As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy 14! Shadowbringers! The best expansion to an MMO ever!

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    AST gets big healing potency increases

Now if they just made the card mechanic interesting, or atleast got rid of half the buttons it takes.

The cards were interesting, it was just thet Royal Road made every card play practically require a party buff. Personally, I would've left all the cards except Ewer and Spire as they were. For Ewer I would change it to give an MP discount on spells instead of a weak regen. For Spire it would give either a move speed boost or cooldown acceleration (eg two seconds of a cooldown for each second).
    "Were" being the important word here.
    Right now, apart from the 3 types needed for the party buff, in practice there are 2 cards.
    Melee/tank damage buff an ranged/healer damage buff.
    And that buff is so minuscule that i tend to throw it on the tank anyway just so i can move on faster towards the party buff and not waste time switching targets.
    Ofcourse pre shadowbringer i just kept the mp regen card as a backup so i could get mana back, so not that much variety there either.

Card mechanic has way too many buttons dedicated to it for all the (lack of) depth it has.
    I'd trade the whole card mechanic for couple extra "oh shit" emergency heals that are not tied to global cooldown.

8% dmg buff is pretty significant.

The party buff is significant, yes.
    The tinier buffs needed to get there, not really worth changing targets for the few extra percentages, not needed on trash and on boss i am usually busy.
    Once i have the party buff ready for a boss, i can then transform the cards and use them more appropriately, but then i often find myself in a group of nothing but melee and get nothing but ranged buffs :D

My point is that there are too many buttons dedicated for a mechanic that has so little to it.
    The cards should have more variation, or maybe we could do an actual reading for a set of cards (with actual differing and interesting effects) we could then fashion into buffs to be used.
    I just find the astrologist job mechanic to be very boring and clunky.

edit-
    Improvement idea:
    Every symbol (sun, crescent moon, full moon) has their own effect.
    you assemble a hand of 3 to do a party buff, and the buff depends on the symbols you have.
    More of a given symbol means stronger that effect, and 3 of a symbol gives unique extra bonus depending on symbol, and each symbol different gives also it's unique extra buff.
    Sun: Heal over time
    Crescent: evade
    Full: critical rate up
    all sun: direct hit up
    all crescent: extra damage
    all full: movement speed?
    all different: not sure on this, maybe a party cleanse of a single debuff?

Other than that, get rid of redraw and put back buttons, once you have a card, you must use it, either by transforming it to minor arcana or using it as is and adding the symbol to your hand.

Nyysjan on
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Trick attack does not bring enough to the table actually. It's bringing 1,000-1,250 rDPS to the group on average as I recall from FFLogs.

A SAM or DRG (I'm thinking MNK, BLM, & BRD too) will bring more even factoring in TA.

DRG has both high personal DPS and a pair of strong buffs to boost party DPS, so... yeah, they beat Ninja handily at the moment.

But NIN's problem isn't just the numbers. The execution required for them in 5.0 is insane.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to go into the nitty gritty of our John Madden one strike you're out rotation :/

Edit: Also! NIN is totally super fun to play as someone who has mained it since it came out. I'm talking about cutting edge content, which is usually how the class balancing works. I've cleared the current Normal raid and EXs without issue.

I full intend to play it as much as I can, but we're... fairly messed up as a class.

Edit2: Math doesn't lie--the Balance discord maths all these things out. https://thebalanceffxiv.com/

Qanamil on
    So i have been levelling bard last couple days, gone from 35 to 45 now.
    Mechanically it's fine, but thematically the job feels weird.
    I have these songs that i sing to buff myself. But shouldn't i, as a bard, be buffing everyone else? Maybe debuffing enemies?
    I don't feel like a bard.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I have these songs that i sing to buff myself. But shouldn't i, as a bard, be buffing everyone else? Maybe debuffing enemies?

Your songs used to do that. Almost all the support stuff was removed for Shadowbringers. The three songs would increase crit rate for everyone while they were up.

