As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

enjoy mustard ice cream in the [bad food] thread

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    New Orleans cajun/creole food tour (18 mins).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LY9u_NHwXg

lol i was about to post this.
    He does a pretty good job describing the flavors...for some reason he didnt like the gumbo tho, but he doesnt focus on it much.

I'm from New Orleans, and I'm so glad he gives a specific shout out to the French Bread. its so different in New Orleans...light, airy, not doughy at all, and that helps soak up gravy so well. I miss it so much living in the north.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So this is a pet peeve of mine: Any deli that doesn’t put condiments on. “Salt, pepper, and ketchup are by the front.” No. Put my requested ketchup on, you goobers. I want to get back to my desk and stick my sandwich directly into my orifice. I don’t want to diddle it when I get back and ruin the integrity of the sandwich by opening it and putting ketchup and shit on it after it’s been made. I asked you for a sandwich. You’ve given me an incomplete assortment of ingredients. How dare you. Do your job.

What sandwich are you putting ketchup on, out of curiosity? I like ketchup on many things, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to easily ketchupable deli sandwiches.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    sandwich places will often leave the condiments off of take out orders so the sandwich doesn't get soggy

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    You can order the mustard grilling separately as well.

Animal style denotes other adjustments.

Right, it has extra thousand island and extra pickles, as well as mustard "grilled" patties. Why wouldn't you just go with animal style? I think 109% of all burgers at In-N-Out are animal style.

I get animal fries and a regular double double

Why would you order fries from In-N-Out?

Because they're fine?

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    You can order the mustard grilling separately as well.

Animal style denotes other adjustments.

Right, it has extra thousand island and extra pickles, as well as mustard "grilled" patties. Why wouldn't you just go with animal style? I think 109% of all burgers at In-N-Out are animal style.

I get animal fries and a regular double double

Why would you order fries from In-N-Out?

Because they're fine?

I will submit that In-n-Out fries cooked well done/extra crispy when you request them are decently passable.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I can eat either, but i have no issues with regular In N Out fries since they bring more of the potato flavor. I don't need all my fries to be crunchy and salty.

Madican on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sonic has the most pointless fries in existence. I've never been to a place where the fries are so consistently underwhelming. Clearly they know their real game is in the tots.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The only reason for Sonic fries to exist is as an occasional bonus mixed in with the tots.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Very excited for all of the bad food trucks at gencon tomorrow

I should go to gencon next year

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Everywhere I know of charges extra for cheese

yeah, unless it's baked into the cost of the burger (as you're ordering a cheeseburger for example) it counts as an extra.

Same with bacon

I mean this was an Irish pub but yeah I paid $1 for blue cheese and $2 for bacon on top of a $14 burger yesterday. It is a great fucking burger but still.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So this is a pet peeve of mine: Any deli that doesn’t put condiments on. “Salt, pepper, and ketchup are by the front.” No. Put my requested ketchup on, you goobers. I want to get back to my desk and stick my sandwich directly into my orifice. I don’t want to diddle it when I get back and ruin the integrity of the sandwich by opening it and putting ketchup and shit on it after it’s been made. I asked you for a sandwich. You’ve given me an incomplete assortment of ingredients. How dare you. Do your job.

What sandwich are you putting ketchup on, out of curiosity? I like ketchup on many things, but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to easily ketchupable deli sandwiches.

Bacon, egg, and cheese.

This is a especially egregious example because a BEC with perfectly melted cheese shouldn’t have to be de-gooified to add salt, pepper, or ketchup.

By contrast, I went to my usual deli this morning and got a Bacon, Egg, and Swiss, with Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, and Hot Sauce. They put everything on it at the deli. I got back to my desk and put it directly into my mouth and it was glorious.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    sandwich places will often leave the condiments off of take out orders so the sandwich doesn't get soggy

I don’t believe that’s really true for most good sandwich places. How do you make a Reuben without thousand island, for example? It’s a necessary ingredient to make a Reuben. A dressing is a condiment. Therefore, it is necessary for sandwich places to include condiments in the sandwich making process. QED. ;)

Also, I had actually asked for mayo, salt, pepper, and ketchup. This particular deli told me they would put the mayo on but not the salt, pepper, or ketchup, and that I can “get those at the front.” So they weren’t doing it for that reason either.

