As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Gaming Mouse Suggestions

krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
The scroll wheel on my cheap-ass Samsung mouse broke, so I've decided I might as well jump in and get a decent gaming mouse. I'm looking to spend around $50 to $100 for a mouse that will last me quite a while. The only requirements for me is that the mouse should be fairly lightweight (so this means that it should probably be corded unless wireless mice in the last two years have gotten significantly lighter).

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
krapst78 on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Logitech MX510/518 or a G5 will never steer you wrong.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Logitech G7.

it's the wireless version of the G5, basically. i mean, it's not heavy by any means, unless you want a paper light mouse or something.

like i said before, the G5 is basically the corded version of the G7, and the mouse comes with these little weights you slide into a slot, to adjust how heavy you want the mouse according to your needs. that should give you an idea of how light you can expect the mouse to be (so that they actually include weights to weigh it down).

but i guess i'd just hold one before buying it. i have no qualms with it, and i use my mouse a lot.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Go to Best Buy or somewhere similar and see which mouse is the most comfortable to you. I noticed a huge difference between my old MS Intellipoint 3 and my current Logitech MX-518. The 518 has a few contours that are just more comfortable to grip.

That said the 518 is my recommendation.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Muriden wrote: »
    Go to Best Buy or somewhere similar and see which mouse is the most comfortable to you.

The biggest names in this field are Logitech and Razer and both make very different shapes of mice suited to different hands/ways of holding mice. I find Razer mice more comfortable than Logitech mice, as do many PAers. Lot's like Logitech mice as well. Neither will really steer you wrong as long as you do your homework.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a Razer Diamondback that I'm pretty happy with.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I was able to try out many of the mice mentioned here during my lunch break and it looks like the G5 is the way go for me. I was worried that it would be too big when looking at it on the web, but after wrapping my hand around it it immediately felt comfortable. Unfortunately, the store in the mall was charging crazy prices (around $55 for the mx510, $75 for the G3, $100 for the G5, $120 for the G7, and $165 for the MX Revolution) so I had to order it online. Thanks again for the great suggestions!

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    G5

I can't use other mouses properly now, not responsive enough and feel weird.

Also you can adjusting the sensitivity on the fly, which can be very useful.
    For example, to speed up slow turrets in games, jack it up. to maintain better control, put it down a bit.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Get a diamondback or copperhead. Logitech mice always seemed to feel like bricks in comparison.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    Paper PlatesPaper Plates Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had some serious issues with the G5. It was an excellent mouse when it worked, but the Setpoint drivers gave me a lot of issues, and after about a year of using it it died. I also felt like the weights were sort of a gimmick. However, I haven't heard of anyone else having these issues, so maybe it was just isolated to me.

I now have a Razer Diamondback and I'm a lot happier with it, I feel like its more comfortable and I really like the extra buttons. I'd recommend the Diamondback.

Paper Plates on
    67o7eh0.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Back from the grave... live again!

I currently have an MX Laser (OMG first laser mouse ever, from logitech) and it has served me very well, but I found a nice deal for a Razer Copperhead, as in 20 bucks cheaper. Should I go for it? My only reservation really is that it seems kinda short compared to my laser mouse.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Logitech G7.

it's the wireless version of the G5, basically. i mean, it's not heavy by any means, unless you want a paper light mouse or something.

like i said before, the G5 is basically the corded version of the G7, and the mouse comes with these little weights you slide into a slot, to adjust how heavy you want the mouse according to your needs. that should give you an idea of how light you can expect the mouse to be (so that they actually include weights to weigh it down).

but i guess i'd just hold one before buying it. i have no qualms with it, and i use my mouse a lot.

Second that. I've had both a G7 and a G5. I really only got the G7 over the G5 because I saw it for 40 bucks on buy.com, but it failed on me in about a year or so, and I needed a replacement pronto, so the G5 it was. I personally don't like my mice too light, and the G7's weight was pretty good. Even with the G5, I ended up adjusting its weight to just about the same as the G7's (with battery in, of course).

Setpoint's actually never given any problems - I like being able to change the sidescrolling to my forward and back buttons for browsing. And it (Setpoint) works pretty well along with my Logitech keyboard, too.

Glocjt on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm a great fan of the Razer Copperhead that I have, but if I had to do it all over, I'd be a wireless mouse. It's so minor, but the weight of the cord actually screws me up.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    indeed, once you notice the cord, you know you're screwed.

as far as razers are concerned... it's just like, there's not enough mouse there. i prefer to have something to put my hand on, not rest two god damn fingers.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    anonywhoanonywho Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd also go with the G5, I have it and love it, it fits my hand perfectly and is really comfortable. Another thing I like about it is the weight tray, so many options for weight, but once you find your favorite, you'll love it.

anonywho on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I guess I'll stick with this mouse until it finally kicks the bucket then upgrade to a new logitech, I require a big mouse for my stupid big hand.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    People that do not say the Logitech MX Revolution have obviously never used the dam thing.

The only problem I can see with it if you are into all the custom sensitivity you may have to map that to a the second mouse wheel of something but really, if you haven't used two mice wheels you haven't truly lived. Clutchless scrolling is a godsend also.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll second the Logitech MX510. I've had mine for years, and it's been used to so much that the emblem that sits below the palm of you hand when the mouse is in use has been completely worn off. It still performs beautifully and fits larger hands perfectly. Do try before you buy, as with any purchase where the item is used by appendages that vary greatly in size from person to person.

Also, they're about $20-30. Spend the extra on a nice new mouse pad. Or invest in soybean futures.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I used a Logitech MX500 for years and then recently replaced it with an MX400. I love them both.

Honestly though, you should go to a Best Buy and see what feels comfortable, and look at the features each mouse has. Me personally, I HAVE to have forward and back buttons on the side of my mouse, as the only way I can play FPS with crouching and going prone is to assign them to those buttons, respectively.

If you do end up getting a Logitech though, don't bother with the official drivers. They're awful. Just use the default windows drivers.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2008
    I love the MX Revolution. I just wish there was a wired version.

Unknown User on