You also had Foe's Requiem, a song which increased damage taken by enemies while draining your mana.

Only Battle Voice, Warden's Paean, Troubadour and Nature's Minne are there for support now (outside of role actions).

I'd guess it had something to do with them adding Dancer as the support DPS.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
    edited July 2019
    Also, the self buffs i do have feel, underwhelming.
    Mage's Ballad can go it's whole duration without procking once (not usually, but it has happened several times in the past couple days), and Army's Paeon reduces weapon skill cast time, while all my skills are instants.
    Sure the auto attack speed increase is nice, but it is fairly minor increase, and again, it's possible to not get any stacks in the 30 second duration (though i usually get couple).

If i had a way to get my dots on all enemies faster then maybe they would be better, but as it is, i use them more out of habit than use.
    Though to be fair, when Mage's Ballad does chain proc, it's amazeballs, and i have barely time to click any other abilities than Bloodletter.

edit-
    Also to be fair, i am level 45.
    And unfortunately lot of the good toys are available only at post 50 or even post 60.
    Which i think is poor design, but whatcanido. So the class might be the most amazeballs thing ever once i hit some arbitrary level requirement. We'll see how it goes.

Nyysjan on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    For Army's Paeon the important thing is that it reduces weaponskill recast time as well, meaning you get to spam your skills more often. It's definitely the least important of the Bard songs (in SB it was usually optimal to end Army's Paeon early to go back into Wanderer’s Minuet, not sure if that's still the case now), but it is still a moderate DPS gain.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited July 2019
    Yes, the recast reduction should help, but i have not really noticed much of a difference (but, again, i usually get to 2 stacks, and often not even that).
    edit-
    just checked, Army's Paeon gave me .3 second reduction on recast at 3 stacks (and then the buff ended)
    It's not that the buffs are bad (well, they kinda are).
    It's that they are unreliable (which makes them bad).
    Mage's Ballad is either literally useless or amazeballs, and Army's Paeon is either useless or ok.
    I'm just not getting enough procs to make them good in a reliable manner.

Nyysjan on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Yes, the recast reduction should help, but i have not really noticed much of a difference (but, again, i usually get to 2 stacks, and often not even that).
    edit-
    just checked, Army's Paeon gave me .3 second reduction on recast at 3 stacks (and then the buff ended)
    Mage's Ballad is either literally useless or amazeballs, and Army's Paeon is either useless or ok.

Putting both dots on multiple targets (even one extra) in dungeons or overworld really brings the prof rate up a ton.

And the Army’s Paeon reduction is absolutely noticeable at 5 stacks. Also, as it is % based, it should also be more noticeable as gear improves too. It is still the weakest of the bard songs for dps though.

I do like the bard play style though. It’s fun. Still don’t like the final part of the rotation coming in at 52. (Wanderer’s Minuet)

steam_sig.png
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    edit-

Yeah until you get your level 68 traits guarantees a proc of your song with Empyreal Arrowg, they're very underwhelming. Bards aren't in a super great place right now since they basically made us Rangers instead of bards. Still my main since 2.0 though.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Even in 2.0 when bards had a few unique buff songs and stuff, they never felt like bards to me. The songs felt like a gimmick that was slapped on the top for a bit of extra flair.

It would take a complete rewrite of combat, and a complete rewrite of the balance of pretty much every encounter in the game... but I'd still like to see support made into a viable role choice all on its own. Dedicated support. That's what the bard is in my mind. They should have a whole suite of support skills, songs that are both buffs and debuffs.

Likewise, Dancer is really fun, and I'm maining it now and loving it, but I also think they totally missed the mark for class fantasy of what a dancer is in the fantasy setting at large. They should lean more heavily into support.

I know that isn't realistic or possible. But a man can dream.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Adding a fourth role to the game would be effectively recoding the entire game.

