As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    We use SFB for conference calls currently. While it's total garbage to administrate, I still don't look forward to whatever we will have to do to transition to something else.

We use Teams, but currently we've only got it as a pilot program open to people in IT. I don't relish having to teach 6000 other people how to use a new program as complex as teams is.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    I really hoping they will be shaping up Teams then, because at is, it's a mixture of lots of different things, but doing none of them really well.

Given my experience trying to write an integration with Azure: that applies to mostly everything MS.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Skype is a swear word at my company ever since they forced everyone to start using it in lieu of an actual third party conferencing system. We have tons of clients and tons of meetings and every single one is a static-filled mess.

And yes, Azure is very clearly still in its infancy. The "Microsoft Support" we get never has a clear answer to solve our very specific problems because they've either never run into them or they don't have the expertise readily available to help, and our in-house staff are forced to run through a series of configuration changes until they finally run into the solution. When you have multiple products across multiple dev teams this runs into a massive amount of wasted time. The last meeting I attended with a Microsoft resource was basically an hour of listening to him say a bunch of bullshit buzzwords like machine learning when all we wanted to know was how to scale up our SQL for a very specific implementation. I was beyond pissed at the end of the call.

You already made the sale you fuck. Shut up and help us fix the problem.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ... GoToMeeting?

• Options
    We officially unofficially support webex for meetings, which is what most of the people who need to do meetings with external users use.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I splurged and bought myself a new laptop I plan to move my lab to a virtual one on it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Was the title change fat-finger? :lol:

If not I don't get the reference!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Was the title change fat-finger? :lol:

If not I don't get the reference!

Look back a page.

It's 8.

• Options
    P fucking S. If you work for a hospital and you don't know how things work, don't go changing things. Please.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    P fucking S. If you work for a hospital and you don't know how things work, don't go changing things. Please.

You can't tell me what to do! I'm renaming the asset database entry for defibrillators to "sparky hearty-starties" and you can't stop me!

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Ah, databases for medical equipment. Reminds of the colleague who had dialysis equipment failing every 6 months, because the manufacturer had their own developed database that was unable to handle Daylights Saving Time (something you kinda expect to be solved problem around 2012).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm back after 11 days off.

I hate everything.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Wow. It's amazing how much easier it is to function when your department is funded and properly staffed.

• Options
    And when they listen to you. That part helps too.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »

I hate everything.

same

I also love how no one has done anything with the relatively simple things I asked them to follow up on.

twmjr on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

I hate everything.

oh god $thing was broken and I have no idea how $thing works and the guy who runs it is off today so it was definite "click around in the server until it starts working" what a great start to my week after 11 days off.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I'm going to be taking a staycation in a couple of weeks. I emailed all my clients to prepare them to contact helpdesk instead of me directly. I directly told them that I won't be checking my email or voicemail while I'm out. I fully expect to come back to a mess after being off for a week but hopefully it won't all fall apart. Came down with the flu back in the winter and was out for a full week and people were at least understanding. I still came back to over a thousand emails though.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm going to be taking a staycation in a couple of weeks. I emailed all my clients to prepare them to contact helpdesk instead of me directly. I directly told them that I won't be checking my email or voicemail while I'm out. I fully expect to come back to a mess after being off for a week but hopefully it won't all fall apart. Came down with the flu back in the winter and was out for a full week and people were at least understanding. I still came back to over a thousand emails though.

*right click* - Mark as read - *drink coffee*

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

If I could get people to stop emailing me directly and use the helpdesk I might be able to do that. But no, I have to sort through thousands of emails to find the 1 or 2 that are legitimate requests that I need to handle.

• Options

If I could get people to stop emailing me directly and use the helpdesk I might be able to do that. But no, I have to sort through thousands of emails to find the 1 or 2 that are legitimate requests that I need to handle.

if they are that important and you have an out of office reply set up, they should email you again once you return from holidays.

I give no fucks about emails while I'm away with an appropriate out of office reply.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

*Auto-forward all emails to helpdesk for the next week*

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    *right click, delete all*

If it was ACTUALLY important enough to email you in the first place, they will try again.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Anyone at defcon this year?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    We've moved off SFB and onto Teams, about 6000 users in total. It was actually not nearly as crazy as expected. Everyone was also having so many problems with SFB, partly because it sucked and also the policies created were terrible.

Closing your convo window and having it automatically wipe the chat history was the worst decision ever.

I actually don't mind Teams at all, it's been surprisingly bug free for me, but that's just from the perspective of a User. I'm not sure what hell the admin team has to go through with it.

• Options
    Might be going to Re:Invent this December.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Teams is fine, it's just the core chat functionality is worse than slack. Everything else is better/easier in terms of integrations IMO

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've gone down the path of increasingly strident deflections to the helpdesk when people try to use me as their personal tech support bitch.

"The helpdesk can handle this. I'll forward this to them for you."

"Please send this to the helpdesk."

