos for a while. Any of you arch heads know what the best way to update an Arch-based system with some AUR packages currently is? Right now I'm just running "yay" without any arguments and it seems to work fine?

Bit late but I've been doing the same.

Regarding Antergos, it is a nice slick way to not have to go through the hassle of setting up Arch from scratch. I am still feel tension between how I want to setup a system and how the Arch people do. Basically I see most ad-hoc customization and configuration as waste, I'd much rather have a system with sane workable defaults then a system that allows heavy customization. Actually it may be tension with most of the Linux world.

Ironically my mentality comes from some limited sys admin stuff I've done in the past which quickly evolved to my thinking away from customizing servers by hand due to it not scaling. I've heard the mentality summed up as treating servers like cattle versus pets. I also want to treat my desktop systems like cattle. Any configuration I can't easily check into a git repo feels like a waste of time to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Trying stick with Antergos for a while. Any of you arch heads know what the best way to update an Arch-based system with some AUR packages currently is? Right now I'm just running "yay" without any arguments and it seems to work fine?

Regarding Antergos, it is a nice slick way to not have to go through the hassle of setting up Arch from scratch. I am still feel tension between how I want to setup a system and how the Arch people do. Basically I see most ad-hoc customization and configuration as waste, I'd much rather have a system with sane workable defaults then a system that allows heavy customization. Actually it may be tension with most of the Linux world.

Ironically my mentality comes from some limited sys admin stuff I've done in the past which quickly evolved to my thinking away from customizing servers by hand due to it not scaling. I've heard the mentality summed up as treating servers like cattle versus pets. I also want to treat my desktop systems like cattle. Any configuration I can't easily check into a git repo feels like a waste of time to me.

I really like what Fedora Silverblue is doing. The entire system (except for etc) is immutable and all user applications are installed as Flatpaks. Any extra system packages you install exist as a layer distinct from the base system, and if an OS upgrade goes wrong you can downgrade to the exact previous state of the system.

I'm not running it on my machine right now; it's still bit wonky. You have to install any development tools you need in a dedicated container, and any system upgrades/layer customizations require a reboot. But I've experienced botched distro upgrades before, and it seems like Silverblue would make them a thing of the past.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I finally did it, on Friday night.

I came home after a long week at the lab, and was getting ready to start getting my data organized for analysis when my trusty Windows machine failed to even spin the fans when I pushed the power button. Further tests confirmed the PSU was a-ok, so it's toast.

I got my old gaming desktop out, put Ubuntu on it, and holy crap, why didn't I do this before. I even played a bit of Doom today.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »

I really like what Fedora Silverblue is doing. The entire system (except for etc) is immutable and all user applications are installed as Flatpaks. Any extra system packages you install exist as a layer distinct from the base system, and if an OS upgrade goes wrong you can downgrade to the exact previous state of the system.

I'm not running it on my machine right now; it's still bit wonky. You have to install any development tools you need in a dedicated container, and any system upgrades/layer customizations require a reboot. But I've experienced botched distro upgrades before, and it seems like Silverblue would make them a thing of the past.

NixOS was trying to do something similar as well. It looked interesting but it seemed like there was a real steep learning curve there.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    I finally did it, on Friday night.

I came home after a long week at the lab, and was getting ready to start getting my data organized for analysis when my trusty Windows machine failed to even spin the fans when I pushed the power button. Further tests confirmed the PSU was a-ok, so it's toast.

I got my old gaming desktop out, put Ubuntu on it, and holy crap, why didn't I do this before. I even played a bit of Doom today.

If you're experience was like mine, it was like trying to boot your way through a door, only it wasn't locked or even on the latch.

Purposely set aside a whole weekend for :learningcurve:

40 minutes later, Steam instealled and playing a game.

• Options
    I had the good fortune to be learning linux because I had been promoted to internal IT and all they use is linux, at the same time that I was exploring using it for a gaming machine at home.

It has never stopped being rewarding for me. Sometimes my friends get annoyed that a game they like isn't available to me, but for most things I can find a way to still get it done, and if I can't, there's always a new game they want to play. Just give them a week.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I first ran Linux in 96 with Slackware 96.

I saw the book+CD in the Barnes and Noble and I had to have it!

I used to hang out at a friend's house and while the others were lan gaming he and I would be doing weird shit on our Linux installs.

I really have no interest in ever running another OS.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    n16bgs1vexv21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=3f140099830a407b7230ee2f8fcc565bac995e22

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    I first ran Linux in 96 with Slackware 96.

I saw the book+CD in the Barnes and Noble and I had to have it!

I used to hang out at a friend's house and while the others were lan gaming he and I would be doing weird shit on our Linux installs.

