As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Dang, the First Order kit is out of stock. That's the only one I still need. $10 for that is a steal.

Yeah, friend of mine needed Scum and that's out too.

Picked up an Empire for myself, and an Empire and Rebel for my friend.

I'm currently making my own quick build ships. Creating them in YASB 2.0 with printable sheets so I don't need to dig out cards or look up bomb rules each time we play. Trying to make basic but fun things to fly that leaves just a little wiggle room after 3 ships for an upgrade or two if need be. Usually ordnance.
    After playing Thursday and needing an hour to gather the cards and pieces, I really wanted something I can get out faster and play more often/times.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now they do mission/scenarios? Now?

Have you heard of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Now they do mission/scenarios? Now?

Have you heard of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster?

after I had quit playing

• Options
    In anticipation of getting empire 2e, I went through and cleared out all my 1e rebel stuff.

I also discovered somewhere I'm missing the dial backers for the two IG-2000 ships. Put them in my Rebel fancy dials for now.

Those dials are never on a good sale.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Barnes and Noble is running a sale on board games (30%) that stacks with their julyreads coupon (20%) which means x-wing stuff essentially half off (44%). So I used this as a good excuse to buy into first order.

• Options
    The FO kit came back in stock at Miniature Market!
    It was $16 shipped, and was still the best price I've seen on it, so I jumped on it.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The new, flappy B-Wing is a religious experience. :D

EDIT: Also, I've got a big company-wide meeting coming soon, and one of the days is a board-gaming intensive day. (Yay, Portland!)

I'm thinking of bringing X-Wing. Anyone ever done a large, multiplayer escalation free-for-all before? Would love to hear any hints or tips, if so.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    You're going to want as few ships per person as possible.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    You're going to want as few ships per person as possible.

I'd also suggest (though not from any personal experience with big group games) pre-made squadrons.
    If you have a new player to the game (or to TT gaming in general) going through ship cards, pilots, upgrades and all can be a bit overwhelming.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Oh, gosh, yes. I mean, in the style of those ongoing Battletech brawls, where you start out with a 1 threat ship, then when that dies you get a 2 threat, etc. You'd just pick something up off the table of options.

I'd print them all out on cards beforehand; I don't plan on bringing (m)any cards. (I might run, like, a normal game later?)

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Current Status of Republic fleet. Thee Delta-7s, four torrents, four Arc-170s (Two Republic, two on loan from Rebellion), one N-1.

I need more N-1s but I also need like four more Hyena Bombers because they are very fun.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Got my first playmat for this.

...how do you store these? O.o

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Before the box got damaged, I stored it in the original box rolled up. That's the way I see most people store it.

Currently mine is rolled up in a puzzle saver box that's very similar to the original box.

Edit: (@see317 I think you have the honor of being the 1500th agree on my posts... idk how to feel about being so agree-able)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

My friend buys big plastic tubes.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

This tube works great for me.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    ywur0uf9937p.png

Some new ships! The Fireball for the Resistance and Major Vonreg's TIE Interceptor for the First Order!

oh h*ck
  • Options
    awryfw5boi5b.png

And card packs. Pilots, Upgrades, and i think Obstacles.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Looks like the middle one says "devices" and the right one says "obstacles".

Are they adding stuff that cannot be gained in conversion kits? Or is this all stuff folks getting on board at 2.0 so they don't have buy conversions for
    otherwise unreleased upgrades/pilots?

• Options
    Looks like the middle one says "devices" and the right one says "obstacles".

Are they adding stuff that cannot be gained in conversion kits? Or is this all stuff folks getting on board at 2.0 so they don't have buy conversions for
    otherwise unreleased upgrades/pilots?

The pilots pack is brand new pilots for the original five factions. I assume it also comes with new ship bases although it could be an alternate Luke.

The upgrade pack apparently comes with the separatist and republic upgrades so you don't have to purchase those ships to get delayed fuses or passive sensors.

The last pack comes with new obstacles and objective play rules/objects.

• Options
    Turkson wrote: »
    awryfw5boi5b.png

And card packs. Pilots, Upgrades, and i think Obstacles.

This is what they SHOULD have done from the start .

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Turkson on
    oh h*ck
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cluster mines are back! Ion bombs!