It’s actually extremely rare, in my experience, when a deli or sandwich place will not put condiments on the sandwich, even before a long delivery time (like ordered in rather than takeout). I was surprised yesterday. Certainly not the only deli around downtown NYC that does that but it’s not common in my experience.

Drez on
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »

Bacon, egg, and cheese.

This is a especially egregious example because a BEC with perfectly melted cheese shouldn’t have to be de-gooified to add salt, pepper, or ketchup.

By contrast, I went to my usual deli this morning and got a Bacon, Egg, and Swiss, with Salt, Pepper, Ketchup, and Hot Sauce. They put everything on it at the deli. I got back to my desk and put it directly into my mouth and it was glorious.

Ooh. Okay, that does sound good.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This is a goofy thing to be this upset about, it's a damn sandwich, comrade

• Options
    You won’t think it’s so goofy when I become president and have these so-called delicatessens that don’t put condiements on their sandwiches demolished and outlawed and make it a felony to not put ketchup on my bacon egg and cheese sandwich. 1000 years per offense.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that doesn't sound anything like a pizza, how can it be a sandwich

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Here me out
    the same sandwich, but with mustard icecream

• Options
    Seriously though it’s not a big deal. Just a pet peeve. We all have them. That’s why it’s only 1000 years per offense when I become god-emperor.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Irrational pet peeves are my pet peeve.

• Options
    We should make a sad food thread.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Good we can quarantine all those horrible 70’s cook book pictures to it. Those things actually make me nauseous when they get posted.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Actually on the topic of breakfast...

One of my favorite self-made breakfasts is a simple 3-egg omelette stuffed with cream cheese and sometimes bacon. I will sometimes top it with red pepper tabasco sauce. It is amazing.

I’ve been experimenting with adding some sugar to the cream cheese to give it a sweet taste.

What I typically do is take my cream cheese out of the fridge around 30-45 minutes before I make my omelette to soften it. I then either just add 4-5 slices centered in my omelette then sprinkle about 3/4 of a teaspoon of sugar over the cream cheese slices, and fold, flip, and finish cooking. Once, I mixed the same amount of sugar with the softened cream cheese and that tasted slightly better/more blended, but it was a total mess and I lost some cream cheese during the mixing process because it bonded to the spoon.

Any advice?

Drez on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    lol i was about to post this.
    He does a pretty good job describing the flavors...for some reason he didnt like the gumbo tho, but he doesnt focus on it much.

I'm from New Orleans, and I'm so glad he gives a specific shout out to the French Bread. its so different in New Orleans...light, airy, not doughy at all, and that helps soak up gravy so well. I miss it so much living in the north.

I ate seafood gumbo at Emeril's Fish House in Vegas and it blew my mind how insanely good it was.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Oh hey, of course that mustard ice cream is being produced by Coolhaus. Their primary location is pretty close to my work, I might have to swing by and try it out and return with a report.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Good we can quarantine all those horrible 70’s cook book pictures to it. Those things actually make me nauseous when they get posted.

I was working on a foods-in-aspic OP for the next bad food thread but I was too slow. The joke was going to be a series of pictures of aspics, progressing into deep sea creatures, and then fantasy tentacle monsters.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I was working on a foods-in-aspic OP for the next bad food thread but I was too slow. The joke was going to be a series of pictures of aspics, progressing into deep sea creatures, and then fantasy tentacle monsters.

fhtagn

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Warn me if you do it so I can skip the first page.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    You knew the hot dog industry wouldn't take mustard ice cream laying down.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    NO

FUCK

NO

• Options
    What about mustard custard ice cream?

We can call it cumstard ice cream.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What about mustard custard ice cream?

We can call it cumstard ice cream.

I'll take a ..

actually wait, I changed my mind

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'd dip some corn fritters in sweet cream dip

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That counts as a fruit serving therefore it's healthy.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
  • Options
    hmm I wonder if banana chunks deep fry well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Dunno about deep frying, but tostones are totally a, delicious, thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Bananas Foster.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular

Stopping at random thai food places and getting a small bag of battered and fried bananas was a common occurrence for me when I lived in Orange County, CA.

This discussion has been closed.