As is, a “support” role would either be necessary or completely useless. Depending on if encounters were designed with them assumed in the group or designed with them assumed to not be in a group.

What actions could a support role even have? Shields would be stepping on healer toes, Damage mitigation would be moving it away from individual player responsibility, in addition to stealing a bit of thunder from tanks using their party mitigation actions. Damage buffs are either too good or not good enough, with very little room in between. Enemy debuffs are a good idea, I missed that on first read, but I see that quickly running into the same necessary/unnecessary design space.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    There are plenty of games out there with really strong support roles that you could look to for inspiration.

Record Keeper (the mobile game) actually has really strong supports. You could do something like Breaks (debuffs to specific stats), Weaken resistances, the reverse of those, haste, crit, combos, chains, etc. I would imagine if support was a fully fleshed out role, combos and skill chains would be a big aspect and it would be the support players that kick them off.

Anyway, I know it would take a complete rewrite. I said that. I also know for 14 that is pretty much impossible. I said all of those things.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So I'm still digging summoner, even if it's not quite as flashy at level 52 as I would have liked. I've seen some high level summoners doing some flashy stuff so I've got lots to look forward to. But my alt-job-itis is always a risk. I'm looking at dragoon now, which is funny because that was the first class I got to 50 in ARR before I restarted a few weeks ago. But it looks like the class is more interesting and effective than it was in 2.0. Also as I still have the road to 70 buff, leveling to 50 is pretty trivial.

I do think I'm going to stick with my summoner though. He's really fun in dungeons, as he has a few AoE abilities now.

So I'm still digging summoner, even if it's not quite as flashy at level 52 as I would have liked. I've seen some high level summoners doing some flashy stuff so I've got lots to look forward to. But my alt-job-itis is always a risk. I'm looking at dragoon now, which is funny because that was the first class I got to 50 in ARR before I restarted a few weeks ago. But it looks like the class is more interesting and effective than it was in 2.0. Also as I still have the road to 70 buff, leveling to 50 is pretty trivial.

I do think I'm going to stick with my summoner though. He's really fun in dungeons, as he has a few AoE abilities now.

Surrender to the inevitable. Level everything. Join us.

steam_sig.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Moonfire Faire deets are up. This year's reward includes a kiddie pool.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Moonfire Faire deets are up. This year's reward includes a kiddie pool.

Our FC house needs like 20.

Stabbity_Style.png

Surrender to the inevitable. Level everything. Join us.

Well I mean that's probably going to happen eventually. But which one FIRST?

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular

People have already covered how Bard lost most of their support abilities for Dancer, but I have to note how it's seriously bad design if you nerf one class in order to make a new class look good. It pisses off the nerfed class' mains and shows a lack of confidence in the new class. If they did a bit of thinking I'm sure they could've come up with a way to give Dancer buffs that would leave it distinct from the Bard. For example, they could've made the Step buff give themselves and their dance partner haste instead of a damage increase.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Bard’s not nerfed just different. They’ve been stripping support abilities from dps since 2.0.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I have no regrets swapping from machinist to dragoon main in Stormblood and Shadowbringers just made the class that much more awesome. In 2.0 I was doing bard but swapped when they took away their mobility.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    Making us Bow mages was certainly a bold move. Glad they learned their lesson but they showed they weren't opposed to totally shifting how a class plays.

steam_sig.png
    The Sin Eaters are a really refreshing enemy set to fight against. Aesthetically, lorewise, and just in general, I really like the enemies we're fighting in this expansion. Monster design is something that sometimes jumps out at me as being incredible. Not often. But sometimes. But this expansion is one of those times.

The last time a FF game really jumped out at me as having amazing monster designs was FFX. That game had a really tight aesthetic as well.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

People have already covered how Bard lost most of their support abilities for Dancer, but I have to note how it's seriously bad design if you nerf one class in order to make a new class look good. It pisses off the nerfed class' mains and shows a lack of confidence in the new class. If they did a bit of thinking I'm sure they could've come up with a way to give Dancer buffs that would leave it distinct from the Bard. For example, they could've made the Step buff give themselves and their dance partner haste instead of a damage increase.

