As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hunt: Showdown] 1.0 pushed to PC early, LIVE NOW! Consoles on the 27th!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is that...who I think it is?!

https://youtu.be/CQTsI3ewMUg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I dunno but they look cool!

I dunno but they look cool!
    Col_roosevelt_rough_rider-2.jpg?resize=560%2C396&ssl=1

Welp...its in character for him.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The only acceptable legendary weapons are ones stolen and taken as contraband.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I do like the free hunters that are available. I can go in knowing this guy is desperate and willing to kill for a snickers bar and not worry about getting money out of him.

Hell, buy a medkit and get a couple clues and you still turn a profit if the free guy dies.

It lets me be aggressive in a way that paid for hunter players sometimes not expect.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    edited July 2019
    I took a break after my new Lvl 2 Hunter died instantly to a sniper Mosin Nagant.

I think I'm going to follow your Lvl 1 Clue snagging routine. I just grab a few clues and bug off.

Cantido on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    nlxw9rsk2sd0.png
    Rise up dead man! Hunt: Showdown will be coming to three major platforms in 2019! IT IS CONFIRMED.

Hunt for PC and Xbox will launch on August 27th, 2019 for 39.99 EUR/USD. Meanwhile, PlayStation players will be seeing their own full release of the online game this Fall. In addition to this digital release, we will be partnering with Koch Media to bring the retail version of Hunt to stores worldwide.

Hunt first launched in Early Access on Steam in February 2018 and on Xbox Game Preview in May 2019. Both platforms gave us the unique opportunity to front a community-driven development process, by taking player feedback onboard and integrating it into the game's development roadmap. Since that first release in February 2018, we've released nearly 20 updates and patches, including a new boss, a new map, two new times of day, additional AI, Quick Play, and more than a dozen weapons.

“Developing a game alongside such a passionate community has been so rewarding. It has taken us in new directions, and really inspired us to put everything we have into Hunt," said Lead Hunt Producer Fatih Özbayram. “Now the time has come for the full release, and we couldn't be more excited. We won't forget the support this community has given us."

As a thank you to that dedicated community, everyone who purchased Hunt during Early Access will receive an exclusive Legendary Weapon skin.

https://youtu.be/daihAepmNEY

Dev comment on Reddit:
    Solo and duo players can opt out of matching with trios, 12 players total, it's coming with 1.0 and there will be more info on Dev stream this Thursday!

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Honestly I kinda wish they didn't let solo and duo players opt out because I'm not sure the communities big enough to support trios that are only made up of three friends.

edited July 2019
    Honestly I kinda wish they didn't let solo and duo players opt out because I'm not sure the communities big enough to support trios that are only made up of three friends.

Yeah, 3.6k peak in the past 24 hours is a little rough. I hope that the 1.0 release and the introduction of trios will spark more people trying it out like free weekends have done in the past.

KoopahTroopah on
    edited August 2019
    The test server, and heavily optimizing my settings in the vanilla game, got me really motivated to play this more.

Actually being able to win a gunfight now might have something to do with it. Like, I shoot things and they get hit now. Most of it required outside research. What I dismissed as lag was actually the fact that there are no hitscan weapons in Hunt Showdown.

Cantido on
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I jumped on this last week with a friend (haven’t played in ages) and the new bounty target the Assassin was a pain but fun.

Had such a good game we killed the butcher twice, the spider once and managed to run away with our marks.

edited August 2019
    Now that the money has reset, the economy and meta will change forever. Players who play it like PUBG will go broke. More players will simply nab a few clues and skitter off since money is on the line. The powerful weapons players are complaining about will be rarer too.

EDIT - Eurogamer has determined this game is stellar (article is German): https://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2019-08-21-hunt-showdown-test-das-beste-zweier-welten

Cantido on
  • BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    Picked it up yesterday before the price increase. I like it a lot. The weapons have a good weight/deliberate feel to them and the monsters all present various and interesting challenges, everything has this distinct overall mood and feel to it. I really feel like I'm stalking around on some bayou territory in the deep south in the late 1800's that's been overrun by zombies.

I've been playing solo so I'm just trying to grab a few clues and get out, as whenever I've tried to intercede with the boss(or accidentally ended up fighting the boss) it has not gone well. One time I did manage to steal a bounty token and get the hell out of there, but thats only happened once.

steam_sig.png
    I used to avoid Quickplay like the plague because fuck PUBG. It turned out to be an excellent way to both grind for cash and get comfortable fighting human opponents.

I need to tweak my GeForce 2080 settings because playing this on full blast means I can't see anything in foggy maps and can't fight accordingly.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I may need to try this out the next time that it goes on sale or has a free weekend. The sneaking about aspect appealed to me from early game footage, but early reports of the game becoming pubg-like killed my interest. Going by the last few posts, the economy changes may shift gameplay back towards what initially drew my attention.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    so I play Apex almost religiously and used to play PUBG the same and this game is just another animal entirely.

Sneaking is still definitely valid, this game functions pretty much 95% on sound/situational awareness/tactical awareness. The map size is huge for only (potentially) 12 players, and if you're skulking around with a knife, combat axe, and/or silenced weapons, you're not going to be found easily unless you're running/triggering noisemakers.

