As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Planning on it.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @italianranma

We can use this discord link for voice chat, if you'd like: https://discord.gg/UzrR5r

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Unable tonight, sorry I didn't see this earlier! This whole long weekend I'll be unavailable. :sad:

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that Elvenshae is a gentleman and a scholar and I feel equipped now to try playing this game in person with a few of my friends with beers.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Thanks, mate! You're making me blush!

Oh, no, wait - that's just flashback from my turbolasers.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Someone give me a run-down of the game!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Easily the most exciting part was Elvenshae patiently navigating me through installing Vassal going as far as explaining the difference between JRE and JAVA. After that I sort of followed my heart in the tutorial game and was brutalized by a salvo from the Victory-class destroyer I just barely clipped medium range of. I think I set myself up for success in the following round to start getting into that juicy rear arc with my ships but I think barring some miracle my CR90 was toast.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, we ran the learn-to-play scenario, after dealing with the inevitable difficulties of actually getting Armada on Vassal up-and-running. There really needs to be some kind of ... I dunno, Lazy Newb Pack-equivalent for that. :D It's way more fiddly than it should be.

My Vic2 missed one-shotting the Corvette by 1 point, successfully damaging the CR90's munitions (which would have partially defanged it for the rest of the match). Really lucked out in that I had 1 Accuracy, which I used to prevent the 'vette from Redirecting, and the 'vette's Evade token rerolled my 2-damage red die into ... a 2-damage red die. Ouch. On IR's turn, the NebB splashed some fire on my shields, and I bounced them around to my rear arc, leaving it shieldless but without anybody who could shoot at it immediately.

The fighters, meanwhile, engaged in a bloodbath - the NebB and the 'vette both executed Squadron commands, allowing 3 X-Wings to move up and engage all of my TIEs. One TIE squadron got dropped to a single hit point, and another one got immediately deleted. Luckily for me, the X-Wings attacks were amazingly Accurate, which meant my TIEs were completely prevented from spending tons of defense tokens they didn't have. :D When it was my TIE's turn, though, they made excellent use of their Swarm ability to sneak an extra point or two of damage through, resulting in 2 X-Wing squadrons being sent packing.

Then, we called the game because it was getting late. :D I meant to take a screenshot, but forgot.

ED: Forgot to mention, what was possibly the most fun was talking through various moves, and explaining how or why I was doing something, or why I'd pick a particular die to reroll, or ... Etc.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well as the fall sets in I'd be up for some Armada over vassal.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Anyone up to play tonight? 2030ish Eastern?

• Options
    I'm flying nights the next two weeks, BUT I'm pleased to announce my Quasar showed up today, so I'm definitely taking a picture of my Imperial border garrison tomorrow.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
  • Options
    So, it looks like I'll be able to play tonight, again starting 2030ish Eastern.

Anyone interested?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I have to wash my hair.

(Actually, I have not have much time lately to play on my PC. Which sucks since I found it fun playing Armada. Wish they made a mobile version of Vassal or something like that.)

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Still on nights this week. I need to learn a damn thing about this game, but you know several of us would be all over a PbP like @DaMoonRulz's Vassal HotAC.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Still on nights this week. I need to learn a damn thing about this game, but you know several of us would be all over a PbP like DaMoonRulz's Vassal HotAC.

Huh.

I wonder if there's a way to set up some kind of ... double-blind? ... game, where each group only gets their own updates and needs to plan their turns slightly more in advance ...

Maybe start out with just a basic game (ed: not a double-blind game) with ... 4 players, 2v2? Might be hard because of the far-more-flexible movement rules in Armada (you don't plan your movement for ships in advance, just your speed, and fighters can go wherever-the-heck-they-want) ...

Would anyone else be interested in me refereeing something like that?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I think that would be really cool! PMs or Discord could work for that, I think.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Hrm ... Might be available for some Friday Night Armada, 2030ish+ Eastern again, if anyone's up for it.

• Options
    Anyone up for a Vassal game tomorrow night (Wednesday)? Starting 2030ish Eastern.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    https://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com/ has some SSD spoilers and talks about them briefly. The Executor I and II models are pretty much raid bosses.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love the mental image of Darth Vader flying around on a Gozanti, just force choking commanders at range.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I love the mental image of Darth Vader flying around on a Gozanti, just force choking commanders at range.

I like the image of the lower ranked bridge crew (the kind who are there, but don't get a card) watching their commander getting choked out on deck.
    They turn to one another and shrug before firing off another volley.
    On the command deck behind them, a foot twitches spasmodically.

Outside, a Gozanti cruises by the bridge, and spins briefly as it passes (that's a good trick).
    Another day in the Glorious Imperial Navy.

• Options
    “Sir, incoming message. From the Executor!”
    “Uhh, let the voice mail take it, say I’m in the WC”

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Huh, has there been any talk about how they're physically going to do SSDs?

Seems like they would be... big

*googles*

Yep, big. Though probably still not to the same scale?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

*googles*

Well, that really depends on how big the Super Star Destroyer actually is, right?

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

*googles*

Nothing in Armada is really to scale. Corvettes are much bigger in game than they should be. They're suppose to be about half as long as Nebulon frigates. The game pieces are roughly the same length instead.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    When they first unveiled Armada, they were 100% clear that scale couldn't possibly be a thing for the game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ffg just announced the SSD is delayed till q3.

I suspect this is for an Armada 2.0 support. The xwing relaunch has been so amazing, that I can see them doing it again.

• Options
    I'm going to predict Armada 2.0 is going to have Clone War factions and/or First Order and Resistance stufg.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Turkson wrote: »
    I'm going to predict Armada 2.0 is going to have Clone War factions and/or First Order and Resistance stufg.

It pretty much has to for more recognizable ships. I'm honestly a bit surprised they didn't go with digital point values for legions clone wars.

• Options
    Surprising no one, Clone Wars is coming to Armada. The games not dead!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Got a look at that Super Star Destroyer at Celebration. It's stunning. I don't even play armada, but I think I have to have one.

• Options
    A lot of people have that thought. Armada is a good game!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    2 person cocktail at my local nerdgasm barcade

t108bbdo1d8z.jpg

YOU'RE ALL CLEAR, KID! NOW LET'S CHUG THIS THING AND GO HOME!

• Options
    psc6x34lnwdt.png
    t6v8p0dq6vv6.png
    alec29rc51ey.png

New ships for Q4 2019!

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Gotta admit, no idea what those are.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Starhawk was apparently a key ship in the Battle of Jakku, and the Onager apparently comes from this obscure book.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Starhawk was apparently a key ship in the Battle of Jakku, and the Onager apparently comes from this obscure book.

Looking at Wookieepedia, apparently the Onager didn't actually exist in canon, but was one possibility the Rebellion was investigating when they considered the amount of khyber crystals the Empire was collecting for the Death Star.

They determined that with the amount of crystals collected the Empire could build thousands of super cannons capable of punching through planetary defensive shields or capital ships with ease, or if they were stupidly theatrical they could maybe build a single planet killing super weapon. We all know how that coin landed.

So, I imagine that one's going to be slow moving, slow steering, but capable of dealing a lot of pain to anything unfortunate enough to get in front of it.

The Starhawk has insanely powerful tractor beams, so that's almost certain to be a key ship feature. Don't know how tractor beams play out in Armada though.