I really have no interest in ever running another OS.

You and I have a similar origin story, though I think it was around 98 and I used a site that print distros to a disc.

Sad thing is I pretty much exclusively use macOS nowadays.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So I'm expanding my home FreeIPA setup in preparation for adding a Ceph cluster to it and I'm getting the "can we automate that bug" some more: so it's possible in the near future I'm going to see if I can pull the CA authority bit of it out, and have IPA forward certmonger requests directly to LetsEncrypt (I guess by calling out to some dummy webserver which would pretend to be whatever domain I asked for).

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Hey, could someone look at a question I posted over at Server Fault (https://serverfault.com/questions/975480/did-not-update-grub-properly-when-upgrading-linode-instance-from-debian-jessie-t)? The long and short of it is that I'm in the process of updating my Linode instance from Jessie to Stable, and may have accidentally fucked up GRUB. I'm not sure how to proceed. The question itself has all the relevant details.

Thanks!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Hey, could someone look at a question I posted over at Server Fault (https://serverfault.com/questions/975480/did-not-update-grub-properly-when-upgrading-linode-instance-from-debian-jessie-t)? The long and short of it is that I'm in the process of updating my Linode instance from Jessie to Stable, and may have accidentally fucked up GRUB. I'm not sure how to proceed. The question itself has all the relevant details.

Thanks!

I haven't used Debian in ages, so I'm not confidant enough in my answer to post it over there, but you may be able to force the package reconfiguration by running this as root:
    dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

(Is grub-pc the right package? Maybe double check that.)

If The Debian Way doesn't work, you may have to use the tools provided by Grub to do things manually. You'll probably be executing grub-mkdevicemap and grub-mkconfig with various flags at some point. I'd assume that grub doesn't differ between distributions too much, but maybe double check that the paths are right before copy/pasting instructions from the Arch Linux wiki or whatever.

• Options
    I may just have replaced my computer with a laptop from system 76 as a sort of self congrats on my newest gig.

I might have went a little overboard as it has more ram than my homelab server.

• Options
    System76 is some nice stuff. That's what we buy for our laptops.

A little pricey, though!

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    System76 is some nice stuff. That's what we buy for our laptops.

A little pricey, though!

Yeah they sure are.

I picked up a new refresh of the gazelle pro.

I speced it with 64 gigs of RAM because I plan to replace my home lab with it. I am making a project for myself to build and blog a virtual lab.

I plan to set it up so that it starts 4 - 2 cpu x 12 gig ram K8 nodes and then build infra from there.

I am going to use Ansible to bring it all up/down and control it.

Off when playing games of course

• Options
    They called me to ask if I had any questions about pop! OS

Umm. It's just modified Ubuntu. . Ummm, no?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I've ran into a weird head-scratcher of a bug with Raspbian on the new Raspberry Pi 4B.

For some reason if I touch the volume controls at all in any HTML5 video in Firefox (60.8.0 ESR, only the ESR version is in the repos for whatever reason) I lose all sound output from Firefox.
    Chrome, VLC and Kodi all still output audio perfectly fine, and restarting the pulseaudio daemon has no effect... Soooo... Only a reboot temporarily 'fixes' it.

It must be a bug in FF then? I really don't know what's causing it or how to remedy it. :?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    They called me to ask if I had any questions about pop! OS

Umm. It's just modified Ubuntu. . Ummm, no?
    I'd just wipe it and stick Lubuntu or Xubuntu on there. :)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t use Lubuntu, it was a goddamn mess last time I tried it.

• Options
    Lubuntu does tend to be a mess. I've had more success with it on extremely old systems (Like an iBook G3) than I have Xubuntu, but Xubuntu is still pretty lightweight without the mass of issues Lubuntu has.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I run Lubuntu on my server, and I ran it on a netbook for a while, with great success. It's an older image, like 3+ years. It's on an i5 with 32gb ram, two SSDs and a.... Uh... Four drive HDD RAID array.

It's been trucking for a long time, and does a fair bit of work. Hell, I use it for small development in mono in a pinch.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What I’m talking about specifically is their (I think) latest release which was a Frankenstein monster of Gnome, Openbox and Qt. I’d try to change some themes and shit would just break or not launch anymore.

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I dropped MATE Mint on it because the graphics set up was a pain in Manjaro.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    My linux birthday was yesterday! I celebrated it, as is tradition, with an apparently intractable technical problem. Ordered new RAM and a 1Tb NVME drive for the second slot on the motherboard - the 500Gb EVO 970 was filling up kinda too quick. The physical installation was trivial of course, although there was something of a learning curve with this idea of mounting drives, and then another one with permissions when Steam tried to claim that the drive was "write only", but anyway fstab and I are friends now and that was OK.
    Then after a few days, the reboots began. It got to the point where I couldn't run the PC for more than a few minutes without *boom* PC is suddenly restarting wait what?

