As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Schooliosis

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Schooliosis

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I'm the opposite, I like games where you go to school because it gives me a chance to have some sort of school experience that isn't total ass.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The "at school" genre seems pretty over-tapped, especially in the Japanese markets. I'd like to see more games that take place in call centers and cubicle farms.

• ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Hopefully they don't find out about the Persona series.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The "at school" genre seems pretty over-tapped, especially in the Japanese markets. I'd like to see more games that take place in call centers and cubicle farms.

There are a lot more shows that feature anime old people.

But nothing can stop isekai... it's even consumed the anime old people genre.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I don't recall heading home from school every day so I could play video games about going to school. If anything, I played them to escape the bullshit of reality, like with school.

FireballDragon on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Hopefully they don't find out about the Persona series.

Well, on stream they played at least one Japanese anime game that heavily involved going to school.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I guess they didn't hear that at the halfway point of the game, you get to kick out the teachers and turn the school into your command post as you attempt to take over the entire country. Can't do that in Persona.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I actually liked school. It was a way to escape an abusive father while also being the only way I had to be with my friends.

Nightslyr wrote: »
    I actually liked school. It was a way to escape an abusive father while also being the only way I had to be with my friends.

Sometimes I really wish there were other buttons than "Agree" and "Awesome".

• v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    In the accompanying post Tycho pretty much admits that his relationship with school would qualify as fairly abnormal. Some people had great school experiences, some did not. The creators of Penny-Arcade obviously find themselves pretty far along the spectrum in the later direction. So, I suspect that occasional comics and posts like this are cheaper than therapy.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I liked how he acknowledged that his kids both have very different reactions to school. His son, like him, finds it a stifling or even harrowing ordeal done only out of obligation. His daughter, however, feeds off the structure and human contact.

It’s almost like...a one-size-fits all approach to education is a bad thing.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited August 2019
    If not for finding a really good (authentic) Montessori school with an amazing teacher that is smart, flexible and caring, and our being able to afford the small fortune it costs to send him there year after year, my son would find school to be a misery. He has some pretty severe ADHD and potentially spectrum issues (as Jerry posts, "in my experience spectrum stuff always exists in a unique combination"). In most regular schools he'd be doomed by the lack of movement, the inability for him to do different stuff than everyone else is doing (like opting out of a "special speaker" that requires everyone to sit in a circle and listen attentively for half an hour), and the requirement that he progress through the same benchmarks as everyone else on the same timeline.

Instead, he's a happy 8 year old kid who likes school and adores his teacher.

(I do dread high school more than a little bit. His school stops after junior high, and the only Montessori high school is a 20 minute drive not including traffic on the other side of a major metropolitan metro. And that's assuming he would even be able to find a spot there.)

dennis on
  • shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    @T-DANGER The teachers stay if you recruit them in the majority of paths. The only ones that don't are catherine seteth and gilbert if you do the black eagles route.

I'm with lucas that it would be nice if they did something besides the school genre.

shadowysea07 on