BRD didn't change THAT much between SB and ShB, their songs mostly work the same as they did they just don't provide the (small) party buff. BRD was only loosely support so it's no surprise that it became the middle between MCH's pure DPS and DNC's "heavy" support. They still have BV and are actually in a good spot right now. For my savage group we're bringing BRD as our ranged because DNC is, if anything, somewhat undertuned.

McMoogle wrote: »
    Making us Bow mages was certainly a bold move. Glad they learned their lesson but they showed they weren't opposed to totally shifting how a class plays.

Regarding a total class overhaul, I think they should do that with monk. I've mentioned this before, but monk to me feels like a totally under-represented class. It has for a while now. I just don't see very many (or any) monks about. Really, the only monks I encounter are super low level ones when I queue for the Leveling Roulette and I get a level 16 monk in Sastasha in my party. Other than that I just don't see the class at all anymore.

I think they could really revitalize that class by dipping deeply into FFVI the same way the did with Machinist. They basically just made Machinist into "Edgar the class" and I think they could do the same thing with a great effect with Monk. Turn Monk into "Sabin the class." And it would be greatly improved.

Instead of their weird stance system and greased lightning, which honestly none of that has a very strong class fantasy, they should throw all that out the window and do a Blitz system. They could do a couple simple Blitzes on a low cooldown timer, and a couple bigger blitzes on a longer cooldown timer, and maybe some sort of big, super flashy mega-blitz that would be like on a 2-minute timer. Basically let you work your way up some sort of Blitz/combo tree to bigger and better moves.

If I can suplex a train, I'd play a monk.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    McMoogle wrote: »

Regarding a total class overhaul, I think they should do that with monk. I've mentioned this before, but monk to me feels like a totally under-represented class. It has for a while now. I just don't see very many (or any) monks about. Really, the only monks I encounter are super low level ones when I queue for the Leveling Roulette and I get a level 16 monk in Sastasha in my party. Other than that I just don't see the class at all anymore.

I think they could really revitalize that class by dipping deeply into FFVI the same way the did with Machinist. They basically just made Machinist into "Edgar the class" and I think they could do the same thing with a great effect with Monk. Turn Monk into "Sabin the class." And it would be greatly improved.

Instead of their weird stance system and greased lightning, which honestly none of that has a very strong class fantasy, they should throw all that out the window and do a Blitz system. They could do a couple simple Blitzes on a low cooldown timer, and a couple bigger blitzes on a longer cooldown timer, and maybe some sort of big, super flashy mega-blitz that would be like on a 2-minute timer. Basically let you work your way up some sort of Blitz/combo tree to bigger and better moves.

This leads me to the following concept:
    Completing basic weaponskill chains gives a buff that lets you use a blitz. Each blitz advances you through stances changing which blitzes are available, building up to a big finisher on the third blitz, which resets you to your first stance.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm going to finish the MSQ with SAM and then get a tank and healer leveled up (PLD and WHM lets just be honest). I should probably do something ranged after that. Kind of waffling between BRD and BLM.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if you do BLM it'll get you the last series of role quests you'll be missing at that point, since the physical ranged DPS share theirs with the melee DPS.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    edit-
    Also to be fair, i am level 45.
    And unfortunately lot of the good toys are available only at post 50 or even post 60.
    Which i think is poor design, but whatcanido. So the class might be the most amazeballs thing ever once i hit some arbitrary level requirement. We'll see how it goes.

Getting Army's Paeon before Wanderer's Minuet is a real dickpunch tbh. Also getting Pitch Perfect as soon as you ding 52 but not getting Minuet until you do a class quest that can't be done until you finish 2.55 is *chef's kiss*.