Much googling and SOS posting ensued, and it got to the point where it was fairly stable with 1 stick of RAM at default clock and the new NVME removed.

This morning I was running a full memtest - this is pretty boring, and about 50 mins in, I got super bored and like the naughty little monkey I am, I started fiddling with things. I noticed that there was some dust on one of the RAM slots and blew it off. Then I saw that the rest of the board was also kinda dusty, especially near the CPU, so I started blowing the dust off there, pretty hard. Hard enough to move the 8-pin power lead a very little.

BOOM restart!

Yeah I wasted two days troubleshooting a loose power cable.

I did this because I didn't have the confidence in my linuxing. I spent years on a tech support desk, I know goddamb well that one should always check the stupid, obvious, easy solutions first, but I got lost in the weeds. My Linuxing was actually just fine, tyvm - in fact I'm genuinely impressed with how little after effects there were from all those restarts.

Still, now I know about fstab and fsck and the Drives utility. And I have 32Gb of DDR 3200 instead of 16Gb of DDR3000. And I have a 260Gb Steam folder that only takes up a quarter of my games drive. And I am looking forward to another year of happy Linuxing.
    And I will remember to check that the fscking thing is plugged in next time there's any bother.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    double post because I'm a derp, as exampled above.

V1m on
  • Options
    Linux users tend to try really complicated solutions for simple problems, too. Just kinda a thing.

This weekend WoW got DDOS'd pretty hard all weekend. On Sunday, Blizz put in a fix which involved changing the TTL's and using ipv6 to thwart the IoT botnet in use. Well, this broke WoW for those of us on Linux.

On Reddit and on the forums, the solution posted was to change the TTL on your machine. Other solutions involved fucking with the network stack. Some people wrote scripts, other people fiddled with all sorts of other global settings.

I enabled ipv6 on my WoW client.

• Options
    They have Nvidia dual gpu stuff in the newest Manjaro beta.

Rebuild here I goooooo

• Options
    Anyone here use Snap? I'm looking for a way to search only for packages that support 'armhf', and I can't seem to find it.
    yd5kjzlgyxgi.png
    You would think that there would be a way to narrow down your search results by CPU architecture...

• Options
    edited September 2019
    If anyone's wanting linux guides and references, there's a humble bundle offer with 15 O'Reilly books (ebooks) for $15.

V1m on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Jumping in here in case anyone has advice. I was finally able to get a FreeNAS setup running on old hardware (i7 4770k and a bunch of spare drives)

ifconfig tells me the onboard NIC is at 100 Mbps when it should be getting Gigabit. I know I've used it at higher data rates, but in Windows.

I suspect there are BIOS settings I'm missing, but by chance is there a way to fix this via the console/command line in FreeNAS?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anybody have a recommendation for a distro for a low powered laptop? Its a 2011 MacBook Air, 4GB ram, i5. I've had this thing for nearly 8 years now, and I would like something better than macOS, which I cant get updates for anymore.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    lubuntu or xubuntu is probably not a bad way to start, since they're using LXDE and XFCE respectively as the desktop environment and both are pretty easy on resources.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Anybody have a recommendation for a distro for a low powered laptop? Its a 2011 MacBook Air, 4GB ram, i5. I've had this thing for nearly 8 years now, and I would like something better than macOS, which I cant get updates for anymore.

Unrelated, but thanks for giving me a lifespan on my Air. I appreciate knowing how long I can expect to have it before I’ll need to replace it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Seconding lubuntu.

• Options

Unrelated, but thanks for giving me a lifespan on my Air. I appreciate knowing how long I can expect to have it before I’ll need to replace it.

I've had to do a couple of things, like replace the battery and redo the heat paste. It could probably use a new fan, because the old one sticks every so often. I upgraded the SSD as well.

I love this little laptop though, its basically perfect. Apple hasn't really made anything comparable since.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Seconding lubuntu.

Yeah, of the two, I much prefer LXDE over XFCE. It provides a more standard desktop experience compared to XFCE, in my opinion.

I was trying to think of some DEs that provide more of a OSX feel if you're looking to replicate that, but I think a distro with gnome3 (e.g. Fedora) with some choice extensions or Ubunut's Unity is the best way to go there. I think either should still be more than fine on an i5, though.

LXDE is still one of the better, and better known, lightweight DEs though so I would still recommend it if you're at all worried about performance.

mightyjongyo on