I've only played solo so far, but I've managed to sneak up on someone with a cavalry saber and take them out in a panic, and have had a few full-on "metal gear" moments in bounty hunt where I had a duo just running around looking for me and managed to slip by them, once actually stealing a bounty token and getting to extraction safely.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2019
    A lot of PC players are furious over the lack of weapon sway, but I don't play enough "hardcore" FPS games to notice. They say the 1.0 change almost eliminated all weapon sway, reducing gunfights to players doin' the ADAD dance until someone lands a headshot. This was obviously so console players could compete with PC players some day.

EDIT - Also, the Winfield is a pea shooter now.

Cantido on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I picked this up after the free weekend while it was on sale, I'm really liking the game overall and I enjoy the differences between other battle royale type games. I do wish there was some more enemy variety (maybe map or season dependent?) and/or more secondary objectives during the big bounty hunts that could net you money and the like. While I understand drawing people to objectives for them to get into conflicts is sort of the point, having more objectives besides just the clues and main bounties might encourage people to stick around longer and maybe hang around in the peripheries trying to make up the difference between the big scores and the smaller hunts or w/e they would be between themselves.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    SkillUp did a review of this game and I pretty much agree with the things he says
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olAZyoO6cs

This game has been my primary for the past couple of months, it's pretty good

Edit: Also they released 1.3 which changed a lot and made a lot of the weaker guns much better

asofyeun on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Is it still primarily a PvP game where the monsters are just sort of complicated noisemakers? I loved the mood and setting of the game, but ended up settling on the opinion that I was looking for something that was a little more about the monster hunting than the people hunting.

Yeah, it's still more about people hunting than monster hunting.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I want to like this game

but I hate losing hunters

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I have been keeping an eye on this game, still worth playing?

steam_sig.png
    I find it to be a very tense but enjoyable game, but one big aspect of the game is you recruit semi-random hunters and equip them using in-game currency, they can level up after completing missions and gain perks and find weapons, but if you die in the game, you lose that hunter.

This is in addition to player levels which let you get more/better perks to give hunters and more weapons and attachments you can use. When I played I believe there was a player level grace period where before you reach a certain player level, you get your hunters back.

Yeah, it's still worth playing. The player base is unfortunately small. The game is still getting updates - it recently got updated to version 1.4, where they've introduced different intensities for status effects, a new trap, and a new trait. New skins for hunters and weapons are fairly consistent, too.

This is one of the more unique and difficult multiplayer games with some of the best sound design, so as long as it's got players, I'll keep playing.

Update 1.4.1 was released today:

Dual wielding was implemented, and there's a new trait called Ambidextrous which speeds up reloads while dual wielding (and unlocks a special animation for stripper clip loading for the Bornheim and Dolch).

Also, they released a Trials mode, where you do minigames on the map: Sniping challenges, timed trials, and hunting challenges.

There's a streaming event for Hunt: Showdown on Twitch this week. If you watch streamers you get drops for stuff in the game, with chances to get some skins. Also the visibility has meant a decent number of new players out there for now.

I noticed I have become very weak kneed when playing. I need to play more Quickplay. I've become terrified of other players.

The thing is, that fear never completely goes away in this game!

New map is releasing soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720KRBa_H1U

Probably an event coming with it, too.

If anyone was interested in trying Hunt again, they've introduced skill-based matchmaking to help newbies not get crushed by veterans, and the new map dropping probably means an influx of returning and new players, too.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kind of fell out of playing this. Happy to play with people.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    New map is releasing soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720KRBa_H1U

Probably an event coming with it, too.

If anyone was interested in trying Hunt again, they've introduced skill-based matchmaking to help newbies not get crushed by veterans, and the new map dropping probably means an influx of returning and new players, too.

Looks great, and there was already a big spike in players from the Scrapbeak event. The new matchmaking system is also fantastic and really levels out games that involve uneven teams - going solo versus trios is still tense but it's no longer quite as nightmarish as it was.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Hunt is something of a sleeper hit. Unlike most games the player base has been slowly, but surely, climbing since its release.

When it launched the average number of players on Steam was around 3k-4k. Now, almost three and a half years later, it is up to about 15k-17k.

The Scrapbeak event brought in a little over 30k players on Steam.

And of course these are just Steam numbers and doesn't include the consoles, which Hunt does have crossplay between them all.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I imagine the new map will bring in people as well.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    New map is on Test and looks gorgeous.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Played a couple of games with a trio last night and managed to get three bounties out back to back.

Must have seen maybe three players the entire time.

Spider even glitched and just stuck there screaming and we left it and killed the butcher instead. Still got the points for the kill which was weird.

This still having a decent player count or did we just get extremely lucky last night?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It averages around 8k-14k depending on time of day on Steam. The game is crossplay and I’ve no clue on console numbers. Regardless, it’s a fairly healthy player base I’d say.

Edit- not running in to that many players is fairly common as not running in to players is probably your best defense.

Matches won’t start until the game is full.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.