"I don't do ad-hoc tech support. Send this to the helpdesk."

*ignores the email*

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Despite all that, I still have one executive who emails me directly. Every time.

I ignore his emails.

He still emails his tech support requests to me. Then after I've ignored him for a while, he submits a ticket.

It's so weird. Why is he like this?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    Despite all that, I still have one executive who emails me directly. Every time.

I ignore his emails.

He still emails his tech support requests to me. Then after I've ignored him for a while, he submits a ticket.

It's so weird. Why is he like this?

It is because you helped him once and he just associates you with it forever.

• Options
    Request: Please open redshift up to the internet.

Reply: Please jump off a cliff.

• Options
    My vacation started today and it's already more stressful than a normal Wednesday.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Over the last couple of months I've grown more and more frustrated with my job. I'm not making the kind of money I want and I'm sick of being hung out to dry whenever I need help with something. What's really getting to me is constantly having to clean up after other people in the office. It seems like every Friday I'm cleaning up after catered lunch and every Monday morning I'm trying to figure out what the fuck that smell is before clients start stopping by.

My friend and coworker just turned down a job doing IT for a bunch of local car dealerships. We were talking about it last night and he hooked me up with the person he got the offer from. He's got a wife and kids and the health insurance at the new place would have eaten up most of the pay raise for him. Being a single guy with no pre existing conditions my insurance would be about the same. That means it could be a significant pay bump with fewer overall clients and no more emergency oncall.

So I just sent in my resume and cover letter. If I get an offer I will take it to my current employer and ask for a fat pay raise. And if it goes nowhere, at least I still have a job.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    Over the last couple of months I've grown more and more frustrated with my job. I'm not making the kind of money I want and I'm sick of being hung out to dry whenever I need help with something. What's really getting to me is constantly having to clean up after other people in the office. It seems like every Friday I'm cleaning up after catered lunch and every Monday morning I'm trying to figure out what the fuck that smell is before clients start stopping by.

My friend and coworker just turned down a job doing IT for a bunch of local car dealerships. We were talking about it last night and he hooked me up with the person he got the offer from. He's got a wife and kids and the health insurance at the new place would have eaten up most of the pay raise for him. Being a single guy with no pre existing conditions my insurance would be about the same. That means it could be a significant pay bump with fewer overall clients and no more emergency oncall.

So I just sent in my resume and cover letter. If I get an offer I will take it to my current employer and ask for a fat pay raise. And if it goes nowhere, at least I still have a job.

You don't like your current job. If they extend you an offer you like I would just take it. Screw being a janator.

• Options

You don't like your current job. If they extend you an offer you like I would just take it. Screw being a janator.

I don't HAVE to play janitor. It's just that no one else will do it but me. Our cleaning person hardly ever shows up anymore and no one even takes out the trash anymore. After a week it just starts overflowing and ends up on the floor. I'm about at the point where I'm liable to just leave the office and work from home instead of dealing with that shit, though.

• Options

I don't HAVE to play janitor. It's just that no one else will do it but me. Our cleaning person hardly ever shows up anymore and no one even takes out the trash anymore. After a week it just starts overflowing and ends up on the floor. I'm about at the point where I'm liable to just leave the office and work from home instead of dealing with that shit, though.

Let me rephrase this then: go work for someone that hires a janitor if you're given the opportunity.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Homey, I’ll just be glad to hear when you’re not crawling through an OSHA violation every week.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

Let me rephrase this then: go work for someone that hires a janitor if you're given the opportunity.

As someone with some experience in this area, I would not recommend negotiating for a higher raise unless you are in very specific circumstances. In almost all cases, the long-term payoff is not worth it and you are better off just taking the other job outright.

Based on your previous posts, you very clearly do not enjoy your current job or workplace. You also resent not being paid commensurately for the work you do. Even assuming you succeed, forcing your employer's hand will not make this resentment go away. In fact, it will only make it worse, because they very clearly could have afforded to pay you more and simply refused to do so based on your own merit. Also, unless you expect a change in leadership or culture, the same forces that refused to pay you a fair wage will continue to exist in said company. And lastly, now your employer - the same employer that didn't want to give you a raise when you asked for it without leverage - now knows that you are willing to look elsewhere and will (stupidly, being the type of employer that doesn't give raises unless forced to do so) assume that you have "one foot out the door" and will correspondingly treat you as such. Which means don't expect things to get better, rather expect things to get worse.

I do not point these things out to make you feel bad. I point them out because, again, I have some prior experience in this field, and generally speaking this is what tends to happen.

Because employees who feel compelled to leverage other offers in order to get what they consider to be a fair wage tend to also work for employers who do not properly value their employees.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    My last place let me go and have everyone else a raise.

:lol:

It worked out great for me. I have half the stress of before and have shinier toys to play with.

• Options
    Ok, so travel was rough, but now I'm sipping vanilla bourbon on a boat on a lake, so it all evens out.

This discussion has been closed.