And yeah shiny upgrades for all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So a dumb question about the game
    I know I quit playing because of the lack of varibles and other reasons. Now they bring out the stuff I did want in the game. Does the 2.0 conversation packs have the cards for the TIE In, the Tie Punisher? The Tie D? Since I think I have 6 or 8 basic ties does it have enough for them all or? The same question for the rebels pack? Does it have multiple cards for 5 X wings?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Conversion kits have cards and cardboard for every 1.0 ship. The store pages for the kits have inventories on number of ships covered.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Conversion kits have cards and cardboard for every 1.0 ship. The store pages for the kits have inventories on number of ships covered.

Where? The Huge ships has a breakdown of what's in the box? the rebel and imperial just have it has cards and tokens?

• Options
    https://xwing-miniatures-second-edition.fandom.com/wiki/Conversion_Kits has a list for each of the kits on the same page.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The rereleases also don't add anything new over the conversion kits. That is why these new booster packs are so exciting.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I have the ships for the most part I wanted just I have to see what I have before I commit to a conversion kit as I know I have more than 4 ties {I was using 6 or so in some games} I think my brother has 4? or 5 x wings and a few of the others since some of them were a pain to get
    But I did say it those boosters is what they should have done to the game

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have so many A-Wings but I need at least one of those blue ones!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

I have 6. Only because Amazon I think made a mistake and sent me a box instead of a ship.

Isn't that paint job the same or similar to the rebel aces expansion?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I have 6. Only because Amazon I think made a mistake and sent me a box instead of a ship.

Isn't that paint job the same or similar to the rebel aces expansion?

the rebel aces a-wing had the mcquarrie concept art a-wing design, i think - whereas the new one is the phoenix squadron paintjob, which is heavily inspired by the concept art colors?

it's confusing

• Options
    So Gencon is over. Top 14 had a lot of list diversity. Republic regen aces takes the whole thing, but every faction was represented at least once in the top 14.

List of lists here on fly better podcast Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1769399006625954?view=permalink&id=2506245219607992&anchor_composer=false&ref=group_header

• Options
    You know I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of Resistance transport shenanigans. Where are my Nodin Chadri coordinate lists? My Vi Moradi and Informant lists?

I mean 4 ship resistance overall makes me happy but to only see Finn is...bleh. His ubiquity seems like something that will absolutely be taken care of with a points update. I highly doubt they meant for this small cheap ship to be an auto inclue.

• Options
    Does anyone have a good source for the quick-build-cards-by-threat-level that FFG puts out? The wiki is a little ... challenging ... to navigate in this respect. I'd love something more spreadsheet-ish.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good source for the quick-build-cards-by-threat-level that FFG puts out? The wiki is a little ... challenging ... to navigate in this respect. I'd love something more spreadsheet-ish.

They make PDFs
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

141fz4vafqy7.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Though I'm making my own "quick builds" because I don't like having to find and pull the cards every time I want to play. This way I just have sheets with pre-built ship configurations and select what I want and maybe grab a torpedo or bomb to get as close to 200 as I can.

vhflhb6le2du.png

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1jH32Qu_gEq3fkHmgFxjVx8qnZRQRhdmj
    If anyone cares or wants my quick builds. I'm a terrible squad builder so it may be worth a laugh at my idea of a good ship load out.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
  • Options
    YASB 2.0 also has a quick build mode.

• Options
    You know looking at most of these things it is a bummer how like half the lists are designed to go to time. Which like I get it, the timer is part of the game, we don't play basketball until a team falls over from exhaustion, but it still feels a little...counterintuitive.

The winning list is designed to wait it out, get ahead on points, and regen back anything at half points. The second place build is meant to take evade every turn, and good luck killing three green dice ships with evade and force. They have the missiles for burst, and can otherwise chip you down. Even swarm lists like the Republic Sinker swarm are designed to have a good initial engagement and then just have too much cheap health for you to catch up on. At least those things do really want to fight, they just rely on efficiency and numbers to come out on top. I also wonder why the Resistance doesn't use R2s. They have astromech slots! Whenever they use them I usually see BBs. Are BBs just better?

I'd rather have silly combo shit like the Torkil/Seevor build that is designed to murder you straight up. I think there should be a place for regen it just shouldn't be autoinclude. They should jack up the price or increase the penalty beyond the disarm token. Combat naturally has breaks where you have to come around and the disarm penalty isn't really one most of the time. It should require a blue maneuver, or you take an additional damage if you're hit the turn you regen.