I like Bard because they're a bow class that isn't Woodsman-with-a-Pet. Fuck Rangers tbh.

admanb on
    if you do BLM it'll get you the last series of role quests you'll be missing at that point, since the physical ranged DPS share theirs with the melee DPS.

Agreeing with this. You should toss a damage caster in there somewhere. Rdm or Blm depending on your tastes.

steam_sig.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh, I haven't done a lot of MNK this expansion so this is probably more StB experience but MNK is kinda fun. I just wish Tornado Kick was a lil easier to use. It is a fast-paced class compared to say...SAM.

I wonder tho, with the existence of True North if they should just ditch positionals. I mean, as a DRG I feel like it's up most of the time I would REALLY need it (Raiden Trust req) so it kinda becomes like an unnecessary extra step that requires no critical decision making from the user.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Oh, I haven't done a lot of MNK this expansion so this is probably more StB experience but MNK is kinda fun. I just wish Tornado Kick was a lil easier to use. It is a fast-paced class compared to say...SAM.

I wonder tho, with the existence of True North if they should just ditch positionals. I mean, as a DRG I feel like it's up most of the time I would REALLY need it (Raiden Trust req) so it kinda becomes like an unnecessary extra step that requires no critical decision making from the user.

MNKs just got True North added into Riddle of Earth.

edited August 2019
    Also monks just had form shift turned into a greased-lightning-maintaining button with no cooldown, so you never have to drop your GL stacks again. Tornado kick is extremely useless now, six-sided strike is barely worth keeping on your bars, and the true north effect on riddle of earth is about the only reason to use it now. It's such a weird change that invalidates a lot of buttons, such that I have to think it's a bandaid fix while they work on more fundamental rotation redesign.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited August 2019
    levelled the lancer and rogue a bit, liking how the ninja job is handling soulstones (only level 35 now), the soulstone does not impart me knowledge, it just picked me as someone with talent, and the skill i gain are literally gained through training sessions.
    Always kinda disliked how it felt like i was not really studying, instead i just "unlocked" knowledge like some weird acchievement from the rock (especially weird when playing a scholar, and all the studying is done by a warrior).

Also got Dragoon to 35, having the old guy tell me about the "history" of the dragoons is kinda funny considering what we learn during Heavensward.

Nyysjan on
    Also monks just had form shift turned into a greased-lightning-maintaining button with no cooldown, so you never have to drop your GL stacks again. Tornado kick is extremely useless now, six-sided strike is barely worth keeping on your bars, and the true north effect on riddle of earth is about the only reason to use it now. It's such a weird change that invalidates a lot of buttons, such that I have to think it's a bandaid fix while they work on more fundamental rotation redesign.

That's a shame. I loved in StB that there was a payoff on knowing phase changes so you could dump your GL stacks into TK instead of just dropping them.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited August 2019
    on the bright side it feels pretty good not having to drop your stacks every time the boss leaves the arena for a phase transition or between trash packs, or ever for any reason

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Apparently there's some promotion where you get a free fantasia with the purchase of a 60 day timecard.
    https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/282175/final-fantasy-xiv-online-60-day-game-time-code-download

August 1st through 31st. Can't check the link cause I'm at work. I think it's also up for EU, too, for our EU peeps in here.
    https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/307018/final-fantasy-xiv-60-days-game-time-card-other

Stabbity_Style.png
    HMMMMM...

Shit should I go Big Kitty. I just saw a Hrothgar White Mage in a Tux. I'm soooo tempted.

HMMMMM...

Shit should I go Big Kitty. I just saw a Hrothgar White Mage in a Tux. I'm soooo tempted.

Yeah, I really have liked a bunch of the Hrothgar I've seen. But I don't wanna give up all my female clothing.

Stabbity_Style.png
    https://youtu.be/RXL3ttOehwg

Yup, this is on the "must get" list.

This discussion has been closed.